Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,747 members, 7,824,152 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 12:52 AM

Weird Fashion Trends From History (PICTURES) - Fashion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Fashion / Weird Fashion Trends From History (PICTURES) (33816 Views)

Weird Things Some Nigerian Ladies Do Just To Have Big & Firm Boobs / Fashion Trends That Rocked 2014 / What Are The Current Nigerian Fashion Trends? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Weird Fashion Trends From History (PICTURES) by aniiii(f): 3:05am On Jul 08, 2013
Those Ponytails Stuck on the Top of Samurais' Heads

The iconic image of a Japanese warrior (or today, sumo wrestler) comes complete with a weird hairstyle in which the front of the head is shaved while the remaining mullet is bound up in a bun or topknot. The origin of this bizarre haircut, called "chonmage," goes all the way back to the age of the samurai, as it helped to keep a samurai's helmet on his head.

Since the samurai class were wealthy and influential nobility, it didn't take long for the style to catch on among the Japanese public, who longed to be sword-slinging badasses. Over time, it became traditional for boys turning 13 to shave the front of their heads and adopt the samurai hairstyle to signal that they had become men. Hair neatness was so important in Japan that artists usually employed messy hair as shorthand to represent someone who had been in some way disgraced.

The fashion was pretty widespread until globalization forced the Japanese to realize that the rest of the world found their hairstyles absolutely ridiculous -- which is a ballsy claim, considering everyone in the West was wearing powdered wigs at the time (but more on that later).

A story from 1863 recounts the adventures of two Japanese students who covered their chonmage hairstyles with hats while visiting Holland. When forced to remove the hats at the theater, they caused such an uproar of hilarity that the play had to be stopped, and the story made the national press the next day. It's just another example of a national pastime ruined by racism.

These days, the legacy of chonmage remains almost solely with sumo wrestlers, who are too fat to be bothered with your criticism of their hairstyles.

3 Likes

Re: Weird Fashion Trends From History (PICTURES) by aniiii(f): 3:18am On Jul 08, 2013
Neck Rings

In certain African and Asian cultures neck rings are worn to assist a woman’s matrimonial chances. Girls as young as two were fitted with spiraled metal coils, and these were gradually increased, some by as much as twenty turns.

The neck doesn’t elongate of course. That’s called execution by hanging and as such is not a very effective fashion trend. What happens is the weight of the collar depresses the collar bone and ribs down to a position forty five degrees below what is normal. cry

2 Likes

Re: Weird Fashion Trends From History (PICTURES) by aniiii(f): 3:19am On Jul 08, 2013
Huge, Ridiculous Powdered Wigs

The fastest way to identify a movie as a period piece is when everyone important in the film is wearing a stupid-looking wig. Kings and aristocrats, presidents, politicians and composers are always decked out in elaborate white/blond curly wigs, often adorned with plaits, ribbons and bows. In Britain and Australia, judges and barristers still wear them. So who the hell thought that was a good idea?

Blame King Louis XIII of France. The French monarchy had long suffered from a hereditary condition of embarrassing male pattern baldness, and so, tired of being mocked by the King of England, Louis wore a badass wig to show that he was the most virile king around. Before long, his unconventional style became a fashion statement in the royal court, with most of the king's men adopting the elaborate hairpieces, whether they were bald or not.

With France being the center of European culture in the 17th century, anything that was sexy in France quickly spread to the rest of Europe. As aristocrats tried to outdo one another, the wigs, called perukes or periwigs, became more and more fabulous. This led to the creation of a whole industry of wig-makers, who established their own guild in 1665. The wigs became such a part of the culture that you had to wear a wig to move upward in society. By the late 1700s, men were pouring a starch-based powder over their wigs to make them as white as possible.

The wig craze died in England when the government sensed a money-making opportunity and imposed a hefty tax on hair powder. At the same time, a minor incident in France called the French Revolution made it kind of uncool to be seen in public wearing a symbol of the aristocracy. But until then, the peruke phenomenon had been one of the most long-standing and weirdest fashion crazes in European history. All because the King of France was self-conscious about his bald spot.

3 Likes

Re: Weird Fashion Trends From History (PICTURES) by aniiii(f): 3:28am On Jul 08, 2013
That Dark Eye Makeup Egyptians Wore

The Egyptians produced so much art in their time that you can almost certainly reproduce your average Egyptian fresco from memory with a pencil and paper -- everyone in profile, standing around and staring out with one giant eyeliner-ringed eyeball.

There was a practical purpose behind the distinctive Egyptian chic. It turns out that the Egyptians' affinity for eyeliner served the same purpose as the black smears on a modern football player's cheekbones -- it helped to reduce glare from the oppressive desert sunlight.

Not only was the Egyptian desert bright enough to begin with, but as we've pointed out before, the pyramids were originally covered in a white limestone coating so that every venture outside your hut was like someone shining a spotlight directly into your eyes for 10 hours. Slapping a thick layer of black gunk around their eyes was a minor but welcome relief from the constant light assault the Egyptians were subjected to.

