Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,153 members, 7,818,488 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 05:12 PM

PACIFIC RIM: The Surprise Hit Of The Summer?? - TV/Movies - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / TV/Movies / PACIFIC RIM: The Surprise Hit Of The Summer?? (3220 Views)

PACIFIC RIM: What Was Your Best Scene? / D'banj And Kanye West To Star In A Movie - Cruel Summer / Apply For The African, Caribbean And Pacific (acp) Film Production Fund (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

PACIFIC RIM: The Surprise Hit Of The Summer?? by jayflex: 1:42pm On Jul 10, 2013
Mexican director Guillermo Del Toro, the man responsible for Hellboy and the dark, fascinating Pan's Labyrinth looks set to orchestrate something of a coup over the established summer blockbuster "sure-bets" like Iron Man 3 and Man of Steel. Though there has been plenty of good stuff to watch, there's always room for a dark horse to captivate fans used to certain franchises. Pacific Rim from pre-release reviews could be the movie people will be talking about as the next big thing. It has plenty an adult moviegoer would like to see and everything kids would want in a movie.

The movie is set in the year 2020 and mankind is under attack from very very big amphibious beasts (the Kaiju) that have escaped from a gargantuan crack in the floor of the pacific ocean and have killed millions in a seven year war. The governments and corporations of the world come together to build equally huge warrior robots (the Jaegers) that have enough weaponry to make popular robot heroes like the Transformers and even Voltron look ordinary.

Read more at http://kizarofaro..com/2013/07/pacific-rim-surprise-hit-of-summer.html

Re: PACIFIC RIM: The Surprise Hit Of The Summer?? by Nobody: 2:08pm On Jul 10, 2013
not out yet, and by the look of all the FLOPS this last few months (that were suppose to be box office hits), i am reserving my judgment on that one too.
Re: PACIFIC RIM: The Surprise Hit Of The Summer?? by jayflex: 4:34pm On Jul 10, 2013
MRbrownJAY: not out yet, and by the look of all the FLOPS this last few months (that were suppose to be box office hits), i am reserving my judgment on that one too.

Its been a very bland summer to tell you the truth. The blockbuster types like iron man 3 and man of steel were ok but many moviegoers haven't seen anything fresh like Pacific Rim in a while. Monster movies. Its a novel concept that channels the japanese godzilla type disaster films of the 1960s and 70s.
Re: PACIFIC RIM: The Surprise Hit Of The Summer?? by Nobody: 6:21pm On Jul 10, 2013
my biggest regret this summer so far is none other that AFTER EARTH.......oh what a let down this movie was for me.
Re: PACIFIC RIM: The Surprise Hit Of The Summer?? by jayflex: 10:10pm On Jul 10, 2013
MRbrownJAY: my biggest regret this summer so far is none other that AFTER EARTH.......oh what a let down this movie was for me.

+1000000

That film should win a truckload of razzies
Re: PACIFIC RIM: The Surprise Hit Of The Summer?? by jayflex: 7:44am On Jul 11, 2013
The main attraction this movie has for me is that as a fan of voltron as a kid I have been longing for a movie that is deserving of the fighting robot treatment. I think pacific rim will do it justice
Re: PACIFIC RIM: The Surprise Hit Of The Summer?? by Nobody: 7:53am On Jul 11, 2013
you know the movie trailers these days are good at portraying a movie "great" while in fact the flick is "ok" at best. i sure wont spend any money on this one until i see some fantastic reviews.
Re: PACIFIC RIM: The Surprise Hit Of The Summer?? by jayflex: 8:12am On Jul 11, 2013
^^ lol! You must have gotten your fingers burnt by "after earth". I must admit the trailer for that one is the bomb. If na good reviews you dey wait for u may misled. Critics don't always yarn correct. Look out for user reviews instead. Its out tomorrow so I am waiting for your "conversion"
Re: PACIFIC RIM: The Surprise Hit Of The Summer?? by Nobody: 5:44pm On Jul 11, 2013
look around you, so many flicks who were labelled summer blockbusters that flopped miserably....another one of these movies is LONE RANGER, and WHITE HOUSE DOWN! kai, let me stop wasting my time and energy on such crap flicks, and instead spend it on some worthy movies!

