Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,408 members, 7,819,457 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 04:38 PM

The Expressway Churches - Religion (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / The Expressway Churches (8448 Views)

RCCG Repairs Lagos-ibadan Expressway / Rich Churches, Poor Members / Which Is The Most Powerful Spiritual Churches Or Prayer Houses In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Expressway Churches by izaga3(m): 2:09am On Feb 04, 2010
Bros Take am easy oh. You may not be a christian but then insulting GOD? I think that's unnecessary. If you are angry or frustrated, find other ways to make urself feel better. for a guy like you i'll recommend mastur.bation, lol grin

randomness:

You see, the religious people -- most of them -- really think this planet is an experiment.
That's what their beliefs come down to.

Some god or other is always fixing and poking, messing around with tradesmen's wives, giving tablets on mountains, commanding you to mutilate your children, telling people what words they can say and what words they can't say, making people feel guilty about enjoying themselves, and like that. Why can't the gods leave well enough alone? All this intervention speaks of incompetence.

If God didn't want Lot's wife to look back, why didn't he make her obedient, so she'd do what her husband told her?
Or if he hadn't made Lot such a shithead, maybe she would've listened to him more.

If God is omnipotent and omniscient, why didn't he start the universe out in the first place so it would come out the way he wants?
Why's he constantly repairing and complaining?

No, there's one thing the Bible makes clear: The biblical God is a sloppy manufacturer. He's not good at design, he's not good at execution.

He'd be out of business if there was any competition. [C.S.]
Re: The Expressway Churches by bawomolo(m): 4:38am On Feb 04, 2010

i think ive alreadi told u im not gna engage in a debate??

what kind of scientist am i

im onli bein trained by the best!

go ahead put your faith in soo called carbon dating, tree ring counting
dna comparing
heck im pretty sure there will soon be cctv footage of the big bang
and letters from aliens
kmt

yeye woman. we communicate with aliens using crop circles and hubble telescopes. cheesy
your own scientist na aba made.
Re: The Expressway Churches by verycute: 9:57am On Feb 04, 2010
@Annunaki
Pls stop that trash. Catholics are now copying the Pentecostals. They now have a healing and deliverance department. Pay tithes. This are the things they wang their mouth about few years ago. They now conduct night vigils and I had they speak in tongues, they very thing they said was evil before. The holy spirit is no longer in the Catholic. Its a social gathering b/c the word is not preached there rather the read their foolish doctrine and then worship Mary and other idols and pictures handing on their walls. Then you see they "Nights" in the front row, all of them members of cults who after their death, their cult members and the church struggle for burial control. how dare u say that Catholic is better than Pentecostals. what is your standard of measurement. Call for a Pentecostal crusade today and 70% of the attendance will be catholics. All they know is pray their rosary , religious people. No knowledge of the word of God. Zealous, but no knowledge. Always in church without the holy Bible. Oh! how i pray that every catholic buy a bible today, then they will be exposed to the scripture and then throw away the stupid rosary and stick to what the holy book says. I hv read the bible from Gen to Rev, yet i could not see any body pray to marry or the rosary. Rather, I read in Exodus 20:4 that nobody should make any image of anything either on earth or in haven. So Annunaki, don't u ever say what u don't know, b/c it seems u don't know the level of crime there including sex scandals which your elected/selected pope even confirmed. Catholic says, peter was the first pose, and ask, the peter i know PREACHED THE GOSPEL, NOT CONDUCT MASS, PETER HEALED THE SICK, EVEN WITH HIS SHADOWS, SPOKE IN TONGUES, WHY THEN IS THE POPE NOT DOING ALL THESE. The holy spirit has departed, so my friend depart also.
Re: The Expressway Churches by Genuflect(m): 10:22am On Feb 04, 2010
^^This 'My God is better than your own' mentality is one of the biggest problems in Christianity. May God save us
Re: The Expressway Churches by sizzlers(m): 12:02pm On Feb 04, 2010
i will go with what sam milla, really the world of internet will help to open their eyes
Re: The Expressway Churches by ayettymama(f): 12:04pm On Feb 04, 2010
bawomolo:

yeye woman. we communicate with aliens using crop circles and hubble telescopes. cheesy
your own scientist na aba made.

