Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,483 members, 7,954,864 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 11:08 AM

The Message Of The Cross. - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Message Of The Cross. (1696 Views)

Pastor Adeboye Warns Members About Sister Linda's Message Of Hell / The Distorted Message Of Grace That We Preach / How Were People Saved Before Jesus Christ Died On The Cross? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Message Of The Cross. by Tgirl4real(f): 5:54pm On Jul 05, 2013
I tried to search if there is any topic in this line, but couldn't see any . . .

While searching the net for some info I needed, I came across this article on The Message of the Cross;

http://www.sermonnotebook.org/new%20testament/1%20Corinthians%201_17-18.htm

1Cor 1: 17-18

The cross has been removed from today's gospel teaching. The message of the cross has been watered down from being Christ-centered to a ‘me-me’ gospel. Men have peddled the Word for their personal gain thereby preaching a false Christ that offers no hope nor have the power to save anyone.

Without the cross there is no salvation.

This false gospel gives us false hope. It makes us weak in times of tribulation and affliction because we are made to believe a lie - a life of fairy tale. It makes us question our faith when faced with life's challenges. That is when we ask such questions as "why me?" forgetting that a Christian should rejoice in affliction (James 1: 2-4), trusting God for our 'deliverance'.

The message of the cross talks about denying self and living for Christ. Our purpose in life as believers is to please God. Faith in Him means obedience. Trusting and obeying His words.

Are we truly preaching the message of the cross today or a man-made gospel?

1 Like

Re: The Message Of The Cross. by Nobody: 6:40pm On Jul 05, 2013
Good evening Tgirl,

Nice topic!

The message of the cross is quite a difficult one to accept today...some persons prefer to be told exactly what they want to hear and what appeals to their 'vanity'.

Small wonder why we see a number of MoG preaching a gospel of convenience, otherwise the membership of their respective churches would plummet at an alarming rate.

The message of the cross is the real deal and should be preached to all and sundry...I do believe that the gospel of convenience is also an aspect of the message of Christ but in order to arrive at this gospel, it is important that every Christian goes through the gospel of the cross.
Re: The Message Of The Cross. by plaetton: 7:56pm On Jul 05, 2013
The religion racket, just like every other racket, is a marketplace where supply tries to meet demand through a price- discovery mechanism.
Christ is like a clay that can be molded to meet the specific demands of any marketplace.
History confirms this.
It has always been so and will always be so.
Re: The Message Of The Cross. by Nobody: 8:43pm On Jul 05, 2013
The message of the Cross in my limited understanding is to switch our allegiance from the love of this world to the love of GOD.

We deny ourselves the comforts and pleasures of this world to fulfil the will of the father , to propagate the good news of the kingdom , to live lives that display the fruits of the Spirit so that the world may draw closer to Jesus, we love our lives not unto death in the process of fulfilling our high calling.
Re: The Message Of The Cross. by Tgirl4real(f): 9:17pm On Jul 05, 2013
striktlymi: Good evening Tgirl,

Nice topic!

The message of the cross is quite a difficult one to accept today...some persons prefer to be told exactly what they want to hear and what appeals to their 'vanity'.

Small wonder why we see a number of MoG preaching a gospel of convenience, otherwise the membership of their respective churches would plummet at an alarming rate.

The message of the cross is the real deal and should be preached to all and sundry...I do believe that the gospel of convenience is also an aspect of the message of Christ but in order to arrive at this gospel, it is important that every Christian goes through the gospel of the cross.

Good evening. thanks for d comment.

Without emphasis on the cross, there can't be true salvation.
Re: The Message Of The Cross. by Tgirl4real(f): 9:51pm On Jul 05, 2013
plaetton: The religion racket, just like every other racket, is a marketplace where supply tries to meet demand through a price- discovery mechanism.
Christ is like a clay that can be molded to meet the specific demands of any marketplace.
History confirms this.
It has always been so and will always be so.

You sure know that the Christ that can be molded to meet demand is surely not the Christ of the bible and it can save no one.
Re: The Message Of The Cross. by Tgirl4real(f): 10:20pm On Jul 05, 2013
frosbel: The message of the Cross in my limited understanding is to switch our allegiance from the love of this world to the love of GOD.

We deny ourselves the comforts and pleasures of this world to fulfil the will of the father , to propagate the good news of the kingdom , to live lives that display the fruits of the Spirit so that the world may draw closer to Jesus, we love our lives not unto death in the process of fulfilling our high calling.