1 Like

Re: PACIFIC RIM: The Surprise Hit Of The Summer?? by Nobody: 9:13am On Jul 16, 2013
bro, thank me later (i didnt really like the movie)
http://www.solarmovie.so/link/play/1469872/
Re: PACIFIC RIM: The Surprise Hit Of The Summer?? by VillageBoi(m): 6:18pm On Jul 16, 2013
Cant lie the graphics are amazing BUT

I wonder if the age rating for this film na 5yrs - what a load a very badly written and acted lrubbish! Cliche, cliche crap that is so awful you cringe throughout. .
Re: PACIFIC RIM: The Surprise Hit Of The Summer?? by Nobody: 6:20pm On Jul 16, 2013
VillageBoi:
Cant lie the graphics are amazing BUT

I wonder if the age rating for this film na 5yrs - what a load a very badly written and acted lrubbish! Cliche, cliche crap that is so awful you cringe throughout. .

bro Villageboi, long time!!!!
pls dont spoil the movie for the OP (who seem to look forward to this flick).....didnt you see how i gently put it to him that i didnt like the movie, lol!
Re: PACIFIC RIM: The Surprise Hit Of The Summer?? by Bawss1(m): 7:56pm On Jul 16, 2013
There has to be something missing in Hollywood, how can an industry that is able to dole out mega bucks just to get the looks of a movie right still fail repeatedly in coming up with the basic requirement for a good movie - a decent storyline.

This problem seems to be at its height this summer. Kai!
Re: PACIFIC RIM: The Surprise Hit Of The Summer?? by Nobody: 8:33pm On Jul 16, 2013
^^^^ i dont know what is wrong with Hollywood but they certainly are failing heavily lately. this year, even top name actors cannot bring the industry back up on its feet:
Johnny Depp in Lone Ranger, NOSE DIVE!
Tom Cruise in Oblivion, NOSE DIVE & BS MOVIE)!
Jamie Foxx in white house down, NOSE DIVE (same old BS storyline)!
Brad Pitt in World War Z, NOSE DIVE!
Will Smith in After Earth, NOSE DIVE (imho BULLSHIT MOVIE)!
Stallone in Bullet to the head, NOSE DIVE & BULLSHIT MOVIE!
Schwarzenegger in Last man standing. NOSE DIVE & BULLSHIT MOVIE!
Mark Whalberg and the Rock in Pain And Gain, NOSE DIVE & BS STORY!
The Rock in G I Joe retaliation, NOSE DIVE!
De Niro/Travolta in Killing Season, NOSE DIVE & BULLSHIT MOVIE!
Al Pacino in Stand Up Guys, SERIOUS NOSE DIVE & BS STORY!
Jason Statham in Redemption, BULLSHIT MOVIE
Jim Carrey in The Incredible MR wonderstone, NOSE DIVE & BS STORY!
so many stars in Movie 43, HEAVY NOSE DIVE!
even animations like Jack The Giant Slayer failed, NOSE DIVE!
and the summer is not even over yet!

1 Like

Re: PACIFIC RIM: The Surprise Hit Of The Summer?? by VillageBoi(m): 9:44pm On Jul 16, 2013
MRbrownJAY:

bro Villageboi, long time!!!!
pls dont spoil the movie for the OP (who seem to look forward to this flick).....didnt you see how i gently put it to him that i didnt like the movie, lol!

My guy I dey o! Oh boy this film vex me no be small with the most wooden acting EVER. Na only Idris & the dad guy - can't even remember names as this crap fried my brain - do well. All the robot vs monster stuff was cool BUT how in the world was every single 'human' element of the film so badly written.
I watched on the release date and the cinema was packed. The place was as quiet as a graveyard as people couldn't believe the Z grade dialogue they were listening to.

Everyone save your money and give this a wide berth unless you just want to enjoy the graphics and fights.

