Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,016 members, 7,817,997 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 02:58 AM

Would You Leave A Well Paying Job To Relocate To The U.S Or Canada? - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Would You Leave A Well Paying Job To Relocate To The U.S Or Canada? (5120 Views)

I Am In Dilemma, Do We Relocate To Canada Or Stay Back / What Motivates Diasporans To Relocate Back To Nigeria? / Should I Relocate To Canada ? Advice Please (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Would You Leave A Well Paying Job To Relocate To The U.S Or Canada? by Ladapo(m): 9:27pm On Jul 11, 2013
I am trying to convince a friend who has a well paying job in naija not to relocate as the grass is not always greener on the other side but the guy won't hear any of my reasoning..this guy earns about N 150k per month and just got a student visa to Canada. What would you suggest?
Re: Would You Leave A Well Paying Job To Relocate To The U.S Or Canada? by goodtalk(m): 9:34pm On Jul 11, 2013
Ladapo: I am trying to convince a friend who has a well paying job in naija not to relocate as the coolgrass is not always greener on the other side but the guy won't hear any of my reasoning..this guy earns about N 150k per month and just got a student visa to Canada. What would you suggest?
so you call earning about $900 a month to be a well paying job abi? My friend no sir! He should go and while schooling and adding more qualifications to what he already has he could easily get a part time job that could pay him above that amount he currently earns!! Oga seun am still waiting for my payment for been t'he first to comment on dis matter, abeg do dat quick before i take nairaland to court! Dis are my bank details, Trade Bank Marina Acct No 653210000000.

1 Like

Re: Would You Leave A Well Paying Job To Relocate To The U.S Or Canada? by justwise(m): 9:36pm On Jul 11, 2013
Ladapo: I am trying to convince a friend who has a well paying job in naija not to relocate as the grass is not always greener on the other side but the guy won't hear any of my reasoning..this guy earns about N 150k per month and just got a student visa to Canada. What would you suggest?

I will take the student visa to Canada, part time work will earn him 150k equivalent a month.

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Would You Leave A Well Paying Job To Relocate To The U.S Or Canada? by Godson201333(m): 7:00am On Jul 12, 2013
justwise:

I will take the student visa to Canada, part time work will earn him 150k equivalent a month.

Yees oo thats true Bros,I will also take the student visa because after graduation in Canada i am gonna be earning more and more,whereas you might get a Furlough or fired at your naija 150k job.This is how our people loss chances.
Re: Would You Leave A Well Paying Job To Relocate To The U.S Or Canada? by Nobody: 6:46am On Jul 13, 2013
Ladapo: I am trying to convince a friend who has a well paying job in naija not to relocate as the grass is not always greener on the other side but the guy won't hear any of my reasoning..this guy earns about N 150k per month and just got a student visa to Canada. What would you suggest?

What is this? why in the hell would you advice your friend not to leave Nigeria and go to school in Canada? you are the most

wicked friend ever....its like telling someone who lives in Makoko not to leave and relocate to lekki..wicked human being..

Ill suggest you stop giving immigration advice..

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Would You Leave A Well Paying Job To Relocate To The U.S Or Canada? by Nobody: 8:04am On Jul 13, 2013
@knowitall.............that is the foreign minister of diasporans talking, well said knowitall. grin grin grin
Mr knowitall.:

What is this? why in the hell would you advice your friend not to leave Nigeria and go to school in Canada? you are the most

wicked friend ever....its like telling someone who lives in Makoko not to leave and relocate to lekki..wicked human being..

