Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,148 members, 7,825,587 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 06:13 PM

Oba Of Lagos Visits Oba Of Benin - Culture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Oba Of Lagos Visits Oba Of Benin (26981 Views)

Eheneden Erediauwa To Be Crowned Oba Of Benin / "Ooni Of Ife Is Oba Of Benin's Son,Not In The Same Class"-Bini Palace To Alake / 8 Things Visitors Are Forbidden To Do At Oba Of Benin Palace (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Oba Of Lagos Visits Oba Of Benin by JIGHU(m): 12:28pm On Jul 04, 2013
aka tonero: Wetin Oba of Benin dey chop self? Him no dey old.Benin i hail ooooooooh!!!
that is not the oba .....he is the crown prince (Edaiken of Uselu)....Prince Eheneden
Re: Oba Of Lagos Visits Oba Of Benin by naptu2: 12:43pm On Jul 04, 2013
naptu2:

The controversy is not about the origin of the Oba. There are many variations on the story, but let me quickly give two accounts, just to make things clearer.

1) (Lagos version) Olofin, an Awori from Isheri, who is also believed to be a son of Oduduwa founded Lagos. He and his sons founded a fisherman cooperative society called Aladejo, or Idejo for short. He made Ashipa, a yoruba man with a Benin wife, mediator between his quarrelling children. When Ashipa died, Olofin invited Addo, the son of Ashipa, to return from Benin to take up the role (after the quarrel between Olofin and the Oba of Benin had been resolved). The Idejo gave him land, a disused pepper farm, on which he built his house (Iga Idungaran - Palace on a pepper farm). When the Europeans arrived, they mistook the wealthy mediator (Oba of Lagos) for the king.

2) (Benin version): Oba Orhogbua of Benin had established a war camp (Eko) as a base for raids against Dahomey. He placed a viceroy, Aisikahienbore, over Lagos. When the viceroyy died, Edo, his son, succeeded him. The Oba had imprisoned Olofin (who originally lived on the land) in Benin. The Oba later released Olofin after Olofin promised to obey the viceroy. The yoruba corrupted both names to Ashipa and Ado.

These are just two versions of the story. There are more. However, all the stories agree on some basic facts. (1) The Oba of Lagos came from Benin. (2) The Idejo are awori descendants of Oduduwa. (3) The Oba of Lagos owns no land, except for the palace (Iga Idungaran). The Idejo own the land of Lagos (Onikoyi owns Ikoyi, Ojora owns Ijora, Oniru own Iru [Victoria Island+Maroko], etc).

Usually, when there's a war in Lagos, the war chiefs, who came from Benin with the Oba would stay and fight, while the Idejo would retire to their lands. The dual nature of the origin of Lagos has caused a lot of controversy in the past. Some chiefs have declared that the Oba has only limited authority over them, either because (1) they were also kings in Benin (eg Obanikoro), or (2) because they see the Oba as being merely a mediator.

2 Likes

Re: Oba Of Lagos Visits Oba Of Benin by ifihearam: 12:53pm On Jul 04, 2013
saintvalx: @Musiwa28, you're derailing this thread. Oba of Lagos visits Oba of Benin, which one is Kano Pillers vs Julius Berger?

@post, my question is Oba of Benin never leaves his palace, why?

whY was he in CALABAR??
Re: Oba Of Lagos Visits Oba Of Benin by niggadee(m): 12:54pm On Jul 04, 2013
boths of them are distant relatives i'm not surprise
Re: Oba Of Lagos Visits Oba Of Benin by Mariojane(f): 1:02pm On Jul 04, 2013
Akanniade:
Hmmm but his great grand father could not teleport when the British had him in chains and exiled him to calabar.
.u will answer ur question urself. if ur pastor shud call u dt on a particular day sometin will happen to u,do u think u can escape it even if u enter enter inside hole?was Jesus nt always escaping pharisees problems nd persecution bt when it was time to surrender himself he did just dt.re u now going to ask dt Jesus could nt save himself on d cross just as d thief in his left hand ask him?always think abt ur questions b4 u ask so dat ur mouth will nt put u in trouble. dont u knw d oba dt was taken to calabar futures has been foretold that his rein will be short bt his name will live forever. just as people remember him today. u can only delay ur future bt u cant change it

