Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,676 members, 7,837,502 topics. Date: Thursday, 23 May 2024 at 05:35 AM

Nigeria Seeks $3Billion Loan From China - Politics (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria Seeks $3Billion Loan From China (9807 Views)

Nigeria For Sale! For $3billion!! / Nigeria Seeks Secret Trial For Nnamdi Kanu. / Nigeria Seeks $1.5Billion From China For Rice, Cassava (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigeria Seeks $3Billion Loan From China by PBundles(m): 1:27pm On Jul 05, 2013
@Capnd143]almost all first commentators are brainless ignoramus! GEJ is not going there to burrow only you fools; he is going to for;
1.Defense assistance
2. Possibly, Procure the L-15's jet in the military budget
3.discuss investment opportunities with xi jinping and other chinese business men
4.help in technology and civil engineering training etc
pls always do some research b4 spewing rubbish

[/quote]

Im sorry but you are wrong. I work in the finacial sector and Nigeria has been on a road trip for the past months ( also working along side my bank, sorry cant reveal the name) to see if there was appetite for issuing of a bond. There was but Nigeria opted for this loan, which is part of a larger amount. They will pay a low interest, BUT thats beacuse unknown to many, China has done so so that they can get cheaper oil and minerals which they badly need.

If you dont believe me, then I hope you will believe Reuters and I quote Link:http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/07/03/nigeria-china-idUSL5N0F93N620130703

Nigeria to use funds for infrastructure projects

* Chinese firms benefit from contracts

* Nigeria to also negotiate on oil sales to China

By Joe Brock and Felix Onuah

ABUJA, July 3 (Reuters) - Nigerian President Goodluck Jonathan will travel to China next week to sign off on $3 billion in Chinese loans to build infrastructure in Africa's most populous country, the finance minister said on Wednesday.

The agreed loans will come from the Chinese government and will be based on interest rates of less than 3 percent over a 15-20 year period, Minister of Finance Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala said.

The deal underscores increasing Chinese interest in Africa and its resources - Nigeria is the continent's top oil producer - in competition with Western powers.

Okonjo-Iweala estimates Nigeria needs $10 billion a year of investment to improve infrastructure like roads and electricity to keep up with a rapidly growing population, already some 170 million, and to sustain economic growth at around 6-7 percent.

U.S. President Barack Obama launched a $7 billion initiative on Sunday to help Africa with electricity shortages but this is dwarfed by the $20 million in loans China has promised the continent. Obama did not visit Nigeria.

"We know that China fuelled its growth by really keeping one step ahead in terms of infrastructure ... we need roads, we need power, we need help on aviation, agriculture," Okonjo-Iweala told Reuters at the presidential villa in the capital.

China has made a string of cheap loans in the past few years to countries in Africa, a continent which supplies oil and raw materials like copper and uranium to the world's most populous country and second-largest economy.

The loans to Nigeria include $500 million to build airport terminals in Lagos, Abuja, Port Harcourt and Kano; and over $700 million to build a hydroelectric power plant in Niger State.

It also includes $600 million to build a light railway in the capital Abuja, most of which has already been invested on a project due to be completed early next year.

Lending at below market rates to fund infrastructure projects using Chinese firms has enabled Beijing to cement relationships in Africa while subsidising its construction industry.

Nigeria's central bank governor Lamido Sanusi warned African governments in March that China's pursuit of raw materials and markets for its manufactured goods on the continent carried "a whiff of colonialism" similar to that introduced by Europeans in centuries past.

"I'm not of the school that says 'look this is colonialism' ... We should be open to whoever wants to invest and help us finance our needs," Okonjo-Iweala said.

The loans are part of a $7.9 billion external borrowing plan approved by Nigeria's national assembly last year as government seeks to up cheaper external borrowing and limit domestic debt.

Okonjo-Iweala said the delegation travelling to China on July 7 would also be discussing China's interest in oil from Nigeria, an OPEC member and Africa's top producer.

"They want more oil and gas ... we have something they want now and they have something we want, so you have grounds for negotiations," Okonjo-Iweala said.

