Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,747 members, 7,824,149 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 12:48 AM

Five Years After, BRT Degenerates Into Molue - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Five Years After, BRT Degenerates Into Molue (2078 Views)

BREAKING NEWS : House Plenary Session Degenerates Into Fist-cuff (PHOTO) / Jonathan Govt Incurs N5trn Domestic Debt In Five Years / "degenerates Pound Our Polity Polluted" By Chidi Anthony Opara (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Five Years After, BRT Degenerates Into Molue by anonimi: 10:10am On Jul 08, 2013

THE pomp and ecstasy that heralded the arrival of the popular Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) System five years ago in Lagos is fast dying away as most buses on the system have basically become molue- Nigeria's slang for rickety and sullied big buses.

The BRT is an intra-city public transport initiative instituted by the then Governor Bola Tinubu of Lagos State in 2007, but actuallised by Governor Babatunde Fashola-led administration in 2008 to alleviate challenges of Lagos heavy traffic jams, bus scarcity among others.

The system, which is currently managed by National Union of Road Transport Workers (NURTW) in partnership with the Lagos State Government, goes from Mile-12 through Ikorodu Road and Funsho Williams Avenue up to TBS.

When it started, some elites abandoned their cars at home for the buses that were seen to be cheap, fast and comfortable. But five years down the line, such qualities have not only disappeared but some of the rich who used to romance the system have abandoned it for their personal cars, thereby swelling up the Lagos terrible traffic jam.

When The Guardian visited Mile-12 to TBS route of the buses on two different occasions recently, different levels of BRT's degradation was highly revealed. While some of the buses appeared mangled and damaged, others simply exhibited a condition of buses that needed urgent replacements.

A high number of the seats were seen damaged with just the irons that once held down the seats dangerously left behind by the managers of the transport system. Some of the broken seats were wedged with big stones. A female passenger got seriously injured on her wrist by a bad seat in one of the buses.

While some of the buses dangerously go on with just one side mirror, others simply ply the road with broken side mirrors. Knobs, which were once used by passengers to indicate their bus stops have been destroyed, forcing passengers to shout owa on top of their voices, to indicate their bus stops- a scenario quite common in privately owned molues.

Most of the buses either have broken doors or doors that cannot be closed, a situation that encourage some passengers to hang on doorways in busy periods, a typical scenario that often play out in molues.

When the system was compared with some other privately owned molues along Ikorodu-Mile-2 axis, some of the privately owned ones appeared neater and comfortable than the BRT.

The system also looked not well managed as tens of passengers waiting for the system on their way going to the Island were seen stranded for more than 30 minutes at Ketu, experience also repeated by those seeking the service of the buses at both TBS and Fadeyi en route to Mile-12, especially in the evenings.

A passenger, who simply gave his name as Taofik, told The Guardian that passengers most times face delays from the buses mostly during rush-hours.

" I have been here (Ketu bus stop) for more than 30 minutes now. I am not likely going to get a bus soon because, as I learnt, the drivers are on break. The question I keep asking: is it right that every driver should go on break at the same time? I think something needed to be done," Taofik said.

When The Guardian visited BRT office at Ketu, about 15 buses under the system were seen abandoned in a bushy yard.

The only good thing that has differentiated the system from other molues has been absence of bus hawkers, mobile preachers and beggars, who are common in privately owned big buses.

Public Relations Officer (PRO), BRT Cooperative, Nonye Uwumere, told The Guardian that she could not comment on the sorry state of the system, adding that it was not in her power to do that. " You people do not see anything good in BRT system," Uwumere said. "As for the molue thing, I do not have answer to that; I am not authorised to speak on it,"she added.

Guardian

"Exemplary, progressive" leaders who cannot manage the provision of good bus transport system for 10 million people are jostling to take charge of the whole country
SMH!!!

3 Likes

Re: Five Years After, BRT Degenerates Into Molue by ckkris: 10:22am On Jul 08, 2013
Just like Amechi in Rivers. Fashola abandons his charge, to save money to remove President Jonathan. When people petition EFCC they will say its witch hunting .

5 Likes

Re: Five Years After, BRT Degenerates Into Molue by IGBOSON1: 11:10am On Jul 08, 2013
Lack of maintenance is a nationwide problem, and i've noticed it everywhere......it's so annoying. Projects are launched with so much fanfare and backslapping; and after the red tape is cut and the media cameras and invited guests have left, the rot begins apace.
Re: Five Years After, BRT Degenerates Into Molue by pistol: 11:12am On Jul 08, 2013
We Nigerians generally lack maintenance culture.
It cut across all strata of our national life,
Regardless of which party inclination and ideology you subscribe to.
I bet u,
It is just a question of time before all these remodeled airports becomes a shambolic relic.
We don't build on the progress made.
Every thing is done on an Adhoc basis.
God please deliver us from this deadly gene mutant.
Re: Five Years After, BRT Degenerates Into Molue by Nobody: 11:14am On Jul 08, 2013
@OP, thanks for bringing up this issue of BRT. These are the same clowns that tell us except the train services are perfect, they would have none of it. The lack of maintenance and the negative attitude towards public infrastructure is Nigerian syndrome and we must all take responsibility and make amends.