Thanks bruv. You just nailed it. Denying self and pleasing God is d crux of d msg. The Christian walk is never convenient, but how do we know this when we are taught that being born again means having ur best life now.
Re: The Message Of The Cross. by flourishG(m): 10:28pm On Jul 05, 2013
The message of the cross is what the judaizers n judaism don't like at all.That's what Paul meant when he says, we preach christ and him crucified(on the cross) and that preaching offends the jews(that practice judaism) and to the gentiles,it is foolishness.The power of the cross in more than a being hung on a tree for the cross is the killer itself.it kills self,it kills sin and d sinner.it kills religion.it kills christ in the flesh n the power of ressurection rose up the christ of the Spirit so we no longer know christ according to the flesh because the cross killed that christ according to the flesh but we not know christ according to the Spirit of life which raise up christ from d dead.we can make a whole doctrine out of the cross,it is all offensive to judaism n judaizer christians who still want to hold to the religion of the old covenant.
Re: The Message Of The Cross. by shdemidemi(m): 10:39pm On Jul 05, 2013
^^^^ nice post flourishg

@ OP

What exactly is the message of the cross?
Re: The Message Of The Cross. by flourishG(m): 10:55pm On Jul 05, 2013
shdemidemi: ^^^^ nice post flourishg

@ OP

i love to have conversation with you on most topics.you carry the message of the new covenant i have read so far but not that i agree with all things u say.somethings u right but you probably didn't use the right word to communicate but because i understand i the new covenant also,i can relate well to what u saying most time.the most important thing to me is to kill judaism n legalistism within christianity.

back to your question,we can wait for the op to answer but we can also make a lot of messages on the messages of the cross.....all in the book of romans.the cross is the first the killer and what does it kill?the cross is the divider of the old n d new covenant.the cross is the curse lifting power of God n it offends judaizers because judaizers still teach that christians are under the cuurse of the law but christ crucified n cross cursed,therefore,there's a divine exchange of curse for blessings.that's y no conddemnation and all blessings to those u in christ.we can go on n on.all powerful,the cross of christ is what set us free from the bondage of the law so we can bring forth fruit on newness of life.more also,the last seven statements of christ on the cross are the messages of the cross,paul explains each of them 7 statements(messages)to the church but the jews that killed jesus never understood what he was saying,they were busy scourging n laughing at him,that's y the message of the cross offends the jews n foolishness to gentiles.
Re: The Message Of The Cross. by alexleo(m): 10:57pm On Jul 05, 2013
Tgirl4real:

The cross has been removed from today's gospel teaching. The message of the cross has been watered down from being Christ-centered to a ‘me-me’ gospel. Men have peddled the Word for their personal gain thereby preaching a false Christ that offers no hope nor have the power to save anyone.

Without the cross there is no salvation.

This false gospel gives us false hope. It makes us weak in times of tribulation and affliction because we are made to believe a lie - a life of fairy tale. It makes us question our faith when faced with life's challenges. That is when we ask such questions as "why me?" forgetting that a Christian should rejoice in affliction (James 1: 2-4), trusting God for our 'deliverance'.

The message of the cross talks about denying self and living for Christ. Our purpose in life as believers is to please God. Faith in Him means obedience. Trusting and obeying His words.

Are we truly preaching the message of the cross today or a man-made gospel?

AMEN

striktlymi: Good evening Tgirl,

Nice topic!

AMEN

frosbel: The message of the Cross in my limited understanding is to switch our allegiance from the love of this world to the love of GOD.

AMEN

Tgirl4real:

Thanks bruv. You just nailed it. Denying self and pleasing God is d crux of d msg. The Christian walk is never convenient, but how do we know this when we are taught that being born again means having ur best life now.

AND AMEN.
Re: The Message Of The Cross. by shdemidemi(m): 11:00pm On Jul 05, 2013
@flourish g
Ok, we can discuss on the Romans thread about the things you disagree with.
Re: The Message Of The Cross. by flourishG(m): 11:33pm On Jul 05, 2013
shdemidemi: @flourish g
Ok, we can discuss on the Romans thread about the things you disagree with.
okay brother.every verse in romans(context or no context) is doctrinal basis.do u agree with that?
Re: The Message Of The Cross. by shdemidemi(m): 6:14am On Jul 06, 2013
^^^ absolutely, The book of Romans is a doctrinal and instructional book to true believers. If you don't understand the book, you are just a church goer.
Re: The Message Of The Cross. by Tgirl4real(f): 5:37pm On Jul 08, 2013
shdemidemi: ^^^^ nice post flourishg

@ OP

Frosbel sumed it up kind of and you can read the article(link) I posted put there.

First, it is an offensive message to the sinful man

It talks about dying to self daily and living for Christ

It talks about suffering for the sake of the gospel.

It is Christ-centered and not ME-centered.

It is not about living your best life now.