1 Like

Re: Oba Of Lagos Visits Oba Of Benin by Evansedos: 1:25pm On Jul 04, 2013
saintvalx: @Musiwa28, you're derailing this thread. Oba of Lagos visits Oba of Benin, which one is Kano Pillers vs Julius Berger?

oba no dey go transfer....
Re: Oba Of Lagos Visits Oba Of Benin by bokohalal(m): 1:30pm On Jul 04, 2013
Mariojane: .u will answer ur question urself. if ur pastor shud call u dt on a particular day sometin will happen to u,do u think u can escape it even if u enter enter inside hole?was Jesus nt always escaping pharisees problems nd persecution bt when it was time to surrender himself he did just dt.re u now going to ask dt Jesus could nt save himself on d cross just as d thief in his left hand ask him?always think abt ur questions b4 u ask so dat ur mouth will nt put u in trouble. dont u knw d oba dt was taken to calabar futures has been foretold that his rein will be short bt his name will live forever. just as people remember him today. u can only delay ur future bt u cant change it
They know not the meaning of Ovonranmwen n 'o gba isi.
The name was not given after the British conquesr of Benin Kingdom!
Re: Oba Of Lagos Visits Oba Of Benin by Georgeorge20: 1:39pm On Jul 04, 2013
EKo was formed n named from Benin
Re: Oba Of Lagos Visits Oba Of Benin by Georgeorge20: 1:50pm On Jul 04, 2013
Some people are telling me that Benin is Igbo side
Re: Oba Of Lagos Visits Oba Of Benin by plaindealer: 1:54pm On Jul 04, 2013
dabrake: why did he snub retardinho?

The snub goes beyond the Oba not showing up while GEJ sat foolishly and unattended to, GEJ was take to a non ceremonial part of the palace meaning the Oba didn't take him seriously or not worthy enough to be received at the main grand palace...
Re: Oba Of Lagos Visits Oba Of Benin by Nobody: 2:34pm On Jul 04, 2013
gunpoint: One is an OBA, the other is a puppet! The oba of lagos has become a puppet.
FYI I am yoruba so shutzafvckup!
who asked u if u are yoruba or not,omo ibo aje okuta ma mu omi
Re: Oba Of Lagos Visits Oba Of Benin by ifihearam: 2:46pm On Jul 04, 2013
plaindealer:

The snub goes beyond the Oba not showing up while GEJ sat foolishly and unattended to, GEJ was take to a non ceremonial part of the palace meaning the Oba didn't take him seriously or not worthy enough to be received at the main grand palace...

I dont want to dwell with with past issues,the oba was critically ill and he explained to the president,whether or not it was intentional has nothing to do with the president.he exercised his presidential patience which is second to none in the history of all presidents in Nigeria.The oba has also ruined his opportunity of seeing the president again until 2019.
Re: Oba Of Lagos Visits Oba Of Benin by ifihearam: 2:49pm On Jul 04, 2013
I thought the Oba of lagos was a first class king oooo,why should he leave his throne to visit another king??

i cant imagine the sultan of sokoto making such unpleasant visits or the highly revered Olu of warri.
Re: Oba Of Lagos Visits Oba Of Benin by plaindealer: 3:52pm On Jul 04, 2013
I'll ignore you just because of the thread below...

https://www.nairaland.com/979562/gej-angry-over-obas-action

There's just no point discussing anything with yiur type and mentality..
Re: Oba Of Lagos Visits Oba Of Benin by DuduNegro: 4:18pm On Jul 04, 2013
ifihearam: I thought the Oba of lagos was a first class king oooo,why should he leave his throne to visit another king??

i cant imagine the sultan of sokoto making such unpleasant visits or the highly revered Olu of warri.

