Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,248 members, 7,818,850 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 06:39 AM

Do You Believe In Luck? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Do You Believe In Luck? (2173 Views)

Sex Destroyed Me; Took Away My Luck. I Need Help / Evolution Or Creation: Which Do You Believe? / I Do Not Believe in God (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Do You Believe In Luck? by blueiyke(m): 11:01am On May 23, 2006
As a born-again Christian,I don't believe God deals in lucks.The bible does not mention luck.Instead I think God deals in favours and blessings, and these are quite different from luck.

If you trace the word "luck",you will find out that it has it's origin from the realm of Lucifer.The devil has used it over the ages to deceive people into believing in goodluck and badluck instead of believing in God's blessings.

So as a Christian,what do you really believe?

THINK ABOUT IT.
Re: Do You Believe In Luck? by mlksbaby(f): 11:34am On May 23, 2006
blueiyke:

As a born-again Christian, I don't believe God deals in lucks.

Nor do I. Reason? Luck depends on a '50-50 bet' and has no certainty that something might turn out good for those who pursue a certain course of action. On the other hand, the Bible makes it abundantly clear in many verses that the blessings of God are predicated on certain conditions. Here's one of my fav:

Psa. 84:11 - "For the LORD God is a sun and shield: the LORD will give grace and glory: no good thing will he withhold from them that walk uprightly."

Good things from God are given to those who walk uprightly, and that's a certain condition for His favours and blessings, rather than a 'pot/stroke of luck'. I'll close with another fav verse:

Rom. 8:28 - "And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose."
Re: Do You Believe In Luck? by dominobaby(f): 11:44am On May 23, 2006
I sure don't believe in luck, and i don't expect any bible believing xtian to believe in it. Luck isn't biblical. Its a 50-50 probability of anything happening.
I used to say 'good luck in ur exams' but its changed to 'good success'.
Re: Do You Believe In Luck? by blueiyke(m): 11:49am On May 23, 2006
@ dominobaby

I used to wish people "Goodluck" too.But on getting born-again,it changed to "Success", "God's Favour" or plain old "God bless you".
Re: Do You Believe In Luck? by dominobaby(f): 1:51pm On May 23, 2006
Yeah blueiyke. Thats what i mean, even when people say so to me, i tell 'no, i don't want luck, i want good success, His favour, etc, '
Re: Do You Believe In Luck? by donnie(m): 7:19pm On May 23, 2006
There is no such thing as luck.
Re: Do You Believe In Luck? by exu(m): 9:24pm On May 23, 2006
How's about this luck.

A guy I went to school with- happened to be a committed Christian and genuinely nice guy recently lost his girlfriend and the use of his legs in a car crash that wasn't his fault.

As for me: I often drive above the speed limit without wearing a seatbelt, with a ladyfriend by my side. Needless to say I've never been in an accident.

I guess God really gets off on 'blessing' (i.e. not tormenting) those who do not believe he exists.
Re: Do You Believe In Luck? by mlksbaby(f): 9:46pm On May 23, 2006
@exu,

And your point is? You haven't read here that Christians are inclined to luck, have you? Even so, good and bad things happen to believers and non-believers alike, and I know of many unbelievers who have suffered worse things than the loss of their limbs; so your point is mute if you're trying to be cynical. Question is: Do You Believe in Luck? If you don't, that's great, and there's no need for you to be sounding sly. If, however, you do believe in luck, that's equally great - and I don't need to remind you that as long as you mentioned God, Jesus said it's better that one loses a body part and enter into life than to have the whole body intact and be cast into hell (Matt. 5:30).
Re: Do You Believe In Luck? by exu(m): 9:53pm On May 23, 2006
My point is that people such as yourself continue to blindly follow (and then teach) a message which does not stand up favourably to everyday events.

I believe you attempted to make a similar point about my claim that religious societies are (very often) dysfunctional societies.
Re: Do You Believe In Luck? by mlksbaby(f): 10:03pm On May 23, 2006
@exu,

Read me well before you divulge your personal feelings on any issue. You can't state that I continue to blindly follow (and then teach) a message which does not stand up favourably to everyday events - if you know what those events are in the lives of so many rather than just your limited perception.

The claim was yours - "that religious societies are (very often) dysfunctional societies" - and that's not true. If there's any shred of objectivity in that myopic and biased claim, it means you're very conveniently ignoring the fact that non-religious societies are as equally dysfunctional. And I've given you a few examples to consider, which shouldn't make you sulk as to bring up the issue here.
Re: Do You Believe In Luck? by exu(m): 10:07pm On May 23, 2006
[B]non-religious societies are as equally dysfunctional.[/B]

Not true.

Find me a set of data (make some up, if you will) to prove this.
Re: Do You Believe In Luck? by mlksbaby(f): 10:13pm On May 23, 2006
Not true, you say? I'm not given to making up data and stories like the ones you ferret with one eye closed. I've given you clear examples in the relevant thread about that; what did you do with them? And if you're still not satisfied, could you please explain to me why most European youths who don't have any religious claims are the ones we read of in Germany and Russia killing blacks and Asians with racist hatred in broad daylight?
Re: Do You Believe In Luck? by exu(m): 10:15pm On May 23, 2006
I think we should continue this discussion in the relevant thread.
Re: Do You Believe In Luck? by mlksbaby(f): 10:16pm On May 23, 2006
Re: Do You Believe In Luck? by KAG: 11:24pm On May 23, 2006
mlks_baby:

And if you're still not satisfied, could you please explain to me why most European youths who don't have any religious claims are the ones we read of in Germany and Russia killing blacks and Asians with racist hatred in broad daylight?