9 Likes

Re: Five Years After, BRT Degenerates Into Molue by ikeyman00(m): 11:20am On Jul 08, 2013
@@@

are we surprised?

this is what u get from people that talk from both side of the mouth SAD

wat a country

yes ooo lagos carry goooooooooooo
Re: Five Years After, BRT Degenerates Into Molue by idumuose(m): 11:21am On Jul 08, 2013
If Apc(arab peoples congress)cannot manage Lagos effectively,
how can they manage Nigeria as a country.See,Fashola isn't
totally in charge of Lagos.Tinubu is the person putting clog in
the wheel of progress of lagos.Lack of good management and main-
tenance culture is the bane of our leaders

1 Like

Re: Five Years After, BRT Degenerates Into Molue by hardknockbroda(m): 11:35am On Jul 08, 2013
I think most of the blame should go to the NURTW.

The LASG thru LAMATA is just a regulator I.e they provide they provide and maintain d bus routes,bus terminals,bus sheds e.t.c while d operators (in this case NURTW) provide the buses and are responsible for maintaining dem tho the Lagos state government should find a way to enforce them but then again must we always be forced to do the right thing..

NB: Most of the buses managed by LAGBUS Asset management company (Red buses) are better maintained and are in better working condition than the BRT (Blue buses) managed by NURTW.
Re: Five Years After, BRT Degenerates Into Molue by awodman: 11:39am On Jul 08, 2013
hardknockbroda: I think most of the blame should go to the NURTW.

The LASG thru LAMATA is just a regulator I.e they provide they provide and maintain d bus routes,bus terminals,bus sheds e.t.c while d operators (in this case NURTW) provide the buses and are responsible for maintaining dem tho the Lagos state government should find a way to enforce them but then again must we always be forced to do the right thing..

NB: Most of the buses managed by LAGBUS Asset management company (Red buses) are better maintained and are in better working condition than the BRT (Blue buses) managed by NURTW.
Lol..so you passing the blame now??

4 Likes

Re: Five Years After, BRT Degenerates Into Molue by Standing5(m): 11:47am On Jul 08, 2013
How about Uduaghan's Mass Transit? There is no specific standard for these buses as far Naija is concerned, if you doubt me, you compare BRT to private owned public transport vehicle. BTW, Pictures will explain the situation far better.
Re: Five Years After, BRT Degenerates Into Molue by Nobody: 12:08pm On Jul 08, 2013
Lack of maintenance culture is the bane of our society.
Re: Five Years After, BRT Degenerates Into Molue by homesteady(m): 12:13pm On Jul 08, 2013
Eko Ni Baje Oh!!

But jokes aside!! It's a general problem in Nigeria!!
But come on!! APC is meant to be different!!
Re: Five Years After, BRT Degenerates Into Molue by hardknockbroda(m): 12:16pm On Jul 08, 2013
We need to improve on our maintenance culture as Nigerians, the "I don't care" atitude must stop if we really want to move forward as a nation.

1 Like

Re: Five Years After, BRT Degenerates Into Molue by anonimi: 12:21pm On Jul 08, 2013
hardknockbroda: I think most of the blame should go to the NURTW.

What % is the most that "should go to the NURTW"-60, 75, 90
And what balance % should go to LASG administration of do-no-wrong Eko o ni baje Fashola, SAN?
Where do you think the buck stops as far as Lagos state is concerned?

1 Like

Re: Five Years After, BRT Degenerates Into Molue by ckkris: 1:19pm On Jul 08, 2013
homesteady: Eko ti Baje Oh!!

Re: Five Years After, BRT Degenerates Into Molue by Aderostock(m): 1:39pm On Jul 08, 2013
I know you as a paid agent for PDP. maybe you should read this unlike your fisherman president who surround himself with incompetent fools.

Kayode Opeifa, Commissioner for Transportation, disclosed this on Friday in Ikeja at a news briefing organised to mark Governor Babatunde Fashola`s sixth year in office. He described the feat as unprecedented, adding that it was achieved by the deployment of an additional 364 buses across the different BRT routes.
The commissioner said the state government
had licenced more franchisees to operate buses
on new routes, to improve commuters' access
to the BRT system.
On the problem of rickety buses, Mr. Opeifa
said the government had finalised arrangements
with the operators, to re-fleet and get the required spare-parts for the faulty ones. "The government is also monitoring franchisees to ensure that they operate within our regulatory framework.
"Three erring operators have been sanctioned,
while some others are being questioned on
various issues," he said.

http://m.naij.com/news/33777.html

2 Likes

Re: Five Years After, BRT Degenerates Into Molue by hardknockbroda(m): 2:10pm On Jul 08, 2013
anonimi:

What % is the most that "should go to the NURTW"-60, 75, 90
And what balance % should go to LASG administration of do-no-wrong Eko o ni baje Fashola, SAN?
Where do you think the buck stops as far as Lagos state is concerned?

