Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,434 members, 7,819,568 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 06:18 PM

Oba Of Lagos Visits Oba Of Benin - Culture (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Oba Of Lagos Visits Oba Of Benin (26970 Views)

Eheneden Erediauwa To Be Crowned Oba Of Benin / "Ooni Of Ife Is Oba Of Benin's Son,Not In The Same Class"-Bini Palace To Alake / 8 Things Visitors Are Forbidden To Do At Oba Of Benin Palace (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Oba Of Lagos Visits Oba Of Benin by tpia5: 11:45pm On Jul 04, 2013
bokohalal:
Like?

i was referring to musiwa's posts.
Re: Oba Of Lagos Visits Oba Of Benin by DuduNegro: 12:35am On Jul 05, 2013
PhysicsQED:

I don't really feel it would be worth the time to go back to those threads on this forum or elsewhere to list the comments of different people and show what group the majority of those posters delighting in a supposed "snub" or "humiliation" of GEJ are from. I know what I saw and I know it doesn't make sense to suggest that Binis are the ones emphasizing that picture or twisting it to make it look like it was a snub. The whole thing is about politics, and ACN (and now APC) supporters were/are the ones that would be most inclined to find some excuse to mock GEJ, even when the mockery isn't warranted.

Im not looking for evidence of who said what. It is sufficient given the usual mob mentality around such topics for anyone to moderately agree that

1. Binis will see a sense of elation in the story and will respond accordingly

2. Political opponents of Gej will see humor and ridicule in the show and respond accordingly.

**Binis are in Edo State. Edo state is ACN. ACN is opposition to Gej. Oba of Bini endorses ACN.

3. It is wrong to give it a Yoruba/ACN show when in fact Binis are also in ACN.

If you have a problem with how some Binis view the Oba of Benin, then that's your own problem, and you're welcome to file a complaint to whoever will hear it. But my issue was with you making it seem as if ifihearam and everyone else making claims about the Oba of Benin and the nature of his interactions with other people is Bini, when this isn't the case.

Dude, Binis are among those who with other ethnics saw humor and a position of weakness in the president. Whether ifihearam is Bini or not is secondary but thanks for letting me know he is itsekiri and not Bini.
Re: Oba Of Lagos Visits Oba Of Benin by PhysicsQED(m): 1:09am On Jul 05, 2013
Wow. You've totally distorted what actually happened. Of the people in those threads whose ethnicity we already know, the majority of those delighting in the supposed "humiliation" or "snub" of GEJ were clearly ACN supporters of Yoruba extraction and there's not even the slightest bit of evidence that the smaller amount whose ethnicity we don't know were Bini. I didn't say that there weren't non-Yorubas who support ACN or that there were no non-Yoruba ACN members that also mocked GEJ after that meeting. That's not the point. The ACN supporters mocking GEJ over that meeting were overwhelmingly not Bini, but from another ethnic group, yet for some strange reason you refuse to admit that and are trying to assign responsibility for the mockery to the Bini. Did you actually read those threads?

I almost feel it's a waste of time arguing this now because you've completely twisted the truth in order to shift the responsibility for the mockery of GEJ in those threads from those who were the vast majority that did so to those who either barely participated or were nowhere to be found. I'm starting to think this is because those who were the majority were from the same ethnic group as yourself, rather than the group you wanted to assign responsibility to.

Try and approach things with at least a little bit of objectivity, otherwise there's not even any point discussing this. And I don't understand why you think Binis would "see a sense of elation" in the media twist on the story when there's nothing in that to derive a sense of elation from. Binis should be elated that the media and people who delight in mocking GEJ twisted the story to claim that what wasn't a snub was a snub?
Re: Oba Of Lagos Visits Oba Of Benin by gothrones(m): 3:28am On Jul 05, 2013
Akanniade:
Hmmm but his great grand father could not teleport when the British had him in chains and exiled him to calabar.
LMAOOOOO!
Re: Oba Of Lagos Visits Oba Of Benin by DuduNegro: 5:30am On Jul 05, 2013
PhysicsQED: Wow. You've totally distorted what actually happened. Of the people in those threads whose ethnicity we already know, the majority of those delighting in the supposed "humiliation" or "snub" of GEJ were clearly ACN supporters of Yoruba extraction and there's not even the slightest bit of evidence that the smaller amount whose ethnicity we don't know were Bini. I didn't say that there weren't non-Yorubas who support ACN or that there were no non-Yoruba ACN members that also mocked GEJ after that meeting. That's not the point. The ACN supporters mocking GEJ over that meeting were overwhelmingly not Bini, but from another ethnic group, yet for some strange reason you refuse to admit that and are trying to assign responsibility for the mockery to the Bini. Did you actually read those threads?

