Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,759 members, 7,817,094 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 05:13 AM

Lagos-abidjan Highway To Cost $2bn. Lagos-ibadan To Cost $1bn. #genius - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Lagos-abidjan Highway To Cost $2bn. Lagos-ibadan To Cost $1bn. #genius (1793 Views)

Dr. Adesina Sworn-In As Afdb President In Abidjan (photos) / Iweala, Dangote,Fayemi Adesina In Abidjan Today For AFDB Boss, Adeshina (Photos) / 2016 national census to cost 273billion Naira (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Lagos-abidjan Highway To Cost $2bn. Lagos-ibadan To Cost $1bn. #genius by lucarella: 10:47am On Jul 15, 2013
[b]The Abidjan-Lagos highway development project may cost up to $2bn, the Commissioner for Infrastructure, Economic Community of West African States Commission, Mr. Ebima Njie, has said.
He spoke in Abuja on Friday during a meeting with development partners on the Abidjan-Lagos Corridor Highway Development Project.

He said, “We are now focusing on three areas: the legal framework, which is going to govern the movement of people and goods within the corridor; the technical terms of reference of the designs and the management, which is going to govern the highway; and the financial mechanism, which is one of the most important things in order to get the dream realised.
“Seventy-five per cent of our trade movement relies on this corridor. We are going to put up a funding mechanism, a pool of funds whereby it could be a mixture of funding. We will take loans and grants in order to make sure this is realised.
“Until the design has been done properly, we cannot come up with a tangible figure, but cost estimates; we are looking at $1bn to $2bn within that bracket in order to fund this project.”
The Minister of Works, Mr. Mike Onolememen, said the project would facilitate free movement across borders in the sub-region.
Represented by the Deputy Director, Highways Planning, Mr. Umunna Ekenna, the minister said, “We have witnessed that regions around the world are pulling resources together towards creating opportunities to maximise the areas of strength for individual states within their regions.[/b]

Our question; 'How does the Lagos-Abidjan highway cost $2bn and the Lagos-Ibadan highway cost $1bn' Is Ibadan almost the same distance with Abidjan from Lagos? SMH

http://gener-o-matic..com/2013/07/lagos-abidjan-highway-to-cost-2bn-lagos.html

Re: Lagos-abidjan Highway To Cost $2bn. Lagos-ibadan To Cost $1bn. #genius by geeez: 12:26pm On Jul 15, 2013
And that's a 990km road versus a 145km Lagos-IB road which is an existing carriage just being upgraded

1 Like

Re: Lagos-abidjan Highway To Cost $2bn. Lagos-ibadan To Cost $1bn. #genius by Horus(m): 12:54pm On Jul 15, 2013
Our question; 'How does the Lagos-Abidjan highway cost $2bn and the Lagos-Ibadan highway cost $1bnhuh' Is Ibadan almost the same distance with Abidjan from Lagos? SMH

If it is a Lagos-Abidjan highway, a percentage of the $2bn can be funded by Abidjan. Nigeria and Ivory coast will both win economically by funding the project together. Abidjan has also the second biggest port in West Africa.
Re: Lagos-abidjan Highway To Cost $2bn. Lagos-ibadan To Cost $1bn. #genius by lucarella: 1:40pm On Jul 15, 2013
Thank God you said a percentage of the $2bn. My question is, why are they almost the same amount? Is the distance from Lagos to Ibadan and Abidjan the same?
Horus:

If it is a Lagos-Abidjan highway, a percentage of the $2bn can be funded by Abidjan. Nigeria and Ivory coast will both win economically by funding the project together. Abidjan has also the second biggest port in West Africa.
Re: Lagos-abidjan Highway To Cost $2bn. Lagos-ibadan To Cost $1bn. #genius by gunuvi(m): 1:48pm On Jul 15, 2013
Horus:

Are you sure you read the OP question very well?
Re: Lagos-abidjan Highway To Cost $2bn. Lagos-ibadan To Cost $1bn. #genius by Horus(m): 1:55pm On Jul 15, 2013
lucarella: Thank God you said a percentage of the $2bn. My question is, why are they almost the same amount? Is the distance from Lagos to Ibadan and Abidjan the same?

