Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,721 members, 7,824,049 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 09:19 PM

Abraham's Bosom & Different Eras Of The Dead - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Abraham's Bosom & Different Eras Of The Dead (1174 Views)

Ibadan Church Bans Leggings, Mini Skirts, Open Bosom & Topless Outfits (Photo) / Doctor Prays Over Dead Patient, Raises Him From The Dead / Pictures & Characteristics Of The Dead Sea (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Abraham's Bosom & Different Eras Of The Dead by Nobody: 9:42am On Jul 21, 2013
I had a strange thought this morning as I was reading scripture and a beautiful book 'The Amazing Aims and Claims of Jesus: What You Didn't Learn in Church [Kindle Edition]' by Sir Anthony Buzzard.

It goes like this, if all the dead who died went to be in Abraham's Bosom , where did those who died before Abraham go to , especially the multitudes who died in the flood.

Please be honest in your response.

Thanks.

Frosbel.
Re: Abraham's Bosom & Different Eras Of The Dead by Beetwo(m): 9:59am On Jul 21, 2013
Re: Abraham's Bosom & Different Eras Of The Dead by Nobody: 10:26am On Jul 21, 2013
Beetwo:

same here Pal.

Re: Abraham's Bosom & Different Eras Of The Dead by Kingharzyz(m): 10:34am On Jul 21, 2013
confusion....who is abraham....we are told to believe in jesus alone...egbami...
Re: Abraham's Bosom & Different Eras Of The Dead by Nobody: 10:37am On Jul 21, 2013
King harzyz: confusion....who is abraham....we are told to believe in jesus alone...egbami...

We are told that all those who died ,before Jesus came to this earth , went to be in Abraham's Bosom ( don't ask me how millions can fit into one man's chest ) , and when Jesus resurrected and went to heaven , Abraham's bosom or paradise was catapulted into heaven, meaning that from now thence, all who die go to heaven immediately.

My question is , what about those who died before Abraham, where did they go to , since Abraham's bosom did not exist at the time. This will include, Adam, Cain, Seth, Eve, Noah and a host of others.

Hope this makes sense.

smiley
Re: Abraham's Bosom & Different Eras Of The Dead by Nobody: 11:31am On Jul 21, 2013
waiting for bible scholars to contribute.
Re: Abraham's Bosom & Different Eras Of The Dead by Nobody: 11:36am On Jul 21, 2013
You know.. Deism is always an option..
Re: Abraham's Bosom & Different Eras Of The Dead by Nobody: 11:47am On Jul 21, 2013
musKeeto: You know.. Deism is always an option..

You lost me here, why ?
Re: Abraham's Bosom & Different Eras Of The Dead by Nobody: 4:33pm On Jul 21, 2013
no one seems to know the answer to this simple question ?
Re: Abraham's Bosom & Different Eras Of The Dead by Nobody: 4:36pm On Jul 21, 2013
frosbel: I had a strange thought this morning as I was reading scripture and a beautiful book 'The Amazing Aims and Claims of Jesus: What You Didn't Learn in Church [Kindle Edition]' by Sir Anthony Buzzard.

It goes like this, if all the dead who died went to be in Abraham's Bosom , where did those who died before Abraham go to , especially the multitudes who died in the flood.

Please be honest in your response.

Thanks.

Frosbel.
please where did the bible claim all those who die go to abrahams bosom?
Re: Abraham's Bosom & Different Eras Of The Dead by Nobody: 4:45pm On Jul 21, 2013
Chibuebem: please where did the bible claim all those who die go to abrahams bosom?

Some brethren suggest that the dead before Christ went down to Abraham's bosom , an idea derived from the parable of the rich man and Lazarus.
Re: Abraham's Bosom & Different Eras Of The Dead by Nobody: 5:28pm On Jul 21, 2013
Let me borrow benalvino phrase.. “Abraham’s side” was another name for heaven at the time.
Re: Abraham's Bosom & Different Eras Of The Dead by Nobody: 5:31pm On Jul 21, 2013
Bidam: Let me borrow benalvino phrase.. “Abraham’s side” was another name for heaven at the time.

1. But Abraham's bosom is supposed to be below and not above , hmmm, so how can heaven be Abraham's bosom, since Heaven is always above ?