Answer this....were there Binis that joined this mockery or not?

I almost feel it's a waste of time arguing this now because you've completely twisted the truth in order to shift the responsibility for the mockery of GEJ in those threads from those who were the vast majority that did so to those who either barely participated or were nowhere to be found. I'm starting to think this is because those who were the majority were from the same ethnic group as yourself, rather than the group you wanted to assign responsibility to.

Those in the majority and in the minority are all participants in the mockery. Whether 10 Yorubas and 2 Binis does not matter. I dont understand your point. Im saying its wrong to continue to show and mock that picture and here you come telling us Yorubas are guilty. Is it the guilt that will stop the mockery or a moral call to everybody. There are people that are yet to join NL and when they do and see it they will still mock because the image is a vulnerable one.

When the picture of the exiled Oba was brought here and people mocked it who stood up in defense of it? This is a moral call, not a democratic headcount for guilt. Wake up dude!

Try and approach things with at least a little bit of objectivity, otherwise there's not even any point discussing this. And I don't understand why you think Binis would "see a sense of elation" in the media twist on the story when there's nothing in that to derive a sense of elation from. They should be elated that the media and people who delight in mocking GEJ twisted the story to claim that what wasn't a snub was a snub?

You might want to wake the thread back up since you are so caught up in this majority offender thing. Everyone offends you....Yorubas offend you, even when its not the case; Igbos offend you even when it is not the case....

If Bini wants to be part of Nigeria then you are open to political jibes and humor and mockery just as all other ethnics are....you are not special, though you guys believe that you are and see yourself as such.
Re: Oba Of Lagos Visits Oba Of Benin by PhysicsQED(m): 8:28am On Jul 05, 2013
Dudu_Negro:

Answer this....were there Binis that joined this mockery or not?

Why don't you point them out to me? You're the one who keeps emphasizing this Bini mockery of GEJ through that picture, yet you haven't made any effort to show me the evidence.

You wrote this below to a poster who sometimes goes out of his way to insult Binis, thinking for whatever reason that he was Bini:

Dudu Negro: You Binis wrap too much mystery and fables around Omo N'Oba than he deserves. You are destroying the true value of the throne. It is disrespectful to the Oba's stool of authority to portray him demeaning or belittling an important guest to his domain.

Why don't you provide this evidence of a Bini portraying the Oba as demeaning or belittling an important guest?

Those in the majority and in the minority are all participants in the mockery. Whether 10 Yorubas and 2 Binis does not matter. I dont understand your point. Im saying its wrong to continue to show and mock that picture and here you come telling us Yorubas are guilty. Is it the guilt that will stop the mockery or a moral call to everybody. There are people that are yet to join NL and when they do and see it they will still mock because the image is a vulnerable one.

When the picture of the exiled Oba was brought here and people mocked it who stood up in defense of it? This is a moral call, not a democratic headcount for guilt. Wake up dude!

You made this about the Binis. You didn't acknowledge that it was politically motivated until I pointed that out. Rather, you said it was due to the Binis "wrapping too much mystery and fables around" the Oba of Benin than you feel he deserved.

Going by your logic, if a Bini poster had delighted in the so-called snub and had mocked GEJ for it using that photo, it would mean that it was because that Bini person wanted to portray the Oba as "invincible" and because that Bini poster was "wrapping mysteries and fables" around the Oba, not because that Bini person is an ACN supporter or someone who just who dislikes GEJ for political reasons and wants to find some excuse to mock him. The mockery was/is politically motivated and not what you're making it out to be ('wrapping too much mystery and fables around the Oba' on the part of the Bini) and that's what I disagree with you about.