inno

you even have web chat with aliens

ehn inno u see ufo's on a daily basis

tongue tongue tongue

m-o-n-k-e-y
Re: The Expressway Churches by kristonium(m): 12:23pm On Feb 04, 2010
jargons!ur write up is riddled with so much grammatical infelicities and superfluity that it is difficult to cogitate the import of ur deliberate effulgence.if u must write at all,clarity must be upheld.

thanks!
Re: The Expressway Churches by izaga3(m): 6:23pm On Feb 04, 2010
grin Funny this thread was started to trash Christians and it seems Christians are already doing a good job at that.
Re: The Expressway Churches by bawomolo(m): 9:38pm On Feb 04, 2010
kristonium:

jargons!your write up is riddled with so much grammatical infelicities and superfluity that it is difficult to cogitate the import of your deliberate effulgence.if u must write at all,clarity must be upheld.

thanks!

Jesu kristi

ayettymama:

inno

you even have web chat with aliens

ehn inno u see ufo's on a daily basis

tongue tongue tongue

m-o-n-k-e-y

ET and I are chatting on yahoo-im right now.
siddon for corner, aba made scientist.
Re: The Expressway Churches by verycute: 9:44pm On Feb 04, 2010
@Annunaki
Pls stop that trash. Catholics are now copying the Pentecostals. They now have a healing and deliverance department. Pay tithes. This are the things they wang their mouth about few years ago. They now conduct night vigils and I had they speak in tongues, they very thing they said was evil before. The holy spirit is no longer in the Catholic. Its a social gathering b/c the word is not preached there rather the read their foolish doctrine and then worship Mary and other idols and pictures handing on their walls. Then you see they "Nights" in the front row, all of them members of cults who after their death, their cult members and the church struggle for burial control. how dare u say that Catholic is better than Pentecostals. what is your standard of measurement. Call for a Pentecostal crusade today and 70% of the attendance will be catholics. All they know is pray their rosary , religious people. No knowledge of the word of God. Zealous, but no knowledge. Always in church without the holy Bible. Oh! how i pray that every catholic buy a bible today, then they will be exposed to the scripture and then throw away the stupid rosary and stick to what the holy book says. I hv read the bible from Gen to Rev, yet i could not see any body pray to marry or the rosary. Rather, I read in Exodus 20:4 that nobody should make any image of anything either on earth or in haven. So Annunaki, don't u ever say what u don't know, b/c it seems u don't know the level of crime there including sex scandals which your elected/selected pope even confirmed. Catholic says, peter was the first pose, and ask, the peter i know PREACHED THE GOSPEL, NOT CONDUCT MASS, PETER HEALED THE SICK, EVEN WITH HIS SHADOWS, SPOKE IN TONGUES, WHY THEN IS THE POPE NOT DOING ALL THESE. The holy spirit has departed, so my friend depart also.
Re: The Expressway Churches by randomness: 11:17pm On Feb 04, 2010
No human being can say there is no God. We are too early in the scheme of things to know. Even plants came before us. In the earlier post by somebody, she  was struggling with the idea of evolution. From fish to human. It's a stretch for a brain that is 40 years old to fathom evolution that occured many billions of years. You simply can't do it, but evidences are there and the progression is clear. If we can't even notice changes in human living under the same roof , say a child growing up until they leave for a while and come back, then suddenly you say, he! you'll grown taller!!, your face has changed!,  how can you comprehend evolution??

What most non believers believe is that what is being marketed to us in the Bible is suspect. Because it was introduced by slave masters, it must be scrutinized further. Any aspect that make you feel guilty when you use your brain instead of surrendering and waiting for miracle, must be treated with caution.

How can the God in the Bible be perfect today and next minute, not so sure.
It is so sad that you are even told  whenever bad things happen to you , rejoice and praise him because he's a perfect God. Whenever good things happen to you, rejoice still because he's done it. If you remove the world perfect out of the equation, then there will be no debate.

Even Mumus can figure that one out.

