Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,898 members, 7,821,128 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 08:42 AM

What Level Of Respect Does The Police Command From The People - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / What Level Of Respect Does The Police Command From The People (425 Views)

World Female Leaders Wear Veil, It Is A Sign Of Respect For Religion And Custom / David Mark Solely Sworn In As A Mark Of Respect / Akinwunmi Ambode Visits Police Command. See Photos: (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

What Level Of Respect Does The Police Command From The People by Murphylink(m): 9:34pm On Jul 10, 2013
Critically looking at the Nigerian Police Force as an institution and/or profession, what's the level of respect they command ?
With series of reforms/transformation/reorientation/reorganization etc they will always remain what they've always been. Because institution(s)or profession(s) are product of the society that produce them.
Last week, I had bitter-sweet experience with the Nigerian police officers while trying to get police report for a lost international passport.
I started the processing of retrieving the passport with an affidavit at Igbosere High court. While at the high court, there was no issue because its a do-it-yourself thing. From there I went to police station. On getting to the station, the officer at the admin desk said "to get this report, na #2000". I politely ask him if he will issue receipt to cover the payment. The next thing said was " do you ask them question at the court where you got the affidavit"
While trying to calm him, he told me to leave " his office" ( public office that anybody can occupy). Outside "his office" I called Lagos police headquarters & they told me one of the ogas at the station will call me to & attend to my complain. Before I can say jack, somebody called, asking me to come to the station.
On getting to the station, the senior officer invited into his office and ask me all that happened. It was him that now directed the officer that refuse me before to issue the report without paying a dime.
Looking at this kind of ugly experience i had with the police.
My questions are;
-Can ordinary citizen have respect for the police ? -How can this type of institution command respect from the people they ought to serve
-Can people voluntarily give information to the Nigerian police?
-Can there be effective and efficient policing when there's lack of trust between officers and the citizen.

You can share your encounter with this institution

(1) (Reply)

Fashola Vows To Demolish Structurally Defective Buildings / Boko Haram Rejects Ceasefire Pact With Govt / Nigerian Government, States, Councils Share N718.1bn Revenue For June

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.