Now you're writing stuff about me making this about Yorubas. I didn't say "Yorubas are guilty" I said those that dislike GEJ for political reasons and are ACN supporters were the ones behind it and the majority of those were Yorubas - which they were whether you want to believe it or not. If you simply refuse to accept that, then that's your own problem to sort out - I don't intend to convince you otherwise.

You might want to wake the thread back up since you are so caught up in this majority offender thing. Everyone offends you....Yorubas offend you, even when its not the case; Igbos offend you even when it is not the case....

If Bini wants to be part of Nigeria then you are open to political jibes and humor and mockery just as all other ethnics are....you are not special, though you guys believe that you are and see yourself as such.

I wasn't the one offended. You're the one who started lecturing a person ('ifihearam') you mistakenly thought was Bini about not mocking GEJ using the picture, and you made the issue about the perception of the Oba among the Binis as a whole, as if that one person - even if he had been Bini - could represent the attitudes of Binis in general about the Oba receiving VIPs or traveling to visit other people.

You need to recognize that politically motivated mockery of politicians is going to come in various forms and may have nothing to do with a certain ethnicity "wrapping too much mystery and fables around" their king or trying to make their king seem "invincible".
Re: Oba Of Lagos Visits Oba Of Benin by DuduNegro: 4:12pm On Jul 05, 2013
PhysicsQED:

Why don't you point them out to me? You're the one who keeps emphasizing this Bini mockery of GEJ through that picture, yet you haven't made any effort to show me the evidence.

You are well spoken and have an impressive command of language but beyond that you are very unreasonable. Unfortunately for you this issue is about reason and not style of penmanship and you come out clearly irrational in your continued juvenile defense of an indefensible position.

First you said it was Yoruba majority mocking Gej, which clearly would be ethnic. Then you attribute politics in association with ACN. If political opponents of Gej should be blamed, are Binis not majority ACN? Unless you are saying only Yoruba ACN participated.

I don't know who is Bini or not Bini and except for a handful of people here that i know intimately, i cant even tell you whether the person writing from behind a "ola", "ade", "ayo" or "segun" name in nl is truly Yoruba. Asking for evidence to prove who is Bini again exposes your lack of reasonable expectations.

You wrote this below to a poster who sometimes goes out of his way to insult Binis, thinking for whatever reason that he was Bini:

You left out my plea for a "stop" to the nonsense. You hung to my misidentification of ifihearam as a non-Bini person but omitted my moral defense of the institution.

Another display of bias and narrowness of mind.

Why don't you provide this evidence of a Bini portraying the Oba as demeaning or belittling an important guest?

You made this about the Binis. You didn't acknowledge that it was politically motivated until I pointed that out. Rather, you said it was due to the Binis "wrapping too much mystery and fables around" the Oba of Benin than you feel he deserved.

Halleluyah!! Dudu did not know there was a political undertone to the mockery until the "all important" physicsqed pointed it out. Let us all praise Physics for his mercy....Hallelu..Halleluyah!!

Since you pointed out that political opposition, ACN, was having a field day on Gej, and Edo State is ACN, then rational minds can put two and two together, without need for evidence to say Binis, in inclusion with others in ACN, were mocking GEJ in the aftermath of that visit. Was it a Yorubaman or a Biniman that took the picture and posted on net? The palace should not even have allowed a release of the picture to begin with. It is in bad taste.

Going by your logic, if a Bini poster had delighted in the so-called snub and had mocked GEJ for it using that photo, it would mean that it was because that Bini person wanted to portray the Oba as "invincible" and because that Bini poster was "wrapping mysteries and fables" around the Oba, not because that Bini person is an ACN supporter or someone who just who dislikes GEJ for political reasons and wants to find some excuse to mock him. The mockery was/is politically motivated and not what you're making it out to be ('wrapping too much mystery and fables around the Oba' on the part of the Bini) and that's what I disagree with you about.

