Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,941 members, 7,817,759 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 06:48 PM

George Zimmerman Acquitted In Trayvon Martin Murder Trial - Foreign Affairs (23) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / George Zimmerman Acquitted In Trayvon Martin Murder Trial (27946 Views)

Senator George Theuri Posts Half-Unclad Picture Of Him And His Wife On Facebook / Woolwich Murder Trial: Michael Adebolajo And Michael Adebowale Found Guilty / Anders Breivik Pleads Not Guilty At Norway Murder Trial (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (20) (21) (22) (23) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: George Zimmerman Acquitted In Trayvon Martin Murder Trial by birdman(m): 12:22am On Jul 26, 2013
Van snickers:

Black on Black Crime is a topic everyone in the Black community wants to avoid. Several Black men are murdered by men of their own Race and no one says anything. A Black boy is killed by Hispanic, and the Whole black community jumps up and down.

After Watching Zimmerman's interview with Hannity, my opinion that Zimmerman deserved his "not Guilty" verdict has intensified.

Sorry, but talking about black on black crime makes no sense. Thats like saying OBL killed 3000 people on 9/11, but lets focus on the 100,000 people killed in american on american crime. The issue is not so much the crime - that happens all the time - its the fact that you can get away with it. Until you show me a black on black crime where the police let the killer walk, stfu.

4 Likes

Re: George Zimmerman Acquitted In Trayvon Martin Murder Trial by Nobody: 12:54am On Jul 26, 2013
birdman:

Sorry, but talking about black on black crime makes no sense. Thats like saying OBL killed 3000 people on 9/11, but lets focus on the 100,000 people killed in american on american crime. The issue is not so much the crime - that happens all the time - its the fact that you can get away with it. Until you show me a black on black crime where the police let the killer walk, stfu.

Good point.
Re: George Zimmerman Acquitted In Trayvon Martin Murder Trial by Vansnickers: 1:31am On Jul 26, 2013
birdman:

Zimmerman was found not guilty by a Jury, the Police didn't let Zimmerman go.

1 Like

Re: George Zimmerman Acquitted In Trayvon Martin Murder Trial by birdman(m): 3:18am On Jul 26, 2013
Van snickers:

Zimmerman was found not guilty by a Jury, the Police didn't let Zimmerman go.

Actually the police let him go. The reason Zimmerman was later arraigned was because of protests to the DA's office. Of course, if we were waiting on your type, Zimmerman would never have been exposed. And so what if the jury acquitted him. Juries let murderers go after they lynched and hung black men back in the day. Does that make the jury right? Judges can be bought, juries can be racist. It doesnt change justice.

You still havent shown me a black on black crime where police let the killer go.

2 Likes

Re: George Zimmerman Acquitted In Trayvon Martin Murder Trial by Nobody: 3:53am On Jul 26, 2013
Don't forget about the legendary Emmett Till incident.

My god I hate the south so much...
Re: George Zimmerman Acquitted In Trayvon Martin Murder Trial by khiaa(f): 5:28am On Jul 26, 2013
CAMEROONPRIDE: go fck ur white god. skank

Wow!! so much anger. No, I will leave the white god fcking up to you, you seem to be so good at it. smiley
Re: George Zimmerman Acquitted In Trayvon Martin Murder Trial by Nobody: 5:57am On Jul 26, 2013
KidStranglehold: How are AA's doing in South Africa?
To my experience...South Africans have a problem with AA's.
I posted videos of African Americans moving South Africa and yet no civil war, but AA's living good.

Its either you know how AAs are being treated in SA or you don't! If you're gonna speak ill of my country and my people at least be consistent!
Re: George Zimmerman Acquitted In Trayvon Martin Murder Trial by Nobody: 6:18am On Jul 26, 2013
Tumisang:

Its either you know how AAs are being treated in SA or you don't! If you're gonna speak ill of my country and my people at least be consistent!

1. Nobody was speaking ill of any country or people, reading....Try it. If I was, I would have insulted South Africa or South Africans. But I did not.
2. Just because I said South Africans have problems with AA's does not mean AA's are not doing well in South Africa. I asked if AA's are doing well in South Africa because based off the video I posted before about AA's moving to SOuth Africa it seemed they were doing well, I wanted to know how AA's are doing in South Africa today.
3. Isn't xenophobia a problem in South Africa Not saying xenophobia is bad thing, since I am a bit conservative. But I was talking about South Africans on the net and how AA's and them always got into their little tribal fights online. I noticed this on other sites. Of course I didn't say all South Africans.