I dont know
Re: Lagos-abidjan Highway To Cost $2bn. Lagos-ibadan To Cost $1bn. #genius by Horus(m): 1:59pm On Jul 15, 2013
gunuvi:
Are you sure you read the OP question very well?

Yes I did but there is not enought informations in the article for me to answer, but maybe you can answer that question?
Re: Lagos-abidjan Highway To Cost $2bn. Lagos-ibadan To Cost $1bn. #genius by Olaolufred(m): 2:06pm On Jul 15, 2013
THE ROAD FROM LAGOS TO IBADAN WILL BE REHABILITATED. WITH AN ADDITIONAL LANE ADDED ON BOTH WAY. IT MEANS = 2 WAYS WITH 3 LANES EACH.
DISTANCE IS 145KM

THE ROAD FROM LAGOS TO ABIDJAN WILL BE 2 WAYS WITH 5 LANES EACH.
DISTANCE IS 990KM

FROM NIGERIA'S SIMPLE ARITHMETIC.

I CAN PROVE THAT 16 IS GREATER THAN 19.

BY THEOREM, 5 IS GREATER THAN 27.
HENCE,

145KM OF 2 WAYS-3 LANE EACH ROAD IS FAR GREATER THAN 990KM OF 2 WAYS-5 LANE ROAD.

DO NOT ARGUE THIS BECAUSE A HAVARD PROFESSOR OF MATHEMATICS CAN'T DISPROVE IT.

8 Likes

Re: Lagos-abidjan Highway To Cost $2bn. Lagos-ibadan To Cost $1bn. #genius by Danhumprey: 2:20pm On Jul 15, 2013
Olaolufred:

HENCE,

145KM OF 2 WAYS-3 LANE EACH ROAD IS FAR GREATER THAN 990KM OF 2 WAYS-5 LANE ROAD.

LMAO....Guy,u funny o.
Re: Lagos-abidjan Highway To Cost $2bn. Lagos-ibadan To Cost $1bn. #genius by Geomac: 4:43pm On Jul 15, 2013
Olaolufred: THE ROAD FROM LAGOS TO IBADAN WILL BE REHABILITATED. WITH AN ADDITIONAL LANE ADDED ON BOTH WAY. IT MEANS = 2 WAYS WITH 3 LANES EACH.
DISTANCE IS 145KM

You are wrong sir.
Additional lane will be added from Lagos to Shagamu Interchange while Shagamu to Ibadan remains 2 lanes.
Re: Lagos-abidjan Highway To Cost $2bn. Lagos-ibadan To Cost $1bn. #genius by bobthebuilder99(m): 4:47pm On Jul 15, 2013
[size=20pt]GEJ IS WORKING!!![/size]

1 Like

Re: Lagos-abidjan Highway To Cost $2bn. Lagos-ibadan To Cost $1bn. #genius by kayoday(m): 4:48pm On Jul 15, 2013
Is this not same road being constructed by Lag government "Badagry Expressway"
Re: Lagos-abidjan Highway To Cost $2bn. Lagos-ibadan To Cost $1bn. #genius by GAR3TH(m): 5:00pm On Jul 15, 2013
Lagos to Ibadan = $6.8 million per Km

Lagos to Abidjan = $2 million per Km
Re: Lagos-abidjan Highway To Cost $2bn. Lagos-ibadan To Cost $1bn. #genius by lucarella: 8:50pm On Jul 15, 2013
LMAO!!!!! grin grin grin EPIC!!!