Now you're writing stuff about me making this about Yorubas. I didn't say "Yorubas are guilty" I said those that dislike GEJ for political reasons and are ACN supporters were the ones behind it and the majority of those were Yorubas - which they were whether you want to believe it or not. If you simply refuse to accept that, then that's your own problem to sort out - I don't intend to convince you otherwise.

I wasn't the one offended. You're the one who started lecturing a person ('ifihearam') you mistakenly thought was Bini about not mocking GEJ using the picture, and you made the issue about the perception of the Oba among the Binis as a whole, as if that one person - even if he had been Bini - could represent the attitudes of Binis in general about the Oba receiving VIPs or traveling to visit other people.

You need to recognize that politically motivated mockery of politicians is going to come in various forms and may have nothing to do with a certain ethnicity "wrapping too much mystery and fables around" their king or trying to make their king seem "invincible".

I dont need to respond to all these nonsense, it is a loop....just going around in circles over same points. You like to elongate and write thesis on simple matters. Like i said, you are in your element with grammatical twists and wordsmithing but you are in my waters when it comes to logic and rationality.
Re: Oba Of Lagos Visits Oba Of Benin by Baro(m): 7:26pm On Jul 05, 2013
@ Dudu Negro & PhysicsQED

Am interested in your discourse, will read through and make My Contributions.

Cheers.
Re: Oba Of Lagos Visits Oba Of Benin by MacLovington(m): 8:50pm On Jul 05, 2013
n
Re: Oba Of Lagos Visits Oba Of Benin by MacLovington(m): 9:33pm On Jul 05, 2013
blink182: are you trying to tell me you are in your 40's? You want to be bini more than bini people?

My good man, there are lecturers, company CEOs, consultants (doctors/surgeons) etc on this forum. I also know of a senior state government official who's a Nairalander. Yes people well over 40.

There are people whose mothers hail from Benin Royal family and ducal families of Benin (themselves of Benin Royal descent) who have Igbo or Yoruba dads.

A daughter of the current Oba of Benin is married to a non-Bini person.

That somebody goes by Adeyinka Fapohunda or Eze Okafor doesn't mean he doesn't have strong Bini ties.

You may not know, but Benin used to be the centre a relatively big empire (by African standards) and was a melting pot of sorts. Until about 1890s, many people in Benin could speak pidgin portuguese like we speak pidgin English today. Before English took over.

My point is Bini People are quite mixed (a fact unknown to many). But the culture, long history and monarchy unite everyone.
Re: Oba Of Lagos Visits Oba Of Benin by PhysicsQED(m): 11:25pm On Jul 05, 2013
Dudu Negro, I don't care what you think of my writing style, but I'll try to keep this quite simple and avoid using any very long sentences so you don't think I'm making any attempt at "wordsmithing" (I'm not).

According to you, I said that it that it was "Yoruba majority mocking GEJ." This shows a lack of comprehension of something that was stated clearly. I said that it was ACN opponents of GEJ using the picture to mock GEJ and that the majority of these whose ethnic background were known were Yoruba and that if there were any Bini doing so, nobody has been able to point them out. So it is silly of you to go on about how Binis are the ones depreciating the image of the Benin monarchy by making the Oba appear to be belittling and demeaning important guests.

You seem not to comprehend the difference here for some reason, and you seem, amazingly, to be trying to paint me as the one making this ethnic. How you can make something ethnic so explicitly and then turn around and accuse the other person of making an issue ethnic when they correct what you wrote, I don't know. It's just bizarre.

Then you attribute politics in association with ACN. If political opponents of Gej should be blamed, are Binis not majority ACN? Unless you are saying only Yoruba ACN participated.

The very first thing I said was that it was politically motivated - unlike you who went for the ethnic angle and tried blaming it on the Binis with your talk about "wrapping too much mystery and fables." Then I pointed out that these politically motivated mockers using that photo were not even Bini, but that the majority of those whose ethnicity anyone could identify were from your own group. How much sense does it then make for you to start harping on about Binis using the photo and depreciating the monarchy's image? But were you calling anti-GEJ ACN supporters to order about the use of the photo? No. You'd rather write a bunch of stuff about Binis and mystery, fables, invincibility, blah blah blah

I don't know who is Bini or not Bini and except for a handful of people here that i know intimately, i cant even tell you whether the person writing from behind a "ola", "ade", "ayo" or "segun" name in nl is truly Yoruba. Asking for evidence to prove who is Bini again exposes your lack of reasonable expectations.