No one is being inconsistent. And please don't get on me. You should get on some of these Nigerians. They're the ones who say the nastiest stuff about South Africans and South Africa.
https://www.nairaland.com/897396/where-south-africa-without-white
Re: George Zimmerman Acquitted In Trayvon Martin Murder Trial by Nobody: 7:11am On Jul 26, 2013
KidStranglehold:
3. But I was talking about South Africans on the net and how AA's and them always got into their little tribal fights online. I noticed this on other sites. Of course I didn't say all South Africans.

This was your original post - To my experience...Its mostly Nigerians(SOME), South Africans and Somalis who have a problem with AA's. Every other Africans seems to be alright from real life or the internet.

Notice how you only said "some" with Nigerians but used a blanket statement with South Africans and Somalis.
You should get on some of these Nigerians. They're the ones who say the nastiest stuff about South Africans and South Africa.
I've dealt with that four legged creature already. And no, I'm not trying to get on you. I just don't like it when people speak of things they know very little of...especially when those things involve my country.
Re: George Zimmerman Acquitted In Trayvon Martin Murder Trial by Nobody: 7:22am On Jul 26, 2013
Tumisang:
This was your original post - To my experience...Its mostly Nigerians(SOME), South Africans and Somalis who have a problem with AA's. Every other Africans seems to be alright from real life or the internet.

Notice how you only said "some" with Nigerians but used a blanket statement with South Africans and Somalis.

Okay. But I wasn't speaking ill of them. I admitted that AA's insult Africans too, doesn't mean I was speaking ill of them. I used the blanket statement for South Africans and Somalis because from what I've seen its been almost the majority for them from my experience. Again my experience. I don't know why that upset you. Cameroonpride said that AA's sometimes think they're superior to Africans and I didn't deny that. So again I don't get why you're getting upset with something as minor as this.

Tumisang:
I've dealt with that four legged creature already. And no, I'm not trying to get on you. I just don't like it when people speak of things they know very little of...especially when those things involve my country.

I never said or indicated that I was so knowledgeable on South Africa or South Africans. So your point doesn't fly with me. I was only speaking of my experience with South Africans on the internet.
Re: George Zimmerman Acquitted In Trayvon Martin Murder Trial by Nobody: 8:34am On Jul 26, 2013
KidStranglehold:

Okay. But I wasn't speaking ill of them. I admitted that AA's insult Africans too, doesn't mean I was speaking ill of them. I used the blanket statement for South Africans and Somalis because from what I've seen its been almost the majority for them from my experience. Again my experience. I don't know why that upset you. I was only speaking of my experience with South Africans on the internet.

Thanks for clarifying that. Nah man, I'm not upset...well, not anymore.
Re: George Zimmerman Acquitted In Trayvon Martin Murder Trial by Nobody: 8:40am On Jul 26, 2013
Tumisang:

Thanks for clarifying that. Nah man, I'm not upset...well, not anymore.

No problem smiley

When I said about South Africans I wasn't trying to intentionally insult them.
Re: George Zimmerman Acquitted In Trayvon Martin Murder Trial by biolabee(m): 8:42am On Jul 26, 2013
Defender of ZA pride.grin.
Good to know all is well
Re: George Zimmerman Acquitted In Trayvon Martin Murder Trial by biolabee(m): 4:30pm On Jul 29, 2013
Some more shocking news

Amerika.. The Land of Paranoid Gun-Madt Folks
But people still love ya grin

A gunman holding hostages in an apartment block near Miami in Florida killed six people before being shot dead by police, officials say.
Pedro Vargas, 42, who lived in the residential complex with his elderly mother, was described as a body-building loner.
Officers stormed the block of flats in Hialeah, north of Miami, on Saturday morning after an hours-long stand-off.
Two hostages were freed unharmed, police said.
Five of the victims were found inside the complex. Another man was killed while walking across a street outside.
A neighbour said Vargas was an anti-social type who liked to work out his anger by lifting weights.
"He'd just say this was the only thing that would keep him normal, pulling out all the anger in the gym," Jorge Bagos told the Associated Press news agency.
Mr Bagos said the gunman had expressed frustration over bad experiences with women and losing all his hair from steroid use.
"He said he'd rather be by himself, that women were no good," Mr Bagos said.
Police were called after shots were fired on Friday evening.
They said Vargas set his apartment on fire. When the building manager Italo Pisciotti, 79, and his wife, Samira, 69, noticed the smoke and went to investigate, he shot them dead.
He then began firing from his balcony, killing Carlos Javier Gavilanes, 33, who neighbours said was returning home from his son's boxing practice.
Then he stormed into another apartment, shooting dead a family of three: Patricio Simono, 64, Merly Niebles, 51, and her 17-year-old daughter, Priscilla Perez.
Vargas then barricaded himself in a flat and took two people hostage.
Police moved in after almost eight hours of negotiations, local media said.
"They made the decision to go in there and save and rescue the hostages," Sgt Eddie Rodriguez told the Associated Press.
A 9mm pistol was found at the scene.
Police say there was no clear motive for the shooting and they are still investigating the circumstances.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-23476888
Re: George Zimmerman Acquitted In Trayvon Martin Murder Trial by coogar: 4:51pm On Jul 29, 2013
Van snickers:

Black on Black Crime is a topic everyone in the Black community wants to avoid. Several Black men are murdered by men of their own Race and no one says anything. A Black boy is killed by Hispanic, and the Whole black community jumps up and down.

After Watching Zimmerman's interview with Hannity, my opinion that Zimmerman deserved his "not Guilty" verdict has intensified.

i wonder if this intensified "not guilty" opinion would have been the same if trayvon martin was your son.
Re: George Zimmerman Acquitted In Trayvon Martin Murder Trial by Vansnickers: 10:29pm On Jul 29, 2013
coogar:

i wonder if this intensified "not guilty" opinion would have been the same if trayvon martin was your son.

Obviously, if Trayvon was my son; i won't be able to look at the case objectively, emotions and sentiment would've blinded my Logic. I feel the black community is attacking the wrong enemy, the enemy is the "stand your ground" law not Zimmerman.
Re: George Zimmerman Acquitted In Trayvon Martin Murder Trial by coogar: 10:34pm On Jul 29, 2013
Van snickers:

Obviously, if Trayvon was my son; i won't be able to look at the case objectively, emotions and sentiment would've blinded my Logic. I feel the black community is attacking the wrong enemy, the enemy is the "stand your ground" law not Zimmerman.

"stand your ground" did not load up a gun, cocked it and shoot an innocent boy. someone did - against the advice of policemen!
Re: George Zimmerman Acquitted In Trayvon Martin Murder Trial by Vansnickers: 11:10pm On Jul 29, 2013
coogar:

"stand your ground" did not load up a gun, cocked it and shoot an innocent boy. someone did - against the advice of policemen!

When Zimmerman was told to stop following Trayvon, he stopped.
Re: George Zimmerman Acquitted In Trayvon Martin Murder Trial by coogar: 11:19pm On Jul 29, 2013
Van snickers:

and his gun aimed itself and shot itself, right?
Re: George Zimmerman Acquitted In Trayvon Martin Murder Trial by biolabee(m): 5:47am On Jul 30, 2013
Van snickers:

He did not stop

Coogar the despatch recommended he did not follow but did not order
He was within his rights to follow

People die like flies in the states... na today?
Re: George Zimmerman Acquitted In Trayvon Martin Murder Trial by biolabee(m): 8:35am On Aug 10, 2013
Another unarmed black teen dies without trial sef
The black man is truly endangered... both from the whites and even black women grin

Graham killed in bathroom

Grand Jury Decides Not to Charge Officer Who Fatally Shot Unarmed Youth in Bronx

Eighteen months after a police officer barged into a private residence and fatally shot an unarmed teenager in the bathroom of the home, the criminal case against the officer has collapsed with a grand jury’s decision to not bring charges in the case.

The decision, which was announced on Thursday morning, was met with shock from the Bronx district attorney, Robert T. Johnson, and it prompted calls for a federal civil rights investigation and an independent prosecutor. By late afternoon, the United States attorney’s office in Manhattan said it would review the evidence to “determine whether there were any violations of the federal criminal civil rights laws.”

Nonetheless, the grand jury decision stirred anger and talk of racism among supporters and relatives of the shooting victim, Ramarley Graham, 18. Mr. Graham was black; the officer, Richard Haste, is white.

Narcotics officers had become suspicious of Mr. Graham as he walked through the Wakefield section of the Bronx with two friends. Officer Haste, 31, pursued the teenager, forcing his way into the apartment where Mr. Graham lived with his grandmother. The officer confronted him in the bathroom and shot him, after he mistakenly interpreted a gesture as Mr. Graham reaching for a gun, according to the officer’s account to the grand jury.