2. What was this place called before Abraham ?
Re: Abraham's Bosom & Different Eras Of The Dead by AlfaSeltzer(m): 6:05pm On Jul 21, 2013
frosbel:

1. But Abraham's bosom is supposed to be below and not above , hmmm, so how can heaven be Abraham's bosom, since Heaven is always above ?

above what?
Re: Abraham's Bosom & Different Eras Of The Dead by noblefada: 6:41pm On Jul 21, 2013
@frosbel very interesting topic, preparing a response will be with u soon
Re: Abraham's Bosom & Different Eras Of The Dead by Nobody: 7:39pm On Jul 21, 2013
noblefada: @frosbel very interesting topic, preparing a response will be with u soon

thanks
Re: Abraham's Bosom & Different Eras Of The Dead by AlfaSeltzer(m): 8:00pm On Jul 21, 2013
frosbel:

thanks

Care to answer my question or is it too hard for a godly brain?
Re: Abraham's Bosom & Different Eras Of The Dead by noblefada: 8:12pm On Jul 21, 2013
A very interesting topic @frosbel and I try answer the question raised. But first I want to clarify what you left out in ur OP, not everyone that died before Christ went to paradise or Abraham's bosom, but only those who believed and had faith and hope in the salvation work of Christ.
Now that being said lets proceed. Abraham's bosom is located in hades also called Gehenna or Sheol translated in English the grave or place of the dead. God did not create Hell because Gen 1: 31 says And God saw every thing that he had made, and, behold, it was very good. And the evening and the morning were the sixth day. Hell was as a result for man's disobedience, for had God said the day you eat of the fruit you shall surely died. You see God created man to live forever (pls I'm avoiding quoting too many scriptures so the response will not be too long, pls bear with me), but when man ate the fruit sin entered and death through sin so all men died.
Rom 5:12-14 KJV 12: Wherefore, as by one man sin entered into the world, and death by sin; and so death passed upon all men, for that all have sinned:
13: (For until the law sin was in the world: but sin is not imputed when there is no law. 14: Nevertheless death reigned from Adam to Moses, even over them that had not sinned after the similitude of Adam's transgression, who is the figure of him that was to come.
So death fell on men and held them captive and because God had no plans for it, death held men captive beneath the earth (i.e a spiritual realm below that of the earth, so pls its not physical, u can't dig downwards and get to hell) so before Christ all men went to Hades or the grave.
(to be continued, pls I will not be answering any questions till I finish the post).
Re: Abraham's Bosom & Different Eras Of The Dead by yemisolar(m): 8:25pm On Jul 21, 2013
Abraham's bosom doesn't literally mean his chest. its just like saying Abraham's dome, palace or corner. i believe this does not mean all of heaven(at the time) but the location where Lazarus was.

as for those who think the story of the rich man and Lazarus was a parable, i suggest you go and read the passage again.

frosbel:

1) paradise before Jesus resurrected was under the earth. that is why when Saul called on Samuel at the house of the witch of endor the bible says 'Samuel came up'. also, Ephesians makes us understand that Jesus descended to hell before going up to heaven. He went to 'liberate' the people there and took them to heaven. that is why Matthew's account of the resurrection says the saints that were dead were seen on the streets of Jerusalem before they went to heaven. Paul confirms this when He said 'i knew a man who was caught up to the third heaven' the next verse he called the same place paradise. so that is how Abraham's bosom is now in heaven (above).