Also, see those little cone things on their heads? They really served as the Egyptian method for dealing with the fact that they all reeked like nothing you could imagine. The lifestyle of a desert environment comes prepackaged with the reality that most of your daily activities are going to revolve around contact with somebody else's sweat. The cones were actually composed of animal fat and perfume, which would melt during the day and produce an aroma to offset their intolerable stench.

1 Like

Re: Weird Fashion Trends From History (PICTURES) by aniiii(f): 3:41am On Jul 08, 2013
The Lip Plate Custom

The lip plate, also known as a lip plug or lip disc, is a form of body modification. Increasingly large discs (usually circular, and made from clay or wood) are inserted into a pierced hole in either the upper or lower lip, or both, thereby stretching it. The term labret denotes all kinds of pierced-lip ornaments, including plates and plugs.

In many older sources it is reported that the plate's size is a sign of social or economical importance in some tribes. However, because of natural mechanical attributes of human skin, it seems that the plate's size often just depends on the stage of stretching of the lip and the wishes of the wearer.

Many recent sources claim that, for Mursi and Surma women, the size of their lip plate indicates the number of cattle paid as the bride price.

In recent times, facial modifications are increasingly popular.

[img]http://4.bp..com/-oDYab3hCQ8w/UJ2R2yVNYAI/AAAAAAAABsg/WKGezK_vULs/s400/10815h.jpg[/img]

Re: Weird Fashion Trends From History (PICTURES) by aniiii(f): 4:42am On Jul 08, 2013
Foot Binding cry

[img]http://3.bp..com/-WtrSjN0wuI0/T5D3UpgAPTI/AAAAAAAAA-U/l1hlRUxu5Pc/s320/582px-A_HIGH_CASTE_LADYS_DAINTY_LILY_FEET.jpg[/img]

Footbinding first became fashionable China in around the eighth century and persisted for almost a thousand years. Women were literally crippled by this custom.

A noble woman in Imperial China with normal feet was practically unmarriageable. (Only peasants had normal feet, because they needed to get about in the fields and work. A real lady showed her status by staggering around in agony or having someone carry her.) cry cry cry

[img]http://3.bp..com/-NDv-BOD88kA/T5D4QBIUvgI/AAAAAAAAA-c/LN7EypBtZ-0/s320/769px-Bound_feet_%28X-ray%29.jpg[/img]

While still a small child a rich girl had her feet soaked in a bath of urine and vinegar, then all the toes except the big one were folded under the foot, and secured with tight bandages. This soaking and binding process would continue throughout the girl’s childhood, with the result that the feet never grew more than three inches long

Often this disgusting procedure led to gangrene; this was considered a good thing as the rotting toes would then fall off and cease being a nuisance! The ideal of perfection was to have hardly any foot at all.
Re: Weird Fashion Trends From History (PICTURES) by aniiii(f): 5:01am On Jul 08, 2013
Re: Weird Fashion Trends From History (PICTURES) by debbilici0us(f): 1:39pm On Jul 08, 2013
Wow shocked

1 Like

Re: Weird Fashion Trends From History (PICTURES) by aniiii(f): 2:13pm On Jul 08, 2013
I KNOW RIGHT !!!

#1 is the most shocking and intriguing of them all.

People suffered due to what was deemed aesthetic at the time cry
Re: Weird Fashion Trends From History (PICTURES) by Nobody: 3:37pm On Jul 08, 2013
But some pple dull sha o,imagine feet binding! Nd dat plate carrying lip thng?
God av mercy...weird is an understatement for all wat I jst read nd saw.

4 Likes

Re: Weird Fashion Trends From History (PICTURES) by aniiii(f): 3:44pm On Jul 08, 2013
Vickii Ro: But some pple dull sha o,imagine feet binding! Nd dat plate carrying lip thng?
God av mercy...weird is an understatement for all wat I jst read nd saw.

I tell you!

In fact, I just googled the definition of fashion once more lol

I wonder what our generations would think about our fashion sense.

I'm yet to get over the foot binding cry that must have hurt!! damn!!
Re: Weird Fashion Trends From History (PICTURES) by Nobody: 3:51pm On Jul 08, 2013
aniiii:

I tell you!

In fact, I just googled the definition of fashion once more lol

I wonder what our generations would think about our fashion sense.

I'm yet to get over the foot binding cry that must have hurt!! damn!!
Different strokes for different folks....As long as it hurts,I aint doing it even if its d latest fashion
Wetin? To look" in d now" na by force
Re: Weird Fashion Trends From History (PICTURES) by ocephraim(m): 5:50pm On Jul 08, 2013
aniiii:
However, because of natural mechanical attributes of human skin, it seems that the plate's size often just depends on the stage of stretching of the lip and the wishes of the wearer.

