Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,824 members, 7,817,402 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 11:37 AM

Are you 18-30 years old? No British Visa for You! - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Are you 18-30 years old? No British Visa for You! (2682 Views)

How To Re-apply For A British Visa / How Easy Is It To Get Belgium Visa For Education / 20,000 Nigerians Denied British Visa (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Are you 18-30 years old? No British Visa for You! by Seun(m): 1:14pm On May 02, 2005
"Britain has imposed a ban on entry visas for young Nigerians aged between 18 and 30 who intend to visit the UK for the first time." (BBC News)

"However, the move has been condemned by officials within the Nigerian presidential office. 'It is very unfair,' said Femi Fani-Kayode, special assistant to the Nigerian President on public affairs. "We enjoy a close relationship with the United Kingdom and I don't think this is the way to strengthen ties between the two countries." (Black Mag)

How about we reciprocate by denying visas to their young men and women? cheesy

There are many fast-growing economies out there in Asia and elsewhere to travel to. The UK will be the [I]last place[/I] I will want to travel out to unless there's an important conference or something.

"Those studying in the UK, or members of Business Express - a scheme for large companies with strong UK links will not be affected." (Black Mag) At least, this means it will be [I]easier[/I] for those who are unaffected to gain visas.
Re: Are you 18-30 years old? No British Visa for You! by mamba(m): 2:12pm On May 02, 2005
My cousin that just clocked 31 yrs and planning to Jand has been doing thanksgiving since last week.

Plz can someone tell us the reason behind this discrimination by Britain?
Re: Are you 18-30 years old? No British Visa for You! by Seun(m): 2:20pm On May 02, 2005
The reason given, from the above BBC News article, is that:
"First-time visitors, particularly within that age group [18 to 30], are particularly time-consuming, each has to be interviewed and obviously an intention to return has to be verified."
Re: Are you 18-30 years old? No British Visa for You! by JustBlaze1(m): 5:47pm On May 02, 2005
Apparently the british jails are full of young naija folks that falls into that particular age bracket

The vast number of applications sent every month is also an issue i've heard.
Re: Are you 18-30 years old? No British Visa for You! by Nobody: 4:09am On May 03, 2005
@mamba sorry about ur cousin. but I think there are some exceptions to the ban. as in if one is going for academics e.t.c. somebody correct me if I'm wrong.

anyway if i was UK crazy the ban wouldn't have affected me. because I was UK based between 89-92. hope I ain't running my mouth a little too much  .
Re: Are you 18-30 years old? No British Visa for You! by Seun(m): 6:50am On May 03, 2005
Trae, mamba's cousing was celebrating because he is 31 and the ban only affects Nigerians between 18 and 30!
Re: Are you 18-30 years old? No British Visa for You! by mamba(m): 8:39am On May 03, 2005
The new law has favoured my cousin already.
To him, the ban was a good idea.
Re: Are you 18-30 years old? No British Visa for You! by kodewrita(m): 2:45pm On May 03, 2005
its because of the election campaign. they are hitting blair because they claim he allows illegal immigrants(meaning nigerians) to enter. pity the poor man he doesn't want to lose his seat.
Re: Are you 18-30 years old? No British Visa for You! by dominobaby(f): 6:00pm On May 03, 2005
there's been so much talk bout patriotism, Nigerians not being patriotic in that they leave the shores of their beloved country and go become useful someplace else, don't be surprised if the idea came from the Nigerian govt itself. grin
Re: Are you 18-30 years old? No British Visa for You! by genius(m): 8:38pm On May 22, 2005
Hey guys. I live in the UK, and I can tell you that the ban is good. If you see the lives our young people live here you will be sorry for good old naija.

People just come here and disappear with visiting visas. They cannot work and they cannot even go to school.
Re: Are you 18-30 years old? No British Visa for You! by IAH(f): 6:04pm On Jun 09, 2005
Yes, I would have said the ban is good but it affects my sister who wants to come so the ban is not good!
Re: Are you 18-30 years old? No British Visa for You! by hotangel2(f): 7:38am On Jun 22, 2005
Why does Uk have to be so stupid. That's just wrong.
Re: Are you 18-30 years old? No British Visa for You! by Greatpeter(m): 10:29am On Jun 24, 2005
Na dem sabi we should equqlly do same to them.
Re: Are you 18-30 years old? No British Visa for You! by cheechako(m): 4:10pm On Nov 26, 2005
Do the same to the British Embassy as You should do to the American Embassy------BOYCOT! BOYCOT! BOYCOT! Do it for one month solid and it will bring them to their knees. Trust me.
Re: Are you 18-30 years old? No British Visa for You! by nike4luv(f): 4:16pm On Nov 26, 2005
yea i think dats wrong too!..its sad.but what i think is that most 18-30yrs old (i aint saying they all nigerians) kinda bring problems..remember the bomb blast, it was because they were allowing some people to come in just like that. also, most people do not legalize themselve when coming to uk {they sumtimes clain to be refugees or summin} and if ur coming illegaly, it kinda affects them