So why do you keep claiming Binis were mocking GEJ after the visit, when you simply have no evidence? You're the one exposing your own irrationality here. You put forward a claim based on a bunch of flimsy assumptions and no investigation or evidence and I tell you that you have to prove it, and then you claim I'm unreasonable for asking for proof that your assumptions have any validity.

You left out my plea for a "stop" to the nonsense. You hung to my misidentification of ifihearam as a non-Bini person but omitted my moral defense of the institution.

The issue for me is not whether you did or did not put up an attempt at a "moral defense of the institution" (in your own way). What I did was to correct what you wrote as far as the Binis and that photo. What you wrote was in bad taste because you deliberately refused to mention the political motivation for the photo nonsense that you wanted to stop but instead tried to ethnicize it and started going on about how the Binis were trying to make the Oba look "invincible" "cold and calculating" and "wrapped in mystery."

Halleluyah!! Dudu did not know there was a political undertone to the mockery until the "all important" physicsqed pointed it out. Let us all praise Physics for his mercy....Hallelu..Halleluyah!!

Once again you have difficulty understanding what I stated. I used no vague or ambiguous words so I don't see why you're having difficulty understanding what I wrote. If I wanted to say that you weren't aware that it was politically motivated, don't you think I would have said so already?

It's about whether you acknowledged it. You did not acknowledge this before I pointed it out because you intended to play up the strange angle about Binis "wrapping mystery and fables around the Oba" and "trying to make him seem invincible" while deliberately omitting what was actually relevant here as far as the use of the photo of GEJ's visit.

I'm not accusing you of ignorance, I'm accusing you of deliberately omitting what was actually relevant here as far as the use of the photo (politics), in order to complain about something else that bothers you about an ethnic group (Binis 'wrapping too much fables and mystery' around the Oba of Benin or trying to make him seem 'invincible') and make it seem like that was why GEJ was being mocked with that photo.

Since you pointed out that political opposition, ACN, was having a field day on Gej, and Edo State is ACN, then rational minds can put two and two together, without need for evidence to say Binis, in inclusion with others in ACN, were mocking GEJ in the aftermath of that visit.

Rational minds would first try and find evidence that Binis, whether in ACN or anything else, were mocking GEJ in the aftermath of that visit instead of claiming that they don't need evidence. And if they saw that they couldn't find Binis mocking GEJ because of that visit maybe they might realize how wrong it was to go on about the issue of Binis depreciating the image of the monarchy by trying to mock GEJ with that photo.

But if they found evidence for Binis mocking GEJ after that visit, rational minds would try to determine if this mockery was because these Binis dislike GEJ because of their political outlook and their personal opinion of him as a leader or if they were mocking GEJ because they wanted to "wrap mystery" around the Oba and make the Oba look "invincible."

They would not start by naively assuming that the motivation for a Bini to mock GEJ with that photo was to make the Oba appear "cold and calculating" and inclined toward "demeaning and belittling important guests". They would not go off on an irrelevant rant about how the Binis should or should not view their Oba while deliberately omitting mention of the political motivation behind the mockery. Rational minds would not do these things, but for some reason rationality has been completely lost on you in this thread.

Was it a Yorubaman or a Biniman that took the picture and posted on net?

How should I know? If you know the person who took the picture and the person who put it online, you can name them and point them out to me - it would be the first time in this thread that you make an effort to provide evidence for something.

The palace should not even have allowed a release of the picture to begin with. It is in bad taste.

