Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,755 members, 7,824,162 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 01:44 AM

Why Do Some Churches Use Their Founders' Pictures On Billboards - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Why Do Some Churches Use Their Founders' Pictures On Billboards (1391 Views)

Why Are Some Churches So Competitive? / Some Churches Carry-out Pregnancy Test Before Wedding: Why? / Anointing Oil Used By Some Churches: Wrong Or Right. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Do Some Churches Use Their Founders' Pictures On Billboards by bennieman: 10:34pm On Jul 12, 2013
There has been a rapid increase in the number of churches in recent times. Consequently, their posters and billboards adorn all nooks and crannies of virtually every city.

I recently came across one of them and I began to wonder the rationale behind the display of their pastors' pictures.

I want to believe that the Almighty God is the one we worship and nobody should attempt to share His glory. Given, God's picture cannot be placed on the posters but must a picture be there?

Dear people of God, what is your take on this issue?
Re: Why Do Some Churches Use Their Founders' Pictures On Billboards by kufre2010: 10:45pm On Jul 12, 2013
They are protecting their business
Re: Why Do Some Churches Use Their Founders' Pictures On Billboards by alexleo(m): 10:58pm On Jul 12, 2013
@OP,
Its quite pathetic to see this ugly development in the end time church. In most of these churches, attention is on pastor whereas the bible told us to look unto Jesus. The pastors are enjoying the fame and self exhibition that's why they can't say no to such things. Next is their deceived members will quickly look for a bible verse that they ll misapply to support their actions. For me, our heavenly race is all about JESUS. Let's remember the end time churches in our prayers. Let's also speak out against such practices if its happening where we are. Thanks.
Re: Why Do Some Churches Use Their Founders' Pictures On Billboards by sylve11: 11:09pm On Jul 12, 2013
The God if of . . . .is my God. lolgrin cool
Re: Why Do Some Churches Use Their Founders' Pictures On Billboards by tpia5: 12:08am On Jul 13, 2013
because they want to.
Re: Why Do Some Churches Use Their Founders' Pictures On Billboards by bennieman: 5:12am On Jul 13, 2013
I asked a colleague of mine who happens to be a pastor this question and he told me that they put faces to the churches because some people may identify the churches better that way. He said they might have watched the pastor on the television and subsequently have a need to locate the church.

That reason sounded very ridiculous to me and i was not pacified by that lame excuse. He later agreed that he had some reservations on the issue.

Some of these posters are more ridiculous than the others. I saw one yesterday that not only contained the picture of the pastor and his pastor mrs, but also his little childrenā€˜s picture. I was tempted to upload some of them but later reconsidered so that it will not degenerate to name calling.
Re: Why Do Some Churches Use Their Founders' Pictures On Billboards by alexleo(m): 6:22am On Jul 13, 2013
tpia@:
because they want to.

But is it proper? Do you see the pictures of company Managing Directors on their bill boards? You advertise to promote your company and their product and not the owner of the company and his wife. As christians we advertise or promote Jesus and his word and this does not mean putting the so called picture of Jesus that we see today. It is entertainment artistes that advertise themselves on billboards along side promoting their album/movie because the entertaiment business is all about the artiste and his fame. Pastors who are doing this are simply seeking for fame and this should not be so. We are not called to seek for fame but to lift Jesus higher for the world to see. Jesus didn't seek for fame, he simply was doing his work and fame came to him. Same goes with the apostles. We never saw them seeking for fame rather they just concentrated on their calling and fame came to them. That's how it should be. This heavenly business is all about JESUS and not us. God bless you.
Re: Why Do Some Churches Use Their Founders' Pictures On Billboards by Nobody: 11:10am On Jul 13, 2013
They do that to show who owns the company.
Re: Why Do Some Churches Use Their Founders' Pictures On Billboards by PastorKun(m): 1:54pm On Jul 13, 2013
alexleo:

But is it proper? Do you see the pictures of company Managing Directors on their bill boards? You advertise to promote your company and their product and not the owner of the company and his wife. As christians we advertise or promote Jesus and his word and this does not mean putting the so called picture of Jesus that we see today. It is entertainment artistes that advertise themselves on billboards along side promoting their album/movie because the entertaiment business is all about the artiste and his fame. Pastors who are doing this are simply seeking for fame and this should not be so. We are not called to seek for fame but to lift Jesus higher for the world to see. Jesus didn't seek for fame, he simply was doing his work and fame came to him. Same goes with the apostles. We never saw them seeking for fame rather they just concentrated on their calling and fame came to them. That's how it should be. This heavenly business is all about JESUS and not us. God bless you.

Honestly you make a lot of sense a times when you are not defending some of the false doctrines in apostolic faith.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Some Churches Use Their Founders' Pictures On Billboards by DrummaBoy(m): 2:51pm On Jul 13, 2013
Its disgusting to say the least

And how do U argue against those who say church has become business centre. The face on d billboard is the promotional picture!

(1) (Reply)

God, The Narrator And Creation: Who Was The Narrator? / RCCG 62nd Annual Convention:4-10th August:the Holy Spirit / A Divine Warning Is Coming In The Future: No 2 (concluding Part)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.