Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,750 members, 7,824,158 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 01:11 AM

How To Cut The Cost Of Building Your Own House - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / How To Cut The Cost Of Building Your Own House (2899 Views)

APC Crisis: Northern Leaders Move To Cut Tinubu To Size / Kwankwaso Demanded N1.3bn For Own House / Cecilia Ibru Paid N225m For Living In Own House (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

How To Cut The Cost Of Building Your Own House by HomesOfLife(m): 6:05pm On Jul 07, 2013
How much better is it to get wisdom than gold! And to get understanding rather to be chosen than silver!
Prov 16:16(KJV)

Cutting the cost of building is an approach whereby you significantly reduce the amount required to build your own house. If you can cut the cost, it would give you the opportunity to build the house fast.

My name is Segun Babs, a Property Developer and Consultant in Surulere and Cutting building cost is my Core business wink

Before I tell you how to cut cost, let me quickly tell you what cutting cost is not:

• It is not using bad and inferior building materials
• It is not cutting down the quantity of cement at any stage of the building.
• It is not cutting down the quality of the materials used.
•It is not using unqualified workers
•It is not reducing the strength of the concrete.
These are the reasons many houses in Nigeria are collapsing today.

WHAT CUTTING COST IS:
-It is getting the best at the lowest cost.
-It is getting things done at the right time for best result.
-It is minimizing cost but maximizing result.

HOW TO CUT COST
Building a house involves two major things after the purchase of the land. It involves materials and labour. To minimize cost, you must know how to handle these things effectively. Let us take them one after the other.

1. MATERIALS
* Get involved in the purchase of your materials. Don't just give them money and sit back.

*Get acquainted with all the materials you will need at every stage. An Artisan can cheat you by inflating the price or by quoting more materials than needed or both. Hence, get to know the prices of these things and the numbers needed for the project by asking different people about it or by going to the market yourself. I want to assure you that there's no way they will not cheat you but what you will do is to push it to the bearest minimum.

*Locate the source of supply of all major building materials like cement, block, sand, gravel, laterite and garnite.

* Find out where the cement deposit is in town or order straight from the company. Companies like Dangote permit people to buy straight from their factory. Saving between N150-N200 per bag. That is about N60,000 savings on 300 bags!!!(Cost of transportation excluded)

*Locate the garage of tippers for sand and gravel

* Visit Iron makers yourself for iron rods

*Visit sawmills located in your area yourself after collecting the type of wood you need from the carpenter. Don't get sentimental with workers, you will save lots of money by getting involved in purchase of your materials; never trust anybody too much to commit your scarce resources into their hands.

* Buy in bulk and use that as a tool for bargaining. Sellers reduce their price if they know that you want to buy much.

*Mould Your Block Your Block Yourself, Don't buy!
This will reduce cost and allow you to determine the quality of your blocks. I once bought 500 blocks and lost more than 50 on my way to my site(most of these blocks are ordinary sand with little cement). When I finally decided to mould my thing myself, instead of the usual N90/block, my blocks came out at N47 per block after paying for materials and labour. Saving a whooping 43 naira per block!

*Buy at the right season
The cost of Cement falls a little during the raining season, since construction is always at its lowest in this period. You can cash on that. The cost of timber and wood on the other hand increases because timber merchants find it difficult to bring timber from the forest.

*Trim down quotes
Get a fair knowledge of what you need at every stage from an independent source. Know the number of blocks a bag of cement would mould, the number of tipper of sand that will be needed for the foundation, the number of bags of cement that would be needed to plaster a bungalow. If they realize that you're knowledgeable, they would be careful the way they handle you.

* Save on Site
Instead of renting headspans, shovels, spades, hammers,diggers, etc daily, you can decide to buy. If you calculate the amount spent on renting, it triples the amount needed to buy these implements. You can sell these things after you must have completed your project, give it out or even keep for future use.

* Avoid wastages
Use excavation from foundation, septic tank, soakaway and deep water well for backfilling the foundation to DPC level (Damp proof courts). Instead of buying laterite.

*Repeat usage
Use the wood used for framework to cast concrete. Keep the wood used to cast German floor for the lintels, use all those bamboos used for props for scaffolding instead of buying new ones wink

* Go far away from your site to check the prices of theese materials. Check the amount it will cost you to the site, also check the markets that are closer to you. Check the prices and transport. See the one that pays you most, go for the cheapest.

* Supervise the usage of your materials yourself.

See You at the Top!

Best Regards,
Segun Babs
Re: How To Cut The Cost Of Building Your Own House by oshobar(m): 6:21pm On Jul 07, 2013
Nice write up!! Thanks! This should make frontpage mods.
Re: How To Cut The Cost Of Building Your Own House by HomesOfLife(m): 4:46pm On Jul 09, 2013
oshobar: Nice write up!! Thanks! This should make frontpage mods.
You're welcome smiley
Re: How To Cut The Cost Of Building Your Own House by kutchs: 5:05pm On Jul 09, 2013
So timely. God bless mahn, am gonna save this page.
Re: How To Cut The Cost Of Building Your Own House by HomesOfLife(m): 5:36pm On Jul 09, 2013
kutchs: So timely. God bless mahn, am gonna save this page.

Glad it helped smiley
Re: How To Cut The Cost Of Building Your Own House by HomesOfLife(m): 8:46pm On Jul 13, 2013
Re: How To Cut The Cost Of Building Your Own House by Mowire: 12:21am On Jul 14, 2013
Oga developer, the first step, best way (if not the only way) in cutting building cost is to engage competent professional, a good contract and trust his judgment.
This practice of mediocrity needs to stop in the building industry in this country!
How does a layman judge the quality of building materials?!
Re: How To Cut The Cost Of Building Your Own House by Mowire: 12:23am On Jul 14, 2013
And MOD, please move this trash to the appropriate section.
Re: How To Cut The Cost Of Building Your Own House by HomesOfLife(m): 6:04pm On Jul 14, 2013
Mowire: Oga developer, the first step, best way (if not the only way) in cutting building cost is to engage competent professional, a good contract and trust his judgment.
This practice of mediocrity needs to stop in the building industry in this country!
How does a layman judge the quality of building materials?!

Mowire: And MOD, please move this trash to the appropriate section.

You're very rude Sir and I doubt you read with understanding(if at all you read through the post and not just blabbing from the topic). If you have ever embarked on a building project, you would know it goes beyond employing a "competent professional and trusting his judgement" of which I didn't negate you doing. As I quoted in my intro, "How much better is it to get wisdom than gold. And to get understanding rather to be chosen than silver"
Prov 16:16(KJV). Before embarking on any project both in Real Estate and every field, pls have a good understanding of the market well before entrusting your hard earned money into a "Professional's" pocket.

Best Regards Sir
Re: How To Cut The Cost Of Building Your Own House by HomesOfLife(m): 4:50pm On Jul 15, 2013
Re: How To Cut The Cost Of Building Your Own House by HomesOfLife(m): 9:00pm On Jul 21, 2013
smiley
Re: How To Cut The Cost Of Building Your Own House by citizenY(m): 9:52pm On Jul 21, 2013
Thanks for the information....MAY ALLA H BLESS YOU, AMIN
Re: How To Cut The Cost Of Building Your Own House by HomesOfLife(m): 12:02am On Jul 22, 2013
Amen Sir smiley
Re: How To Cut The Cost Of Building Your Own House by HomesOfLife(m): 8:39am On Jul 27, 2013
smiley

(1) (Reply)

Tambuwal Set To Dump PDP For APC / Akpos Joke On Buhari's Credentials / #Bring Back My 'Sack Joe Igbokwe' Thread

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.