Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,427 members, 7,819,554 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 06:01 PM

Nigeria A Nation Divided! Shocking data supporting the division. - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Nigeria A Nation Divided! Shocking data supporting the division. (3720 Views)

CCT Trial: APC Leaders Divided Over Saraki / Senators Not Divided Over Amaechi – Anyanwu / Facts Supporting The Death Of Abubakar Shekau In Konduga (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nigeria A Nation Divided! Shocking data supporting the division. by ujoinme: 5:09pm On Jul 08, 2013
Nigeria: A nation divided
Nigeria should be Africa's powerhouse - it is the continent's biggest oil producer and most populous country. But after decades of poor governance, most of its 160 million people are still mired in poverty.

They are also divided along many lines - ethnic, religious, economic and political - and sometimes these tensions boil over into violence. Explore these maps to discover more.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-16510922
Re: Nigeria A Nation Divided! Shocking data supporting the division. by ujoinme: 5:10pm On Jul 08, 2013
ethnic divide

Re: Nigeria A Nation Divided! Shocking data supporting the division. by ujoinme: 5:12pm On Jul 08, 2013
wealth division

Re: Nigeria A Nation Divided! Shocking data supporting the division. by ujoinme: 5:13pm On Jul 08, 2013
literacy divide

Re: Nigeria A Nation Divided! Shocking data supporting the division. by ujoinme: 5:13pm On Jul 08, 2013
health care divide

Re: Nigeria A Nation Divided! Shocking data supporting the division. by ujoinme: 5:14pm On Jul 08, 2013
oil and gas divide

Re: Nigeria A Nation Divided! Shocking data supporting the division. by ujoinme: 5:17pm On Jul 08, 2013
country people with the above stated division across board in this nation, Is there hope for the entity nigeria?
Am tiered of hearing every news about the potentials of Nigeria, when will we realize our potentials?
what do you guys think?
Re: Nigeria A Nation Divided! Shocking data supporting the division. by homerac7: 6:32pm On Jul 08, 2013
what I think for sure is that your demographic maps are incorrect. it is sad that a Nigerian is using map drawn by an "Ulrich" on Nigerian forum. How can a German know you better than yourself? Well...I have travelled fairly wide around Nigerian, and I know that all the maps (maybe except the oil pipeline routes which i am not sure of) are highly inaccurate.

So son, get a more accurate map, or data representation (not from BBC pleeeeease!), then you can have meaningful and unbiased analyses.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria A Nation Divided! Shocking data supporting the division. by solomon111(m): 6:37pm On Jul 08, 2013
OP,your maps are riddled with errors.
Re: Nigeria A Nation Divided! Shocking data supporting the division. by ujoinme: 1:22pm On Jul 09, 2013
solomon111: OP,your maps are riddled with errors.
can you point out the errors?
Re: Nigeria A Nation Divided! Shocking data supporting the division. by Abagworo(m): 1:35pm On Jul 09, 2013
ujoinme:
can you point out the errors?

This is a very close to accurate assessment by these Oyibos. The North is really trailing.
Re: Nigeria A Nation Divided! Shocking data supporting the division. by launique: 2:46pm On Jul 09, 2013
How can the GDP of Igbo states be that low? These maps are based on hear-say
Re: Nigeria A Nation Divided! Shocking data supporting the division. by passion007: 3:02pm On Jul 09, 2013
homerac7: what I think for sure is that your demographic maps are incorrect. it is sad that a Nigerian is using map drawn by an "Ulrich" on Nigerian forum. How can a German know you better than yourself? Well...I have travelled fairly wide around Nigerian, and I know that all the maps (maybe except the oil pipeline routes which i am not sure of) are highly inaccurate.

So son, get a more accurate map, or data representation (not from BBC pleeeeease!), then you can have meaningful and unbiased analyses.
There may be specific inaccuracies in the data, but, regardless the OP's argument is unassailable: We are just too annoyingly divided; We are like the antithesis of the United States. May be we should be called the Three Nigerias in Nigeria.
Re: Nigeria A Nation Divided! Shocking data supporting the division. by sexkilzaphull: 3:11pm On Jul 09, 2013
ujoinme: country people with the above stated division across board in this nation, Is there hope for the entity nigeria?
Am tiered of hearing every news about the potentials of Nigeria, when will we realize our potentials?
what do you guys think?

