Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,735 members, 7,817,022 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 11:16 PM

Mathematics In Nigeria- The Way Forward - Career (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Mathematics In Nigeria- The Way Forward (34315 Views)

Bankers Whats The Way Forward?? / Best Paid Degrees In Nigeria (THE BITTER TRUTH) / Basic Medical Science In Nigeria - The Way Forward? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Mathematics In Nigeria- The Way Forward by samfibby(m): 6:51am On Aug 01, 2013
Your reward is ur degree. Start from there. I hate people who want to be spoon fed all the way. Do something and u would realize that all courses can be applied in many areas of life. Moving on.
Re: Mathematics In Nigeria- The Way Forward by opendo21(m): 7:03am On Aug 01, 2013
vislabraye:

Actuary exams ? Expantiate on it.
Well, those are the exams organised by the Society of Actuaries (U.S) or the Faculty and Institute of actuaries (U.K). Just a few of us writing here in Nigeria. But if you are interested you can learn more here. www.actuaries.org.uk

1 Like

Re: Mathematics In Nigeria- The Way Forward by narttis1: 7:05am On Aug 01, 2013
OP, i believe mathematics is one of the best programs you can ever study as an undergrad. there are so many opportunities out there for the math graduate.
finance is increasingly becoming too complicated for mainstream finance, people with strong mathematical backgrounds are now needed in finance more than ever. you can also go into IT, Actuarial science (an interesting place to be if you love math), energy (your skills in optimization is very valuable here), investment banking (don't go there if your math is not good.
its a mathematicians world bro...
Re: Mathematics In Nigeria- The Way Forward by opendo21(m): 7:10am On Aug 01, 2013
vislabraye:

Actuary exams ? Expantiate on it.
Well, those are the exams organised by the Society of Actuaries (U.S) or the Faculty and Institute of actuaries (U.K). Just a few of us writing here in Nigeria. But if you are interested you can learn more here. www.actuaries.org.uk/students
Re: Mathematics In Nigeria- The Way Forward by Cmfrt001(f): 7:25am On Aug 01, 2013
Dey can teach u know
Re: Mathematics In Nigeria- The Way Forward by coretechng1(m): 7:31am On Aug 01, 2013
Symphony007: Wow!! I'm in awe of you mathematicians o. [b]In high school i feared maths more than the devil. [/b]Upon graduation, i taught i was free But now i'm studying revenue law and it has come back to hunt me. I wish i could borrow your math skills.
Hehehe grin grin grin grin
Re: Mathematics In Nigeria- The Way Forward by Michael33(m): 7:45am On Aug 01, 2013
Mathematics!, a course dat scare ladies, jst finish well @ least wif a 2:1 n d sky is ya starting point!, bt dat aint enough, Go 4 yo msc immediately n u r gud 2go......in any petrochemical(fluid dynamic),space centre(space n dynamic), naval base(hydro dynamics), consultancy(optimizatn),lecturing,n.......any oda office dat require calculatn!......stay in touch!, b4 I 4get

integrate (e)^(x)^2........will b waiting
Re: Mathematics In Nigeria- The Way Forward by apostle007(m): 7:48am On Aug 01, 2013
Xtargold: This question has been on my mind for a very long time.Are there really job opportunities for graduates of Mathematics......i mean a place u can really apply what u read in school?I'm tired of hearing things like ['a mathematician can work any where'......anywhere as what?

You come across as someone whose first course choice is not mathematics, hence your predicament. I advise that you change your attitude towards mathematics as a whole; then, you will see job opportunities where you didn't see them before.

To your success.
Re: Mathematics In Nigeria- The Way Forward by johnstar(m): 7:49am On Aug 01, 2013
Xtargold: This question has been on my mind for a very long time.Are there really job opportunities for graduates of Mathematics......i mean a place u can really apply what u read in school?I'm tired of hearing things like 'a mathematician can work any where'......anywhere as what?
as a sex freak cheesy
Re: Mathematics In Nigeria- The Way Forward by azeezengr(m): 7:51am On Aug 01, 2013
I am graduate of Electrical Engineering have being on the practical field for the past 11 years, it is rewarding and has given me a lot of exposure and opportunities which among is the fact that "SELF CONFIDENCE AND INTEREST" are two major ingredients necessary for your career success. I state this first to avoid lousy comments of some nairalanders who does not have patience to read and understand before reacting. Having said this, to the poster of this thread, there are 1001 ways of applying knowledge obtain from studying Mathematics(and any other courses), virtually in all fields of study, APPLICATION OF KNOWLEDGE EARNED is what brings results, solves problems, gives satisfaction and fulfilment of goals.