Olaolufred: THE ROAD FROM LAGOS TO IBADAN WILL BE REHABILITATED. WITH AN ADDITIONAL LANE ADDED ON BOTH WAY. IT MEANS = 2 WAYS WITH 3 LANES EACH.
DISTANCE IS 145KM

THE ROAD FROM LAGOS TO ABIDJAN WILL BE 2 WAYS WITH 5 LANES EACH.
DISTANCE IS 990KM

HENCE,

Re: Lagos-abidjan Highway To Cost $2bn. Lagos-ibadan To Cost $1bn. #genius by Nobody: 9:18pm On Jul 15, 2013
The exact cost of the Lagos-Abidjan road has not been determined. So the comparison for now is baseless. When the cost and design of the project is determined, then we can make sensible comparison
Re: Lagos-abidjan Highway To Cost $2bn. Lagos-ibadan To Cost $1bn. #genius by Standing5(m): 9:41pm On Jul 15, 2013
Sincere 9gerian: The exact cost of the Lagos-Abidjan road has not been determined. So the comparison for now is baseless. When the cost and design of the project is determined, then we can make sensible comparison
What about the east west road?
Re: Lagos-abidjan Highway To Cost $2bn. Lagos-ibadan To Cost $1bn. #genius by bobthebuilder99(m): 9:56pm On Jul 15, 2013
Sincere 9gerian: The exact cost of the Lagos-Abidjan road has not been determined. So the comparison for now is baseless. When the cost and design of the project is determined, then we can make sensible comparison

"The Abidjan-Lagos highway development project may cost up to $2bn."

Explain yourself PDP goon. The Commissioner for Infrastructure, Economic Community of West African States Commission said it will cost a maximum of 2bn. If it costs any less it will be MORE shameful for your paymaster. He has already said that it will not cost more.

Nigerians are not stupid. Stop trying to lie to us. Hold on, let me finish you:

“Until the design has been done properly, we cannot come up with a tangible figure, but cost estimates we are looking at $1bn to $2bn within that bracket in order to fund this project.”

1 Like

Re: Lagos-abidjan Highway To Cost $2bn. Lagos-ibadan To Cost $1bn. #genius by lucarella: 10:03pm On Jul 15, 2013
bobthebuilder99:

Explain yourself PDP goon. The Commissioner for Infrastructure, Economic Community of West African States Commission said it will cost a maximum of 2bn. If it costs any less it will be MORE shameful for your paymaster. He has already said that it will not cost more.

Exactly my point bro. We are not stupid. Ranging from $1bn to $2bn.

1 Like

Re: Lagos-abidjan Highway To Cost $2bn. Lagos-ibadan To Cost $1bn. #genius by Nobody: 10:30pm On Jul 15, 2013
bobthebuilder99:

I'm not here to exchange abuses with you. I'm bigger that.

However, the FACT on this matter is that the contract for the Lagos-Ibadan road has been awarded and work has started on the road. The COST, design and scope of work are all KNOWN. Whereas for the Lagos-Abidjan road, we dont know either the cost, design or scope of work. No contract has been awarded, neither has any work commenced. What is in that report is ESTIMATE.

No matter the emotion or sentiments, I cannot compare KNOWN with unknown or estimates. When the contract for the Lagos-Abidjan is awarded, then we can compare the COST, design and scope of work.

By the way, the president does not determine the cost of road contracts. Every contract must through passes through the BPE, where certificate of no objection (certifying that due process was followed, cost reasonable,etc) must be issued before it comes to the table of the president. In addition, the NASS must approve the contract and appropriate funds for the project. In that NASS, their are ACN and CPC members who can easily oppose or atleast speak up against inflated contracts.

Anyway, I wish you luck in your burden of comparing apples with oranges

1 Like

Re: Lagos-abidjan Highway To Cost $2bn. Lagos-ibadan To Cost $1bn. #genius by gulfer: 11:00pm On Jul 15, 2013
Sincere 9gerian:

However, the FACT on this matter is that the contract for the Lagos-Ibadan road has been awarded and work has started on the road. The COST, design and scope of work are all KNOWN. Whereas for the Lagos-Abidjan road, we dont know either the cost, design or scope of work. No contract has been awarded, neither has any work commenced. What is in that report is ESTIMATE.