Stop screaming all around the place! If you really care about a reversal of the dire circumstances, elect credible and better leaders at the national level. Fashola of the now APC is doing really well, ensure he is elected. Buhari is known to be one of the most incorruptible military leaders, if he shows interest support and vote for him. If you keep voting your clueless retardeenic government, then enjoy your fresh air only that it only gets worse for you guys. I will be here laughing at your collective stupi.dity when you vote again along tribal and religious lines but not for performance and records of achievement!
Re: Nigeria A Nation Divided! Shocking data supporting the division. by sexkilzaphull: 3:12pm On Jul 09, 2013
la_unique: How can the GDP of Igbo states be that low? These maps are based on hear-say

Why go tribal? That GDP is not surprising to a lot of people, including me. If you have a different set of facts, then post it!
Re: Nigeria A Nation Divided! Shocking data supporting the division. by ochukoccna: 4:08pm On Jul 09, 2013
OP,as some have pointed out
This maps are NOT a true representation of what is on ground in some areas
For example, how and when did the Ijaw SUDDENLY become 10% of Nigeria's population? embarassed sad
OVERNIGHT? undecided
This looks like revisionism to me
They are a minority in Delta and Ondo states apart from Bayelsa shocked
Bayelsa is not up to 2 million folks so how them come reach 10% of we population for 9ja? shocked
How do they add up to 16 million or 20 million of Nigeria's population (depending on which figures you use)?
A thread to to counter this their claim is on NL BTW
Like I said,this is revisionism
Re: Nigeria A Nation Divided! Shocking data supporting the division. by adconline(m): 4:34pm On Jul 09, 2013
homerac7: what I think for sure is that your demographic maps are incorrect. it is sad that a Nigerian is using map drawn by an "Ulrich" on Nigerian forum. How can a German know you better than yourself? Well...I have travelled fairly wide around Nigerian, and I know that all the maps (maybe except the oil pipeline routes which i am not sure of) are highly inaccurate.

Naija's foolish way of rebutting or denying FACTS. I don't believe in your data, Fine! Show us your goddamn own peer-reviewed data!! You have nothing. Saying I don't believe does not win argument, facts and figures do. you should be embarrassed that foreigners have a better metric for measuring Naija socio-economic growth/retrogress and Naija does not have anything.
Re: Nigeria A Nation Divided! Shocking data supporting the division. by ujoinme: 4:52pm On Jul 09, 2013
se.xkilza.phull:

Stop screaming all around the place! If you really care about a reversal of the dire circumstances, elect credible and better leaders at the national level. Fashola of the now APC is doing really well, ensure he is elected. Buhari is known to be one of the most incorruptible military leaders, if he shows interest support and vote for him. If you keep voting your clueless retardeenic government, then enjoy your fresh air only that it only gets worse for you guys. I will be here laughing at your collective stupi.dity when you vote again along tribal and religious lines but not for performance and records of achievement!

and when you cast ur vote for fashola + buhari it will not be borne of ethnic consideration?
As far as we can tell every governor + politician claims to be the best in meeting the needs of their constituent, fashola + buhari are entitled to claim how good they are,but as far as nigeria is concerned its just a claim.

FYI there are folks in this forum that claim that Abacha of all people was the best leader nigeria has ever had.