Yes, Oba of Lagos is a Sovereign King and there is nothing in the palace protocol that forbids his visit to anywhere in his domain if he chooses to do so. He is likewise not forbidden to honor invitations from outside the domain.

The Yoruba culture reveres the throne and views a King as a divine. Therefore his public appearance must be veiled and guarded, shrouded in mystery.

You don't know the history of Sokoto Caliphate, if you did you would not have said that Sultan does not visit outside his domain. You don't hear about it but he does visit his Emirates.

You Binis wrap too much mystery and fables around Omo N'Oba than he deserves. You are destroying the true value of the throne. It is disrespectful to the Oba's stool of authority to portray him demeaning or belittling an important guest to his domain. This issue of Gej bein received with disrespect and dismiss by the Oba should be corrected. Kings are magnanimous and embracing, it is not good to portray His Highness as a cold and calculating leader. I hope you will stop circulating this picture of Gej.....it speaks ill of the palace, please stop it.
Re: Oba Of Lagos Visits Oba Of Benin by muyen666: 5:09pm On Jul 04, 2013
as a yoruba man..it is always annoying when u hear versions of our origin..even the so called oduduwa have different stories and d only one with some sense in it is d one dat says he was a benin prince
Re: Oba Of Lagos Visits Oba Of Benin by TS2(m): 5:13pm On Jul 04, 2013
Saint Chukz: Did you know? - These two OBA's are in-laws. Yes, they are related by marriage because an Edo princess i.e a daughter to The OBA of Benin is married to one of the Son's of The OBA of Lagos. I doubt many of you knew that.

Okay...now that you have informed us why not stroll to the Bank and use it to collect money?
Re: Oba Of Lagos Visits Oba Of Benin by NovusHomo(m): 6:05pm On Jul 04, 2013
Please, what are the names of these two actors? And which "Nollywood" movie is that?
Re: Oba Of Lagos Visits Oba Of Benin by Mogidi: 6:56pm On Jul 04, 2013

He's probably afraid of the Igbinedions.
Re: Oba Of Lagos Visits Oba Of Benin by PhysicsQED(m): 8:00pm On Jul 04, 2013
Dudu_Negro:
You Binis wrap too much mystery and fables around Omo N'Oba than he deserves. You are destroying the true value of the throne. It is disrespectful to the Oba's stool of authority to portray him demeaning or belittling an important guest to his domain. This issue of Gej bein received with disrespect and dismiss by the Oba should be corrected. Kings are magnanimous and embracing, it is not good to portray His Highness as a cold and calculating leader. I hope you will stop circulating this picture of Gej.....it speaks ill of the palace, please stop it.

Ifihearam is not Bini, but is someone who claims to be Itsekiri and makes it a point to insult Binis and the Benin monarchy whenever he or she gets the chance. You only need to look at his/her past posts to see this. She or he has never claimed to be Bini but has repeatedly claimed to be Itsekiri.

The people re-posting the picture of the so-called "snub" of GEJ (it wasn't a snub) by the Oba of Benin on this forum and who keep claiming GEJ was snubbed were overwhelmingly all ACN (and now APC) supporters, several of these posters being Yorubas, not Binis.

Binis can wrap as much "fable and mystery" around their king as Binis want to. Since other peoples do that as well, I don't see why the Edo can't do the same.

Also, I haven't seen any actual Binis in this thread claiming the Oba of Benin has never left his throne to visit others or that he never leaves the palace. The Oba has visited multiple other monarchs (and a governor) before.

1 Like

Re: Oba Of Lagos Visits Oba Of Benin by Nobody: 8:08pm On Jul 04, 2013
mbhs139:

You are wrong bro. The same person is in the same all pics. The Oba of Benin don't seat nor see eye-ball to eye-ball with another Oba. It's a taboo.