Re: Would You Leave A Well Paying Job To Relocate To The U.S Or Canada? by Naijalastborn(m): 9:22am On Jul 13, 2013
justwise:

wow justwise first time
Re: Would You Leave A Well Paying Job To Relocate To The U.S Or Canada? by Naijalastborn(m): 9:23am On Jul 13, 2013
justwise:

wow justwise first time
Re: Would You Leave A Well Paying Job To Relocate To The U.S Or Canada? by justwise(m): 10:23am On Jul 13, 2013
Naija_lastborn: wow justwise first time

Re: Would You Leave A Well Paying Job To Relocate To The U.S Or Canada? by africanchilds: 12:30pm On Jul 13, 2013
justwise:

Who will pay his school fees.
I know someone here in the states, though wasn't working in Nigeria, it took him 8 months before he could even get a 7:99$ hour job
Re: Would You Leave A Well Paying Job To Relocate To The U.S Or Canada? by justwise(m): 12:33pm On Jul 13, 2013
africanchilds:
Who will pay his school fees.
I know someone here in the states, though wasn't working in Nigeria, it took him 8 months before he could even get a 7:99$ hour job

This is not about fees, its about whether to leave his job and travel to Canada to study, how will he dream of going to Canada to study if he cant pay his fees? That is pure stupidity

1 Like

Re: Would You Leave A Well Paying Job To Relocate To The U.S Or Canada? by Nobody: 1:30pm On Jul 13, 2013
ogakpatakpata: @knowitall.............that is the foreign minister of diasporans talking, well said knowitall. grin grin grin
Ogakpatakpata: na you give ham ooo grin Foreign minister of diasporans...lol
Re: Would You Leave A Well Paying Job To Relocate To The U.S Or Canada? by Nobody: 1:34pm On Jul 13, 2013
@Demaejy........what can l say, knowitall deserves it....hahhahahaha grin grin grin grin grin
Demaejy:
Ogakpatakpata: na you give ham ooo grin Foreign minister of diasporans...lol
Re: Would You Leave A Well Paying Job To Relocate To The U.S Or Canada? by Nobody: 2:08pm On Jul 13, 2013
ogakpatakpata: @Demaejy........what can l say, knowitall deserves it....hahhahahaha grin grin grin grin grin
grin...supported!!!
Re: Would You Leave A Well Paying Job To Relocate To The U.S Or Canada? by AjanleKoko: 2:14pm On Jul 13, 2013
Well . . . Why not? For the exposure, more than anything. So long as he doesn't have family, as in spouse or children, why can't he relocate? The exposure to the wider world is always good.
Re: Would You Leave A Well Paying Job To Relocate To The U.S Or Canada? by africanchilds: 5:58pm On Jul 13, 2013
justwise:

This is not about fees, its about whether to leave his job and travel to Canada to study, how will he dream of going to Canada to study if he cant pay his fees? That is pure stupidity

Though Op didn't state if his friend is able to pay his fee
But we should know that there r other expenses to incur and
what about the follow year.
I wouldn't Judge on my own reasoning.
Even though I was earning above that, I had erased traveling to start afresh
Rather I Picked Migration
Re: Would You Leave A Well Paying Job To Relocate To The U.S Or Canada? by Goldie20: 6:10pm On Jul 13, 2013
ogakpatakpata: @knowitall.............that is the foreign minister of diasporans talking, well said knowitall. grin grin grin

grin grin grin grin cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Would You Leave A Well Paying Job To Relocate To The U.S Or Canada? by Nobody: 6:26pm On Jul 13, 2013
Mr knowitall.:

Must you insult everyone you disagree with?
Re: Would You Leave A Well Paying Job To Relocate To The U.S Or Canada? by Nobody: 8:39pm On Jul 13, 2013
osaass:

Must you insult everyone you disagree with?

I dont think wicked could be considered an insult...its more of a characteristic of a person..or an act....so i didnt

insult him.....the advice he gave to his friend was a wicked advice....is it not wicked for a friend to tell another friend

not to advance his life? yes, it is!!!!
I never insult anyone on this forum...
Re: Would You Leave A Well Paying Job To Relocate To The U.S Or Canada? by juzme: 9:16pm On Jul 13, 2013
I think moving abroad to study or migration purpose should be based on personal circumstance and ones vision in life.
With information the OP has given I don’t anyone here can advise him. There will be so many ‘if’ . For instance, if he has better chance to progress in his current position, then why risky that to move abroad.
In the other way, if has the capital to support his/herself while studying abroad why not take the chance. Again, If the course or programme he is going to undertake in Canada has a good prospect, it may be good to take the chance as well.

