Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,876 members, 7,824,647 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 02:19 PM

Sudan Leader Has Fled Nigeria Over Fear Of Arrest - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Sudan Leader Has Fled Nigeria Over Fear Of Arrest (1063 Views)

Policeman Drags Suspect Along The Road In The Name Of Arrest (Photo) / Wanted Sudan Leader Bashir Flies Out Of South Africa / Why Nyako Fled Nigeria — Aide (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Sudan Leader Has Fled Nigeria Over Fear Of Arrest by Nobody: 8:09am On Jul 17, 2013
ABUJA, Nigeria (AP) — Sudanese leader Omar al-Bashir has left Nigeria, the spokesman at his embassy said Tuesday, following demands from human rights activists for his arrest over charges of genocide and war crimes in Darfur.

Spokesman Mohammed Moiz said al-Bashir left to fulfill another engagement. Moiz said he left Abuja, Nigeria's capital, at 3 p.m. Monday, less than 24 hours after he arrived and in the middle of a two-day summit ending Tuesday.

Nigeria's Vanguard newspaper reported that the Sudanese leader was expected to make a presentation Monday afternoon at an African Union summit but failed to show up.

"Business as usual is over for this head of state suspected of the most serious crimes committed in Darfur," said Elise Keppler of New York-based Human Rights Watch. "Al-Bashir faced intense pressure for his arrest from local activists when he tried to visit Nigeria, including court action."
Rights lawyers filed a suit in the Federal High Court on Monday to try to compel Nigeria's government to arrest al-Bashir. And a civil rights group urgently appealed to the International Criminal Court to refer the government to the United Nations Security Council for allowing the visit.
Presidential spokesman Reuben Abati told The Associated Press that al-Bashir had come to attend the African Union summit, and not at Nigeria's invitation. He said Nigeria allowed him to come in line with instructions from the African Union, which has told its 53 member states not to cooperate with the European-based court that some accuse of targeting Africans.

The International Criminal Court said it demanded Monday that Nigeria "immediately arrest" the fugitive. It noted that it could refer the Nigerian government to the United Nations Security Council for failing to execute an order of the court, of which it is a member
Re: Sudan Leader Has Fled Nigeria Over Fear Of Arrest by thoth: 8:30am On Jul 17, 2013
The Sudanese president is no fool, he knows that Nigeria is a puppet state and nobody's security is guaranteed even that of its own citizens which she would readily hand over to any nation that asks for it.
Re: Sudan Leader Has Fled Nigeria Over Fear Of Arrest by Nobody: 8:48am On Jul 17, 2013
thoth: The Sudanese president is no fool, he knows that Nigeria is a puppet state and nobody's security is guaranteed even that of its own citizens which she would readily hand over to any nation that asks for it.
Wrong, Nigeria defied ICC.
And Bashir trusted Nigeria, that is why he came.
Nigeria gave ICC the finger and gave AU the upper hand.
ICC and HRW were calling for Bashir's arrest, but we did not arrest him.
At least wait to hear what Bashir has to say.
Moreover, he left only after the summit.
Re: Sudan Leader Has Fled Nigeria Over Fear Of Arrest by sambos994(m): 10:27am On Jul 17, 2013
thoth: The Sudanese president is no fool, he knows that Nigeria is a puppet state and nobody's security is guaranteed even that of its own citizens which she would readily hand over to any nation that asks for it.

Are you okay in the head? Just by letting Bashir in give an "F-U" to the west.

2 Likes

Re: Sudan Leader Has Fled Nigeria Over Fear Of Arrest by thoth: 11:01am On Jul 17, 2013
patriot4:
Wrong, Nigeria defied ICC.
And Bashir trusted Nigeria, that is why he came.
Nigeria gave ICC the finger and gave AU the upper hand.
ICC and HRW were calling for Bashir's arrest, but we did not arrest him.
At least wait to hear what Bashir has to say.
Moreover, he left only after the summit.

Nigeria would never arrest him until after the summit, arresting him before that will be sort of dashing the concept of African Union, that they did not succeed did not mean they did not try to. you should understand that the Sudanese president is also a puppet to china just like Nigeria is a puppet to USA/Britain.
Some things are taken at their face value but actually there was a lot that went on behind the scenes.

someday you may get to hear what really happened...if we are lucky.
Re: Sudan Leader Has Fled Nigeria Over Fear Of Arrest by Nobody: 2:10pm On Jul 17, 2013
this post need to be promoted...more thoughts on this subject pls
Re: Sudan Leader Has Fled Nigeria Over Fear Of Arrest by solomon111(m): 3:43pm On Jul 17, 2013
thoth:

Nigeria would never arrest him until after the summit, arresting him before that will be sort of dashing the concept of African Union, that they did not succeed did not mean they did not try to. you should understand that the Sudanese president is also a puppet to china just like Nigeria is a puppet to USA/Britain.
Some things are taken at their face value but actually there was a lot that went on behind the scenes.

lol.
A southafrican calling Nigeria a puppet state,when your own country have been sold a long time ago.
Atleast Nigeria were brave enough to allow al-bashir in,southafrica on the other hand was so scared that zuma practically begged al-bashir not to step foot in southafrica.
What a bunch of puss¡es.