The resulting tensions in the community had been largely calmed after Officer Haste was initially indicted last year on manslaughter charges. But a judge dismissed the indictment in May, saying prosecutors had improperly precluded the grand jury from considering Officer Haste’s claim that he believed that Mr. Graham was armed, based on what he had heard fellow officers say over a police radio.

The judge’s ruling allowed prosecutors to seek a new indictment. On Tuesday, Officer Haste told grand jurors that he had repeatedly directed Mr. Graham to “show me your hands,” according to the officer’s lawyer, Stuart London.

Mr. London acknowledged on Thursday that “it was surprising” for a grand jury in the Bronx to vote against prosecuting an officer after such a shooting. “The grand jury should be commended for the courage they had in the face of such a tragedy to keep an open mind and allow my client to tell his side of the story,” he said.

Although the officer will not face state charges for the shooting, he still faces the federal inquiry and a disciplinary review in the Police Department; Mr. Graham’s family is also suing the police.

At a news conference outside the district attorney’s office on Thursday, Mr. Graham’s father, Frank Graham, said, “Everything just seems dark.”

Speaking before two dozen protesters and several politicians, the father said: “We have to ask ourselves this question: ‘Had Ramarley been white, would this have happened? Would they have run in a white person’s home?’ ”

The turn of events is all the more surprising because Bronx juries tend to be far more skeptical of police actions than juries elsewhere. About 16 officers are currently under indictment there on charges related to a widespread ticket-fixing scandal that has also cast a pall over State Supreme Court in the borough, as defense lawyers cite the scandal to suggest that the police cannot be trusted to testify truthfully.

District Attorney Johnson said in a statement: “We are surprised and shocked by the grand jury’s finding of no criminal liability in the death of Ramarley Graham. We are saddened for the family of the deceased young man and still believe that the court’s dismissal of the original indictment was overly cautious.”

For a time it had appeared that Officer Haste would be the first New York City officer to stand trial in criminal court for a fatal shooting in the line of duty since three officers were tried — and acquitted — in 2008 for the shooting of Sean Bell, who died in a hail of 50 police bullets outside a Queens club.

The shooting of Mr. Graham provoked widespread outrage amid allegations of racial profiling and criticism of the aggressive tactics that led the police to pursue him and force their way into his apartment after finding the door locked. Anger over the shooting is memorialized even in Google’s mapping function: the street view of Mr. Graham’s home on East 229th Street shows a white fence thickly decorated with votive candles and posters criticizing the Police Department (one compares it to the Ku Klux Klan).

Immediately after the shooting, Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg expressed “real concerns.” The police commissioner, Raymond W. Kelly, ordered a review of the street narcotics enforcement units, which are responsible for arresting low-level street dealers and their customers. Untrained in undercover work, they are limited to making arrests after they witness a drug sale, often observed from afar through binoculars. In the wake of Mr. Graham’s death, the focus of the squads shifted from narcotics work to youth gangs.

On Feb. 2, 2012, something about how Mr. Graham moved his hands near his waist, as he walked down the street, led the narcotics officers to suspect he might be armed, and as the surveillance progressed, two officers said over the radio that they had seen the butt of a gun.

Officer Haste said he was relying on what his fellow officers had observed as he rushed to the scene and broke into Mr. Graham’s residence.

He told the grand jury on Tuesday over five hours of testimony, according to his lawyer, how he had confronted Mr. Graham, who had darted into the bathroom. Mr. Graham ignored repeated warnings to show his hands, and Officer Haste came to think the teenager was reaching for a gun, the lawyer said.

“He believed he would be shot and killed,” Mr. London said of his client. It was then that Officer Haste fired a single, fatal shot.

“I think the grand jury found there were many opportunities for Ramarley Graham to end the situation with no violence and no shooting and he did not avail himself of those opportunities,” Mr. London said.

A bag of marijuana was later found in the toilet, and investigators think Mr. Graham’s final act was a bid to flush the drugs away. No gun was found.

Randy Leonard contributed reporting.
Re: George Zimmerman Acquitted In Trayvon Martin Murder Trial by Horus(m): 1:41pm On Aug 16, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=voIcRiWFR5k

Farrakhan speaks on George Zimmerman Verdict & Trayvon Martin
Re: George Zimmerman Acquitted In Trayvon Martin Murder Trial by Nobody: 7:55pm On Nov 02, 2013

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) ... (20) (21) (22) (23) (Reply)

Sergey Ryabkov: US-NATO Arms Convoys In Ukraine Legitimate Targets / Troops Enter The Gambia To Secure Barrow’s Return / Man Falls Into A River During Peaceful Protest In Cameroon (Disturbing Photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.