Mr knowitall.:

@ knowitall, I don’t mean to be rude but you almost sound desperate in your comments about moving abroad and one can assume that you never lived in a developed country with good economy. I said this because in a developed country even most foreigners that has a well-paid job still don’t think it is easy living abroad especially when you have to consider your race.
Re: Would You Leave A Well Paying Job To Relocate To The U.S Or Canada? by Nobody: 12:39am On Jul 14, 2013
juzme:

@ knowitall, I don’t mean to be rude but you almost sound desperate in your comments about moving abroad and one can assume that you never lived in a developed country with good economy. I said this because in a developed country even most foreigners that has a well-paid job still don’t think it is easy living abroad especially when you have to consider your race.

You said you dont mean to be rude...but you went ahead and be rude anyways....exactly where would you consider a developed

country with good economy? if you have a well paying job..its damn easy living abroad...
Re: Would You Leave A Well Paying Job To Relocate To The U.S Or Canada? by africanchilds: 12:55am On Jul 14, 2013
You have said it.people that haven't being to developed countries would think it's best to come and struggle.
Life style here is on credit, debt that you could be paying till you die.
I have only migrated to the USA for weeks and I can tell you where my heart lies.
I don't work so much in Nigeria but I definitely would be working more hours here to pay Bills
juzme: I think moving abroad to study or migration purpose should be based on personal circumstance and ones vision in life.
With information the OP has given I don’t anyone here can advise him. There will be so many ‘if’ . For instance, if he has better chance to progress in his current position, then why risky that to move abroad.
In the other way, if has the capital to support his/herself while studying abroad why not take the chance. Again, If the course or programme he is going to undertake in Canada has a good prospect, it may be good to take the chance as well.

Re: Would You Leave A Well Paying Job To Relocate To The U.S Or Canada? by AjanleKoko: 2:55pm On Jul 14, 2013
It's kinda sad that we Nigerians only measure life by monetary standards.
We don't live to work, or live for money alone. Even the Good Book says 'man shall not live by bread alone.'.

2 Likes

Re: Would You Leave A Well Paying Job To Relocate To The U.S Or Canada? by justwise(m): 7:24pm On Jul 14, 2013
africanchilds:

People who took such massive project without proper planning got themselves to blame. Many Nigerians borrowed money to build their bank account just to get a visa and after the visa is out they return the money and travel with almost nothing....thinking...i will hustle to survive or marry oyibo to get papers. When the reality hits them you hear them saying...nothing dey US or UK, 9ja is better bla bla bla

1 Like

Re: Would You Leave A Well Paying Job To Relocate To The U.S Or Canada? by Nobody: 7:43pm On Jul 14, 2013
wow !!!! grin grin grin grin
justwise:

People who took such massive project without proper planning got themselves to blame. Many Nigerians borrowed money to build their bank account just to get a visa and after the visa is out they return the money and travel with almost nothing....thinking...i will hustle to survive or marry oyibo to get papers. When the reality hits them you hear them saying...nothing dey US or UK, 9ja is better bla bla bla

Re: Would You Leave A Well Paying Job To Relocate To The U.S Or Canada? by esere826: 10:24pm On Jul 14, 2013
AjanleKoko: It's kinda sad that we Nigerians only measure life by monetary standards.
We don't live to work, or live for money alone. Even the Good Book says 'man shall not live by bread alone.'.