1 Like

Re: Nigeria A Nation Divided! Shocking data supporting the division. by ujoinme: 4:54pm On Jul 09, 2013
ochukoccna: OP,as some have pointed out
This maps are NOT a true representation of what is on ground in some areas
For example, how and when did the Ijaw SUDDENLY become 10% of Nigeria's population? embarassed sad
OVERNIGHT? undecided
This looks like revisionism to me
They are a minority in Delta and Ondo states apart from Bayelsa shocked
Bayelsa is not up to 2 million folks so how them come reach 10% of we population for 9ja? shocked
How do they add up to 16 million or 20 million of Nigeria's population (depending on which figures you use)?
A thread to to counter this their claim is on NL BTW
Like I said,this is revisionism

The ijaws are part of the landscape of all the coastal areas of nigeria so its easy to see how they can be that many.
Re: Nigeria A Nation Divided! Shocking data supporting the division. by ujoinme: 5:04pm On Jul 09, 2013

those are not my data neither are they BBC data, if you look at the footnote of all those maps, you will find their sources. You are welcome to research those sources and challenge their studies, if you don't agree.

BTW the issue is are we divided as a nation or not?
Re: Nigeria A Nation Divided! Shocking data supporting the division. by homerac7: 5:04pm On Jul 09, 2013
adconline:
Naija's foolish way of rebutting or denying FACTS. I don't believe in your data, Fine! Show us your goddamn own peer-reviewed data!! You have nothing. Saying I don't believe does not win argument, facts and figures do. you should be embarrassed that foreigners have a better metric for measuring Naija socio-economic growth/retrogress and Naija does not have anything.

^^^

You are typical example of foolishness that's borne out of crass ignorance. You have access to internet but it has not benefited your education, no thanks to Nairaland, Facebook, 2go and Badoo. You glory in being able to read and write and yet wait for me to give reasons why a clearly flawed data on YOUR OWN country and people, aren't you unfortunate?

oK, I will oblige you by pointing out one typical flaw in each of the maps to prove how stupeed you are not to make those simple observations.

Map 1: Most of the areas covered are not Hausa/Fulani land. They comprise over 200 different other ethnicities.

Map 2: GDP is incorrect measure of wealth in this case, HDI and/or GNI will be more relevant.

Map 3: How is Yobe state (that just has 2/400 pass score point in National Common Entrance and one of the worst educationally disadvantaged states) at par with Ogun state educationalwise?

Map 4: Extremely most of the primary health care immunization challenges are in the northern states, not south. Cases in South are rare and isolated.

Mind you, I have been to most of those regions and seen tons of reports on these basic issues. I could go on and show many more inaccuracies, but that will be flogging a dead horse.

Now you see how very unfortunate you are to sit your ignorant butt here and wait for a German to tell you who you are? ...STUPEED EEDIOT!
Re: Nigeria A Nation Divided! Shocking data supporting the division. by ujoinme: 5:09pm On Jul 09, 2013
homerac7:

^^^

You are typical example of foolishness that's borne out of crass ignorance. You have access to internet but it has not benefited your education, no thanks to Nairaland, Facebook, 2go and Badoo. You glory in being able to read and write and yet wait for me to give reasons why a clearly flawed data on YOUR OWN country and people, aren't you unfortunate?

oK,

the literacy and health survey data were mined from nigerian sources.
Re: Nigeria A Nation Divided! Shocking data supporting the division. by passion007: 6:18pm On Jul 09, 2013
homerac7:

^^^

oK, I will oblige you by pointing out one typical flaw in each of the maps to prove how stupeed you are not to make those simple observations.

Map 1: Most of the areas covered are not Hausa/Fulani land. They comprise over 200 different other ethnicities.

Map 2: GDP is incorrect measure of wealth in this case, HDI and/or GNI will be more relevant.

Map 3: How is Yobe state (that just has 2/400 pass score point in National Common Entrance and one of the worst educationally disadvantaged states) at par with Ogun state educationalwise?

Map 4: Extremely most of the primary health care immunization challenges are in the northern states, not south. Cases in South are rare and isolated.

Mind you, I have been to most of those regions and seen tons of reports on these basic issues. I could go on and show many more inaccuracies, but that will be flogging a dead horse.

Now you see how very unfortunate you are to sit your ignorant butt here and wait for a German to tell you who you are? ...STUPEED EEDIOT!
And we should take your word over empirical evidence, right? Besides, the researchers were specific in their evaluation. They used female literacy rate to study education, and percentage of infants with adequate immunisation to study health, and GDP to study wealth, whereas your conjecture is based on using an entirely different set of parameters: Unity Schools' cut-off, presumed 'healthcare immunisation challenges' and HDI, so you are bound to get a different result. But until your own publications are ready let's argue within the confines of the available data. But, come to think of it, that's not even the point of the thread!

