Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,739 members, 7,824,103 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 11:06 PM

Nigeria Seeks $3Billion Loan From China - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria Seeks $3Billion Loan From China (9799 Views)

Nigeria For Sale! For $3billion!! / Nigeria Seeks Secret Trial For Nnamdi Kanu. / Nigeria Seeks $1.5Billion From China For Rice, Cassava (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria Seeks $3Billion Loan From China by infonubia(m): 1:44am On Jul 05, 2013
Nigerian President Goodluck Jonathan will travel to China next week to sign off on $3 billion in Chinese loans to build infrastructure in Africa's most populous country, the finance minister said on Wednesday.

The agreed loans will come from the Chinese government and will be based on interest rates of less than 3 percent over a 15-20 year period, Minister of Finance Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala said.

The deal underscores increasing Chinese interest in Africa and its resources - Nigeria is the continent's top oil producer - in competition with Western powers.

Okonjo-Iweala estimates Nigeria needs $10 billion a year of investment to improve infrastructure like roads and electricity to keep up with a rapidly growing population, already some 170 million, and to sustain economic growth at around 6-7 percent.

"We know that China fueled its growth by really keeping one step ahead in terms of infrastructure ... we need roads, we need power, we need help on aviation, agriculture," Okonjo-Iweala told Reuters at the presidential villa in the capital.

China has made a string of cheap loans in the past few years to countries in Africa, a continent which supplies oil and raw materials like copper and uranium to the world's most populous country and second-largest economy.

The loans to Nigeria include $500 million to build airport terminals in Lagos, Abuja, Port Harcourt and Kano; and over $700 million to build a hydroelectric power plant in Niger State.

It also includes $600 million to build a light railway in the capital Abuja, most of which has already been invested on a project due to be completed early next year.

Lending at below market rates to fund infrastructure projects using Chinese firms has enabled Beijing to cement relationships in Africa while subsidizing its construction industry.

Nigeria's central bank governor Lamido Sanusi warned African governments in March that China's pursuit of raw materials and markets for its manufactured goods on the continent carried "a whiff of colonialism" similar to that introduced by Europeans in centuries past.

"I'm not of the school that says 'look this is colonialism' ... We should be open to whoever wants to invest and help us finance our needs," Okonjo-Iweala said.

The loans are part of a $7.9 billion external borrowing plan approved by Nigeria's national assembly last year as government seeks to up cheaper external borrowing and limit domestic debt.

Okonjo-Iweala said the delegation traveling to China on July 7 would also be discussing China's interest in oil from Nigeria, an OPEC member and Africa's top producer.

"They want more oil and gas ... we have something they want now and they have something we want, so you have grounds for negotiations," Okonjo-Iweala said.

With the discovery of shale oil and gas in the United States, Nigeria is losing its biggest customer and looking for new buyers. India has been increasing its imports from Nigeria.

http://www.voanews.com/content/nigeria-chinese-loans/1694725.html

http://www.infonubia.com/2013/07/nigeria-set-to-borrow-3-billion-from.html
Re: Nigeria Seeks $3Billion Loan From China by Nobody: 1:52am On Jul 05, 2013
nawa ooooo,everytime Nigeria set to do this,Nigeria set to do that,thats all we hear.

the three billion dollars would end up in someone"s pocket,then the circle will go again..

by the way,what position am I?

6 Likes

Re: Nigeria Seeks $3Billion Loan From China by infonubia(m): 2:07am On Jul 05, 2013
Yomieluv: nawa ooooo,everytime Nigeria set to do this,Nigeria set to do that,thats all we hear.

the three billion dollars would end up in someone"s pocket,then the circle will go again..

by the way,what position am I?

Bruv, I feel you on this one. China is taking over Africa! if they want oil and gas, why can't we trade them rather than borrow money and give them oil. The borrower will always remain a slave to the lender.

9 Likes

Re: Nigeria Seeks $3Billion Loan From China by Nobody: 2:43am On Jul 05, 2013
This Nigeria China relationship is becoming disturbing....all this borrowing and borrowing...Nigeria will own China so

much money that it wont be able to pay it back.....The U.K got what it needed from Nigeria and dumped her....then the U.S

got what it needed and dumped her....now the Chinese are getting theirs.....after that...The Russians will also come and

get theirs....then Nigeria will be a useless irrelevant country....China is not the U.S or U.K that will forgive you if the

loans are not paid back ooooo

7 Likes

Re: Nigeria Seeks $3Billion Loan From China by infonubia(m): 2:48am On Jul 05, 2013
I sure hope our leaders know what they are doing.
Re: Nigeria Seeks $3Billion Loan From China by Horus(m): 2:55am On Jul 05, 2013

33 Likes

Re: Nigeria Seeks $3Billion Loan From China by infonubia(m): 2:58am On Jul 05, 2013
Horus: [img]http://1.bp..com/-lqFwYL5N_lk/UQ37OxG1kQI/AAAAAAABamY/UWy3aMWitXw/s1600/China-Africa6.jpg[/img]

Horus, you are a genius! The picture pretty much sums it up. Thanks for sharing.