2) paradise

just my 2 kobo
Re: Abraham's Bosom & Different Eras Of The Dead by noblefada: 9:28pm On Jul 21, 2013
So Abraham's bosom is in the regions of Hades but there was a difference btw the place where people who believe in Christ and those who did not
Luk 16:22-26 KJV 22: And it came to pass, that the beggar died, and was carried by the angels into Abraham's bosom: the rich man also died, and was buried;
23: And in hell he lift up his eyes, being in torments, and seeth Abraham afar off, and Lazarus in his bosom.
24: And he cried and said, Father Abraham, have mercy on me, and send Lazarus, that he may dip the tip of his finger in water, and cool my tongue; for I am tormented in this flame.
25: But Abraham said, Son, remember that thou in thy lifetime receivedst thy good things, and likewise Lazarus evil things: but now he is comforted, and thou art tormented.
26: And beside all this, between us and you there is a great gulf fixed: so that they which would pass from hence to you cannot; neither can they pass to us, that would come from thence.
This was so because in Gen 3:15 God had promised man salvation. Gen 3:15 And I will put enmity between thee and the woman, and between thy seed and her seed; it shall bruise thy head, and thou shalt bruise his heel.
So the fallen man had hope for redemption and to redeem them from death and that hope and believe was what gave them light and peace in paradise why those in the other side were in darkness and torment. Let me use an illustration to try and explain this. For instance if Dr. Alinko Dangote tells me, Mr Noble I want to give u 50 million naira, but it will be available in Dec 25, 2013, but I'll give u a post dated cheque and a cover letter as a token of my commitment. So atleast within Nigeria I can use those 2 documents and enjoy goodwill, I can approach a bank and collect a loan to buy a car or house and enjoy myself b4 the December due date for cheque simply because in Nigeria Dangote is very credit worthy and can be trusted. So in the same way all those in paradise had hope, a post dated cheque which could only be cashed after the death and resurrection of Jesus Christ. Hope ur following?
Now paradise was also called Abraham bosom because it was thru the faith of Abraham that the way out of the power of grave was first made manifest. Abraham was the first man God cloth with righteousness, for Abraham believed God and it was counted for righteousness (Gen 15:6) and because he believed God so much and was willing to sacrifice his only son Isaac as a for shadow of Christ in Gen 22 and that act made him a father of faith and an example for those that will believe
Rom 4:18-24 18: Who against hope believed in hope, that he might become the father of many nations; according to that which was spoken, So shall thy seed be.
19: And being not weak in faith, he considered not his own body now dead, when he was about an hundred years old, neither yet the deadness of Sarah's womb:
20: He staggered not at the promise of God through unbelief; but was strong in faith, giving glory to God;
21: And being fully persuaded that, what he had promised, he was able also to perform. 22: And therefore it was imputed to him for righteousness.
23: Now it was not written for his sake alone, that it was imputed to him;
24: But for us also, to whom it shall be imputed, if we believe on him that raised up Jesus our Lord from the dead;
So to ur question all who died b4 Abraham went to paradise including Abraham himself, but paradise was also called Abraham's because thru Abraham the way people where going to be set free was first established. I can go into more mysteries but let me stop here. Shalom
Re: Abraham's Bosom & Different Eras Of The Dead by Kobojunkie: 4:56pm On Mar 24, 2023
■ I had a strange thought this morning as I was reading scripture and a beautiful book 'The Amazing Aims and Claims of Jesus: What You Didn't Learn in Church [Kindle Edition]' by Sir Anthony Buzzard. It goes like this, if all the dead who died went to be in Abraham's Bosom , where did those who died before Abraham go to , especially the multitudes who died in the flood.
Not all those who died after Abraham went to Abraham's bosom or Paradise — the grave. Instead, only the righteous dead end up in Paradise aka the grave. Only those who were rewarded with eternal life get to sleep in their grave. All others perish in the grave — cease to exist after death. undecided
Re: Abraham's Bosom & Different Eras Of The Dead by Kobojunkie: 4:58pm On Mar 24, 2023
yemisolar:
■ Abraham's bosom doesn't literally mean his chest. its just like saying Abraham's dome, palace or corner. i believe this does not mean all of heaven(at the time) but the location where Lazarus was. as for those who think the story of the rich man and Lazarus was a parable, i suggest you go and read the passage again.
1) paradise before Jesus resurrected was under the earth. that is why when Saul called on Samuel at the house of the witch of endor the bible says 'Samuel came up'. also, Ephesians makes us understand that Jesus descended to hell before going up to heaven. He went to 'liberate' the people there and took them to heaven. that is why Matthew's account of the resurrection says the saints that were dead were seen on the streets of Jerusalem before they went to heaven. Paul confirms this when He said 'i knew a man who was caught up to the third heaven' the next verse he called the same place paradise. so that is how Abraham's bosom is now in heaven (above).
2) paradise
1. It is indeed a parable. Following the conversation that Jesus Christ had with the thief on the cross, it turns out paradise literally means the grave, and yes, the dead aren't conscious or asleep— it is written in scripture and Jesus Christ Himself confirmed this in the case of Lazarus, His friend — and so the content of Luke 16 is confirmed a parable by that. undecided