6 Likes

Re: Sudan Leader Has Fled Nigeria Over Fear Of Arrest by Nobody: 6:07pm On Jul 17, 2013
thoth:

So you think we can not arrest a man we dispatched soldiers to guard ?
I should have guessed that you were a south african.
You south africans like commenting on our affairs, and you only have hate towards us.
You must paint Nigeria the worse way possible going the extra mile of saying things that defy common sense.
ICC asked for Nigeria to arrest Bashir as soon as he reaches the airport. But instead Nigeria gave him the welcomming of a president according to protocol. Nigeria alowed him to attend the meeting and gave him a security team to keep him safe from the so called "activists". So Nigeria gave ICC the finger. And Nigerian presidency said that Bashir was not arrested because the AU had decided otherwise. Therefor Nigeria placed AU decisions higher than those of european ICC.
south africans, you guys are a pathetic bunch of jealous braggats who can not stand the idea of progress in other african countries than yours.

1 Like

Re: Sudan Leader Has Fled Nigeria Over Fear Of Arrest by thoth: 12:33am On Jul 18, 2013
patriot4:
So you think we can not arrest a man we dispatched soldiers to guard ?
I should have guessed that you were a south african.
You south africans like commenting on our affairs, and you only have hate towards us.
You must paint Nigeria the worse way possible going the extra mile of saying things that defy common sense.
ICC asked for Nigeria to arrest Bashir as soon as he reaches the airport. But instead Nigeria gave him the welcomming of a president according to protocol. Nigeria alowed him to attend the meeting and gave him a security team to keep him safe from the so called "activists". So Nigeria gave ICC the finger. And Nigerian presidency said that Bashir was not arrested because the AU had decided otherwise. Therefor Nigeria placed AU decisions higher than those of european ICC.
south africans, you guys are a pathetic bunch of jealous braggats who can not stand the idea of progress in other african countries than yours.
First of all i am not South African, secondly since you guys are so naive not to understand my post i can only tell you that as the west was persuading Nigeria to arrest, china has already succeeded in getting the Nigerian President to promise that he would not. china has been protecting the Sudanese president from all sorts of International intimidation by the west and many contract and loan negotiations that china had with many African and south American countries contain certain policies that particularly imply the Sudanese and a few other African Chinese ally .

The west is not the only superpower capable of persuasions, at the moment china uses its Soft-Power to achieve more than the west can do with its brutish stance.
Re: Sudan Leader Has Fled Nigeria Over Fear Of Arrest by Nobody: 12:55am On Jul 18, 2013
thoth:
First of all i am not South African, secondly since you guys are so naive not to understand my post i can only tell you that as the west was persuading Nigeria to arrest, china has already succeeded in getting the Nigerian President to promise that he would not. china has been protecting the Sudanese president from all sorts of International intimidation by the west and many contract and loan negotiations that china had with many African and south American countries contain certain policies that particularly imply the Sudanese and a few other African Chinese ally .

The west is not the only superpower capable of persuasions, at the moment china uses its Soft-Power to achieve more than the west can do with its brutish stance.
Once again you change your story. That kills your credibility even more.
You started your reasoning with the belief that we were a puppet state, and from there you speculated. We proved you wrong, then you gave an other speculation, we proved you wrong again, then you gave yet an other speculation.
The only thing that doesn't change in what you say is that you keep claiming we took orders.
So you have no credibility.
When Nigeria started the struggle against apartheid in the 70's, the west was against us, but we went all the way. Who was controlling us then ? I ask you. This is Nigeria not mali or chad or ivory coast or ghana or south africa. Here we fight for Africa. Nigeria already stated in an AU summit in 2009 that Bashir should not be arrested by African states, and that is what we did.

2 Likes

Re: Sudan Leader Has Fled Nigeria Over Fear Of Arrest by thoth: 5:09am On Jul 18, 2013
My posts has never changed rather i only expanded my points to make it easy to understand for readers whom i believe could not extract its meaning in its original form but then again i read your last post and others you made elsewhere and concluded you are not the sort i would like to engage in a debate.
For others who might be reading this:
Nigeria has never had a foreign policy drawn on the interest of its citizens except during the regimes of Buhari and Abacha, if you study nigerian foreign relations in other regimes then you will easily find out which group influenced nigerian policies at all the other times.
patriot4: Once again you change your story. That kills your credibility even more.
You started your reasoning with the belief that we were a puppet state, and from there you speculated. We proved you wrong, then you gave an other speculation, we proved you wrong again, then you gave yet an other speculation.
The only thing that doesn't change in what you say is that you keep claiming we took orders.
So you have no credibility.
When Nigeria started the struggle against apartheid in the 70's, the west was against us, but we went all the way. Who was controlling us then ? I ask you. This is Nigeria not mali or chad or ivory coast or ghana or south africa. Here we fight for Africa. Nigeria already stated in an AU summit in 2009 that Bashir should not be arrested by African states, and that is what we did.
Re: Sudan Leader Has Fled Nigeria Over Fear Of Arrest by manny4life(m): 5:54am On Jul 18, 2013
@Patriot and Solomon,

Why are you guys arguing with the dude? Arguing with a someone full with hate will get you nowhere. You guys have time...

On this one, I got to give it to Nigeria. The papers here have carried it that Nigeria defied the UN, lol... it takes GUTS.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Anambra Guber: How The Candidates ’ll Emerge / Pdp Crisis: Atiku's 2015 Billboards And Posters Appear / Naija Police Holds Car Robber Goat

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.