Many recent sources claim that, for Mursi and Surma women, the size of their lip plate indicates the number of cattle paid as the bride price.

shocked shocked shocked .... Used to tink dis lip plate stuff was sumtin sum slave trade era sh...t by em slave masters... Din knw twas fashion.. undecided undecided

the asian foot stuff s jst STUUUUPID!!!!

1 Like

Re: Weird Fashion Trends From History (PICTURES) by pocahontess(f): 6:35pm On Jul 08, 2013
cry sad Gzus!!!... foot binding cry, lip plate *faints*.
Re: Weird Fashion Trends From History (PICTURES) by aniiii(f): 7:01pm On Jul 08, 2013
ocephraim:

shocked shocked shocked .... Used to tink dis lip plate stuff was sumtin sum slave trade era sh...t by em slave masters... Din knw twas fashion.. undecided undecided

the asian foot stuff s jst STUUUUPID!!!!

we learn new things everyday smiley

ikr!! It is an extremely bizarre fashion idea.
Re: Weird Fashion Trends From History (PICTURES) by aniiii(f): 7:02pm On Jul 08, 2013
pocahontess: cry sad Gzus!!!... foot binding cry, lip plate *faints*.

embarassed All in the name of fashion !
Re: Weird Fashion Trends From History (PICTURES) by Minaak47(m): 10:35pm On Jul 08, 2013
Foot binding Dats bizarre
Neck rings Dats extremly stupid
Worst of dem all, lip plates, jeeez dats nonsence, hw d hell do dey eat undecided

1 Like

Re: Weird Fashion Trends From History (PICTURES) by aniiii(f): 12:53pm On Jul 09, 2013
lol

I think their lips are the only affected areas.

Surely, the ability to munch is still intact. grin
Re: Weird Fashion Trends From History (PICTURES) by Nobody: 1:03pm On Jul 09, 2013
Na wa oooo shocked shocked

2 Likes

Re: Weird Fashion Trends From History (PICTURES) by AbuMikey(m): 1:46pm On Jul 09, 2013
Blood of Abu Mikey!!!.......I sweri Gad if to say na this Modern era,dem nor go do me like dis oo...cos I nor go gree!! Fuccccck!!!
Re: Weird Fashion Trends From History (PICTURES) by aniiii(f): 9:33pm On Jul 09, 2013
lol i'm sure you wear male skinny jeans tongue

dat wan na punishment na grin
Re: Weird Fashion Trends From History (PICTURES) by tjskii(f): 5:18pm On Jul 10, 2013
cheesy cheesy its d lip plate thing that has me roflmao,its actually making a comebak in d modern era,dis time its called d duckface phenomenon(u kno d faces most ladies make tryin to tak a pic) cheesy cheesy

4 Likes

Re: Weird Fashion Trends From History (PICTURES) by aniiii(f): 6:59pm On Jul 10, 2013
grin grin yeh, I get you.

But, damn!! I would rather have my lips elongated than to lose my foot embarassed
Re: Weird Fashion Trends From History (PICTURES) by Nobody: 10:01pm On Jul 10, 2013
I thought this was a really cool thread when I first saw it, glad it made front page.

I just might add more, great job aniii cool

1 Like

Re: Weird Fashion Trends From History (PICTURES) by supaeagles(m): 10:03pm On Jul 10, 2013
I think the inspiration for those elongated neck rings must have come from giraffes!

1 Like

Re: Weird Fashion Trends From History (PICTURES) by Nobody: 10:05pm On Jul 10, 2013
I fuxx with the Egyptians - they were trendsetters.

However those mofos with gaddemn plates in their mouths must be waiting for manna from heaven.

Where they do that at? - fixing plates permanently in their mouths and shyte.

Those people must be from somewhere in the horn of Africa. undecided undecided

1 Like

Re: Weird Fashion Trends From History (PICTURES) by SECURITYWOMAN(f): 10:06pm On Jul 10, 2013
Is that neck for real?
Re: Weird Fashion Trends From History (PICTURES) by BUSHHUNTER: 10:07pm On Jul 10, 2013
BLIND FASHIONS mteeeeew
Re: Weird Fashion Trends From History (PICTURES) by bigx(m): 10:08pm On Jul 10, 2013
Inyanga de pain
Re: Weird Fashion Trends From History (PICTURES) by adesewa4uyahoo(f): 10:09pm On Jul 10, 2013
Haha diz one na iyonu o.....no b fashion.....
Re: Weird Fashion Trends From History (PICTURES) by theripper3: 10:10pm On Jul 10, 2013
Hmmmm, that foot binding is so gross, it would involve crushing the metatarsals. The lip plate is even nothing to talk about.

1 Like

Re: Weird Fashion Trends From History (PICTURES) by tellwsdom: 10:12pm On Jul 10, 2013
Ok, what should i do with this?? sad ...Make i begin use am go buy garri for oyingbo market??

5 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

5 Inexpensive Ways To Spice Up Your Wardrobe / Different Ways Of Rocking Your Ankara Crop Top (photos) / See Bikini Shots & Fashion Style Of Winners Of Most Beautiful Model In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.