With the discovery of shale oil and gas in the United States, Nigeria is losing its biggest customer and looking for new buyers. India has been increasing its imports from Nigeria. ($1 = 160.1000 Nigerian naira) (Editing by Tim Cocks/Ruth Pitchford)
Re: Nigeria Seeks $3Billion Loan From China by kliverpool(m): 1:47pm On Jul 05, 2013
i will suggest we revoke all oil bloc license given to individual.
we can give it to the Chinese pple and they will help us develop our rd and other infrastructure.
how on earth will individual control what belongs to every body.
And the government is borrowing money.
Re: Nigeria Seeks $3Billion Loan From China by thegoodjoehunt(m): 1:48pm On Jul 05, 2013
Santi19: When will we ever learn, tired of this sick country....imagine, Nigeria borrowing $3b from China, that's when you know this country is f***ing broke
Don't mind them. Our Minister of finance is using our Oil money to play forex. That is why the government now has a foreign account in an investment bank and are borrowing to run the nation.

I hope they know JP Morgan and Goldmann Sachs crashed the American Economy. OLODOS running Nigeria.

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Seeks $3Billion Loan From China by danny301: 1:50pm On Jul 05, 2013
dridowu: A lot of billion dollars about to squander

even embezzled

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Seeks $3Billion Loan From China by thegoodjoehunt(m): 1:51pm On Jul 05, 2013
joshmoy:
Oya...that's the spirit of revolution!
Btwn...u go just die lyk fowl

There are ways to protest without risking lives. It just takes planning. I believe a Social Media protest can even be more effective and gather more people than public gatherings.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Seeks $3Billion Loan From China by thegoodjoehunt(m): 1:58pm On Jul 05, 2013
kutufanibida: Please my observation on the loan to the minister of finance i believe is a good thing to develop our beloved country but the said loan should be material and managed by the chines resources for our infrastructure thank you. shocked

Which loan has never been for the development of our beloved country? Yet with all these Billions of dollars borrowed, common amenities like electric power and pipe borne water is still a fantasy. angry

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Seeks $3Billion Loan From China by lumeneng22: 2:02pm On Jul 05, 2013
Borrow as you like,but remember to impliment minimum wage across board and harmonize pensioners salary as well.
Re: Nigeria Seeks $3Billion Loan From China by ddeola: 2:12pm On Jul 05, 2013
Eyah ! The present crop of leaders are thieves, Dem talk am say una don spoil d economy say Nija no get money na ds same Ngozi dey deny am, now dem dey go-a-borrowing. Yeye liars

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Seeks $3Billion Loan From China by thegoodjoehunt(m): 2:26pm On Jul 05, 2013

Nigeria's central bank governor Lamido Sanusi warned African governments in March that China's pursuit of raw materials and markets for its manufactured goods on the continent carried "a whiff of colonialism" similar to that introduced by Europeans in centuries past.

"I'm not of the school that says 'look this is colonialism' ... We should be open to whoever wants to invest and help us finance our needs," Okonjo-Iweala said.

In the words of Jona - I DON'T GIVE A D*MN.

I hope I conveyed your message Mrs Finace Minister.
Re: Nigeria Seeks $3Billion Loan From China by Nobody: 3:14pm On Jul 05, 2013
I hope our leaders will not finally sell our future to the Chinese from the way they are taking loans from them. The younger generation I belong to in Nigeria future is half way sold already.
Re: Nigeria Seeks $3Billion Loan From China by obi123: 3:18pm On Jul 05, 2013
devour129: and my worst or our worst fear is that the money will embezzled as usual

your fear is the reality of what will become of that money , its really heartbreaking
Re: Nigeria Seeks $3Billion Loan From China by sobaemma(m): 3:22pm On Jul 05, 2013
Since when has we been borrowing oooo,since whenwhere is our oil money?liars,this money will be shared among minister,senators,house of reps,president and vice,press will cut their share,after one week that one don go,ooooooo how can i go and nationalize in south africa,my rulers no be am

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Seeks $3Billion Loan From China by DisGuy: 3:23pm On Jul 05, 2013
Y'ALL BETTER START LEARNING CHINESE!!! LOL

and teach your children mandarin cos when these people come for their money eh cheesy

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Seeks $3Billion Loan From China by fkaz(m): 3:32pm On Jul 05, 2013

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Seeks $3Billion Loan From China by b03liberty(m): 3:35pm On Jul 05, 2013
And where is subsidy money I thnk it suppost to be for infrastructural development...

2 Likes

Re: Nigeria Seeks $3Billion Loan From China by InvertedHammer: 4:25pm On Jul 05, 2013
/
I am yet to see any person or country that borrowed herself into prosperity.

Comfort may appear temporarily but on the long run the borrower ends up a slave.

