Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,121 members, 7,814,936 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 12:09 AM

Happy 95th Birthday To Nelson Mandela - Foreign Affairs (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Happy 95th Birthday To Nelson Mandela (10424 Views)

Woman Strips Unclad To Hug Mandela Statue / Nelson Mandela Is Dead / Happy Birthday To Dr. Nelson Mandela (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Happy 95th Birthday To Nelson Mandela by sylve11: 10:32am On Jul 18, 2013
Happy Birthday Nelson Mandela. cool
Re: Happy 95th Birthday To Nelson Mandela by mko2005: 10:34am On Jul 18, 2013
Happy birthday sir !

Help us all oh Lord !
Re: Happy 95th Birthday To Nelson Mandela by Nobody: 10:34am On Jul 18, 2013
A good man never dies...Happy Birth day papa....I wish we will have such a person in Nigeria
Re: Happy 95th Birthday To Nelson Mandela by greaterlove(m): 10:39am On Jul 18, 2013
Happy birthday to Africa's finest.
Re: Happy 95th Birthday To Nelson Mandela by dagbokoncept(m): 10:39am On Jul 18, 2013
HAppy birthday to you Mandela. You are truly a living legend and papa Africa. Your legacies lives on!
Re: Happy 95th Birthday To Nelson Mandela by osifred(m): 10:40am On Jul 18, 2013
Happy plus one to the father of the CONTINENT

I take it upon myself to celebrate this man so that one day people will celebrate me also
Re: Happy 95th Birthday To Nelson Mandela by Amazondepth(m): 10:41am On Jul 18, 2013
Humanities finest!HBD sir.it is a priviledge to have u amongst us to dis day!have a peaceful time.
Re: Happy 95th Birthday To Nelson Mandela by Nobody: 10:49am On Jul 18, 2013
HBD MANDELA..GET WELL OR REST WELL..
Re: Happy 95th Birthday To Nelson Mandela by xreal: 10:50am On Jul 18, 2013
Happy Birthday, Papa.

Your names, your works, your deeds will never be forgotten.

Happy Birthday Sir.
Re: Happy 95th Birthday To Nelson Mandela by zika1(f): 11:00am On Jul 18, 2013
Happy bdai 2 a great man! Well nw u can be buried.
Re: Happy 95th Birthday To Nelson Mandela by Nobody: 11:05am On Jul 18, 2013
Happy Birthday Tata!! Thank you for all you and your comrades have done for us, we're grateful. Re a leboga, a Modimo a go tshegofatse smiley
Re: Happy 95th Birthday To Nelson Mandela by Nobody: 11:06am On Jul 18, 2013
Happy birthday to u Sir. long life the truly face of africa. The only man that fault for our freedom ,won presidential election become president after his one term steps down without claiming right. I hey u sir.
Re: Happy 95th Birthday To Nelson Mandela by Cmfrt001(f): 11:08am On Jul 18, 2013
Finally d lng awaited day is here. Hbd mandela u r indeed a hero n will neva b 4gotten in d hrts of African. Nw, wit much luv n tears in our hrts, we can nw officially bury u.☹
Re: Happy 95th Birthday To Nelson Mandela by Odunharry(m): 11:09am On Jul 18, 2013
Hapi bday to u Sir
Re: Happy 95th Birthday To Nelson Mandela by scholes23(m): 11:09am On Jul 18, 2013
HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO AN AFRICAN SOLDIER. WISHING YOU SPEEDY RECOVERY
Re: Happy 95th Birthday To Nelson Mandela by Picomon(m): 11:14am On Jul 18, 2013
HBD baba agba.
Re: Happy 95th Birthday To Nelson Mandela by MAYOWAAK: 11:15am On Jul 18, 2013
Dear Madiba.

I'm not wishing you a happy birthday. I don't think any Nigerian should either. In fact Madiba, if you get any official-looking greeting cards from the Nigerian government, especially its Senate, may I ask that you rip the card into pieces and return to sender unread?

You see, we love the wrong things about you. We love your celebrity, your superstar status as the one African who commands unqualified global respect from people of all creeds and colours. I happen to know that this is the least important thing about you, that when you started out on your long walk with Tambo and Sisulu those many years ago, stardom was not on your mind. You were fiercely against oppression of the weak by the strong, and that guided all your actions.

Your life and example is a slap in our face as a nation, but you wouldn't think it if you merely drank in all the encomiums being flung at you by people who have no intention of living the life of sacrifice you led. Only two days ago, just two days ago, about four thousand years after the end of the Stone Age, our Nigerian senators voted to retain a clause in our Constitution that positively rejects a minimum age for the marriage of a girl child. I know, there were no Ghana-must-go bags to share either way, so we cannot attribute this baffling behaviour to their usual greed and rapacity. It's sheer callousness.