anyway i dont really know but those are the reasons that comes to my head
Re: Are you 18-30 years old? No British Visa for You! by lotteg(f): 9:23pm On Dec 04, 2005
HELP! is this true?? im from the UK, have been with my Nigerian boyfriend for nearly 2 years. About to invite him here.........he cant come?? this is crazy! someone tell me this isnt the case!
Re: Are you 18-30 years old? No British Visa for You! by hotangel2(f): 9:24pm On Dec 04, 2005
i think that was a long time ago.
Re: Are you 18-30 years old? No British Visa for You! by lotteg(f): 9:28pm On Dec 04, 2005
oh really? but earlier this year yeh? i had no idea anything like this had ever happened. sucks. Ill call the embassy tomorrow.

thanks
Re: Are you 18-30 years old? No British Visa for You! by hadexman(m): 12:26pm On Nov 19, 2009
I don't think this law still exist.
Re: Are you 18-30 years old? No British Visa for You! by Nobody: 12:45pm On Nov 19, 2009
^^^ I guess not, this thread is 4 years old.
Re: Are you 18-30 years old? No British Visa for You! by symbian03(m): 1:01pm On Nov 19, 2009
Ha, I thought it was something ofrecent, ;-)
Re: Are you 18-30 years old? No British Visa for You! by echobee(f): 2:51pm On Nov 19, 2009
make dem keep their visa, that expensive country. very soon they will soon start collecting tax for the air they breath
Re: Are you 18-30 years old? No British Visa for You! by Nobody: 4:19pm On Nov 19, 2009
echo- bee:

make dem keep their visa, that expensive country. very soon they will soon start collecting tax for the air they breath

What's with the animosity. . .chill out cheesy
Re: Are you 18-30 years old? No British Visa for You! by Nobody: 4:33pm On Nov 19, 2009
if this is true, then we should expect to see various threads by "lonely guys" looking for female "companions" none of who must be under 30.  And promising marriage as extra icing on the pie.

the females must be UK residents and "preferably" with papers (fine print and non-negotiable)

and vice versa of course. But not at the same rate as the males.
Re: Are you 18-30 years old? No British Visa for You! by Nobody: 4:35pm On Nov 19, 2009
tpia.:

if this is true, then we should expect to see various threads by "lonely guys" looking for female "companions" none of who must be under 30. And promising marriage as extra icing on the pie.

the females must be UK residents and "preferably" with papers (fine print and non-negotiable)

Did you care to check the date of the first post. . [size=2pt].laughs[/size]

Seun:

"Britain has imposed a ban on entry visas for young Nigerians aged between 18 and 30 who intend to visit the UK for the first time." (BBC News)

Re: Are you 18-30 years old? No British Visa for You! by Nobody: 4:36pm On Nov 19, 2009
ahonohai:

Did you care to check the date of the first post. .

I did.

My comment was hypothetical.
Re: Are you 18-30 years old? No British Visa for You! by iz2much: 4:45pm On Nov 19, 2009
Men, Agent r Screwed. Thank God. I was refused and i dont want to make a big deal outta it, No thanks to my crazy Agents. Ole
Re: Are you 18-30 years old? No British Visa for You! by Nobody: 4:48pm On Nov 19, 2009
iz2much:

Men, Agent r Screwed. Thank God. I was refused and i dont want to make a big deal outta it, No thanks to my crazy Agents. Ole

Re: Are you 18-30 years old? No British Visa for You! by Nobody: 9:26am On Nov 20, 2009
iz2much:

What happened? Did somebody fail to deliver, after being paid?
Re: Are you 18-30 years old? No British Visa for You! by spikedcylinder: 7:36pm On Nov 20, 2009
I think they attempted to impose a ban a few years ago. Don't know what happened afterwards.
Re: Are you 18-30 years old? No British Visa for You! by faithful2911(m): 4:45pm On Aug 22, 2020
Jesu! And I should travel next month o
Re: Are you 18-30 years old? No British Visa for You! by Nobody: 4:51pm On Aug 22, 2020
faithful2911:
Jesu! And I should travel next month o
the post is 11 years old smh

4 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

How Do I Get An Invitation From My Sister Who Is A Citizen Of Britian / Scholarship Opportunities 4africans: Study In Australia, Masters & Phds Courses / Airline Offers Free UAE Tourist Visas For Nigerian Travellers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.