8 Likes

Re: Nigeria Seeks $3Billion Loan From China by plaindealer: 3:00am On Jul 05, 2013
There is no monetary room for any form of capital projects in our budgets because nearly ever kobo in our budget is for recurrent expenditures meaning they use nearly every kobo to run the federal government like GEJ's 1 billion naira food bill, like the huge pay and allowances your reps and senators collects, like the billions the FG spends on estacodes every year and so on and on.. They don't even have enough money to adequately fund the government...

....so they have no choice but to borrow borrow and stick us back in debt. The only reason they are even borrowing to fund projects is because they want something to show Nigerians come 2015, but unfortunately for Nigerians, they are knee deep in debt for whatever they have to show..

8 Likes

Re: Nigeria Seeks $3Billion Loan From China by Nobody: 3:43am On Jul 05, 2013
Nigerian youths , Nigerian Youths , Nigerian Youths

How many times did I call you?

Are you going to continue to sit idly whilst your inheritance is squandered?

Soon all that you would inherit would be a huge debt that would burden you and future generations.

9 Likes

Re: Nigeria Seeks $3Billion Loan From China by infonubia(m): 4:01am On Jul 05, 2013
GenBuhari: Nigerian youths , Nigerian Youths , Nigerian Youths

Soon all that you would inherit would a huge debt that would burden you and future generations.

At this rate, future generations to come will be indebted to the Chinese. And don't even think about the prospect of loan forgiveness
Re: Nigeria Seeks $3Billion Loan From China by LOUDmedia(m): 6:46am On Jul 05, 2013
infonubia: I sure hope our leaders know what they are doing.

Hummmm....
The picture above aptly captures the Nigerian economy.
Re: Nigeria Seeks $3Billion Loan From China by dridowu: 10:42am On Jul 05, 2013
A lot of billion dollars about to squander
Re: Nigeria Seeks $3Billion Loan From China by Emade(m): 10:43am On Jul 05, 2013
other president are traveling for investment why our own is traveling to borrow na wa ooooooooo.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Seeks $3Billion Loan From China by Nobody: 10:52am On Jul 05, 2013

Soon all that you would inherit would be a huge debt that would burden you and future generations.
we are still sleeping, we would be half wake soon, and finally wake in the future, please leave us alone is our future. "The Mind set of average Nigerian"
Re: Nigeria Seeks $3Billion Loan From China by waja(m): 10:54am On Jul 05, 2013
We made China what they are today. Our trillions are going there on daily basis in the name of buying fake electronics.
Re: Nigeria Seeks $3Billion Loan From China by Donmams(m): 10:57am On Jul 05, 2013
We have been making $100 billion annually from crude oil since 2000. But the PDP gov't still finds it imperative to borrow for infrastructural development. It still puzzles me to think some fools want the current mismanagement to continue.

7 Likes

Re: Nigeria Seeks $3Billion Loan From China by Demolaxzy(m): 11:02am On Jul 05, 2013
I sure hope its g'na turn out well as planned.
Re: Nigeria Seeks $3Billion Loan From China by chymystique(f): 11:02am On Jul 05, 2013
Hmmmmmm! My own b say as dey r Borrowin dey shld yield to ASUU demands cos I me wan grad dis month oo angry angry
Re: Nigeria Seeks $3Billion Loan From China by Lobolintin(m): 11:05am On Jul 05, 2013
pfuck who put am for front page, old newt
Re: Nigeria Seeks $3Billion Loan From China by IB5(f): 11:05am On Jul 05, 2013
And somebody said GEJ is working. What is difficult in borrowing and using little of the money to construct roads and terminals and squander the remaining? Yet some sing praises to his name undecided
A working government is one that is able to carry out projects without borrowing, and if at all there are needs to borrow, they should be for investment that will yield double result, I mean projects that will be productive.

Same goes to Lagos government and cross-rivers state government, these two states are of high debt profile.
The only gov. I know of is present oyo state government, working extensively without borrowing a dine and also being able to drastically increase the state income.

I pity the future generation of this country.

5 Likes

Re: Nigeria Seeks $3Billion Loan From China by Bliss4Lyfe(f): 11:06am On Jul 05, 2013
So this trip to China is for Only 3 Billion Dollars. Very disappointed. That money could be generated within Nigeria via the private sector alone.

What kind of projects can 3 billion finance anyway. Nigeria is suppose to be on multi-billion dollar projects ($186 billion).

3 billion and china, nonsense.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Seeks $3Billion Loan From China by emmanuel4758(m): 11:09am On Jul 05, 2013

comment is silly wat ar u talkin about do u want revolution afta dat wat would u gain. dats wy buhari ur bros can never win even local chairman election talkless of winin presidential election
Re: Nigeria Seeks $3Billion Loan From China by DisGuy: 11:09am On Jul 05, 2013
CAN someone just please list the number of projects that have been completed with all these chinese loans, they never finish their project it seems, they like recurring loans- esp in the rail sector- mos tannoying part is it's their companies and staff that will be implenting the projects

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Seeks $3Billion Loan From China by PStacks(m): 11:10am On Jul 05, 2013
Is there no other thing they can lie against.. Everytime.. Road, Infrastructure, Electricity, aviation.. These same old same old things..