No matter the emotion or sentiments, I cannot compare KNOWN with unknown or estimates. When the contract for the Lagos-Abidjan is awarded, then we can compare the COST, design and scope of work.

By the way, the president does not determine the cost of road contracts. Every contract must through passes through the BPE, where certificate of no objection (certifying that due process was followed, cost reasonable,etc) must be issued before it comes to the table of the president. In addition, the NASS must approve the contract and appropriate funds for the project. In that NASS, their are ACN and CPC members who can easily oppose or atleast speak up against inflated contracts.

We aя̩̥̊ε̲̣̣̣̥ not learners and we certainly can read and do arithmetic. You should learn that you cannot justify every one of †ђξ cow dung being thrown as cake to †ђξ populace by your paymasters as you aя̩̥̊ε̲̣̣̣̥ trying here. Why don't you take a break from your laptop duties and examine your posts vis a vis common sense; you may never go back again.

2 Likes

Re: Lagos-abidjan Highway To Cost $2bn. Lagos-ibadan To Cost $1bn. #genius by bobthebuilder99(m): 11:02pm On Jul 15, 2013
Sincere 9gerian: No matter the emotion or sentiments, I cannot compare KNOWN with unknown or estimates.

Nobody asked you to do anything.

When the contract for the Lagos-Abidjan is awarded, then we can compare the COST, design and scope of work.

We are comparing the cost NOW. If you don't like it, too bad. You can go hug transformer.
Re: Lagos-abidjan Highway To Cost $2bn. Lagos-ibadan To Cost $1bn. #genius by Delafruita(m): 11:48pm On Jul 15, 2013
Sincere 9gerian:

it is not the duty of the national assembly to determine if a contract sum is overbloated.it is the duty of the national assembly to ensure that the projects budgetted for are carried out.besides since we now have the SURE-P platfoorm under which the lagos-ibadan road is been done,the national assembly's consent isn't required just as the national assembly isn't required to know details of what goes on at FEC meetings
Re: Lagos-abidjan Highway To Cost $2bn. Lagos-ibadan To Cost $1bn. #genius by EPOMA(m): 5:10am On Jul 16, 2013
I have been hitting on this at all time that Governments in Nigeria especially Akwa Ibom state keep on over inflating the prices of road contruction. In uk the price falls at about £1million per kilometre .
Re: Lagos-abidjan Highway To Cost $2bn. Lagos-ibadan To Cost $1bn. #genius by tsomething: 7:36am On Jul 16, 2013
It sad Nigerians enjoy finding faults in any good move their Government does. Most people commenting here and even the Op may have never transversed the Lagos- Abidjan road .

First thing you should note is that the Lagos- Ibadan road project is a total reconstruction and expansion with the introduction of bridges and necessary highway furniture, while the Lagos - Abidjan road project is just a project aimed at constructing some new road segments to add to some series of existing road network over several West African countries to form an unbroken chain of highway that would span from Lagos to Abidjan . Hence the total road constructed may never be up to 200km.

Secondly, since this is an international road, hence labour and materials rates will surely be different for the various countries. We all know operational rates in Nigeria is generally higher than most other west African countries because of our harsh business environment . For example we know how expensive diesel costs in Nigeria, we know how high our interest rates are, we know how high our labour rates are (compared to our west African brothers), we know construction companies spend a lot providing security and basic amenities for their personnel unlike in other west African countries .

Thirdly, we should consider the strength of the currencies of the various countries involved. Ask yourself what can $1000 do for you in Nigeria and ask a Togolese or even a Ghanaian what same amount can do for them. This greatly affects the price of the project since the various segments of the project will be awarded to contractors in the local currency of that country.

Lastly, we should consider the time element of construction . Mr President awarded Lagos - Ibadan to Julius Berger and RCC and needs the road completed as soon as possible. Big contractors such as the above selected are aware of the Govt urgency in completing the project , and they are also aware of the bearuacratic bottle-necks involved in getting funding from Government. Hence they have to plan that they may pre-finance the project, so when you include the cost of money in Nigeria (about 18%) to the cost of the project you end up with figures such as what we have .