1 Like

Re: Nigeria A Nation Divided! Shocking data supporting the division. by adconline(m): 6:26pm On Jul 09, 2013
homerac7:

^^^

The question is simple . Present another data/map to support your view. Literacy map Ogun is 61-80% while Yobe is 41-60%. How are these 2 figures at par?
Saying that GPD is incorrect is a bit of a stetch. HDI is UN developed and would still attract critism from Naija HDI is not the same as GDP. Equatorial Guinea has a higher GDP than S Korea, S/Korea is a world class country while E/Guinea is still poor. HDI tracks all human developments. Also on GNI, Kuwait has a higher GNI than the US - while the US is higher in terms of HDI ranking almost by 20pct point, because US is way ahead of development when compared to Kuwait. in Naija case, a state with a better GPD is most likely to have a better HDI. GNI does not do you any good because Dangote's investment -mostly is South/West will be counted toward Kano state's GNI
Re: Nigeria A Nation Divided! Shocking data supporting the division. by Nobody: 7:09pm On Jul 09, 2013
passion007: And we should take your word over empirical evidence, right? Besides, the researchers were specific in their evaluation. They used female literacy rate to study education, and percentage of infants with adequate immunisation to study health, and GDP to study wealth, whereas your conjecture is based on using an entirely different set of parameters: Unity Schools' cut-off, presumed 'healthcare immunisation challenges' and HDI, so you are bound to get a different result. But until your own publications are ready let's argue within the confines of the available data. But, come to think of it, that's not even the point of the thread!
I guess his words are right, based on GDP, abia has got more dan dat pls, dat stat is wrong.
Re: Nigeria A Nation Divided! Shocking data supporting the division. by adconline(m): 8:46pm On Jul 09, 2013
nwabekeyi: I guess his words are right, based on GDP, abia has got more dan dat pls, dat stat is wrong.
Why is Naija debate so devoid of facts/figures? Present a contrasting data for us to read. Why is this so hard to do? Why every piece of information has to come from unverifiable source? The opponent of a "fact" is the originator of his/her " idea" no reliable secondary source of information. Why does subjective/emotional experience trump researched empirical data in Naija?
Re: Nigeria A Nation Divided! Shocking data supporting the division. by ujoinme: 8:48pm On Jul 09, 2013
adconline:
Why is Naija debate so devoid of facts/figures? Present a contrasting data for us to read. Why is this so hard to do? Why every piece of information has to come from unverifiable source? The opponent of a "fact" is the originator of his/her " idea" no reliable secondary source of information. Why does subjective/emotional experience trump researched empirical data in Naija?

because its the easy way or short cut which is the preferable means of doing things in nigeria.
Re: Nigeria A Nation Divided! Shocking data supporting the division. by sexkilzaphull: 8:49pm On Jul 09, 2013
ujoinme:

and when you cast ur vote for fashola + buhari it will not be borne of ethnic consideration?
As far as we can tell every governor + politician claims to be the best in meeting the needs of their constituent, fashola + buhari are entitled to claim how good they are,but as far as nigeria is concerned its just a claim.

FYI there are folks in this forum that claim that Abacha of all people was the best leader nigeria has ever had.

Ol-boy, when I vote (if I vote, really) tribal considerations WILL NOT be a factor!

If you have any objective facts post it but answer the following questions:

1. Which State is mostly "like Nigeria" in terms of demographics and complexity?
2. Which State has the most challenging society to govern?
3. The most populous, infrastructure hog to support the teeming populace?
4. Which State has made the most progress since 1999 ALONE!?
5. Which state's economy has grown the most since 1999 ALONE?
6. Which state has shown the most vibrant, locally and internationally recognized leadership?
7. Who is the elected governor of that state?