The Oba of Benin visited the Ooni in ile ife, year1982.
Re: Oba Of Lagos Visits Oba Of Benin by bright007(f): 8:45pm On Jul 04, 2013
muyen666:
as a yoruba man..it is always annoying when u hear versions of our origin..even the so called oduduwa have different stories and d only one with some sense in it is d one dat says he was a benin prince
...you mean u havnt heard that oduduwa fell from the sky?...some version even has it that he climbed down with a chain...but i just some questions to ask....if that version is correct,who made the chain? and most importantly,where is the chain now?
Re: Oba Of Lagos Visits Oba Of Benin by Nobody: 9:03pm On Jul 04, 2013
bright007: ...you mean u havnt heard that oduduwa fell from the sky?...some version even has it that he climbed down with a chain...but i just some questions to ask....if that version is correct,who made the chain? and most importantly,where is the chain now?
Consult the divinity of wisdom and knowledge. The answer you desire can be found from there.

1 Like

Re: Oba Of Lagos Visits Oba Of Benin by DuduNegro: 10:25pm On Jul 04, 2013
PhysicsQED:

Ifihearam is not Bini, but is someone who claims to be Itsekiri and makes it a point to insult Binis and the Benin monarchy whenever he or she gets the chance. You only need to look at his/her past posts to see this. She or he has never claimed to be Bini but has repeatedly claimed to be Itsekiri.

The people re-posting the picture of the so-called "snub" of GEJ (it wasn't a snub) by the Oba of Benin on this forum and who keep claiming GEJ was snubbed were overwhelmingly all ACN (and now APC) supporters, several of these posters being Yorubas, not Binis.

I think that's a biased statement in highlight. All people have played on this picture to ridicule GEJ. Binis have, Yorubas have and Igbos have. The bottom line is, it needs to stop because it positions the palace in bad light and it doesnt matter if the visit happened in Ife or Sokoto or Onitsha....this is not what Kings do to VIPs on visits to them.

Binis can wrap as much "fable and mystery" around their king as Binis want to. Since other peoples do that as well, I don't see why the Edo can't do the same.

Of course you can....but Omo N'Oba is portrayed as someone who can order a shut down of the Nigerian democracy if he so wishes. He cannot even shut down the Edo state government. We are in new realities of rulership now and though we must continue to revere the stool of authority and uphold its eminence, but we must not create falsehoods around the throne. Objectivity is more important than invicibility....the Oba is not invicible as Binis portray him.

Also, I haven't seen any actual Binis in this thread claiming the Oba of Benin has never left his throne to visit others or that he never leaves the palace. The Oba has visited multiple other monarchs (and a governor) before.

I dont agree with people that say he doesnt travel out but others must travel to him. These are little egos who have no true understanding of the stool. Yes Obas have enormous powers but thry are not ego trips like small status politicians who attach egos to titles and office.
Re: Oba Of Lagos Visits Oba Of Benin by babanaba: 10:34pm On Jul 04, 2013
Dudu_Negro:

Yes, Oba of Lagos is a Sovereign King and there is nothing in the palace protocol that forbids his visit to anywhere in his domain if he chooses to do so. He is likewise not forbidden to honor invitations from outside the domain.

The Yoruba culture reveres the throne and views a King as a divine. Therefore his public appearance must be veiled and guarded, shrouded in mystery.

You don't know the history of Sokoto Caliphate, if you did you would not have said that Sultan does not visit outside his domain. You don't hear about it but he does visit his Emirates.

Could you copy and paste one of such comments?What makesyou think that Binins are those writing such comments?Do you know that I have seen all kinds of people who claim to be Binins or are from Benin City only to discover that they were only born in the City(Benin)?
Re: Oba Of Lagos Visits Oba Of Benin by DuduNegro: 11:17pm On Jul 04, 2013
babanaba:

Could you copy and paste one of such comments?What makesyou think that Binins are those writing such comments?Do you know that I have seen all kinds of people who claim to be Binins or are from Benin City only to discover that they were only born in the City(Benin)?

