Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,320 members, 7,819,091 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 11:04 AM

How Bad Can Lagos Drainage Problems Get? - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / How Bad Can Lagos Drainage Problems Get? (4786 Views)

Oshiomhole Builds 30-feet Underground Drainage System In Benin (photos) / Can Lagos Be Said To Be Working When Nigeria Is Not Working? / Nigeria's 'worst Place To Live'- Can Lagos compete with New York or London? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How Bad Can Lagos Drainage Problems Get? by toluernanes: 11:51am On Jul 05, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEk7m8mWfs8

I shot the above video yesterday while taking a walk down, sorry, navigating a road in Surulere. If you watched the video, you would notice the heap of dry mud on both sides of the road, then the mucky wet mud strewn across and all over the road, making it quite difficult to walk on.

Now this is a huge problem. It was not my first time walking along that road after it rained so I know that normally, walking on the road after a heavy rain is not difficult at all. But when some guys came to dredge the gutters, then left the mud and debris they extracted from the gutters on the shoulder of the road where people should be walking, it made walking along that road a veritable chore. This is not acceptable. In an age where the state government is aiming to turn Lagos into a megacity, things like this should quite frankly not be obtainable.

Just look at the silliness of it all. After extracting all that rubbish from the gutters, the left them right beside the gutters. When it rains, the water sweeps all the rubbish, you guessed right, right back into the very same gutters they cleared out. How sensible is that? Besides, heaping all that rubish where people should be walking is just plain crazy, leaving pedestrians to struggle for road space with vehicles. Who does stuff like that.

I think the state legislature should make a law stipulating a fine for things like this. This can’t be allowed to stand. It’s an eyesore and makes things difficult for others. If anyone clears out their drainage, they should properly dispose of the debris. Even if it is the state government doing the clearing, they should still dispose of the rubbish properly.

Ahn ahn! Is it so difficult?

http://tolusconvos.tk/2013/on-a-more-serious-note/how-bad-can-lagos-drainage-problems-get/

2 Likes

Re: How Bad Can Lagos Drainage Problems Get? by dridowu: 9:36am On Jul 06, 2013
Drainage system in Nigeria is generally bad not just 4 lagos.

1 Like

Re: How Bad Can Lagos Drainage Problems Get? by nekaa(f): 9:37am On Jul 06, 2013
This isn't news now,its so normal.... And this thread made front page without a single comment, total waste of ma battery not even my mb.
Re: How Bad Can Lagos Drainage Problems Get? by FrontPageLawyer(m): 9:37am On Jul 06, 2013
@OP flooding is not peculiar to Lagos, please try Benin.
Re: How Bad Can Lagos Drainage Problems Get? by Nobody: 9:38am On Jul 06, 2013
dridowu: .

BUSTED!!! YOU MUST BE BANNED> I'm fourth maybe
Re: How Bad Can Lagos Drainage Problems Get? by LeStylo: 9:39am On Jul 06, 2013
!
Re: How Bad Can Lagos Drainage Problems Get? by dridowu: 9:41am On Jul 06, 2013
Delivery Man:

king arizona: Who's that st.up.I'd guy up there that jus waisted a 1st to comment with his good for nothing DOT... With the power vasted on me... I declear my self as d 1ST TO COMMENT
Delivery Man:

wetin hapin guys, wetin i do, no b talk say make u dy use snail network. Abeg free me oooooo, b4 i report to my ceo
Re: How Bad Can Lagos Drainage Problems Get? by anonimi: 9:42am On Jul 06, 2013
As long as Fashola, SAN is struggling with the FG to build and toll Airport road as well other federal roads rather than focus on his state roads and ENCOURAGE his fellow ACN chairmen and councillors of LGAs to clean up guitters REGULARLY and efficiently on a daily basis during the rainy season as well as dry season.

That should involve workers paid the minimum wage of 18k not the wuru wuru, mago mago "empowerment" of 8k-10k.
Abi nor be so dem dey do am for the obodo oyinbo UK wey dem ACN people dey like yarn sey there dem dey chill

4 Likes

Re: How Bad Can Lagos Drainage Problems Get? by Jaideyone(m): 9:43am On Jul 06, 2013
@topic since the problem wasn't like that before the dredging then the debris should be removed to free the drainage. I miss lagos
Re: How Bad Can Lagos Drainage Problems Get? by bigass(f): 9:45am On Jul 06, 2013
dridowu: Drainage system in Nigeria is generally bad not just 4 lagos.

