Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,802 members, 7,810,092 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 08:33 PM

Why Does Jollof Rice Get Burnt When Stirred? - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / Why Does Jollof Rice Get Burnt When Stirred? (6318 Views)

How Jollof Rice Was Served In A Party (pics) / Picture Of Jollof Rice Been Cooked By A Nairalander / Best Way To Prepare A Jollof Rice: How? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Does Jollof Rice Get Burnt When Stirred? by swtchicgurl: 10:45am On Jul 04, 2013
Please, I need an answer to this. Either by your experience or by science, why should jollof rice get burnt the more when stirred?

Thanks!
Re: Why Does Jollof Rice Get Burnt When Stirred? by Nobody: 10:52am On Jul 04, 2013
This is a metallurgical process. The material component of the pot plays a vital role. Materials of very high conductivity will get the rice burnt quicker. But there are other factors. Contact me for details cos this is a research related info which cant be free, even in Freetown.
Re: Why Does Jollof Rice Get Burnt When Stirred? by Acidosis(m): 11:09am On Jul 04, 2013
Reasons

- high heat

- Low metal based pots

- stick pot

- continous stirring using a metallic spoon (especially when it comes in contact with the base of the pot).

btw, the "glory" of a party jollof rice lies on d burnt part ... a little burn oo
Re: Why Does Jollof Rice Get Burnt When Stirred? by deeobserver209(m): 12:18pm On Jul 04, 2013
The answer is simple. Heat. During cooking must of the oil is ejected upward by vapour gas through heat to allow for the proper cooking of the grain. When you stir rice during cooking, you introduce the oil which was ejected back to the bottom of the pot. This causes intense heat build up around the base of the pot leading to the burning of the rice. You know what happened when heat and oil is mixed together. That is why it's advisable after mixing all your ingredients you must not stir the rice until when it's done.

2 Likes

Re: Why Does Jollof Rice Get Burnt When Stirred? by swtchicgurl: 2:16pm On Jul 04, 2013
deeobserver209: The answer is simple. Heat. During cooking must of the oil is ejected upward by vapour gas through heat to allow for the proper cooking of the grain. When you stir rice during cooking, you introduce the oil which was ejected back to the bottom of the pot. This causes intense heat build up around the base of the pot leading to the burning of the rice. You know what happened when heat and oil is mixed together. That is why it's advisable after mixing all your ingredients you must not stir the rice until when it's done.

Very nice tnx! U must be a Good cook...lol
Re: Why Does Jollof Rice Get Burnt When Stirred? by swtchicgurl: 2:18pm On Jul 04, 2013
Acidosis: Reasons

- high heat

- Low metal based pots

- stick pot

- continous stirring using a metallic spoon (especially when it comes in contact with the base of the pot).

btw, the "glory" of a party jollof rice lies on d burnt part ... a little burn oo

Lol at the burnt part, I agree tho'. Dats why one shouldn't fight for the top-of-cooler rice because it was previously at the bottom of the pot. Lol
Re: Why Does Jollof Rice Get Burnt When Stirred? by MMotimo: 4:56am On Jul 06, 2013
Use a good quality non stick pot. Mine does not burn, ever!and I stir regularly. This is the bottom of a fully cooked pot of jollof

Re: Why Does Jollof Rice Get Burnt When Stirred? by pendusky(m): 5:54am On Jul 06, 2013
swtchicgurl: Please, I need an answer to this. Either by your experience or by science, why should jollof rice get burnt the more when stirred?

Thanks!
post the pix of the one you cook first, we start from ther
Re: Why Does Jollof Rice Get Burnt When Stirred? by pweetymama(f): 9:11am On Aug 08, 2013
deeobserver209: The answer is simple. Heat. During cooking must of the oil is ejected upward by vapour gas through heat to allow for the proper cooking of the grain. When you stir rice during cooking, you introduce the oil which was ejected back to the bottom of the pot. This causes intense heat build up around the base of the pot leading to the burning of the rice. You know what happened when heat and oil is mixed together. That is why it's advisable after mixing all your ingredients you must not stir the rice until when it's done.
dat means ur ingredients will be at d bottom of ur pot.@Op,u can stir but use a wooden or rubber spoon and ur food won't burn.Hmmn!I tink I want jollof rice now! tongue
Re: Why Does Jollof Rice Get Burnt When Stirred? by swtchicgurl: 12:15am On Aug 09, 2013
what is at the top of the cooler was at the bottom of the pot....so, always wait for your turn when queueing for party rice. tongue grin
Re: Why Does Jollof Rice Get Burnt When Stirred? by Nobody: 1:05pm On Aug 19, 2013
I like it burnt for some reason
Re: Why Does Jollof Rice Get Burnt When Stirred? by uzoo: 2:15pm On Aug 23, 2013
A lot of people like the taste of burnt rice ...(not me though).

Tips for avoiding burnt rice.

1. cook in a non-stick pot /Pan (its usually coated to prevent cooked meals from burning ) that's the way to go .

2. cook in low moderate heat or flame ,dont know why people prefer to cook with blazing flames when all it does is burn the food ,takes away the flavour and more over it wastes gas. what gets the food cooked is the low flame (moderate cooking temperature) not the red and blue blazing flame.

3.when stirring the rice do it on the lowest flame and maintain this temperature until you turn it off.
Re: Why Does Jollof Rice Get Burnt When Stirred? by UjSizzle(f): 3:18pm On Aug 28, 2013
Nothing tastes as good as burnt rice grin

(1) (Reply)

What Brand Of Dark Chocolate Do I Get? / Pls Someone Should Teach Me How To Make Buns, The Commercial Type. / Bakers Apologise For Increasing Price Of Bread

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.