The promise that Jesus Christ made to the thief on the cross is that he, the thief, would be with Him, Jesus Christ, in paradise that same day. And we confirm from what is written Jesus Christ was in the grave that very same day and remained there for 3 days afterward. Invariably, Jesus Christ's promise to the thief was that he, the thief, would die that same day as opposed to hanging alive on the cross for many days after, which was a common occurrence for many of the victims of crucifixion back then. undecided
Re: Abraham's Bosom & Different Eras Of The Dead by Kobojunkie: 7:01pm On Mar 24, 2023
noblefada:
■ So Abraham's bosom is in the regions of Hades but there was a difference btw the place where people who believe in Christ and those who did not
■ So to ur question all who died b4 Abraham went to paradise including Abraham himself, but paradise was also called Abraham's because thru Abraham the way people where going to be set free was first established. I can go into more mysteries but let me stop here. Shalom
1. Abraham’s bosom is simply a euphemism for the grave. And from scripture, we know that the righteous dead sleep in their graves, meaning that they are not conscious, so from that we can understand that the parable of Lazarus and the rich man told of in Luke 16 is indeed a parable. undecided

2. Paradise is also euphemism for the grave where the righteous dead of old sleep awaiting the resurrection. This we can resolve from the conversation Jesus Christ had with the thief on the cross. What is clear is that by his interaction with Jesus Christ, the thief was able to obtain eternal by the standard that is Ezekiel 33 vs 10 - 20. Now the promise Jesus Christ made to the thief afterwards is where one easily gets lost. Jesus Christ told promised the thief that he, the thief, would be with Him, Jesus Christ, that same day in paradise. Well, Jesus Christ died and was in the grave that same day where he remained for the 3 days after. So, the promise was that the thief would die and be in the grave that day as opposed to hanging for days afterwards on the cross, a phenomenon which was not uncommon for victims of crucifixion back even during that time. undecided
Re: Abraham's Bosom & Different Eras Of The Dead by Truuth: 7:31pm On Mar 24, 2023
The righteous men who lived after Abraham like daniel,david,mekshah, Solomon went to a special place called Abraham's Bosom awaiting the resurrection of Christ as Abraham was their spiritual father.

As for those who lived before Abraham - I don't know.
Re: Abraham's Bosom & Different Eras Of The Dead by EMILO2STAY(m): 12:14am On Mar 25, 2023
Kobojunkie:
1. Abraham’s bosom is simply a euphemism for the grave. And from scripture, we know that the righteous dead sleep in their graves, meaning that they are not conscious, so from that we can understand that the parable of Lazarus and the rich man told of in Luke 16 is indeed a parable. undecided

2. Paradise is also euphemism for the grave where the righteous dead of old sleep awaiting the resurrection. This we can resolve from the conversation Jesus Christ had with the thief on the cross. What is clear is that by his interaction with Jesus Christ, the thief was able to obtain eternal by the standard that is Ezekiel 33 vs 10 - 20. Now the promise Jesus Christ made to the thief afterwards is where one easily gets lost. Jesus Christ told promised the thief that he, the thief, would be with Him, Jesus Christ, that same day in paradise. Well, Jesus Christ died and was in the grave that same day where he remained for the 3 days after. So, the promise was that the thief would die and be in the grave that day as opposed to hanging for days afterwards on the cross, a phenomenon which was not uncommon for victims of crucifixion back even during that time. undecided
false! absolutely false
Re: Abraham's Bosom & Different Eras Of The Dead by EMILO2STAY(m): 12:14am On Mar 25, 2023
Truuth:
The righteous men who lived after Abraham like daniel,david,mekshah, Solomon went to a special place called Abraham's Bosom awaiting the resurrection of Christ as Abraham was their spiritual father.

As for those who lived before Abraham - I don't know.
Wrong! they are dead and in their grave.
Re: Abraham's Bosom & Different Eras Of The Dead by Kobojunkie: 12:30am On Mar 25, 2023
Truuth:
■ The righteous men who lived after Abraham like daniel,david,mekshah, Solomon went to a special place called Abraham's Bosom awaiting the resurrection of Christ as Abraham was their spiritual father.
■ As for those who lived before Abraham - I don't know.
1. Abraham's bosom was euphemism used in a parable to refer to the grave aka paradise. It is where the righteous dead go to sleep and wait for the resurrection. Those who died outside of God simply perish in the grave meaning they cease to exist and cannot be found in the grave at all. undecided

2. They righteous dead, before the time of Abraham, are also in the grave aka paradise where all the righteous dead sleep waiting the resurrection. undecided
Re: Abraham's Bosom & Different Eras Of The Dead by Kobojunkie: 12:30am On Mar 25, 2023
EMILO2STAY:
false! absolutely false
undecided

(1) (Reply)

Same Sex Marriage: Catholic High School Teacher Fired For Being Gay! / Ten Common Misunderstandings About Atheists / Salvation Ministries (HS) Members' Lounge

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.