They've seen the research. They know how tragically the incidence of child marriage affects the life chances of a girl child, starting with her diminished opportunities of getting an education. They know that both infant and maternal mortality rates shoot through the roof when babies are made to give birth to babies. They've been told of the horror symptoms of vesicovaginal fistula, and how it has ruined the physical and emotional well-being of countless young women who gave birth when their reproductive organs were simply not ready for the rigours of childbirth. And they, quite frankly, did not care.

We are told that their voting was guided by a pious adherence to Islamic principle. Nonsense. They've never heeded the teachings of Islam against thievery and bribe-taking. They've never followed the practice of the Prophet when it comes to protecting the poor in the society. But suddenly, when trying to justify their perverted sexual proclivities, they hide behind a twisted interpretation of Islam to deny protection to the vulnerable they are sworn to serve.

We are a nation whose median age is slightly over 18. 43.8% of all Nigerians are under the age of 14. For a nation of about 170 million that's a staggering demographic. And yesterday our highest law-making body demonstrated in clear terms precisely how much regard it had for its welfare - none. We wondered before why it was taking so long for the Child Rights Act to be passed into law and properly domesticated into Nigerian law after we had become signatories to the international Convention on the Rights of the Child. We blamed the Nigerian Factor for the go-slow. Now it's clear why it's been fatally delayed; Nigeria is at war with its own children.

Madiba, given your early struggles for majority rule, the plight of an oppressed voiceless majority should resonate with you. This majority will not ask to be given the vote; it's not practical or desirable, but it can demand, by virtue of its humanity, for the protection that human society is supposed to give its members. To treat a little girl as a piece of chattel to be married off, often against her will, during those crucial years when she should be educated and nurtured into full womanhood is nothing less than a crime against humanity.

So if you receive any delegations today from Nigerian civil society groups bearing congratulations, please send them back with the question; 'What are you doing here when the future of your country is being destroyed by wicked men?' You remember the comical Reverend Scheffer who you met on Robben Island? The one who told you prisoners: "Whenever you blacks have a problem, you have an excuse. You can simply say 'Ingabilungu' (malaprop Xhosa for, 'It's the White Man')". Well we have a problem right now in Nigeria, and it's not the white man. It centers on our own refusal to accept that our little human neighbour has rights as a human being that must be respected above all else, and that it is our individual and collective responsibility to fight for the protection of those who cannot fight for themselves. And until we embrace that paradigm, both in theory and praxis, we have no moral right to claim spiritual kinship with a man of your standing in the fight for human freedom.

6 Likes

Re: Happy 95th Birthday To Nelson Mandela by Horus(m): 11:18am On Jul 18, 2013
Re: Happy 95th Birthday To Nelson Mandela by Nobody: 11:51am On Jul 18, 2013
Happy Birthday to you Nelson Mandela at your 95th celebration.
Re: Happy 95th Birthday To Nelson Mandela by thomas4u: 11:58am On Jul 18, 2013
Nelson Mandela is a father indeed wishing him 12months of hapiness,52weeks of fun,365days of laughter,8760hours of gudlcck, 525600secs of success,hapi brthday let ur days b longlegend of africa.
Re: Happy 95th Birthday To Nelson Mandela by bejeria101(m): 12:01pm On Jul 18, 2013
ighoosagie: http://www.biography.com/people/nelson-mandela-9397017/videos/nelson-mandela-working-towards-freedom-19558979780
happy b,day madiba! You still made it despite how many times you were pronounced dead,you are a blessing to dis dark continent,pray we see the light as you did.
Re: Happy 95th Birthday To Nelson Mandela by chucksbadt(m): 12:01pm On Jul 18, 2013
[size=14pt]HAPPY BIRTHDAY; WISHING YOU LONG LIFE AND PROSPERITY! cheesy cheesy[/size]
Re: Happy 95th Birthday To Nelson Mandela by adetboy: 12:10pm On Jul 18, 2013
What a man! So untainted,so unblemished! Passionately loved the world over! Setter of exemplary examples,in private and public life tht defiles the stereotype of an average African Politician! One can go on and on to describe this enigmatic collosus!
Madiba,Happy birthday!
Re: Happy 95th Birthday To Nelson Mandela by Oritna94(m): 12:12pm On Jul 18, 2013
the great MADIBA! Happy birthday sir kiss Dust my hat
Re: Happy 95th Birthday To Nelson Mandela by Manlado: 12:15pm On Jul 18, 2013
Happy Birthday Mandela.