If you have any bit of honesty, the answers are clear for not even your retardeenic governor Jonathan can boast of any achievement for a population less than 2 M since he was in government in Bayelsa. While you see nothing wrong in someone who has not achieved anything significant using the same standards of measurement, you question the guy who is acknowledged to be so far ahead of almost every other governor in virtually every aspect of leadership. If you find someone else, advice the APC or ask such a person to run and test his popularity.

Buhari's records speak for him. IBB, OBJ, Yaradua plus your retardeenic president have not found even one financial corruption case to have him answer after several years! Sure they know something clueless mouths like yours do not know. You were maybe a baby during his military stint as HOS but Nigeria has not been more disciplined since those days! While he will not be a military president, Nigeria needs a leader who can stand VERY strongly against corruption and is proven to be incorruptible, has the respect of his people and proven leadership skills. If you can find any better combination, that can garner a vote of 5 M then tell Nigerians! BTW, it is a no brainer, regardless of how you feel, elections is a game of numbers. A candidate who has the potential to help Nigeria at this time when we have become a joke internationally and a combination that can sweep the polls in the north, the South West and sway common sensical voters in the MB and SS is all that is required at this time. I have not included SE because it is the only region that would always cut off its nose to spite its face - any president is not good enough if he is not ibo, yet the only man Okorocha that appears to be doing something, anything is castigated the most by Ibos for reaching across the aisles to other parts of Nigeria. The joke is on you anyway! Look, if all the APC accomplishes is extend its rich to other states in the North, West, MB, SS, SE, etc and actually improve the lives of those states in far reaching and better ways that PDP never did, and they are able to sustain the vibrancy of their party, it's only a matter of time before Nigerians elect the party at the center. You losers can stew in your backwardness! grin grin
Re: Nigeria A Nation Divided! Shocking data supporting the division. by sexkilzaphull: 8:52pm On Jul 09, 2013
ujoinme: What will happen to the ACN goons? will they change their alliance to APC?
how about CPC? what happens to that party?

https://www.nairaland.com/1352965/all-progressive-congress-apc-nairaland/1#16713108

^^ This is WHY you are actually crying>?? LWKMD! grin grin
Re: Nigeria A Nation Divided! Shocking data supporting the division. by ujoinme: 9:16pm On Jul 09, 2013
Re: Nigeria A Nation Divided! Shocking data supporting the division. by ujoinme: 9:22pm On Jul 09, 2013
se.xkilza.phull:

https://www.nairaland.com/1352965/all-progressive-congress-apc-nairaland/1#16713108

^^ This is WHY you are actually crying>?? LWKMD! grin grin

So you are one of the APC goon?
Re: Nigeria A Nation Divided! Shocking data supporting the division. by Nobody: 9:32pm On Jul 09, 2013
adconline:
Overall GDP, and GDP per capita, respectively, are theoretical measures of a country's overall wealth, and the proportion of that overall wealth that an individual citizen of a country gets per annum. In reality, what amount each citizen gets in Nigeria better tells, again theoretically, how well off each state citizen is (or should be) doing.

These are the seven richest states in Nigeria by per capita according to wikipedia (check out each state in wikipedia)

1. Delta
Overall GDP: 16.75 Billion

Per capita:$3,990

2. Rivers

Overal GDP $21.07 billion
Per capita :$3965

3. Lagos

Overall GDP: $33.68 billion
Per capita: $3649

4. Edo

Overall GDP: $11.89 billion

Per capita: $3623

5. Imo
Overall GDP $14.21 Billion
per capita: $3,527

6. Cross River

GDP $9.29 billion
Per capita: $3150

7. Abia

Overal GDP: $18.69 billion
Per capita $3003
Frm dat, abia is d 4th richest based on GDP nd 7th based on GDP per capita. So tell me y abia GDP is low here, I want 2 kw.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Jonathan Commissions N4.4bn Edo/Delta Link Bridge / President Goodluck Ebelemitan Jonathan Bans Patience From Campaigning For Him? / I Handed Nigeria Over To Buhari As The African Largest Economy With A $574b-gej

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 99
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.