Finally, my brother if I may state here that if I should have opportunity to choose a course to study again MATHEMATICS SHALL BE FIRST CHOICE BECAUSE OF ITS VARIOUS APPLICATIONS. Research and find area of application you are interested in and you are made.

2 Likes

Re: Mathematics In Nigeria- The Way Forward by Nobody: 7:54am On Aug 01, 2013
I own and run a research firm. See profile to view our website. Contact me via 0803 282 2469 let's discuss a new biz opportunity revolving arnd maths.

Xtargold: This question has been on my mind for a very long time.Are there really job opportunities for graduates of Mathematics......i mean a place u can really apply what u read in school?I'm tired of hearing things like 'a mathematician can work any where'......anywhere as what?

1 Like

Re: Mathematics In Nigeria- The Way Forward by tblackE61(m): 8:00am On Aug 01, 2013
pLs. Where can a person who study GEOGRAPHY workspls i need answers
Re: Mathematics In Nigeria- The Way Forward by ibkgab001: 8:21am On Aug 01, 2013
Work in church as finiacial secretary
Work in bank as 419 money carter
Work in school as upgrader of points
Work in MTN GLO as carder hackers
Work in construction company as tanker drivers
Work in gas sector as money launders
Re: Mathematics In Nigeria- The Way Forward by BankuTilapia: 8:33am On Aug 01, 2013
Wot is wrong wit being a maths teacher grin cheesy
Re: Mathematics In Nigeria- The Way Forward by BankuTilapia: 8:35am On Aug 01, 2013
tblackE61: pLs. Where can a person who study GEOGRAPHY workspls i need answers

Can work with geography students
Re: Mathematics In Nigeria- The Way Forward by Nobody: 8:35am On Aug 01, 2013
Chibenze: As am writing dis post now am currently study mathematics in the university, personally i dnt believe their is no job (no matter the course you are studying), i would have given u fews reason to the best of my knowledge but dat will take much of my time, i dnt like teaching if u tink dats where u end ur career as a mathematician, ones am tru wit my studies am going fully into d computer world. Mathematics is really universal my friend, tink positive thier are 1001 (one thousand and one) place you as a mathematicien can work. Dat my little contribution. PEACE BE ONTO MEN
also visit my blog for educational tips http://chibenze-alltopic..com

If ASUU sees this one, it'll go for a 3yr strike...kai kai.
Re: Mathematics In Nigeria- The Way Forward by 7thCANON: 8:47am On Aug 01, 2013
OP, the issue is that what matters isn't your knowledge, but how to apply your knowledge to real life situations. Having a Mathematics background gives you good analytical capabilities so you'll need to see which area of life you'll be able to apply these skills: Engineering, Economics, Energy, Environment, finance, geology etc. What our university does not do is teaching us how these skills can be applied in real life. I'm afraid, you'll need to learn this yourself. You may need to take some time out, may be some months, to explore a field where you can apply your theoretical knowledge. Diverting to applied statistics/econometrics may help since they are more applicable to real life. The world of today needs people with multidisciplinary background and expertise, so expand your horizon. Otherwise, the classroom may likely be your destination. Cheers!

1 Like

Re: Mathematics In Nigeria- The Way Forward by OmniSparrow: 8:48am On Aug 01, 2013
Chibenze: As am writing dis post now am currently study mathematics in the university, personally i dnt believe their is no job (no matter the course you are studying), i would have given u fews reason to the best of my knowledge but dat will take much of my time, i dnt like teaching if u tink dats where u end ur career as a mathematician, ones am tru wit my studies am going fully into d computer world. Mathematics is really universal my friend, tink positive thier are 1001 (one thousand and one) place you as a mathematicien can work. Dat my little contribution. PEACE BE ONTO MEN
The fact that you are supposedly studying mathematics does not mean that your use of english should be so poor.
Re: Mathematics In Nigeria- The Way Forward by psquarex(m): 8:53am On Aug 01, 2013
I studied Mathematics/Computer Science FUTMinna. I believe mathematics is a platform 4u to launch into any carrier of ur choice. U'll always be relevant.
Re: Mathematics In Nigeria- The Way Forward by Ojemedad: 8:53am On Aug 01, 2013
atlwireles:

Why is he kidding With the level of computation analysis involved in today's extraction of oil, yes is the answer. Most IOC will actually hire a mathematician in certain areas of well technology before a geologist or a Petroleum engineer. Don't ask me why. Is just the reality today in the oil business.
Bro u must be high on something,a mathematician who does not have a knowledge of the subsurface will be employed before a geoscientist.

The only place they can be considered is if they have a M.sc in geophysics and focus on modelling using mathematical methods.