Tufia!!!
Re: PACIFIC RIM: The Surprise Hit Of The Summer?? by Nobody: 1:01am On Jul 17, 2013
MRbrownJAY: ^^^^ i dont know what is wrong with Hollywood but they certainly are failing heavily lately. this year, even top name actors cannot bring the industry back up on its feet:

Star Trek; Into Darkness??
Re: PACIFIC RIM: The Surprise Hit Of The Summer?? by jayflex: 6:36am On Jul 17, 2013
This is heartbreaking. I'm not going to bother watching it. Why do these studios think its enough to spend many millions on action and cgi.

Na wa. This is the reason why I started going for movies by new daring directors. Infact no more blockbusters for me for now
Re: PACIFIC RIM: The Surprise Hit Of The Summer?? by Nobody: 5:03pm On Jul 17, 2013
I wish I had opened this thread before watching!!! Arrrgh!!!!!!!!! What a waste of time!
Re: PACIFIC RIM: The Surprise Hit Of The Summer?? by VillageBoi(m): 5:29pm On Jul 17, 2013
speedyboi: I wish I had opened this thread before watching!!! Arrrgh!!!!!!!!! What a waste of time!

Sorri oh!
Re: PACIFIC RIM: The Surprise Hit Of The Summer?? by taioluv: 7:37pm On Jul 17, 2013
OMG shocked shocked I haff wasted my data plan downloading all dis movies you haff listed down below and i was planning to watch them nextweek as per free time,kai am so sad sad sad sad

wetin dey do dis year movies now ,thank God say hobbit part 2 and riddick movie remain for dis year to watch grin grin

MRbrownJAY: ^^^^ i dont know what is wrong with Hollywood but they certainly are failing heavily lately. this year, even top name actors cannot bring the industry back up on its feet:
Re: PACIFIC RIM: The Surprise Hit Of The Summer?? by VillageBoi(m): 6:45am On Jul 18, 2013
E be like say my last 'Blockbuster' of this summer will be Wolverine. I'm so tired & bored of the crap Hollywood is churning out like 2 Kobo sweets from their backyard factory. Smh.
Re: PACIFIC RIM: The Surprise Hit Of The Summer?? by viruz007(m): 10:35am On Jul 18, 2013
Better movies this year have been Olympus Has Fallen, Star Trek Into The Darkness, Fast and Furious 6 and Man of Steel. The rest i just managed.
Re: PACIFIC RIM: The Surprise Hit Of The Summer?? by Nobody: 11:13am On Jul 18, 2013
viruz007: Better movies this year have been Olympus Has Fallen, Star Trek Into The Darkness, Fast and Furious 6 and Man of Steel. The rest i just managed.

of all movies, the above in bold was "manageable" at best (IMHO).......same old flake and recycled story , Butler was not very convincing, and this flick is a copycat to WHITE HOUSE DOWN.

so in the space of a few months, we have two movies this year about terrorists taking over the white house and one man saving the day on his own, whats the deal?

as for fast & Furious, some of the stunts where highly laughable. i know its a movie but COME ON!!!!!

@Villageboy
i am also looking forward to WOLVERINE 2 and ANCHORMAN 2 in Dec (Will Ferrel's type of comedy is very addictive)

@Nairaland mod
you banned me for posting on this thread, then unbanned me, but kept my post hidden. wtf?!
Re: PACIFIC RIM: The Surprise Hit Of The Summer?? by viruz007(m): 2:06pm On Jul 18, 2013
MRbrownJAY:

of all movies, the above in bold was "manageable" at best (IMHO).......same old flake and recycled story , Butler was not very convincing, and this flick is a copycat to WHITE HOUSE DOWN.

so in the space of a few months, we have two movies this year about terrorists taking over the white house and one man saving the day on his own, whats the deal?

as for fast & Furious, some of the stunts where highly laughable. i know its a movie but COME ON!!!!!

@Villageboy
i am also looking forward to WOLVERINE 2 and ANCHORMAN 2 in Dec (Will Ferrel's type of comedy is very addictive)

@Nairaland mod
you banned me for posting on this thread, then unbanned me, but kept my post hidden. wtf?!

