Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,956 members, 7,817,811 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 08:10 PM

Gafar Williams' Dobox Is Africa's Netflix And Not Iroko TV - TV/Movies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / Gafar Williams' Dobox Is Africa's Netflix And Not Iroko TV (2018 Views)

Iroko TV Owner Jason Njoku Cheating Nollywood, Nigerian Film Producers / The Legend Of Wale Williams, By Roye-Okupe / Funke Akindele Is Africa's Best Actress: What Do You All Think? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Gafar Williams' Dobox Is Africa's Netflix And Not Iroko TV by Orikinla(m): 8:00pm On Jul 07, 2013
Only ignorant people call Iroko TV, Africa's Netflix and Iroko has been using the tag of "Netflix of Africa” to woo millions of people.
Yes, Iroko TV is the continent’s first legal online source of Nollywood movies, including the warts and all.

The real Netflix of Africa is here and it is Dobox. And Dobox offers more than Netflix, because you can also record, upload and share your own original videos like on YouTube. This makes Dobox the first African provider of on-demand Internet streaming and one of the most advanced entertainment on-demand (EOD) portals for premium movies, TV series, documentaries, animations, trailers, music videos and so much more to enjoy on multiple mobile and portable devices on PCs, smartphones, tablets, iPods, PS3, Wii, Xbox and other gadgets.
Dobox is really awesome for a made in Nigeria entertainment on-demand portal.

When the opportunity came to meet with the brain behind Dobox, proudly Nigerian Gafar Williams, I was excited to ask him how he did it.

We met at the luxury Southern Sun Ikoyi in Lagos last Thursday and discussed over tea and some delicacies.
We met to discuss the coming Nigerian premiere of the thrilling "Girl Rising" from Academy Award-Nominated Director Richard E. Robbins and star-studded with Cate Blanchett, Priyanka Chopra, Selena Gomez, Anne Hathaway, Salma Hayek, Alicia Keys, Chloë Moretz, Liam Neeson, Freida Pinto, Meryl Streep and Kerry Washington, the 36-year-old "Scandal" star who got hitched to San Francisco 49ers corner-back Nigerian American Nnamdi Asomugha on June 24 in Blaine County, Idaho.

Gafar is a young Nigerian like Iroko TV's James Njoku, but he is based right here in the awesome mega city of Lagos, the commercial capital of Nigeria that really never sleeps. And he is a native of Lagos Island.

"It has taken us 18 months to develop and launch Dobox," he told me as we chatted in the company of my partners, Meg Masha, Programme Manager of my recently launched Screen Naija One Village, One Cinema Project and Hope Obioma Opara, the President of the annual Eko International Film Festival I founded four years ago.

Dobox is offering more to Nollywood than Iroko TV, because every producer or content provider gets 40% of the revenues made from every movie viewed, rented or downloaded on Dobox and it cannot be pirated. And the advantage of Dobox is the availability of both Nigerian content and productions from all over the world.

Seeing is believing if you have comments and questions.
See Dobox first on https://dobox.tv/

Re: Gafar Williams' Dobox Is Africa's Netflix And Not Iroko TV by splashbaby(m): 8:11pm On Jul 07, 2013
Good Idea...but should the Op attack Irokotv this way to succeed?...Not a good idea!
Re: Gafar Williams' Dobox Is Africa's Netflix And Not Iroko TV by Orikinla(m): 8:14pm On Jul 07, 2013
splashbaby: Good Idea...but should the Op attack Irokotv this way to succeed?...Not a good idea!
Just stating the facts and I have no apologies for being honest.

The scarcity of quality in Nollywood movies can be irritating. And we should separate the best from the worst if we really want to make Nollywood world class film industry beyond Idumota, Alaba and Iweka.
Re: Gafar Williams' Dobox Is Africa's Netflix And Not Iroko TV by splashbaby(m): 8:33pm On Jul 07, 2013
Orikinla:
Just stating the facts and I have no apologies for being honest.

The scarcity of quality in Nollywood movies can be irritating. And we should separate the best from the worst if we really want to make Nollywood world class film industry beyond Idumota, Alaba and Iweka.
I agree with you! You can still state your facts without running any brand aground...you end up promoting Irokotv as well!
Re: Gafar Williams' Dobox Is Africa's Netflix And Not Iroko TV by Leopantro: 11:47pm On Jul 07, 2013
since you have no apologies for being honest then listen to the tale I tell

I'm not a fan of Nigerian home videos but reading how you attacked iroko, I decided to check yours out. on the website I saw you had an android app and that got my interest. I could be wrong but I believe that is the first time I have come across a nollywood app that can stream. however, having used the app for a while I have some isdues.

1. Adobe air. After downloading the app you must install adobe air to use it. there are many streaming apps that don't use the application. why will I download a bloatware that I will only use for just one app. also 800kb against 9MB?

2. The app only has grid view making the menu at the left side small. yes there are lovely posters of the films for me to look at but unless I have the eyes of a hawk I can't read what's on the poster and if I want a summary of the film but dont want to click on the poster I'm stuck.

3. can only use your menu if I have fingers as small as broomsticks

4. no help intro for first time users .mainly by trial and error do you understand what the buttons are for. considering that a lot of women love watching home videos imagine them using the app for the first time. then, from your target population countries on your site, imagine people outside nigeria using the app.

5. I'm using a very fast internet service. I noticed that when I click on the music sign ( have no idea what its for) it starts playing a jerky video with the music out of sync. no matter what I do its still the same thing. I logged out and played a YouTube video. perfect streaming.

6. finally, while playing a video and you press back on the phone to go back to the previous menu, the app shuts down.

by the way, nice welcome music

2 Likes

(1) (Reply)

The Voice Nigeria / Nigerian Government Plans To Fund Nollywood / Nini Left To The Secret Room As Biggie Instructed

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 20
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.