Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,119 members, 7,821,834 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 07:50 PM

Mathematics In Nigeria- The Way Forward - Career (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Mathematics In Nigeria- The Way Forward (34343 Views)

Bankers Whats The Way Forward?? / Best Paid Degrees In Nigeria (THE BITTER TRUTH) / Basic Medical Science In Nigeria - The Way Forward? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Mathematics In Nigeria- The Way Forward by MitchDLeo(m): 2:33pm On Aug 01, 2013
My Brother am not Into Mathematics but my advice to you is that Companies looking for Employees are more concerned with the skills you can offer not the course you studied. I'll advice you to finish yur course with a Good grade and Increase yur skills. Even PHD holders are looking for Jobs. They are Smart but lack the skill
Re: Mathematics In Nigeria- The Way Forward by markmatics(m): 2:33pm On Aug 01, 2013
martowskin1: Hmmmmm.....all I see is venturing into ICT, Venturing into ICT, venturing into ICT, but do u guys knw we have people who studied ICT as a core course in this country?

Where will they now go to? B4 u even learn to write single BASIC statement, this guys ar already manipulating database, writing millions of codes, I can't see how som1 who read mathematics will venture into d ICT world after graduation and be able to compete in the ICT market with one who has being doing it all his life from 100level days even 2yrs b4 getin admission(som1 I knw) .....just saying.

I will advice u, go into where ur manipulation of figures, analytical thinking, will be mostly needed, like d financial world etc

Have said it b4 and am saying it again, with d level of development in nigeria, one should be very careful with the kind of course he/she study.

Nigeria is not just in dat level yet where u read anytin dis universities throw at u.

But is funny to hear graduates say "I don't want to lecture" what do u want to do? Oh....work in an oil firm.

Make we shine our eyes, b4 we go allow soap enter our eye for inside river.

One of The most lucrative job in nija, u say u don't like it.

All man to his own views, no bite pls, dis is hw I see it, is obvious I can be WRONG and trust me, still very CORRECT. That does not mean I can't be corrected or take correction

Peace to d house
I guess u didn't study computer science datz y u tukin lyk dis! No doubt, someone who studied mathematics n wants 2 venture in2 ICT cnt just b able 2 compete wit someone who has been doin it all his lyf. Buh believe u me, a mathematician can do better dan a computer scientist wen it cums 2 programmin as far as mathematician has an interest in dat line!
Re: Mathematics In Nigeria- The Way Forward by Nobody: 4:45pm On Aug 01, 2013
I miss solving maths.

those days in sch, courses like econometrics, calculus, O R, statistics micro econs used to be fun.
Re: Mathematics In Nigeria- The Way Forward by Boladearo(m): 5:12pm On Aug 01, 2013
ejim blessing:

Please learn to spell properly abeg! Which one b "mathematicien" again?
miss ITK, it just a mistake, na wetin you see read for there be that.
Re: Mathematics In Nigeria- The Way Forward by AdoOloro(m): 5:46pm On Aug 01, 2013
°°°mixedchic°°°:
I miss solving maths.

those days in sch, courses like econometrics, calculus, O R, statistics micro econs used to be fun.

Guy, quit child abuse. Play with stuffs like -Functional Analysis, Partial D.E, Topology, Complex Analysis, etc. That's what real men are talking about here!

7 Likes

Re: Mathematics In Nigeria- The Way Forward by donphilopus: 5:50pm On Aug 01, 2013
Erroneous!
Re: Mathematics In Nigeria- The Way Forward by 2rutalk1: 5:54pm On Aug 01, 2013
AdoOloro:

Guy, quit child abuse. Play with stuffs like -Functional Analysis, Partial D.E, Topology, Complex Analysis, etc. That's what real men are talking about here!
Do you think those topics you mentioned are harder than some topics in Econometrics at P.hD level. I did Complex Analysis and I can tell you that some topics I tackled in Econometrics at M.Sc level were harder than Complex Analysis. It all depends on the problem you are dealing with.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Mathematics In Nigeria- The Way Forward by MoAfrica: 6:00pm On Aug 01, 2013
I for one I am a mathematician, my honest advice for you is to get good grades.

After my graduation, I worked as a lecturer and then got a job as a statistics analyst, after that I worked as a research executive and now I am an account manager.
Re: Mathematics In Nigeria- The Way Forward by Sangarara: 6:15pm On Aug 01, 2013
Symphony007: Wow!! I'm in awe of you mathematicians o. In high school i feared maths more than the devil. Upon graduation, i taught i was free But now i'm studying revenue law and it has come back to hunt me. I wish i could borrow your math skills.

what is this "revenue law"
Re: Mathematics In Nigeria- The Way Forward by Sangarara: 6:16pm On Aug 01, 2013
2ru-talk:

Do you think those topics you mentioned are harder than some topics in Econometrics at P.hD level. I did Complex Analysis and I can tell you that some topics I tackled in Econometrics at M.Sc level were harder than Complex Analysis. It all depends on the problem you are dealing with.