Obasanjo awarded the project to BiCourtney at 99billion , 3 years later, there's nothing to show, now Mr President has not only tactically revoked the contract from the initial contractor (without causing a long legal battle since it was a concession agreement and money was spent by the initial contractor), he awarded it to two competent contractors just to speed up the completion time, and also redesigned the road to face modern realities on that axis, yet Nigerians are still complaining and calling him clueless. I wonder who is actually clueless .
Re: Lagos-abidjan Highway To Cost $2bn. Lagos-ibadan To Cost $1bn. #genius by Nobody: 7:58am On Jul 16, 2013
EPOMA: I have been hitting on this at all time that Governments in Nigeria especially Akwa Ibom state keep on over inflating the prices of road contruction. In uk the price falls at about £1million per kilometre .
No funds can be spent unless approved by the NASS. The NASS, if it suspects a particular contract was inflated, can decide not to approve the money. If it mistakenly approves the money, it can raise alarm of contract inflation or probe any suspicious project. The NASS has enormous powers
Re: Lagos-abidjan Highway To Cost $2bn. Lagos-ibadan To Cost $1bn. #genius by funshint(m): 8:18am On Jul 16, 2013
lucarella: [b]The Abidjan-Lagos highway development project may cost up to $2bn, the Commissioner for Infrastructure, Economic Community of West African States Commission, Mr. Ebima Njie, has said.
He spoke in Abuja on Friday during a meeting with development partners on the Abidjan-Lagos Corridor Highway Development Project.

He said, “We are now focusing on three areas: the legal framework, which is going to govern the movement of people and goods within the corridor; the technical terms of reference of the designs and the management, which is going to govern the highway; and the financial mechanism, which is one of the most important things in order to get the dream realised.
“Seventy-five per cent of our trade movement relies on this corridor. We are going to put up a funding mechanism, a pool of funds whereby it could be a mixture of funding. We will take loans and grants in order to make sure this is realised.
“Until the design has been done properly, we cannot come up with a tangible figure, but cost estimates; we are looking at $1bn to $2bn within that bracket in order to fund this project.”
The Minister of Works, Mr. Mike Onolememen, said the project would facilitate free movement across borders in the sub-region.
Represented by the Deputy Director, Highways Planning, Mr. Umunna Ekenna, the minister said, “We have witnessed that regions around the world are pulling resources together towards creating opportunities to maximise the areas of strength for individual states within their regions.[/b]

Our question; 'How does the Lagos-Abidjan highway cost $2bn and the Lagos-Ibadan highway cost $1bn' Is Ibadan almost the same distance with Abidjan from Lagos? SMH

http://gener-o-matic..com/2013/07/lagos-abidjan-highway-to-cost-2bn-lagos.html
Hey Mr Man Go and study 'ur Map/Atlas; Lagos-Abidjan is 10times longer than Lagos-Ib way. But besides what's the use of such road? Why can't they just maintain the existing one? Africans with mis-placed priorities!

1 Like

Re: Lagos-abidjan Highway To Cost $2bn. Lagos-ibadan To Cost $1bn. #genius by lucarella: 9:44am On Jul 16, 2013
funshint:
Hey Mr Man Go and study 'ur Map/Atlas; Lagos-Abidjan is 10times longer than Lagos-Ib way. But besides what's the use of such road? Why can't they just maintain the existing one? Africans with mis-placed priorities!

Broda, it is almost 10 times longer, so why is the total cost just estimated double of the cost for Lagos-Ibadan. I feel Some people must have over-increased the price of the Lagos-Ibadan expressway. I shake my head for this Nigerian government.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Ebola: Angry Lady Smashes Bottle On Man’s Head For Hugging Her / BREAKING: Adamawa Governorship Election: PDP Disqualifies Acting Gov. fintiri / Who Have Seen Nigeria`s Visa Before?... Do We Have A Visa

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 84
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.