So now the Benin palace officials spoke with the journalists and photographers about that one specific photo and authorized them to release it. What nonsense. Next you'll say that this is a "rational" assumption, but when I ask you for even the slightest bit of evidence to show that the journalists and photographers they let into the palace for the visit didn't take the photo and put it online on their own initiative, without consulting anybody, you'll just ignore the need for evidence and start claiming that this assumption is so "rational" that you don't need evidence for it.
Re: Oba Of Lagos Visits Oba Of Benin by preciousoz: 2:00am On Jul 06, 2013
Dudu_Negro:

We Binis are special and unique in every way (same for all tribes and races) . Deal with it bro/sis .......... why all the Hate ? Cool down !!!
Re: Oba Of Lagos Visits Oba Of Benin by DuduNegro: 2:42am On Jul 06, 2013
PhysicsQED: Dudu Negro, I don't care what you think of my writing style, but I'll try to keep this quite simple and avoid using any very long sentences so you don't think I'm making any attempt at "wordsmithing" (I'm not).

According to you, I said that it that it was "Yoruba majority mocking GEJ." This shows a lack of comprehension of something that was stated clearly. I said that it was ACN opponents of GEJ using the picture to mock GEJ and that the majority of these whose ethnic background were known were Yoruba and that if there were any Bini doing so, nobody has been able to point them out. So it is silly of you to go on about how Binis are the ones depreciating the image of the Benin monarchy by making the Oba appear to be belittling and demeaning important guests.

You seem not to comprehend the difference here for some reason, and you seem, amazingly, to be trying to paint me as the one making this ethnic. How you can make something ethnic so explicitly and then turn around and accuse the other person of making an issue ethnic when they correct what you wrote, I don't know. It's just bizarre.

The very first thing I said was that it was politically motivated - unlike you who went for the ethnic angle and tried blaming it on the Binis with your talk about "wrapping too much mystery and fables." Then I pointed out that these politically motivated mockers using that photo were not even Bini, but that the majority of those whose ethnicity anyone could identify were from your own group. How much sense does it then make for you to start harping on about Binis using the photo and depreciating the monarchy's image? But were you calling anti-GEJ ACN supporters to order about the use of the photo? No. You'd rather write a bunch of stuff about Binis and mystery, fables, invincibility, blah blah blah

So why do you keep claiming Binis were mocking GEJ after the visit, when you simply have no evidence? You're the one exposing your own irrationality here. You put forward a claim based on a bunch of flimsy assumptions and no investigation or evidence and I tell you that you have to prove it, and then you claim I'm unreasonable for asking for proof that your assumptions have any validity.

The issue for me is not whether you did or did not put up an attempt at a "moral defense of the institution" (in your own way). What I did was to correct what you wrote as far as the Binis and that photo. What you wrote was in bad taste because you deliberately refused to mention the political motivation for the photo nonsense that you wanted to stop but instead tried to ethnicize it and started going on about how the Binis were trying to make the Oba look "invincible" "cold and calculating" and "wrapped in mystery."

Once again you have difficulty understanding what I stated. I used no vague or ambiguous words so I don't see why you're having difficulty understanding what I wrote. If I wanted to say that you weren't aware that it was politically motivated, don't you think I would have said so already?

It's about whether you acknowledged it. You did not acknowledge this before I pointed it out because you intended to play up the strange angle about Binis "wrapping mystery and fables around the Oba" and "trying to make him seem invincible" while deliberately omitting what was actually relevant here as far as the use of the photo of GEJ's visit.

I'm not accusing you of ignorance, I'm accusing you of deliberately omitting what was actually relevant here as far as the use of the photo (politics), in order to complain about something else that bothers you about an ethnic group (Binis 'wrapping too much fables and mystery' around the Oba of Benin or trying to make him seem 'invincible') and make it seem like that was why GEJ was being mocked with that photo.

Rational minds would first try and find evidence that Binis, whether in ACN or anything else, were mocking GEJ in the aftermath of that visit instead of claiming that they don't need evidence. And if they saw that they couldn't find Binis mocking GEJ because of that visit maybe they might realize how wrong it was to go on about the issue of Binis depreciating the image of the monarchy by trying to mock GEJ with that photo.

But if they found evidence for Binis mocking GEJ after that visit, rational minds would try to determine if this mockery was because these Binis dislike GEJ because of their political outlook and their personal opinion of him as a leader or if they were mocking GEJ because they wanted to "wrap mystery" around the Oba and make the Oba look "invincible."

