Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,773 members, 7,831,486 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 07:32 PM

Jay-z Credits Canadian Born Nigerian Teen Ebony Oshunrinde On New Album - Music/Radio - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Music/Radio / Jay-z Credits Canadian Born Nigerian Teen Ebony Oshunrinde On New Album (884 Views)

Instagram Helped Canadian Born Nigerian Land A Beat On Drake's New Mixtape / D’banj To Work With Former Partner Don Jazzy On New Album / Ebony Oshunrinde Created A Beat For Jay-z's New Album (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Jay-z Credits Canadian Born Nigerian Teen Ebony Oshunrinde On New Album by Siga: 2:35am On Jul 05, 2013
In the hip hop world, she’s WondaGurl, a budding producer who created a beat that appears on Magna Carta Holy Grail , Jay-Z’s new album.

At home, in Brampton, she’s Ebony Oshunrinde, a 16-year-old who does her homework before heading to a computer to make beats.

One of those beats has scored her a production credit on “Crown,” a track on the long-awaited new Jay-Z album that was released digitally to a million customers via a free Samsung app beginning Thursday at 12:01 a.m.

“It’s a really good feeling. I want to show young people that they can do it,” said Oshunrinde, who just finished Grade 11 at Chinguacousy Secondary School .

“Anybody can be successful. It doesn’t matter where you’re from.”

A year ago, after winning Toronto’s Battle of the Beat Makers competition at only 15, Oshunrinde got serious about her music. She signed on with Black Box, the same label as Classified, and started working in a studio.

“It’s amazing to see somebody with that much talent working as hard as she can to make the most of it at such a young age,” said Ian Stanger, a representative with Black Box. “It’s her work that people should be paying attention to, not the fact that’s she 16.” He could not confirm how much Oshunrinde will be paid for her effort. The beat that landed on Jay-Z’s album began with a reggae song. Oshunrinde sampled the music and added her own twist using computer software.

“It has a lot of bass and a lot of bounce,” she explained. She worked on her beat once and sent it to Travis Scott, a young rapper and producer from Houston who met Oshunrinde last year. He happened to be working in the studio with Jay-Z when she sent him her beat.

A few days later, Oshunrinde was at home with her brother and sister when her phone buzzed. “He texted me and said, ‘I’m about to change your life,’” Oshunrinde said.
When Scott told her that her cut made it on to Jay-Z’s album, she thought it was a joke. “Usually that doesn’t really happen to 16-year-olds,” the teen said.

And when she told her mother the good news, she cried. Oshunrinde has never met Jay-Z and, like everyone else, had to wait for the digital release Thursday morning to hear “Crown.”
She just got her passport last year, and hopes she’ll meet the rap mogul next time she ventures south of the border.

Since Scott spilled the beans on Twitter about Oshunrinde’s appearance on Magna Carta Holy Grail , the teen has received lots of supportive tweets . “A lot more people want to work with me now. It’s pretty cool.”

http://www.thestar.com/entertainment/2013/07/04/jayz_credits_ontario_teen_wondagurl_on_new_album.html

Re: Jay-z Credits Canadian Born Nigerian Teen Ebony Oshunrinde On New Album by Siga: 2:38am On Jul 05, 2013
MODs help move this to fp....this girl is good....
Re: Jay-z Credits Canadian Born Nigerian Teen Ebony Oshunrinde On New Album by splashbaby(m): 5:19am On Jul 05, 2013
Hard work....brings fortune
Re: Jay-z Credits Canadian Born Nigerian Teen Ebony Oshunrinde On New Album by nerodenero: 6:20am On Jul 05, 2013
I'm happy for her,hardwork pays and congratulations on this achievement.I believe more success will still come your way.There are so many teenagers like her with lots of talent but no opportunity to excel.I just pray things get better in this Country.

(1) (Reply)

Top 10 Most Gifted Rappers Without Me?-terry Tha Rapman Blasts Another List / Entertainment Business Is Too Much Hype- More Fame Than Fortune Says Bankyw / What Was Your Favorite Music Video In 2013?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.