We need so many Mandelas in Nigeria.
Re: Happy 95th Birthday To Nelson Mandela by sunny3kng(m): 12:29pm On Jul 18, 2013
Happy Birthday Sir,
I only wish Nigeria and Africa at large have more heroes like you.
Re: Happy 95th Birthday To Nelson Mandela by jammybeng(m): 12:37pm On Jul 18, 2013
Easiest and cheapest way to get a Honorary Degree(Bsc) in a top university in Europe

Eastern Mediterranean university is a top university in europe, situated in northern Cyprus. The university offers relevant courses in areas like Arts, Sciences, Social sciences, Pharmacy and some other relevant areas. The school made a decision to help more students gain relevant degrees in these areas by lowering the tuition fees by 50% for qualified candidates. To get more information and support please contact me on: jammybeng@yahoo.com or +905338330310 ...
Re: Happy 95th Birthday To Nelson Mandela by donem: 12:43pm On Jul 18, 2013
HBD Madiba.
Re: Happy 95th Birthday To Nelson Mandela by calaharry: 12:50pm On Jul 18, 2013
A VERY HAPPY AND BLISSFUL BIRTHDAY TO OUR GOD SENT TO AFRICAN, MANDIBA! MAY THE GOOD LORD ALMIGHTY RESTORE YOUR HEALTH TO FULL STRENGTH AND VIGOUR TO LIVE FOR US AT LEAST COMPLETING A CENTURY.

'I WISH, I WISH, I WISH!!! I WISH THAT MAJORITY OF OUR AFRICAN LEADERS CAN GIVE LIKE MANDELA AND BE LIKE MANDIBA. I HAVE A DREAM THAT ON DAY MY GENERATION WILL TAKE OVER THIS MANTLE.

WHY IS IT SO DIFFICULT FOR NIGERIAN PRESIDENT TO BE LIKE OR AT LEAST DRIFT TO BECOMING LIKE MANDELA?
WHY CAN'T OUR GOVERNORS BE LIKE MANDELA IN SELFLESS SERVICE?

I REMEMBER TABO MBEKI TOWED THE PATH OF HONOUR AND RESIGNED FROM POWER SELFLESSLY DURING POLITICAL CONTROVERSIES IN KEEPING UP TO HIS LEGACY OF SERVICE TO THE PEOPLE WITH SELFLESSNESS CULTIVATED WITH MENDALA.

UNTIL OUR LEADERS LIVE, DREAM, AND WORK TOWARDS LIVING THE MANDELA LEGACIES AND IDEALS,HOPE OF TRUE SUCCESS IS BLUR.
ONCE MORE HAPPY BIRTHDAY MANIBA AND CHEERS TO EVERYONE ON THIS BLISSFUL MANDELA DAY.
Re: Happy 95th Birthday To Nelson Mandela by calaharry: 12:52pm On Jul 18, 2013
calaharry: A VERY HAPPY AND BLISSFUL BIRTHDAY TO OUR GOD SENT TO AFRICAN, MANDIBA! MAY THE GOOD LORD ALMIGHTY RESTORE YOUR HEALTH TO FULL STRENGTH AND VIGOUR TO LIVE FOR US AT LEAST COMPLETING A CENTURY.

'I WISH, I WISH, I WISH!!! I WISH THAT MAJORITY OF OUR AFRICAN LEADERS CAN GIVE LIKE MANDELA AND BE LIKE MANDIBA. I HAVE A DREAM THAT ON DAY MY GENERATION WILL TAKE OVER THIS MANTLE.

WHY IS IT SO DIFFICULT FOR NIGERIAN PRESIDENT TO BE LIKE OR AT LEAST DRIFT TO BECOMING LIKE MANDELA?
WHY CAN'T OUR GOVERNORS BE LIKE MANDELA IN SELFLESS SERVICE?

I REMEMBER TABO MBEKI TOWED THE PATH OF HONOUR AND RESIGNED FROM POWER SELFLESSLY DURING POLITICAL CONTROVERSIES IN KEEPING UP TO HIS LEGACY OF SERVICE TO THE PEOPLE WITH SELFLESSNESS CULTIVATED WITH MENDALA.

UNTIL OUR LEADERS LIVE, DREAM, AND WORK TOWARDS LIVING THE MANDELA LEGACIES AND IDEALS ( THE REAL PRAYERS NIGERIANS SHOULD OFFER),HOPE OF TRUE SUCCESS IS BLUR.
ONCE MORE HAPPY BIRTHDAY MANIBA AND CHEERS TO EVERYONE ON THIS BLISSFUL MANDELA DAY.
Re: Happy 95th Birthday To Nelson Mandela by Zatwo: 1:02pm On Jul 18, 2013
Hapi bday
Re: Happy 95th Birthday To Nelson Mandela by Horus(m): 1:12pm On Jul 18, 2013

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Fake Pictures Of Hurricane Sandy Escalating Panic, Trending On Social Med [PICS] / A Meme Thread On America's Hegemony, Hubris & Hypocrisy / Ukraine: The UK And Our Allies Will Respond Decisively - Borris Johnson

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.