Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,578 members, 7,812,882 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 09:16 PM

Too many immigrants to South Africa - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Too many immigrants to South Africa (1390 Views)

Open Letter From A Nigerian Lady To South Africans / Pictures Of Illegal Immigrants To Be Deported From America / Islam, Boston Marathon, And Immigrants To The US (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Too many immigrants to South Africa by panafrican(m): 3:50am On Jul 13, 2013
angry
Why don't we let Black South Africans breath first before pouring into their country? We help them fight apartheid , there is no doubt about that, but is this enough reason for millions of Africans to start rushing to this country since day one of the end of Apartheid?
When you help somebody, you give him a chance to take a step back and say thanks, don't you ?

3 Likes

Re: Too many immigrants to South Africa by Mynd44: 5:12am On Jul 13, 2013
What is this poo this one wrote here. Did the people flocking there issues themselves entrance Visas?

If you wanna control your population, don't issues Visa to outsiders.
Re: Too many immigrants to South Africa by tpia5: 2:48pm On Jul 13, 2013
Is there anywhere you dont see nigerians?

Kenya itself is an extension of nigeria.
Re: Too many immigrants to South Africa by Mynd44: 3:54pm On Jul 13, 2013
tpia@:

Do you live in Kenya?
Re: Too many immigrants to South Africa by tpia5: 5:37pm On Jul 13, 2013
Do you need my address?
Re: Too many immigrants to South Africa by panafrican(m): 5:33am On Jul 14, 2013
tpia@:

and Cote d'Ivoire is now an extension of Mali,Burkina Faso, Togo, Benin and Senegal.
Re: Too many immigrants to South Africa by panafrican(m): 5:37am On Jul 14, 2013
Mynd_44: What is this poo this one wrote here. Did the people flocking there issues themselves entrance Visas?

If you wanna control your population, don't issues Visa to outsiders.
We are kind of invading them, this is too much ! Remember how Nigeria kicked out millions of immigrants in the 1980s.

1 Like

Re: Too many immigrants to South Africa by Mynd44: 9:01am On Jul 14, 2013
panafrican: We are kind of invading them, this is too much ! Remember how Nigeria kicked out millions of immigrants in the 1980s.
They should stop issuing visas
Re: Too many immigrants to South Africa by paniki(m): 10:56am On Jul 14, 2013
Mynd_44:
They should stop issuing visas

You only need a visa if you enter at a border post, seaport or airport. Unfortunately most immigrants choose to jump the border. A few years ago the SA government offered amnesty to Zimbabweans to regularise their stay in SA, most of Zimbabweans flooded their consulate to apply for a Zim passport so they could use it for SA papers as our home affairs office required - proof that they came into the country without a passport, therefore no visa.

Now you might say that SA should protect its borders but I'll refer you to USA where they over protect the US-Mexico border but it hasn't helped them.

1 Like

Re: Too many immigrants to South Africa by Mynd44: 11:04am On Jul 14, 2013
paniki:

You only need a visa if you enter at a border post, seaport or airport. Unfortunately most immigrants choose to jump the border. A few years ago the SA government offered amnesty to Zimbabweans to regularise their stay in SA, most of Zimbabweans flooded their consulate to apply for a Zim passport so they could use it for SA papers as our home affairs office required - proof that they came into the country without a passport, therefore no visa.

Now you might say that SA should protect its borders but I'll refer you to USA where they over protect the US-Mexico border but it hasn't helped them.
I understand your feeling but what else would we say? The borders are porous and they need to be monitored more effectively.

The Americans see the problems with their borders but they don't because of that give up and SA should not give up either
Re: Too many immigrants to South Africa by paniki(m): 2:00pm On Jul 14, 2013
Mynd_44:
I understand your feeling but what else would we say? The borders are porous and they need to be monitored more effectively.

The Americans see the problems with their borders but they don't because of that give up and SA should not give up either

USA overprotects the US-Mexico border but US is still flooded by illegal Mexicans. OP could've easily said that Mexicans should give America break by not pouring into America, you would then reply by saying that America should not issue visas but when that's correct you would then say that America should work harder to insulate their borders. Why not tell Mexicans to just stay in Mexico?
Re: Too many immigrants to South Africa by panafrican(m): 3:50pm On Jul 14, 2013
The best way for the US to stop Mexicans from pouring into America is America investing in Mexico and paying reasonable hourly rates just like in many US states.Also American farmers can for instance buy thousands of farm land in Mexico for agricultural purposes.
Re: Too many immigrants to South Africa by Mynd44: 3:54pm On Jul 14, 2013
paniki:

USA overprotects the US-Mexico border but US is still flooded by illegal Mexicans. OP could've easily said that Mexicans should give America break by not pouring into America, you would then reply by saying that America should not issue visas but when that's correct you would then say that America should work harder to insulate their borders. Why not tell Mexicans to just stay in Mexico?
Why blame those going to find a better life for themselves? You have a good house and you should learn to protect it better.