By the way, complex analysis are termed difficulty because they do not make any sense in real life.
Re: Mathematics In Nigeria- The Way Forward by Sangarara: 6:17pm On Aug 01, 2013
MoAfrica: I for one I am a mathematician, my honest advice for you is to get good grades.

After my graduation, I worked as a lecturer and then got a job as a statistics analyst, after that I worked as a research executive and now I am an account manager.

Account Manager??
Re: Mathematics In Nigeria- The Way Forward by MoAfrica: 6:24pm On Aug 01, 2013
Sangarara:

Account Manager??

Yes,an Account Manager.
Re: Mathematics In Nigeria- The Way Forward by Munzakah(m): 6:25pm On Aug 01, 2013
With Mathematics you can never lack what to do.
Re: Mathematics In Nigeria- The Way Forward by Nobody: 6:34pm On Aug 01, 2013
MoAfrica:

Yes,an Account Manager.

do you get any other certificate apart from your Math Degree?
Re: Mathematics In Nigeria- The Way Forward by MoAfrica: 6:43pm On Aug 01, 2013
liaslo++:

do you get any other certificate apart from your Math Degree?

I have the following qualifications

1 B.Sc Mathematics and Applied Mathematics
2 B.Sc Honours in Applied Mathematics
3 Masters in Mathematics of finance

Presently i am studying MBA.
Re: Mathematics In Nigeria- The Way Forward by OmniSparrow: 8:28pm On Aug 01, 2013
MoAfrica:

I have the following qualifications

1 B.Sc Mathematics and Applied Mathematics
2 B.Sc Honours in Applied Mathematics
3 Masters in Mathematics of finance

Presently i am studying MBA.
Please which school did you do your masters in mathematics of finance?
Re: Mathematics In Nigeria- The Way Forward by shex202(m): 9:14pm On Aug 01, 2013
hello landers, pls where can a graduate of ANIMAL AND ENVIRONMENTAL BIOLOGY work?
Re: Mathematics In Nigeria- The Way Forward by MoAfrica: 6:38am On Aug 02, 2013
Omni_Sparrow:
Please which school did you do your masters in mathematics of finance?

University of Cape Town, South Africa.
Re: Mathematics In Nigeria- The Way Forward by Nobody: 7:55am On Aug 02, 2013
Chibenze: As am writing dis post now am currently study mathematics in the university, personally i dnt believe their is no job (no matter the course you are studying), i would have given u fews reason to the best of my knowledge but dat will take much of my time, i dnt like teaching if u tink dats where u end ur career as a mathematician, ones am tru wit my studies am going fully into d computer world. Mathematics is really universal my friend, tink positive thier are 1001 (one thousand and one) place you as a mathematicien can work. Dat my little contribution. PEACE BE ONTO MEN
also visit my blog for educational tips http://chibenze-alltopic..com
I agree with you, the best choice u can ever make is to move into d IT world when u graduate, with ur knowledge in maths, u wudn't have difficulties in solving problems- because that's what we do.
Re: Mathematics In Nigeria- The Way Forward by jpphilips(m): 1:52pm On Aug 02, 2013
shex202: hello landers, pls where can a graduate of ANIMAL AND ENVIRONMENTAL BIOLOGY work?

statistics of unemployed youth I guess.
how could you spend 4 to 5yrs without having an idea what the end of the road gives? damn! !
Re: Mathematics In Nigeria- The Way Forward by Nizstephen(m): 3:09pm On Aug 02, 2013
Ok pls i wana know the job prospect of a statistics student we've been talking about maths..am a statistics std 100L
Re: Mathematics In Nigeria- The Way Forward by mbhs139(m): 5:04pm On Aug 02, 2013
turl:

offtopic mate, are you by any chance an old boy? (mbhs?)

Yea! MBHS, Okota-Isolo, Lagos. 96/97 Set.
And Not
MBHS, Victoria Island, dude!
Re: Mathematics In Nigeria- The Way Forward by Numerouuuno: 6:47pm On Aug 02, 2013
Nizstephen: Ok pls i wana know the job prospect of a statistics student we've been talking about maths..am a statistics std 100L
weldone,I'm also a statistician to be by Gods grace next year.
[b]Statistics is a great course with practical knowledge in every human aspect/environment.
After acquiring your B.Sc,you can work as a lecturer if you are kinda sure of yourself,and also if you have the zeal of passing knowledge.
Lecturers in ♍Ɣ school with a Dr title receives at least 180K monthly,which is considerably good with the Nigerian economy.
In Oil and Gas too,there is a place for us in the finance/auditing unit.
In health,there is the aspect of Biostatistics,which in ♍Ɣ own case,i'll be going for the course in ♍Ɣ M.Sc.
Although,I'm not sure the course is available in Nigeria yet
In Banking too,if you can take some certifications,you have the prospect of reaching the top without being a teller or so forever,i wouldn't advice someone to go for this with the Banking sector flunctuations for now,but half bread is better than Nothing.
Everything just depends on knowing what you want and going for it cos you prospects reduce if you come out with a bad grade,aim for 1st class so that if you fail,atleadst u'll be in 2:1 wink ,that's all i can say here,if you wanna enquire about anyotheer sector i did not mention,quote M̶̲̥̅Ƹ.
Stay Blessed.
Numero uuuno[/b]