Finding the occasional straw of truth awash in a great ocean of confusion and bamboozle requires intelligence, vigilance, dedication and courage. But if we don't practice these tough habits of thought, we cannot hope to solve the truly serious problems that face us -- and we risk becoming a nation of suckers, up for grabs by the next charlatan who comes along. [C.S]

What I'm saying is, if God wanted to send us a message, and ancient writings were the only way he could think of doing it, he could have done a better job. [C.S]

Anything you don't understand, Mr. Rankin, you attribute to God. God for you is where you sweep away all the mysteries of the world, all the challenges to our intelligence. You simply turn your mind off and say God did it. [C.S]
Re: The Expressway Churches by LAFOCUZY: 2:47pm On Feb 05, 2010
I sincerely think that most inappropriate comments about the christian faith come from shallow understanding of the Bible. Now, am not blindly disputing the existence of fake, manipulative and wrong minded pastors and churches; sure they exist and Will always. For the fact that you have fake pound and dollar bills flows out of the existence of an original one and that is a fact . And will always be. You cannot have this if the Christan religion is not true.

Careful consideration of the precepts of the bible demonstrates a way of life driven by choice, steered in love and towards respect. These choices have consequence, either way! In as much as most people will argue that Europeans now regard Christianity with disdain, the basic fragment of their society is strongly built and interwoven around christian values, else they would have remained as barbaric as they were prior the advent of Christianity. Truly, its absolutely beyond contemplation for anyone to believe there is no God. You need more energy to convince youself of that, than you need to live

The true knowledge of God as evidenced in the bible bring light and makes our simple minds wise. God created us and that why we are creators. And God has commended to make that choice and follow him not man.
Re: The Expressway Churches by LAFOCUZY: 3:19pm On Feb 05, 2010
I had a very useful but intellectual discussion with a colleague who is British. he didn't believe in the existence of God and leaned quite firmly on the pole of evolution. He regarded me as brain dead to have believed in that "crap" as he called it, coningly designed feeble passed on by some white folks to Africa.

Quite frankly, he made comments that provoked my thoughts, but I again challenged him what reasons guided his conclusions. I asked him to tell me what possibilities there are for every component of a drilling rig to come together on its own to provide all the complicated functions required to drill an oil well and he couldn't answer me a word. There has to be a manager and intelligent designer having higher understanding, having Superior intelligence to be able to fit these equipment to together to achieve that purpose. For a drilling rig; it is man and for man and all human beings on earth, it is GOD.

Make no mistake about that. We may not understand all things, No man dose or will ever, however he tries. There is GOD; your inner being agrees to it. Don't fight it, seek for it; for therein lies true fulfillment and peace
Re: The Expressway Churches by Krayola(m): 4:57pm On Feb 05, 2010
LAFOCUZY:

In as much as most people will argue that Europeans now regard Christianity with disdain, the basic fragment of their society is strongly built and interwoven around christian values, else they would have remained as barbaric as they were prior the advent of Christianity.

Those values are not exclusively Christian. They are known to have existed, and still exist, outside Christiandom. Also, following the "advent of christianity" we had over a thousand years of barbarism in Christiandom. I don't think this your statement above is valid.

LAFOCUZY:

Truly, its absolutely beyond contemplation for anyone to believe there is no God. You need more energy to convince youself of that, than you need to live

How did you convince yourself to believe this?  ^^. Did you conduct some kinda survey, or did u just take a wild guess, or is it by some other means?

LAFOCUZY:
There has to be a manager and intelligent designer having higher understanding, having Superior intelligence to be able to fit these equipment to together to achieve that purpose. For a drilling rig; it is man and for man and all human beings on earth, it is GOD.

Let's pretend this is accurate. . . just cause it has been debated into oblivion on NL and is now a bore. . .

Why do you think "intelligence" is of such central importance in the big picture? Isn't that kinda anthropocentric? Why must our notion of intelligence be central to the origin of the universe.

If there is a God that created the universe, I think there is a stronger argument, based on the state of the observable universe today, that he doesn't give a damn about us, than there is that he does.