Our leaders must think we are daft or something.

Tell me something.. So free $3billion dollars is up for grabs and u say politicians shouldn't kill themselves to occupy political offices..

Na Today yansh don dey for back? Abi no be this same naija wey we dey..

Nothing good can and will ever come out of Nigeria.. I'm a nigeria and a real patriotic one at that. But until we change this Naijiocracy for real Democracy, we are not going nowhere..

Road and Electricity for how long? I wish this Road and Electricity has mouth to talk..

A Debtor is Slave to the creditor.. We are gon be slaves to China. We are signing a bond to be china's slave..

China would willingly borrow us and Niger-Delta would pay for it with delapitation of farmlands and pollution of the aerable agricultural lands..
China knows we have crude.. They will be more than happy to doll out cash to our more than currupt leaders..

Road and Electricity in this 21st century, when China herself is launching Rockets to space everyday with male and female astronauts alike in space, Nigeria is still borrowing from china..

Nigeria is under some sort of spell or something..
Congratulations to the govenment of the day, the have free $3Billion dollars to share afterall they won't be in government when payback time reach and d funds would'a been in some swiss accounts..

I'm a modafuckingly proud Nigerian mehn! A country where anything goes..

I wish I could just get 1% of the $3billion dollars..

Nigeria has gotten to a level that we are not even afraid of Billion dollarz again. We would soon start talking in Trillion dollarz yet noting on ground to show for it..

Se na like dis we go dey dey?

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Seeks $3Billion Loan From China by MrScript(m): 11:12am On Jul 05, 2013
Dt moni don enter voice mail b4 e reach Nija.. Nxt thread pls
Re: Nigeria Seeks $3Billion Loan From China by PBundles(m): 11:13am On Jul 05, 2013
A little food for thought. Nigeria pumps approx 2 million barrels of oil a day @$100 thats $200Million a day [/b]in a month we are talking about US$3.6 billion. Im not talking about Natural Gas reserves totaling [b]187 Trillion ( yes you read that right). Many dont know our Natural Gas Reserves are 3 times that of our oil, or that we waste US18 million a day (US$ 540 million a month) because we flare it of.

Yet we are borrowing US 3 billion, which leads me to question, WHY?.......Unless we are broke. They keep saying we arent, but when you see the above, its obvious we are. Nigeria is a blessing and a curse. We have been blessed with so much, which has led to so much corruption and stealing that it has become a curse.

Interesingly I watched a program the other day in which the economists said, had Nigeria used its money wisely as of the 90s ( not even the 80's) Nigeris would have been ATLEAST at the level of South Korea in terms of advancement. My heart weeps and if I tell you im not bitter, Im f'ing lieing.

13 Likes

Re: Nigeria Seeks $3Billion Loan From China by WizPrince1(m): 11:15am On Jul 05, 2013
Upon all the oil wells... They should be ready to fight kung fu if they don't pay on time
Re: Nigeria Seeks $3Billion Loan From China by PStacks(m): 11:16am On Jul 05, 2013
emmanuel4758: comment is silly wat ar u talkin about do u want revolution afta dat wat would u gain. dats wy buhari ur bros can never win even local chairman election talkless of winin presidential election

U must be silly for attacking he's comment as silly.. Someone is talking sense and fact and u don't come up with something sensible other than to attack his comment.. Don't you know its true we d younger generation would inherit debts and b slaves to china. U are too silly to see that I guess. As long as we hav nigerians like u, we're never going to move forward as a nation.. Attack the content of the message and not the messenger u silly ass.

3 Likes

Re: Nigeria Seeks $3Billion Loan From China by lacasa: 11:20am On Jul 05, 2013
"You get the leaders you deserve" undecided

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Seeks $3Billion Loan From China by Nobody: 11:21am On Jul 05, 2013
Borrowing in an oil boom? I have never heard uae, Qatar and co borrow money despite the massive infrastructural development in their countries. Malaysia is building homes for unborn generation while gej and his crew keep looting without visible development. If I am not mistaken Nigeria is one of largest producers of crude oil.

This crazy government is floating a national carrier with 10 billion and they can build a single refinery. We keep exporting crude rather than products.

Keep blowing your future away in fresh air

11 Likes

Re: Nigeria Seeks $3Billion Loan From China by Nobody: 11:24am On Jul 05, 2013
Mr knowitall.:
This Nigeria China relationship is becoming disturbing....all this borrowing and borrowing...Nigeria will own China so

much money that it wont be able to pay it back.....The U.K got what it needed from Nigeria and dumped her....then the U.S

got what it needed and dumped her....now the Chinese are getting theirs.....after that...The Russians will also come and

get theirs....then Nigeria will be a useless irrelevant country....China is not the U.S or U.K that will forgive you if the

loans are not paid back ooooo

The Chinese are a ruthless lot.

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Those From West Are Still Ignorant On River Niger / Relief Items Donated To IDPs In Maiduguri(photos) / Nigeria’s Daily Petrol Consumption Reduces By 33.58% - NMDPRA

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.