More money more problems remember?
Re: Too many immigrants to South Africa by texanomaly(f): 4:46pm On Jul 14, 2013
paniki:

The US/Mexico border is not overprotected. That is the problem. It is actually the opposite. I live in a border state. There is not enough coverage on the US/Mexico border. That particular border runs along four of the largest American states, and thousands of miles. It would cost billions to protect it properly. Our border patrol is under funded and staffed for such an task. Our national debt is already in the Trillions. Perhaps with less government waste and better budgeting, we could make a dent. It is not likely to happen though.

South Africa's border is similar in expanse. Protecting a border that large is a enormous undertaking. I don't pretend to know the political or economic climate there, but based on the the knowledge I have about American border problems, I can see how it would be difficult to protect such a border.
Re: Too many immigrants to South Africa by Mynd44: 4:50pm On Jul 14, 2013
^^
So would you say it is the fault of the Mexican? Or the fault of those whose border os not protected.

I do not support illegal migration but when you have something worth protecting, you should protect it
Re: Too many immigrants to South Africa by texanomaly(f): 5:16pm On Jul 14, 2013
Mynd_44: ^^
So would you say it is the fault of the Mexican? Or the fault of those whose border os not protected.

I do not support illegal migration but when you have something worth protecting, you should protect it

You know that is a good question. It is a debate that has raged in these border states for a very long time. I believe it is our responsibility to protect our borders. Especially in light of the terrorist target the US has on it's back. This problem has no easy fix though. To be honest it is mind boggling.

On the other hand, I can see the draw for these people looking for a better life. The US, in some ways promotes illegal immigration. For example, we offer free healthcare to anyone who walks into a county hospital. They are not aloud to refuse service to anyone. If a pregnant woman gives birth in the US, that child is automatically a citizen, even if the mother is not. That child automatically qualifies for medicaid, because of the financial need. While I pay for it with my taxes. I, on the other hand am a citizen, and must purchase my own health insurance and pay what the insurance company does not. Any child, citizen or not, is given a free public education. We even provide a bilingual teacher. If I lived in the conditions many Mexicans endure, I can't honestly say I would not attempt a late night border crossing to better my family's situation.

Like I said, it is a conundrum. I admit I don't have the answers.

I feel we may be derailing here though. You should know better Mynd. wink
Re: Too many immigrants to South Africa by paniki(m): 9:20pm On Jul 14, 2013
I don't see how doing something that is internationally accepted to be unlawful is ok just because there's an opportunity to do it. It's like a stranger walking into my house and then taking a nap on my couch simply because I left the door unlocked. He might not steal anything, but going into my house uninvited is trespassing. Maybe I'm missing something here.

I don't understand why a country should take blame for not protecting its borders, the people who force a country to protect its borders are the ones who should be blamed. I don't know much about the US-Canada border but I suspect it much like the SA-Botswana border whereby most of it is just mountain range without fencing and hardly patrolled, but it's very unlikely for an illegal Botswana national to be found in SA.
Re: Too many immigrants to South Africa by 14(m): 5:30pm On Jul 15, 2013
Let's not compare USA-Mexico border and SA-Africa borders. South Africa has more than 40 countries that habe toworry of. Most of foreigners are not documented. We have more than 4 millions zimbos, 1.8m Nigerians. 2 millions mozambiques, 1 million ethiopians, 1 milliom somalians. For some reasons there are few kenyeans. The whole SADC regard SA as their home too. Some pregnant women choose to jump the border illegally and go and give birth in SA. This put strain in the SA health department, which ends up caretaring For other women from neighbouring. You just have to be in SA to understand the problem. Its illegal immigrant every where. Some end up doin Funny staffs just to survive, but they end up in prison od dead. Very soon the prisons will be filled by foreigners

1 Like

Re: Too many immigrants to South Africa by Horus(m): 6:55pm On Jul 15, 2013
Do South Africa accept highly skilled immigrant?
Re: Too many immigrants to South Africa by panafrican(m): 10:50pm On Jul 15, 2013
Horus: Do South Africa accept highly skilled immigrant?
Just like any other country they sure do. But the so-called skilled workers should not go there and show disdain to those south Africans who were denied opportunities under the apartheid regime for centuries. Wisdom would advise that you do not become a sort of dark skinned with a white supremacist mind out there.
Re: Too many immigrants to South Africa by smokie(m): 10:45am On Jul 16, 2013
I don't care too much about foreign nationals in South Africa, especially those from Zimbabwe, Botswana, Mozambique and to a lesser extent Zambia and Malawi...that's our kinfolk. The one's who irritate are Nigerians, Somalians, Pakistanis and Bangladeshis who demand all sorts of special treatment, and even use South Africa as a staging post for their entry into the US or EU (mostly UK). The day these people start demanding citizenship is the day South Africans will stand up and ask that the government expel them.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

A Village Where Dead Relatives Are Smoked With Their Fat Used As Cooking Oil / Mh-17’s Unnecessary Mystery[/ / Allepo Would Have Been Safe If Annexed By Israel

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.