1 Like

Re: Mathematics In Nigeria- The Way Forward by Jonwesley(m): 8:54am On Aug 01, 2013
Yes, the options are many for a maths graduate in terms of job opportunities. The great advantage is mathematicians are fewer in number becos those who are good or love the course are just a few. In some levels you can find about 10-15 studying the course and at times only 4-5 of such students graduate at the end. So imagine having few mathematicians applying for a position to which only mathematicians are qualified to apply. The chances are higher for you to be employed than when you have all categories of people applying for a position.

1 Like

Re: Mathematics In Nigeria- The Way Forward by Burger01(m): 9:12am On Aug 01, 2013
Maths!! Damn it's cumbersome!!

grin

Re: Mathematics In Nigeria- The Way Forward by pseudonomer: 9:21am On Aug 01, 2013
opendo21: Well just think deeply about it, follow your heart. I was at this stage too during service and was also writing the ICAN exams but I just didn't have passion for all those book-keeping stuff (sorry to all accountants,but that's how I see it) someone introduced me to the actuarial exams, I did a little research and that just clicked it for me. It's tough but very rewarding as you can work ANYWHERE in the world once you are a qualified actuary.

Please, can you give ♍ƺ the link to the Actuarial Exams? Thanks
Re: Mathematics In Nigeria- The Way Forward by lymelyte(m): 9:41am On Aug 01, 2013
opendo21: Well just think deeply about it, follow your heart. I was at this stage too during service and was also writing the ICAN exams but I just didn't have passion for all those book-keeping stuff (sorry to all accountants,but that's how I see it) someone introduced me to the actuarial exams, I did a little research and that just clicked it for me. It's tough but very rewarding as you can work ANYWHERE in the world once you are a qualified actuary.
Dude,can you buttress more on this actuarial exams. I have interest in it.hope to hear from you soon
Re: Mathematics In Nigeria- The Way Forward by jpphilips(m): 9:51am On Aug 01, 2013
starlight®®:

No joke, reservoir geophysicist deals with large volumes of figures that's why maths grad do fit in

guy, oil and gas operations are mostly specialized operations, it is not about who fits in but who gets the job.
do you know any reservoir engineer in exxon with Bsc maths? that is where you should focus and stop peddling conjectures.

next you will tell us about one bsc agriculture who is dreaming to be a method engineer with Total because his olodo lecturer told him you can work 'anywhere', where the heck is ''anywhere'' in Nigeria?

FYI most res. engrs I know are hardly natural scientists, they are mostly earth scientists or specialized engineers.

some students like talking drunk, you will be suprised that the bingo that made the claim up there hasn't seen one in his life.

1 Like

Re: Mathematics In Nigeria- The Way Forward by bigtt76(f): 10:05am On Aug 01, 2013
Teacher to Student: Correct boy. We will leave the answer like this for now until Government pay us well.

Hahaha

Burger01: Maths!! Damn it's cumbersome!!

grin

Re: Mathematics In Nigeria- The Way Forward by Gwekzy: 10:10am On Aug 01, 2013
re u 4 real? Wat is dis?
Re: Mathematics In Nigeria- The Way Forward by mbhs139(m): 10:30am On Aug 01, 2013
Why is everybody's opinion so skewed towards the oil and gas companies as if anyone that studies mathematics would just stroll in and be given a job? Why is no one looking at the possibility of Epidemiology? Though, that sounds weird in this part of the world but I tell you... Well, I studied mathematics, graduated with a 3rd class but today I own my own consultancy firm in HSE, Risk Mgt & Public Health Research (Epidemiology option).

1 Like

Re: Mathematics In Nigeria- The Way Forward by Burger01(m): 11:15am On Aug 01, 2013
bigtt76: Teacher to Student: Correct boy. We will leave the answer like this for now until Government pay us well.

Hahaha

grin
Re: Mathematics In Nigeria- The Way Forward by turl(m): 11:33am On Aug 01, 2013
mbhs139: Why is everybody's opinion so skewed towards the oil and gas companies as if anyone that studies mathematics would just stroll in and be given a job? Why is no one looking at the possibility of Epidemiology? Though, that sounds weird in this part of the world but I tell you... Well, I studied mathematics, graduated with a 3rd class but today I own my own consultancy firm in HSE, Risk Mgt & Public Health Research (Epidemiology option).

offtopic mate, are you by any chance an old boy? (mbhs?)
Re: Mathematics In Nigeria- The Way Forward by kevodre: 1:42pm On Aug 01, 2013

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

How Much Is The Starting Salary Of A Dentist In Nigeria? / Betty Irabor & Ezekwesili To Help Undergraduate Who Sells Crayfish (Pics) / Is This A Norm In Nigeria Among Bosses And Masters??

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 50
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.