There is GOD; your inner being agrees to it. Don't fight it, seek for it; for therein lies true fulfillment and peace

Let's again pretend this is accurate. Can't one's inner being be mistaken?
Re: The Expressway Churches by KunleOshob(m): 11:13am On Feb 06, 2010
@krayola
You don begin your devil's advocate wahala again grin
Re: The Expressway Churches by idifu(m): 12:35pm On Feb 06, 2010
i am gonna quote Femi Kuti's song Wonder "Na pastor life dey better, the ppl dey suffer
Re: The Expressway Churches by bola09: 6:45am On Feb 07, 2010
With what I have read in this interesting tread, Nigerians has the intellectual capacity to overcome the myriads of problems it faces if only we could harness these intellects and, put them to work.

The topic itself is not new as it has been a subject of debates for centuries; Galileo etc were alluded to earlier. The point I will like to make is that all religion are creation of man. That is not to say they are not useful or, even desirable. Like any human construct, it is the duties of the parties involved to make sure that they are not cheated in the process. What make religion rather difficult in the contest of human interactions is the dogma that you are not allow or, not expected to criticize the deity {God, Allah, Orisa, Ifa etc) because if you do and, he/she gets angry, there will be a price to pay. The contradiction though is that the same deity that gives you intellectually capacity forbids you to deploy the recourses when the issue concerns dealing with him.

So, giving the antithesis, while has religion survive? I should say that picking one religion over the other serves no purpose. While methodology might be different, the goal is the same. I recall when a particular deity was considered to be the cause of small pox [At least in Yoruba area where I grew up, the deity is Sanpona and, small pox is called ‘igbona” Fever]. It is amazing that the deity still exist and, he is still worshiped till today yet, small pox has been eradicated. A Western Nigerian expatriate doctor conducted a research to see if indeed, this god causes small pox in the 50’s. His finding buttresses my belief that the higher echelon of any religion only uses it to manipulate their followers. I realize the danger in generalization. What he discovered was that the practitioners of the religion who are contracted to bury all corpses of persons that died of the disease often extract body fluid from the dead person and, save it for future use. If a person then contradict their theory or offends them, they will come in at night and spray this concoction around the person’s house. It is a matter of time before children who are not immune to the virus start getting sick and, some of them will die. For those who might not know, small pox is cause by a virus and, very lethal for children who are not vaccinated with the virus. In essence, these people are practicing crude biological weapons only at a small scale.

I often ask myself, if someone has the power to heal sick people, while won’t that person go to a cancer ward at a children hospital and, heal all the sick children. I pick children ward to exclude the often required condition, ‘you must have faith otherwise prayers will not work’. So, back to my question, while has religion succeeded?

I think inherent within most human being is the need to be under an umbrella that provides some security. If God or, gods are in charge, then, you don’t have to take all the decisions. Pay close attention to ‘all the decisions’. Most, if not all of the religious leaders know this and, most have little faith in what they preach. It is an avenue to control others and, consequently get the rewards that come with that control.

In the case of proliferation of churches and Nigeria underdevelopment, I think it is a reflection of our level of development. It will pass with time. Most Nigerians, even the educated ones often defer concrete solutions that affect them and, their environment to someone that they consider superior to them. That is while everybody ‘cries’ government when you asked them while everything is dysfunctional. What is lost to most of us (especially the educated), is that we are the government. The people in power cannot do anything without the consent of the governs but once the governs capitulate, the leader arrogate to themselves the power that they do not have and exercise it without decorum or regards to fiduciary. I know I have digressed but most of these issues are linked together.

Again, I glad I read some of the posting on this tread.
Re: The Expressway Churches by Zodiac61(m): 12:43pm On Feb 07, 2010
bola09, too true.