//

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Seeks $3Billion Loan From China by ttts(m): 5:48pm On Jul 05, 2013
I sense trouble ahead for our beloved country. Its almost like our birthright is being sold to them. We don't need all this a-borrowing...hmmmm..
Re: Nigeria Seeks $3Billion Loan From China by COOLDUN: 6:02pm On Jul 05, 2013
Capnd143: almost all first commentators are brainless ignoramus! GEJ is not going there to burrow only you fools; he is going to for;
1.Defense assistance
3.discuss investment opportunities with xi jinping and other chinese business men

Did you read the article well? please if you read it in darkness i beg you in the name of God to read it again whenever you have light ok. But if you read it well, then go back and demand for a refund of your school fees.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Seeks $3Billion Loan From China by Nobody: 6:07pm On Jul 05, 2013
Re: Nigeria Seeks $3Billion Loan From China by Nobody: 6:49pm On Jul 05, 2013
Re: Nigeria Seeks $3Billion Loan From China by DisGuy: 7:03pm On Jul 05, 2013
decode: Government is financed by tax revenue and borrowings. Besides the loan is cheap @ 3% (cooperative rate).

cheap loans that arent used for revenue generating projects or visibly completed project are a pain in the backside

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Seeks $3Billion Loan From China by Katsumoto: 7:06pm On Jul 05, 2013
decode: Government is financed by tax revenue and borrowings. Besides the loan is cheap @ 3% (cooperative rate).

Not all governments borrow. How many oil producing nations are in debt?

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Seeks $3Billion Loan From China by 4Play(m): 7:31pm On Jul 05, 2013
The main problem for me is that we have a corrupt Govt that cannot be trusted with money. Other than that, Nigeria has major infrastructure needs that require heavy borrowing for the Govt to finance it.

There's this major misconception that Nigeria is a rich country because of oil. I live in the UK, a country of 62m with a national budget of $1 trillion. A back of the envelope calculation of our oil proceeds, 2m barrels per day at $100 per barrel, will give you gross revenues of $73bn, a huge chunk of which will be retained by the oil companies. Given the infrastructural challenges, even the most honest and competent policy makers will require heavy borrowing as our oil revenues will not go far in meeting our development challenges.

Another pattern I have noticed is for Nigerians to bemoan our disproportionate recurrent expenditure whilst expressing glib condemnations about Aso Rock food budget and the National Assembly members's obscene allowances. Whilst these are examples of waste, it is an act of self-delusion to ignore the reality that most of our recurrent expenditure is made up of public sector wages and fuel subsidy. If Nigerians really want to curtail recurrent expenditure, they will have to accept the removal of fuel subsidy and reduction of the public sector wage bill.

The reality is that we have the country we deserve. A people prone to supporting bone headed economic policies and tribal causes have no right to a prosperous and peaceful country.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Seeks $3Billion Loan From China by ssii: 8:01pm On Jul 05, 2013
Why are they still borrowing despite all the oil money. God deliver us, OBJ has paid off some. GEJ is borrowing. These people are destroying our economy and selling off the future of our children. How are they going to pay off all these debts? If they manage what comes in judiciously, we won't be borrowing this way. Enough of wastage and looting, enough of corruption in this country. Bakare was right, GEJ would drive this country into bankruptcy if we are not careful.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Seeks $3Billion Loan From China by Nobody: 8:42pm On Jul 05, 2013
I can't find words to describe my feelings towards these akward news.GOD HELP US..
Re: Nigeria Seeks $3Billion Loan From China by DisGuy: 9:17pm On Jul 05, 2013
4 Play: The main problem for me is that we have a corrupt Govt that cannot be trusted with money. Other than that, Nigeria has major infrastructure needs that require heavy borrowing for the Govt to finance it.

Another pattern I have noticed is for Nigerians to bemoan our disproportionate recurrent expenditure whilst expressing glib condemnations about Aso Rock food budget and the National Assembly members's obscene allowances. Whilst these are examples of waste, it is an act of self-delusion to ignore the reality that most of our recurrent expenditure is made up of public sector wages and fuel subsidy. If Nigerians really want to curtail recurrent expenditure, they will have to accept the removal of fuel subsidy and reduction of the public sector wage bill.

The reality is that we have the country we deserve. A people prone to supporting bone headed economic policies and tribal causes have no right to a prosperous and peaceful country.

perhaps if/when they block leakages; abandon projects, abandoned ministries/departments,reduce presidential jets etc

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Seeks $3Billion Loan From China by thegoodjoehunt(m): 10:47pm On Jul 05, 2013
The government should stop preaching their Goldmann Sachs stories to us. The truth is the banks failed America and if we follow their expertraites, they will fail us.

What Nigeria needs now is dividends of democracy that will cut across alleviating the pains of Nigerians.