1 Like

Re: Mathematics In Nigeria- The Way Forward by zebra(m): 6:51am On Aug 03, 2013
I'll advice u if u're still studying to take courses in advanced statistics and ops research with statistics students. If u've graduated do ur Msc in stats.This will help prepare u to work on ur own as a statistician and operations analyst. U can be a statistical consultant to researchers and other R&D dept of mega companies. There are lots of things u can do as a statistician. Statistics solve real life problems. That is where mathematical methods are put into use. People do research work daily and require statisticians to work with them in the areas of questionnaire design, sampling, data collection, data analysis and modeling. Just be very skillful in statistical methods and statistical computing and see how researchers would be chasing after u. They need ur services as a professional who can help them handle the data part of their research. Studying mathematics can never be a waste of time bro! I also studied mathematics & statistics, and currently work for myself as a consultant statistician. Please take my piece of advice.

2 Likes

Re: Mathematics In Nigeria- The Way Forward by turl(m): 9:03am On Aug 04, 2013
mbhs139:

Yea! MBHS, Okota-Isolo, Lagos. 96/97 Set.
And Not
MBHS, Victoria Island, dude!

oh ok, I think that's the one my brother attended. non sibi
Re: Mathematics In Nigeria- The Way Forward by Nobody: 6:44pm On Oct 04, 2014
Chibenze:
As am writing dis post now am currently study mathematics in the university, personally i dnt believe their is no job (no matter the course you are studying), i would have given u fews reason to the best of my knowledge but dat will take much of my time, i dnt like teaching if u tink dats where u end ur career as a mathematician, ones am tru wit my studies am going fully into d computer world. Mathematics is really universal my friend, tink positive thier are 1001 (one thousand and one) place you as a mathematicien can work. Dat my little contribution. PEACE BE ONTO MEN
also visit my blog for educational tips http://chibenze-alltopic..com
pls what are the subject requirement for students who intend to study maths
and secondly can an art student do maths in university using art subject combination?
Re: Mathematics In Nigeria- The Way Forward by lanre4islam(m): 4:53pm On Oct 26, 2014
please fellow nairalander,i'm an aspirant who's really interested in mathematics but to avoid confusion of choice,Your discretion is needed on this question....''Mathematics and Mathematics Education,which is better and why?
Re: Mathematics In Nigeria- The Way Forward by Ihinmi(m): 7:53pm On Feb 15, 2015
pls i will like to know more about becoming an actuary. As a major mathematics student at what level would u start the exam and is like how much. THANKS
Re: Mathematics In Nigeria- The Way Forward by Nobody: 9:47pm On Feb 15, 2015
At Tuition.com.ng, You can Find Personal Tutors to come and Tutor You when it is convenient for you. You will receive your Quality Lectures and Prep Tests at Home and not have to fight through the insane traffic anymore.

Regards

The Tution.com.ng

TextBooks.com.ng

IcanLectures.com.ng

Members of The Oladoye Kayode Group of Companies
Re: Mathematics In Nigeria- The Way Forward by opendo21(m): 10:55pm On Feb 15, 2015
Ihinmi:
pls i will like to know more about becoming an actuary. As a major mathematics student at what level would u start the exam and is like how much. THANKS
Well, if you've done a proper course in probability theory up to like 300 level, you can start. As for the cost of exam fees and materials, that would depend on which society you want to join either SOA or IFOA (U.K). But total cost for registration and exams should be around 50k - 60k,that is if you apply for reduced rate
Re: Mathematics In Nigeria- The Way Forward by Ihinmi(m): 11:09pm On Feb 15, 2015
opendo21:
Well, if you've done a proper course in probability theory up to like 300 level, you can start. As for the cost of exam fees and materials, that would depend on which society you want to join either SOA or IFOA (U.K). But total cost for registration and exams should be around 50k - 60k,that is if you apply for reduced rate
A B.Sc mathematics holder will start at which level, between SOA and IFOA which is more recognise in nigeria or which one would you recognise for someone. THANKS
Re: Mathematics In Nigeria- The Way Forward by opendo21(m): 8:17am On Feb 16, 2015
Ihinmi:

A B.Sc mathematics holder will start at which level, between SOA and IFOA which is more recognise in nigeria or which one would you recognise for someone. THANKS
Both are world class, it just depends on which catches your fancy, I am not too familiar with the SOA although i know they have Exam P, Financial Maths e.t.c. , but with the institute, it's 15 exams to be a Fellow and 12 to be an Associate although 3 of these are practical exams. So if you can go the whole log and you find statistics interesting, you can go for it. But don't go in for the money or you will be immensely disappointed. My 2 cents

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Betty Irabor & Ezekwesili To Help Undergraduate Who Sells Crayfish (Pics) / Is This A Norm In Nigeria Among Bosses And Masters?? / How Much Is The Starting Salary Of A Dentist In Nigeria?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 59
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.