They would not start by naively assuming that the motivation for a Bini to mock GEJ with that photo was to make the Oba appear "cold and calculating" and inclined toward "demeaning and belittling important guests". They would not go off on an irrelevant rant about how the Binis should or should not view their Oba while deliberately omitting mention of the political motivation behind the mockery. Rational minds would not do these things, but for some reason rationality has been completely lost on you in this thread.

How should I know? If you know the person who took the picture and the person who put it online, you can name them and point them out to me - it would be the first time in this thread that you make an effort to provide evidence for something.

So now the Benin palace officials spoke with the journalists and photographers about that one specific photo and authorized them to release it. What nonsense. Next you'll say that this is a "rational" assumption, but when I ask you for even the slightest bit of evidence to show that the journalists and photographers they let into the palace for the visit didn't take the photo and put it online on their own initiative, without consulting anybody, you'll just ignore the need for evidence and start claiming that this assumption is so "rational" that you don't need evidence for it.

Let it rest, i got far better issues to attend to than a back and forth dribble on a simple matter - mis identification of ifihearam as a non-Bini and characterizatization of Binis as going above the line to weave mystery and fable around their Oba.

I am not wrong on my perception of the Binis at all. Your Oba is not invincible but you paint a picture of invicibility around him.
Re: Oba Of Lagos Visits Oba Of Benin by PhysicsQED(m): 5:10am On Jul 06, 2013
^
I have no real interest in what your perception is of how the Binis regard the Oba of Benin. Like I said earlier, file a complaint with the "Ministry of Bini Affairs" or something if it bothers you so much - it's not like I give a damn.

The point is, you need to direct your lectures about people claiming the Oba of Benin supposedly "snubbed" or belittled an important guest toward those that are actually doing that - the political opposition to GEJ - and direct it away from the Binis instead of just looking for an excuse to make a complaint about another ethnic group.
Re: Oba Of Lagos Visits Oba Of Benin by DuduNegro: 5:31am On Jul 06, 2013
PhysicsQED: ^
I have no real interest in what your perception is of how the Binis regard the Oba of Benin. Like I said earlier, file a complaint with the "Ministry of Bini Affairs" or something if it bothers you so much - it's not like I give a damn.

The point is, you need to direct your lectures about people claiming the Oba of Benin supposedly "snubbed" or belittled an important guest toward those that are actually doing that - the political opposition to GEJ - and direct it away from the Binis instead of just looking for an excuse to make a complaint about another ethnic group.

What party is that?
Re: Oba Of Lagos Visits Oba Of Benin by PhysicsQED(m): 5:34am On Jul 06, 2013
Dudu_Negro:

What party is that?

APC, and?
Re: Oba Of Lagos Visits Oba Of Benin by bokohalal(m): 2:15pm On Jul 06, 2013
Dudu_Negro:

Let it rest, i got far better issues to attend to than a back and forth dribble on a simple matter - mis identification of ifihearam as a non-Bini and characterizatization of Binis as going above the line to weave mystery and fable around their Oba.

I am not wrong on my perception of the Binis at all. Your Oba is not invincible but you paint a picture of invicibility around him.

You are right on your perception of the Binis but wrong on the invicibility of the Oba.
The Omo n Oba is seen by the Binis as an extension of a Bini. He epitomises how a Bini sees himself/herself. The reverence to our King is a reverence to ourself. Instinctively, we will defend and protect ourselves against danger or harm as we will the Oba. What affects us affects the Oba and vice versa. He is our king. We care less how you see yourself and your Oba. He could be carried away and you replace him with another. That tells much how you see yourself and your king.
Agha mie Edo-when you see an Edo
Aghi mie Oba-you see a king
Agha mie Oba-when you see a king
Aghi mie Osanobua-you see God.
That explains the Edo and his relationship with his Oba and God. He is trinity. Edo,Omo n Oba and God are invincible.
Re: Oba Of Lagos Visits Oba Of Benin by DuduNegro: 3:45pm On Jul 06, 2013
bokohalal:

You are right on your perception of the Binis but wrong on the invicibility of the Oba.
The Omo n Oba is seen by the Binis as an extension of a Bini. He epitomises how a Bini sees himself/herself. The reverence to our King is a reverence to ourself. Instinctively, we will defend and protect ourselves against danger or harm as we will the Oba. What affects us affects the Oba and vice versa. He is our king. We care less how you see yourself and your Oba. He could be carried away and you replace him with another. That tells much how you see yourself and your king.
Agha mie Edo-when you see an Edo
Aghi mie Oba-you see a king
Agha mie Oba-when you see a king
Aghi mie Osanobua-you see God.
That explains the Edo and his relationship with his Oba and God. He is trinity. Edo,Omo n Oba and God are invincible.

This is an understatement and an unnecessary contribution. Is it not the reality that every ethnic people cherish and love their Kings and the throne he sits on? How is Bini different?
Re: Oba Of Lagos Visits Oba Of Benin by bokohalal(m): 3:58pm On Jul 06, 2013
Dudu_Negro:

This is an understatement and an unnecessary contribution. Is it not the reality that every ethnic people cherish and love their Kings and the throne he sits on? How is Bini different?
That is not the reality for every ethnic group.
If the Bini perception of their king was not different how come your angle of the Binis seeing their king as invincible? Certainly,you do not see your king thus that is why you have a problem with the Bini way.You are the grandmaster of logic. Remember.
Re: Oba Of Lagos Visits Oba Of Benin by DuduNegro: 8:31pm On Jul 06, 2013
bokohalal:
That is not the reality for every ethnic group.
If the Bini perception of their king was not different how come your angle of the Binis seeing their king as invincible? Certainly,you do not see your king thus that is why you have a problem with the Bini way.You are the grandmaster of logic. Remember.

A perception is not necessarily a TRUTH but a view observed from an angle.

Reality is ALL people have a complementary regard for their monarchs. My perception is but an angle ....a subset of the totality, it could be wrong and it could be right but it is nonetheless valid.
Re: Oba Of Lagos Visits Oba Of Benin by PhysicsQED(m): 1:48am On Jul 07, 2013
Dudu_Negro:
Is it not the reality that every ethnic people cherish and love their Kings and the throne he sits on?

Perhaps the reality is that some cherish their king more than others.
Re: Oba Of Lagos Visits Oba Of Benin by DuduNegro: 8:35am On Jul 07, 2013
PhysicsQED:

Perhaps the reality is that some cherish their king more than others.

Unfortunately there are no metrics available by which this scale of love can be measured. It remains subjective and perceptive, no more, no less!
Re: Oba Of Lagos Visits Oba Of Benin by bokohalal(m): 10:46am On Jul 07, 2013
Dudu_Negro:

Unfortunately there are no metrics available by which this scale of love can be measured. It remains subjective and perceptive, no more, no less!
Not being metric does not make it less real.
Consider this two appellations for Oba.
Ikeji Orisa-Yoruba
Oba n Osa-Edo
We know which people see their king as next to God and those that think He is God. That is measurable perception of how a people view their king.
I am an atheist but I know how religionists see their God.
Re: Oba Of Lagos Visits Oba Of Benin by Born2Breed(f): 10:53am On Jun 04, 2016
Akanniade:

Hmmm but his great grand father could not teleport when the British had him in chains and exiled him to calabar.

He was betrayed by a greedy chief
Re: Oba Of Lagos Visits Oba Of Benin by AbroadBabe(f): 9:47am On Aug 03, 2016
Baro:
@ Dudu Negro & PhysicsQED

Am interested in your discourse, will read through and make My Contributions.

Cheers.
goodmorning
Pls vote for falconey for mr nairaland.
Today is the semi final and i dont want him to lose.
Pls check my signature cry

It starts by 10am and end by 6pm
The link to the thread is on my profile/signature.
When you get to the thread..pls type: " i vote falconey cc nljega"

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Nigerian Pidgin Internet Slangs / 7 Important Facts To Know About Eze Nri Of The Igbos. / Are There Any Experts On Traditional Igbo Religion?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 136
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.