When it comes to maintenance and setting standards, the NURTW are rated very poor, just visit major motor parks in lagos and see for urself.

Even the FGs brand new pallative buses (also maintained. By NURTW & RTEAN) that were launched just over a year ago,most of them are even in worse conditions than the BRT buses.

The LASG should force the NURTW to maintain these buses and sanction them if they don't (hopefully it won't lead to a strike)

You will agree with me that the Red buses managed by LAGBUS are in better condition than the BRT buses.

3 Likes

Re: Five Years After, BRT Degenerates Into Molue by Symphony007: 2:45pm On Jul 08, 2013
ckkris: Just like Amechi in Rivers. Fashola abandons his charge, to save money to remove President Jonathan. When people petition EFCC they will say its witch hunting .
rubbish! Is fashola is mechanic that takes care of buses. This problem was something i said right from time and myopism by fashola. Public buses that run on fuel or diesel don't last long, lagos should have imported the natural gas buses used in califonia. We flare gas in this country. Those buses have a ligespan of 30 years because gas is so clean. The engine will remain new.

And watch your mouth. Everything built by the maeachi administration in rivers state has remain new and in good shape. The only exception being the bus stop shades which touts have destroyed.
Re: Five Years After, BRT Degenerates Into Molue by jmaine: 3:01pm On Jul 08, 2013
Symphony007: rubbish! Is fashola is mechanic that takes care of buses. This problem was something i said right from time and myopism by fashola. Public buses that run on fuel or diesel don't last long, lagos should have imported the natural gas buses used in califonia. We flare gas in this country. Those buses have a ligespan of 30 years because gas is so clean. The engine will remain new.

In your bid to attack any anti Amaechi post, you usually lose focus most times while on a rant

What has natural gas which is just another fuel source (albeit cleaner ) ,got to do deal with the seeming decay of the laudable Lagos BRT system this article is hinged on . .

A high number of the seats were seen damaged with just the irons that once held down the seats dangerously left behind by the managers of the transport system. Some of the broken seats were wedged with big stones. A female passenger got seriously injured on her wrist by a bad seat in one of the buses.

While some of the buses dangerously go on with just one side mirror, others simply ply the road with broken side mirrors. Knobs, which were once used by passengers to indicate their bus stops have been destroyed, forcing passengers to shout owa on top of their voices, to indicate their bus stops- a scenario quite common in privately owned molues.

Most of the buses either have broken doors or doors that cannot be closed, a situation that encourage some passengers to hang on doorways in busy periods, a typical scenario that often play out in molues.

You need to chill before you engage in any anti Amaechi post attack. . .
Re: Five Years After, BRT Degenerates Into Molue by Symphony007: 3:20pm On Jul 08, 2013
jmaine:

In your bid to attack any anti Amaechi post, you usually lose focus most times while on a rant

What has natural gas which is just another fuel source (albeit cleaner ) ,got to do deal with the seeming decay of the laudable Lagos BRT system this article is hinged on . .

You need to chill before you engage in any anti Amaechi post attack. . .
why do you thing i said fashola is not a mechanic? Do you expect him to be taking care of the buses as governor? Why do you think i called fashola myopic? Because he did not put adequate machinery in place to take care of the buses. He should take a cue from ameachi. About 5 years after ameachi's schools and hospitals were built, they are still brand new because the government is not reponsible for it's maintenace. An independent board is reponsible, funded partly and supervised by the government. Understand and assimilate comments before attacking them.
Re: Five Years After, BRT Degenerates Into Molue by jmaine: 3:40pm On Jul 08, 2013
Symphony007: why do you thing i said fashola is not a mechanic? Do you expect him to be taking care of the buses as governor? Why do you think i called fashola myopic? Because he did not put adequate machinery in place to take care of the buses. He should take a cue from ameachi. About 5 years after ameachi's schools and hospitals were built, they are still brand new because the government is not reponsible for it's maintenace. An independent board is reponsible, funded partly and supervised by the government. Understand and assimilate comments before attacking them.

I understood your post very transparently bruv, you Amaechi "rebuttal" referencing did not capture my grouse with your post,hinged on your preference for the long lasting gas powered transit busses utilized in Canada

Let me highlight what i focussed on in your post. . .

Symphony007: This problem was something i said right from time and myopism by fashola. Public buses that run on fuel or diesel don't last long, lagos should have imported the natural gas buses used in califonia. We flare gas in this country. Those buses have a ligespan of 30 years because gas is so clean. The engine will remain new.

We were talking about the decaying BRT system and you brought in the angle of the myopism of Fashola not importing gas powered buses which has a life span of 30 years unlike the current petrol/diesel powered busses currently suffering due to poor maintainance .

(1) (2) (Reply)

A Nairalander's Mum With OBJ. / Gov. Uduaghan Vs Gov. T. A. Orji - Who Is Better? / Abandoned Bridge Project In Badagry (pictures)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.