Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,781 members, 7,837,841 topics. Date: Thursday, 23 May 2024 at 11:30 AM

Sudan's Bashir Arrives In Nigeria To Anger Of Rights Groups - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Sudan's Bashir Arrives In Nigeria To Anger Of Rights Groups (699 Views)

Nigeria Blasted By Hague Court For Not Arresting Sudan's Bashir / Sudan's Bashir Arrives In Nigeria To Anger Of Rights Groups / Sudan’s Bashir Heads To Arab Summit Despite ICC Warrant (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Sudan's Bashir Arrives In Nigeria To Anger Of Rights Groups by calddon(m): 7:52am On Jul 15, 2013
ABUJA (Reuters) - Sudanese President Omar al-
Bashir arrived in Nigeria on Sunday for an African
Union summit on HIV/AIDS as his hosts chose to
ignore an International Criminal Court (ICC) arrest
warrant against him.
Bashir, accused of masterminding genocide and
other atrocities during Sudan's Darfur conflict, which
has left some 200,000 people dead, in theory risks
arrest if he travels to one of the more than 120
states including Nigeria that have signed up to the
ICC.
He has been refused trips to Uganda, South Africa,
Malawi and Zambia in the past because of his
indictment. This is his first trip to West Africa since
the warrant was issued.
The African Union (AU) voted in 2009 not to
cooperate with the ICC indictments, saying they
would hamper efforts to end Sudan's multiple
conflicts. Bashir rejects the ICC charges.
"The Sudanese president came for an AU event and
the AU has taken a position on the ICC arrest order,
so Nigeria has not taken action different from the
AU stand," presidential spokesman Reuben Abati
said.
Human Rights Watch International Justice Program
director Elise Keppler said Nigeria had "the shameful
distinction of being the first West African country to
welcome ICC fugitive Sudanese President Sudan al-
Bashir".
"Al-Bashir is sought on the gravest crimes ... and
Nigeria's hosting is an affront to victims - he
belongs in custody," she said.
The main African Union summit this month had to
be moved to Ethiopia, which has not signed the ICC
statute, after Malawi, heavily dependent on Western
aid, refused to host Bashir.
Though initially welcomed by African leaders, the ICC
has been accused of exclusively targeting African
war criminals and failing to indict anyone from other
continents, a charge the ICC and its backers says is
unfair.
(Reporting by Tim Cocks, Camillus Eboh and Felix
Obuah; Editing by Kevin Liffey)

http://mobile.reuters.com/article/idUSBRE96D0AY20130714?irpc=932
Re: Sudan's Bashir Arrives In Nigeria To Anger Of Rights Groups by Nobody: 10:00am On Jul 15, 2013
Nigeria also has the shameful distinction of being the first African country to demean African Sovereignty by attending and accepting the rulings of a biased and pseudo legal world court.
Re: Sudan's Bashir Arrives In Nigeria To Anger Of Rights Groups by Longeria(m): 12:49pm On Jul 15, 2013
Nigeria is an independent country and an AU strong member and must not continue to be a slave to the imperialists. What has Al Bashir done Bush senior and junior had never done? Nigeria fell for them and threw bakasi away just to answer good boy. I commend Jonathan for calling their bluff hence his preference for China for genuine man to man progress instead imperialists man to slave mentality to Africa. I'm with Jonathan 100%.

2 Likes

Re: Sudan's Bashir Arrives In Nigeria To Anger Of Rights Groups by Rhino5dm: 12:52pm On Jul 15, 2013
Longeria: Nigeria is an independent country and an AU strong member and must not continue to be a slave to the imperialists. What has Al Bashir done Bush senior and junior had never done? Nigeria fell for them and threw bakasi away just to answer good boy. I commend Jonathan for calling their bluff hence his preference for China for genuine man to man progress instead imperialists man to slave mentality to Africa. I'm with Jonathan 100%.

Well said.
Re: Sudan's Bashir Arrives In Nigeria To Anger Of Rights Groups by saintneo(m): 1:43pm On Jul 15, 2013
Language!
Re: Sudan's Bashir Arrives In Nigeria To Anger Of Rights Groups by 1MCN: 2:34pm On Jul 15, 2013
But Nigeria is not the organizers nah. It's just the venue. Does the Silverbird Group have any right to refuse a village chief access to a wedding feast whose venue is at Occassions and Events just cos the "Human Rights" activists in the chief's village say the chief is a murders? Even when O&E is not liable to either the man, the case or the victims. I think people just mischievoulsy want to rope Nigeria in and disrepute it. A case of calling a dog a bad name just to hang it. And unfortunately some Nigerians will begin to curse their govt on this! The HR organizations should mention (or sanction) AU that writes and issues the invitations and not Nigeria.
Re: Sudan's Bashir Arrives In Nigeria To Anger Of Rights Groups by hakanai(m): 4:32pm On Jul 15, 2013
Longeria: Nigeria is an independent country and an AU strong member and must not continue to be a slave to the imperialists. What has Al Bashir done Bush senior and junior had never done? Nigeria fell for them and threw bakasi away just to answer good boy. I commend Jonathan for calling their bluff hence his preference for China for genuine man to man progress instead imperialists man to slave mentality to Africa. I'm with Jonathan 100%.

^^^^ Gbam
As if they ever care.If it is ICC we disrespect not a problem.My bros well spoken jor!!! They can not try or summon any leader from a develop nation as if there atrocity is lesser. angry angry angry

(1) (Reply)

I Just Read I won The First Ever Ojukwu Award. Thank You For Nominating Me / All Political Parties In Lagos Support Lagos Govt Over The Repatriation Of Igbos / 2-yr-old Barbers’ Daughter Killed By Police Bullet On

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.