In the case of proliferation of churches and Nigeria underdevelopment, I think it is a reflection of our level of development. It will pass with time.
The question is when? If this attitude of deferral to the supernatural is allowed to continue unabated, it may lead to the disintegration of civil society.
This newish religious fervour is intolerant of those who do not conform to their various beliefs. Thus we have the riots in Jos lately. CAN has tried to play down the religious aspect of the riots, but, in my view, this just goes to show the dishonesty and moral bankruptcy of the religious organisations.
In the case of proliferation of churches and Nigeria underdevelopment, I think it is a reflection of our level of development. It will pass with time. Most Nigerians, even the educated ones often defer concrete solutions that affect them and, their environment to someone that they consider superior to them. That is while everybody ‘cries’ government when you asked them while everything is dysfunctional. What is lost to most of us (especially the educated), is that we are the government. The people in power cannot do anything without the consent of the governs but once the governs capitulate, the leader arrogate to themselves the power that they do not have and exercise it without decorum or regards to fiduciary. I know I have digressed but most of these issues are linked together.
There is a quote I found on the internet "Two hands working can do more than a thousand hands clasped in prayer." Whilst millions of Nigerian are praying in churches today (and millions more will be praying in mosques of Friday) for deliverance, good health, more money and so on, it does not seem to occur to them that the power in in their own hands.
Religion may have been useful at some stage to explain what seemed unexplainable and wondrous. Surely not today. As long as we put our future in the hands of God, we have no future.
Re: The Expressway Churches by Nobody: 10:14am On Feb 08, 2010
smiley smiley I'm just short of words .
Re: The Expressway Churches by Ovamboland(m): 2:30pm On Feb 08, 2010
Zodiac61:

There is a quote I found on the internet "Two hands working can do more than a thousand hands clasped in prayer." Whilst millions of Nigerian are praying in churches today (and millions more will be praying in mosques of Friday) for deliverance, good health, more money and so on, it does not seem to occur to them that the power in in their own hands.
Religion may have been useful at some stage to explain what seemed unexplainable and wondrous. Surely not today. As long as we put our future in the hands of God, we have no future.

@Zodiac61,

It like you took the words out of my keyboard. Imagine if the 1 million plus worshipers claimed to attend 'Holy Ghost' festival regularly on the expressway were broken into groups brainstorming on what they can do about myriad physical problems confronting society such as:
- Improving our educational system
- Writing road construction standards
- Developing Local capacity for simple labour saving machines
- Incremental improvement in current agricultural practices
- Brainstorming on developing local crude oil refining capability
- Improvement to vehicle driving licensing to include drive test and written exam as away to reduce road accident
-
Re: The Expressway Churches by Krayola(m): 2:47pm On Feb 08, 2010
Ovamboland:

@Zodiac61,

It like you took the words out of my keyboard. Imagine if the 1 million plus worshipers claimed to attend 'Holy Ghost' festival regularly on the expressway were broken into groups brainstorming on what they can do about myriad physical problems confronting society such as:
- Improving our educational system
- Writing road construction standards
- Developing Local capacity for simple labour saving machines
- Incremental improvement in current agricultural practices
- Brainstorming on developing local crude oil refining capability
- Improvement to vehicle driving licensing to include drive test and written exam as away to reduce road accident
-

What have the millions of non-religious people that are not praying done to fix any of these problems? Do u have any data to illustrate that the non-religious in Nigeria are doing more, to improve the country's situation, than the religious? Maybe while these people are at church/mosque  clasping their hands in prayer, non-religious people are at home drinking stout and watching soccer. Maybe. . . . Which may make both sets of people equally irrelevant as far as fixing the country is concerned

I think u're pretty much saying that we will be better off if people did not waste time being religious. . . . I just don't think u've shown that to be the case though.  undecided
Re: The Expressway Churches by Ovamboland(m): 8:30am On Feb 09, 2010
Krayola:

What have the millions of non-religious people that are not praying done to fix any of these problems? Do u have any data to illustrate that the non-religious in Nigeria are doing more, to improve the country's situation, than the religious? Maybe while these people are at church/mosque  clasping their hands in prayer, non-religious people are at home drinking stout and watching soccer. Maybe. . . . Which may make both sets of people equally irrelevant as far as fixing the country is concerned

I think u're pretty much saying that we will be better off if people did not waste time being religious. . . . I just don't think u've shown that to be the case though.  undecided 

You don't catch the drift, overwhelming percentage of Nigerians are religious. While many clasp their hands in prayer on sunday (now including friday nights) others are bowing on friday (and 5 shorter times daily) while another category and at different times enter their groove or coven to make supplications.
The tragedy of all these is that we, mostly, afterward sit down expecting the supplications to fix our problems.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Logical Understanding Of Trinity (elohim) - Establishing The Doctrine Of Godhead / Let's Discuss Some Of The Irregularities Of The Christian Faith / Is Jesus God? – Logical Questions That Need Answers

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.