My guy, same goes for any ethnicity.
Re: Oba Of Lagos Visits Oba Of Benin by lineal: 11:31pm On Jul 04, 2013
tpia@:
there are places in nigeria that you dont just go to anyhow unless you get special armour.

yorubas are many there but they must be the strong type. Either that or something else.

This chic is hilarious. grin grin grin cheesy
Re: Oba Of Lagos Visits Oba Of Benin by lineal: 11:33pm On Jul 04, 2013
braine: Two great Obas. Traditional history in the making. I know I'll be a king one day.

Where is your iga in your town? Or you're from Ibadan.
Re: Oba Of Lagos Visits Oba Of Benin by lineal: 11:36pm On Jul 04, 2013
Afro connect: Traditions and ties...very nice.The convergence of Royal fathers that have lots of respect from the people, is a sure way of fostering better relationships between peoples and finding solutions to societal and National challenges.
May we always uphold our valuable cultures of love,brotherhood and solidarity.

Aase!
Re: Oba Of Lagos Visits Oba Of Benin by PhysicsQED(m): 11:39pm On Jul 04, 2013
Dudu_Negro:

I think that's a biased statement in highlight. All people have played on this picture to ridicule GEJ. Binis have, Yorubas have and Igbos have. The bottom line is, it needs to stop because it positions the palace in bad light and it doesnt matter if the visit happened in Ife or Sokoto or Onitsha....this is not what Kings do to VIPs on visits to them.

I don't really feel it would be worth the time to go back to those threads on this forum or elsewhere to list the comments of different people and show what group the majority of those posters delighting in a supposed "snub" or "humiliation" of GEJ are from. I know what I saw and I know it doesn't make sense to suggest that Binis are the ones emphasizing that picture or twisting it to make it look like it was a snub. The whole thing is about politics, and ACN (and now APC) supporters were/are the ones that would be most inclined to find some excuse to mock GEJ, even when the mockery isn't warranted.

Of course you can....but Omo N'Oba is portrayed as someone who can order a shut down of the Nigerian democracy if he so wishes. He cannot even shut down the Edo state government. We are in new realities of rulership now and though we must continue to revere the stool of authority and uphold its eminence, but we must not create falsehoods around the throne. Objectivity is more important than invicibility....the Oba is not invicible as Binis portray him.

If you have a problem with how some Binis view the Oba of Benin, then that's your own problem, and you're welcome to file a complaint to whoever will hear it. But my issue was with you making it seem as if ifihearam and everyone else making claims about the Oba of Benin and the nature of his interactions with other people is Bini, when this isn't the case.

1 Like

Re: Oba Of Lagos Visits Oba Of Benin by lineal: 11:39pm On Jul 04, 2013
Saint Chukz: Did you know? - These two OBA's are in-laws. Yes, they are related by marriage because an Edo princess i.e a daughter to The OBA of Benin is married to one of the Son's of The OBA of Lagos. I doubt many of you knew that.

That's interesting. Usually it's the other way around - Bini guys like to marry Yoruba girls. It's all good. La Familia. smiley
Re: Oba Of Lagos Visits Oba Of Benin by Nobody: 11:43pm On Jul 04, 2013
MacLovington: .

Ol' boy where did you hear that?

When the Oba of Benin paid a nationwide thank-you visit to all the Obis, Obas, Emirs etc who came to his coronation, you mean he sent a body double? I had some relatives in his convoy.

Maybe you were not even born then.
are you trying to tell me you are in your 40's? You want to be bini more than bini people?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

7 Important Facts To Know About Eze Nri Of The Igbos. / Are There Any Experts On Traditional Igbo Religion? / Ikenwoli Godfrey-Emiko Is New Olu Of Warri

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.