For now they should focus on what our revenue can do for us than borrowing to achieve pipe dreams. An agricultural revitalization, clean water, stable electric power supply can't be too much for our oil revenue
angry
4 Play: The main problem for me is that we have a corrupt Govt that cannot be trusted with money. Other than that, Nigeria has major infrastructure needs that require heavy borrowing for the Govt to finance it.

There's this major misconception that Nigeria is a rich country because of oil. I live in the UK, a country of 62m with a national budget of $1 trillion. A back of the envelope calculation of our oil proceeds, 2m barrels per day at $100 per barrel, will give you gross revenues of $73bn, a huge chunk of which will be retained by the oil companies. Given the infrastructural challenges, even the most honest and competent policy makers will require heavy borrowing as our oil revenues will not go far in meeting our development challenges.

Re: Nigeria Seeks $3Billion Loan From China by Nobody: 11:10pm On Jul 05, 2013
P.Stacks:
Is there no other thing they can lie against.. Everytime.. Road, Infrastructure, Electricity, aviation.. These same old same old things..

Our leaders must think we are daft or something.

Tell me something.. So free $3billion dollars is up for grabs and u say politicians shouldn't kill themselves to occupy political offices..

Na Today yansh don dey for back? Abi no be this same naija wey we dey..

Nothing good can and will ever come out of Nigeria.. I'm a nigeria and a real patriotic one at that. But until we change this Naijiocracy for real Democracy, we are not going nowhere..

Road and Electricity for how long? I wish this Road and Electricity has mouth to talk..

A Debtor is Slave to the creditor.. We are gon be slaves to China. We are signing a bond to be china's slave..

China would willingly borrow us and Niger-Delta would pay for it with delapitation of farmlands and pollution of the aerable agricultural lands..
China knows we have crude.. They will be more than happy to doll out cash to our more than currupt leaders..

Road and Electricity in this 21st century, when China herself is launching Rockets to space everyday with male and female astronauts alike in space, Nigeria is still borrowing from china..

Nigeria is under some sort of spell or something..
Congratulations to the govenment of the day, the have free $3Billion dollars to share afterall they won't be in government when payback time reach and d funds would'a been in some swiss accounts..

I'm a modafuckingly proud Nigerian mehn! A country where anything goes..

I wish I could just get 1% of the $3billion dollars..

Nigeria has gotten to a level that we are not even afraid of Billion dollarz again. We would soon start talking in Trillion dollarz yet noting on ground to show for it..

Se na like dis we go dey dey?
AM
Re: Nigeria Seeks $3Billion Loan From China by trolling(m): 11:33pm On Jul 05, 2013
u guys are gonna be devastated socio-economically when America's economy collapse,its gonna be really bad for you guys,dont mean to burst your bubble but its all over the internet and in the good book
Re: Nigeria Seeks $3Billion Loan From China by loswhite(m): 11:36pm On Jul 05, 2013
Capnd143: almost all first commentators are brainless ignoramus! GEJ is not going there to burrow only you fools; he is going to for;
1.Defense assistance

pls u do sum research b4 spewing rubbish
Re: Nigeria Seeks $3Billion Loan From China by loswhite(m): 11:41pm On Jul 05, 2013
Msgamble: Look at what bad leadership as cost us..after WW-2 in 1945,China n 9ja were on the same level(undeveloped country) no air force,poor infrastructure even their pilot n engineer were trained in 1950s by the Japanese..buh loot at them today(60yrs laters) they are the 2nd largest economic in d world very succesful nation even more than UK(their colonizer)..what are we(9ja)? Impoverished nation dependant on foreign aid n grants..shm
how r they more successful than uk? 2nd largest economy does not translate to better standard of living than the uk

1 Like

Re: Nigeria Seeks $3Billion Loan From China by loswhite(m): 12:05am On Jul 06, 2013
dont be deceived by the 3%. We borrow money frm china to build infrastructure . As part of the deal, Chinese companies will be d ones to build d infrastructure, meaning we are going to be importing both most of the materials from them and also creating jobs 4 sum of their ppl dat will come as expatriate to build the infrastructure. After all this we will still pay d borrowed money with 3% interest and also they get a chance to negotiate buying our crude oil probably at a cheaper price.
It is important to note that the Chinese company that will build d infrastructure will pay huge tax back to the Chinese government and also make profit 4 d building of the infrastructure.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Aso Rock Banquet Hall ( Pictures ) / Nigeria’s Daily Petrol Consumption Reduces By 33.58% - NMDPRA / Goodluck Jonathan Should Resign!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 64
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.