Who lives by bread alone? undecided
None that I have seen
Folks usually eat bread with tea, cofee, eggs, cocoa, butter or beans
or at least water
Re: Would You Leave A Well Paying Job To Relocate To The U.S Or Canada? by sixteen08(m): 6:36am On Jul 15, 2013
esere826:

None that I have seen
or at least water

cheesy
Strange but true
Re: Would You Leave A Well Paying Job To Relocate To The U.S Or Canada? by Ladapo(m): 5:42pm On Jul 16, 2013
Thanks for the advice everyone, I asked the question cos I couldn't convince the guy not to leave. I know the grass is not always greener on the other side and maybe " I just dey fear" for my friend ni for the fillowingreasons ;

1. I don't think he will be going to the school cos of funding.
2. Getting a job, accommodation etc. Is not always easy without papers and even PR holders still complain cos u ll find out that some people live better in Nigeria until they land here.

Well, thanks for the advice everyone, I can only pray for my friend....i am not a wicked soul o my dear friend, I just don't like when people go through difficult times.
Re: Would You Leave A Well Paying Job To Relocate To The U.S Or Canada? by justwise(m): 5:44pm On Jul 16, 2013
Ladapo: Thanks for the advice everyone, I asked the question cos I couldn't convince the guy not to leave. I know the grass is not always greener on the other side and maybe " I just dey fear" for my friend ni for the fillowingreasons ;

2. Getting a job, accommodation etc. Is not always easy without papers and even PR holders still complain cos u ll find out that some people live better in Nigeria until they land here.

Well, thanks for the advice everyone, I can only pray for my friend....i am not a wicked soul o my dear friend, I just don't like when people go through difficult times.

Who told you that?

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Would You Leave A Well Paying Job To Relocate To The U.S Or Canada? by AjanleKoko: 5:46pm On Jul 16, 2013
esere826:

None that I have seen
or at least water

LOL cheesy

Ladapo: Thanks for the advice everyone, I asked the question cos I couldn't convince the guy not to leave. I know the grass is not always greener on the other side and maybe " I just dey fear" for my friend ni for the fillowingreasons ;

Haba.
Canada is relatively easier to settle, unlike the UK and US where they don't give you anything anymore post-study. At least in Canada, they are still accepting people for PR.
The only challenge is getting a good job - which is a challenge anywhere, anyways. Nigerians should think out of the box, and stop running after MBA and other low-hanging fruit. Some people are still able to find good jobs in the same Canada. One guy in my team relocated to Canada from NG in May, and I have gotten reference requests from 3 organizations already.

Last and final: Who says your guy's chances are better in Nigeria? No be 150k he dey earn here?

Though of course if he cannot afford the schooling, this whole discussion is DOA undecided
Re: Would You Leave A Well Paying Job To Relocate To The U.S Or Canada? by GboyegaD(m): 10:30am On Jul 17, 2013
africanchilds:

But most people moving from Nigeria without funding to study in Canada are required to pay tuition for at least the 1st year thus, his first year is guaranteed and his performance may earn him some funding/scholarship in subsequent years.
Re: Would You Leave A Well Paying Job To Relocate To The U.S Or Canada? by GboyegaD(m): 10:54am On Jul 17, 2013
africanchilds: You have said it.people that haven't being to developed countries would think it's best to come and struggle.
Life style here is on credit, debt that you could be paying till you die.
I have only migrated to the USA for weeks and I can tell you where my heart lies.
I don't work so much in Nigeria but I definitely would be working more hours here to pay Bills

Your conclusion is amazing. You have only lived weeks in the US and you are already reaching conclusions that are so biased based on your experience solely. Or were you expecting that on getting to the USA, the whole economy goes on standstill because an immigrant just came in? Anyways, in a sane economy, you work for your money however, if it isn't conducive for you, you can come back to Nigeria.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

I Have 600k..which Country Can I Travel To And Start A Good Life.. / My Experience At Nigeria Immigration Office, Ikoyi / Any Idea About Estonian Economy

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.