Actually nothing is known of their religious affilations, also many of the Nazi and racist persuasion in those countries are, from what I understand (and from brief exposures to them online), usually either christians, or pagans (not pagan as in non-religious).
Re: Do You Believe In Luck? by mlksbaby(f): 11:39pm On May 23, 2006
@KAG,

It may so be, but there's nothing to suggest their religious affiliations, as you rightly said. Just brief exposure to them online does not really establish their religious affiliations.
Re: Do You Believe In Luck? by KAG: 12:05am On May 24, 2006
mlks_baby:

@KAG,

It may so be, but there's nothing to suggest their religious affiliations, as you rightly said. Just brief exposure to them online does not really establish their religious affiliations.

They are usually vocal about their religious beliefs, and even when not vocal, they do tend to mention or sig what kind of beliefs they have. Also, there's the fact their countries are mostly religious too. Not that I agree with Exu though.
Re: Do You Believe In Luck? by mlksbaby(f): 12:28am On May 24, 2006
Ok, I see your point. Incidentally, I know of a few who hold no religious beliefs whatsoever who fall into that group.
Re: Do You Believe In Luck? by blueiyke(m): 6:11pm On May 26, 2006
Quite interesting views.But I still maintain that the Almighty God,who made heaven and earth, does not work with luck,be it good-luck or bad-luck.
Re: Do You Believe In Luck? by Nosu(m): 4:57pm On May 27, 2006
l don't believe in luck , l believe in favour and mercy because nothing happen without the permission Of the almighty God.it is not he that willth nor he that runth, it is God that showth mercy. so instead of telling people Goodluck, l tell them 'best of God' because it is God that showth mercy.if the horse is prepare for the day of battle safety is of the Lord.
Re: Do You Believe In Luck? by donnie(m): 11:52am On May 29, 2006
exu:

How's about this luck.

A guy I went to school with- happened to be a committed Christian and genuinely nice guy recently lost his girlfriend and the use of his legs in a car crash that wasn't his fault.

As for me: I often drive above the speed limit without wearing a seatbelt, with a ladyfriend by my side. Needless to say I've never been in an accident.

I guess God really gets off on 'blessing' (i.e. not tormenting) those who do not believe he exists.

yeah your right. How about my dogs that have not fallen sick in years. They have never been accident victims.

God allows his rain to fall on both the wicked and the saints. A time will come when the wheat will be seperated from the weeds. The weeds will be gathered together and burnt up.
Re: Do You Believe In Luck? by blueiyke(m): 3:49pm On May 31, 2006
Word, Donnie!
True talk there.
Re: Do You Believe In Luck? by exu(m): 7:07pm On May 31, 2006
yeah your right. How about my dogs that have not fallen sick in years. They have never been accident victims.

God allows his rain to fall on both the wicked and the saints. A time will come when the wheat will be seperated from the weeds. The weeds will be gathered together and burnt up.

That sounds a lot like 'luck' to me.
Re: Do You Believe In Luck? by blueiyke(m): 1:41pm On Jun 01, 2006
@ exu
What's your definition of "luck"?
Re: Do You Believe In Luck? by exu(m): 2:12pm On Jun 01, 2006
To gain success or something desirable by chance.

Something difficult/impossible to avoid or cause (by deeds).
Re: Do You Believe In Luck? by Eeyore(m): 2:00pm On Jun 15, 2006
No, I don't believe in luck.I believe in destiny, though.
Re: Do You Believe In Luck? by kolaoloye(m): 9:51am On Feb 17, 2009
There is nothing like luck anywhere.
There is no way a person would live without good and evil happenings.They are natural.
Re: Do You Believe In Luck? by WarfyBoy(m): 12:51am On Feb 18, 2009
I BELIEVE IN GRACE the Grace of God is enuf for me
Re: Do You Believe In Luck? by khanye(m): 1:41pm On Feb 19, 2009
luck & grace walks hand in hand.
Re: Do You Believe In Luck? by AdamBrody1(m): 2:17pm On Feb 19, 2009
Luck all the way!

Prayers are for religious fundamentalist delusional fools!

I am still waiting for prayers to cure the one legged man with no arms that parades sabo yaba begging for help to be cured with full limbs and arms grin
Re: Do You Believe In Luck? by ticktick: 2:26pm On Feb 19, 2009
I believe in the blessing of God and the good things of life but some good things of life which you dont expect or deserve(favour) are termed as luck even I sometimes term favour as luck depending on the circumstances it came.
Re: Do You Believe In Luck? by benedictac(f): 2:31pm On Feb 19, 2009
there is nothing like luck in the bible but favours. so i dont believe in luck but favours of God.

(1) (2) (Reply)

There Is No Such Thing As Death / The bible and soul travelling / Rapture Has Taken Place!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.