you should be ashamed of yourself by congratulating yourself for comment first on another person's thread. i am sure you are a DR of cockroaches and mosquitoes
Re: How Bad Can Lagos Drainage Problems Get? by rozayx5(m): 9:47am On Jul 06, 2013
dridowu: Drainage system in Nigeria is generally bad not just 4 lagos.

speak for yourself Bro too lame an excuse to hide Fashola's elitist Government
Uyo has one of the Best drainage system's in Nigeria being constructed By Julius Berger

1 Like

Re: How Bad Can Lagos Drainage Problems Get? by Nobody: 9:49am On Jul 06, 2013
rozayx5:

speak for yourself Bro too lame an excuse to hide Fashola elitist Government
Uyo has the Best drainage system in Nigeria being constructed By Julius Berger
'

Tell'em
Re: How Bad Can Lagos Drainage Problems Get? by FrontPageLawyer(m): 9:51am On Jul 06, 2013
bigass:

you should be ashamed of yourself by congratulating yourself for comment first on another person's thread. i am sure you are a DR of cockroaches and mosquitoes

Vet doctor you mean?
Re: How Bad Can Lagos Drainage Problems Get? by anonimi: 9:56am On Jul 06, 2013
rozayx5:

Uyo has one of the Best drainage system's in Nigeria being constructed By Julius Berger

When will se start to look beyond SIMPLY construction of gutters and also EMPHASISE regular cleaning and clearing of the debris that accumulates every day
I think I have only seen Calabar doing a good job of that when PDP's Donald Duke was in charge as governor.

Ada t'o mu sansan k'ole san oko fun ara re - a sharp cutlass can not cut the grass all by itself.
MAINTENANCE is very necessary.
Re: How Bad Can Lagos Drainage Problems Get? by dridowu: 9:59am On Jul 06, 2013
rozayx5:

u remind of state and capital. The last time i check my state and capital note, Lagos is a state while Uyo is Capital, compare state by state and capital by capital, local council by council, town to town , village to village, street to street.
Ikeja=Uyo. Ikeja also has best drainage in Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: How Bad Can Lagos Drainage Problems Get? by dridowu: 10:00am On Jul 06, 2013
bigass:

no comment ur name speak alot. Peace
Re: How Bad Can Lagos Drainage Problems Get? by johnstar(m): 10:12am On Jul 06, 2013
Luk @ur left -------------------------------------->> I said left idiota
Re: How Bad Can Lagos Drainage Problems Get? by SlyIg(f): 11:08am On Jul 06, 2013
For dia Oyibo mind!
Re: How Bad Can Lagos Drainage Problems Get? by Aikayy: 1:44pm On Jul 06, 2013
dridowu: u remind of state and capital. The last time i check my state and capital note, Lagos is a state while Uyo is Capital, compare state by state and capital by capital, local council by council, town to town , village to village, street to street.
Ikeja=Uyo. Ikeja also has best drainage in Nigeria.
Ikeja has no good drainage, ikeja has a horrible hosing sef!
Re: How Bad Can Lagos Drainage Problems Get? by Rossikk(m): 1:49pm On Jul 06, 2013
The comments on this thread only show the backward reasoning of our people which contributes to this nonsense. Even after the poster has stated the problem, some folks STILL talk about 'clearing the drainages', when they should be talking of eliminating all open drainage.

1 Like

Re: How Bad Can Lagos Drainage Problems Get? by Nobody: 10:14pm On Jul 06, 2013
Sanitary pad should be banned,its the major cause of blockage.
Re: How Bad Can Lagos Drainage Problems Get? by mojeer678: 4:43pm On Oct 06, 2013
[quote author=tolu_ernanes]
In an age where the state government is aiming to turn Lagos into a megacity

I think the state legislature should make a law stipulating a fine for things like this.[\quote]

@tolu_ernanes, 2 points: Lagos is already a mega city, it's fast approaching that level described as a meta city. Secondly, Lagos has too many unenforceable laws already, experience has shown that you can't legislate common sense into existence.

Lagos as portrayed by the bought and paid for mass media is quite different from the reality on ground, I mean the common ground, not the selected & exclusive high brow areas that have been excluded from the operation of the Tenancy Law 2011.

For more exposés of the real Lagos, this comes highly recommended:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/171828536/Metro-Lagos-Upgrade

(1) (Reply)

Bola Tinubu Moves To Banana Island / 2015: Jonathan Schemes For S’west Votes / GMB Chief Of Staff

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.