Honestly i don't know who copied who betweeen White House Down and Olympus Has Fallen but WHD had a more possiblity of happening but OHF was the better movie as Butler character wasted no time delivering the goods.
Re: PACIFIC RIM: The Surprise Hit Of The Summer?? by jayflex: 12:53pm On Jul 19, 2013
This is an interesting opinion by a poster on another forum -

"I can't believe all the negative reviews I've seen being said about this movie. Pacific Rim is a better movie than it is being lead to believe. People are complaining that the movie is lacking the "human element" and that it us all cliche and terrible. Hello! the movie depicts people in giant mech warriors fighting huge monsters trying to destroy mankind. Its supposed to be cliche. Its a throwback to the old 60's and 70's Japanese monster movies (but with robots!). Pacific Rim is probably going to be my second favorite movie of the year behind star trek. people need to stop being so demanding n serious and let a movie be fun. It was a fun refreshing movie with a unique plot and i enjoyed it thoroughly. Every time a kaiju was getting pounded on i had my gusts in the air whispering "go humanity". A must see ask check it out"

http://kizarofaro..com/2013/07/pacific-rim-surprise-hit-of-summer.html
Re: PACIFIC RIM: The Surprise Hit Of The Summer?? by Briareos(m): 2:06pm On Jul 19, 2013

it is gloomy days ahead, my brother. the only movie i'm looking forward to watch is coming 2014. INTERSTELLAR . Written by the Nolan Brothers. Directed by Boss Chris Nolan. Starring Mathew McConoughy, Anne Hathaway, Michael Caine etc
Re: PACIFIC RIM: The Surprise Hit Of The Summer?? by VillageBoi(m): 10:07am On Jul 21, 2013
Just saw White House Down and I prefered it to Olympus Has Fallen.
Re: PACIFIC RIM: The Surprise Hit Of The Summer?? by mrdrizzy(m): 10:53am On Jul 21, 2013
MRbrownJAY: my biggest regret this summer so far is none other that AFTER EARTH.......oh what a let down this movie was for me.
lol i had d same feeling..i didnt even finish it,had to delete it waste of space and data,very dull..gosh who made dat story line?
Re: PACIFIC RIM: The Surprise Hit Of The Summer?? by mrdrizzy(m): 10:54am On Jul 21, 2013
VillageBoi:
Just saw White House Down and I prefered it to Olympus Has Fallen.
lol different talks for different folks..i actually like white house down dan olympus
Re: PACIFIC RIM: The Surprise Hit Of The Summer?? by Nobody: 7:41pm On Jul 21, 2013
[b]Okay, lemme talk:

White House Down was ok, a bit long, but okay. As okay as a movie can be when you already know the outcome.

Olympus Has Fallen had better action than WHD but was extremely long. I dozed off midway. And the CGI was just CRAPPY!

Star Trek Into Darkness was amazing. I loved the storyline, the actors (I began to ship Kirk/Spock and Kirk/Khan because of it). Cumberbatch was simply astounding as Khan. At first I thought he couldn't pull off villain after watching him as Sherlock, but he DELIVERED!

Fast and Furious 6 was two words: Les Miserable!

I have not, and will not watch After Earth as I was turned off by the trailer. I think the trailer is the most important part of a movie as it is what draws viewers in.

Oblivion was amazing. The graphics and the story and the music. Oh the music! M83 was at their best. I had to download the complete movie soundtrack immediately I exited the cinema. (Same with Star Trek Into Darkness soundtrack. I loved London Calling (and the scene in which it was played))

I will see Pacific Rim tomorrow. The trailers look amazing.

Man of Steel was too grey.
[/b]
Re: PACIFIC RIM: The Surprise Hit Of The Summer?? by SIRcumalot: 7:59pm On Jul 21, 2013
Star trel: into the darkness, to me is the best blockbuster movie so far
Iron man 3 coasted on RDJ star power and post avenger hype.
Man of steel is forgettable hopefully the 2nd movie would rock basing this on the fact that baman begin didn't pull up big numbers when stacked against the sequels
My crap -o -meter has been on point this year have dodge most of the stinkers
movies am looking forward to
Interstellar: anything with the Nolan brothers is a must see for me now.
Pacific RIM
The new RIDDICK movie and Wolverine .Anti hero leads is always tempting to me.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Download Movie Exit 2019 Korean / Where To Download Jenifa's Diary Season 5 And Season 6 / Jim Iyke: Unscripted Show

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.