The pastors in the house can help me out. wink
Re: The Message Of The Cross. by flourishG(m): 9:58pm On Jul 08, 2013
^Go thru all the words of Christ on da cross(7 of them) n let the new testament do exegesis on those words and you will perfectly understand the 'message' of the cross.it is contained in the last words of Christ,revealed to the apostles by the resurrected christ.that's an assignment for u.
Re: The Message Of The Cross. by ichuka(m): 10:27pm On Jul 08, 2013
The message of the Cross is the full Gospel of God,which is also the Gospel of Grace.
its one and the same Gospel/Message.
The Crucification,Resurrection and Ascension of our Lord Jesus Christ are not two but one and the same Gospel/Message.
so preaching The Cross is the same as preaching the Gospel of Grace.
Re: The Message Of The Cross. by Tgirl4real(f): 9:02am On Jul 09, 2013
i.chuka:
The message of the Cross is the full Gospel of God,which is also the Gospel of Grace.
its one and the same Gospel/Message.
The Crucification,Resurrection and Ascension of our Lord Jesus Christ are not two but one and the same Gospel/Message.
so preaching The Cross is the same as preaching the Gospel of Grace.

You are right. The question is: the gospel we preach today, does it tally with what scripture says?

Do we come to Christ cos we needed, healing or spouse or cos of riches?

Cos the christ that is being peddled about sounds more like a genie that is out to please everybody, a whimp that needs to be ordered around and he is insecure, so he needs you to constantly affirm your love to him.

Tht christ isn't same as the one in scriptures.
Re: The Message Of The Cross. by italo: 9:14am On Jul 09, 2013
@ Tgirl4real,

The message of the cross has not been forgotten by the Catholic Church. It's what we are taught day in day out. You might want to join us.

It's only an advice. I dont think you'll take it but I must say it.

Cheers.
Re: The Message Of The Cross. by Tgirl4real(f): 5:52pm On Jul 09, 2013
italo: @ Tgirl4real,

The message of the cross has not been forgotten by the Catholic Church. It's what we are taught day in day out. You might want to join us.

Cheers.

No, thanks.

lol
Re: The Message Of The Cross. by italo: 7:38pm On Jul 09, 2013
Tgirl4real:

No, thanks.

lol

Very well, then.
Re: The Message Of The Cross. by flourishG(m): 7:49pm On Jul 09, 2013

Cheers.
join who? Seriously?
Re: The Message Of The Cross. by shdemidemi(m): 7:55pm On Jul 09, 2013

Cheers.

Coming from a guy that does not know the message/gospel of Christ that leads unto salvation.
Re: The Message Of The Cross. by italo: 9:47pm On Jul 09, 2013
flourishG: join who? Seriously?
shdemidemi:

Coming from a guy that does not know the message/gospel of Christ that leads unto salvation.

God bless you both.
Re: The Message Of The Cross. by shdemidemi(m): 10:12pm On Jul 09, 2013
God bless you too.
Re: The Message Of The Cross. by Tgirl4real(f): 10:30am On Jul 10, 2013
italo:

God bless you both.

Can you tell us what you teach as the message of the cross?
Re: The Message Of The Cross. by italo: 11:34am On Jul 10, 2013
Tgirl4real:

Can you tell us what you teach as the message of the cross?

Christ has said it all...

Matt 16:24 Then Jesus told his disciples, "If any man would come after me, let him deny himself and take up his cross and follow me.
25 For whoever would save his life will lose it, and whoever loses his life for my sake will find it.

And we accept it.

Unlike some who would say "it is not my portion."
Re: The Message Of The Cross. by shdemidemi(m): 11:53am On Jul 10, 2013
^^^Hmmmm.....lip sealed
Re: The Message Of The Cross. by Tgirl4real(f): 12:04pm On Jul 10, 2013
italo:

Christ has said it all...

Matt 16:24 Then Jesus told his disciples, "If any man would come after me, let him deny himself and take up his cross and follow me.
25 For whoever would save his life will lose it, and whoever loses his life for my sake will find it.

And we accept it.

Unlike some who would say "it is not my portion."

OK. Good.

Do you get direct access to God through your salvation in Christ Jesus?
Re: The Message Of The Cross. by Tgirl4real(f): 12:07pm On Jul 10, 2013
Bro Goshen,

I see you peeping. Long time. I hope all is well o.

I mailed you, but didn't get any response.
Re: The Message Of The Cross. by Goshen360(m): 1:12pm On Jul 10, 2013
Tgirl4real: Bro Goshen,

I see you peeping. Long time. I hope all is well o.

I mailed you, but didn't get any response.

I'm fine o my sister just too busy for sometimes now. I tried reply your email but it won't deliver via the forum automated system. Sure you doing good. Nice topic.
Re: The Message Of The Cross. by italo: 1:22pm On Jul 10, 2013
Tgirl4real:

OK. Good.

Do you get direct access to God through your salvation in Christ Jesus?

Yes.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Looking For The Spectacular And Missing The Supernatural / Religion And The Morality (arrogance) Of Power / #trial Time: Ex-gov Orji Uzor Kalu & Dele Momodu Visit Prophet T. B Joshua (pix)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 168
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.