Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,764 members, 7,809,939 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 05:33 PM

A Thread For Biochemistry Students, Biochemists And Those Aspiring To Be One. - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / A Thread For Biochemistry Students, Biochemists And Those Aspiring To Be One. (15046 Views)

**Great Biochemists; Lets Meet Here** / The Emerging Biochemists / Best Masters Programme For Biochemistry In UK? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: A Thread For Biochemistry Students, Biochemists And Those Aspiring To Be One. by Nobody: 11:59am On Sep 05, 2013
ilkhddtyg
Re: A Thread For Biochemistry Students, Biochemists And Those Aspiring To Be One. by Nobody: 12:12pm On Sep 05, 2013
lkhfdsz
Re: A Thread For Biochemistry Students, Biochemists And Those Aspiring To Be One. by Iniobon(m): 12:22pm On Sep 05, 2013
Am a Biochemist but want to say i regret been one. I left school well equipped but there were no area to invest my skills after five years of graduation and the skills were not only gone but out- dated. Nigeria society does not support research cos that is the major area where a Biochemist can fit in. Someone mention working in research Lab But i want to let you know that those area are now professionalised. If you are not registered as a lab scientist, you cant work in a lab. And to be registered as a lab scientist you must have a cert in SLT. These leaves the Biochemist floating . You go to the food sector its same, they need professionals, you need be reg to be able to work with them. The pharmaceutical industries its same, accept you want to be in the marketing sector. However one sector of Biochemistry is still left untapped that is the forensic bch and Enzymology even though we are constrained by poor facilities. Every other sector or field of BCH, there are competitors from other fields. In all the study of Biochemistry in nigeria is more or less theoretic even at masters level and percentage of them end up with chalk.

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Biochemistry Students, Biochemists And Those Aspiring To Be One. by Diakpa(m): 7:37pm On Sep 05, 2013
Kunlexic: I wish 2 study SLT @ poly but due to d competitn and the cut-off for d course,i den think nutrition and dietetics will be okay.Pls is it possible to use OND in nut/diet to get pharmacy or biochem course thru D.E?
Have you gotten admission into a poly yet? If no, are you still interested in getting admission into a poly to study SLT? If your answer is yes, please holla me here or follow me on twitter with: @diakpa.
Re: A Thread For Biochemistry Students, Biochemists And Those Aspiring To Be One. by Diakpa(m): 8:01pm On Sep 05, 2013
Iniobon: Am a Biochemist but want to say i regret been one. I left school well equipped but there were no area to invest my skills after five years of graduation and the skills were not only gone but out- dated. Nigeria society does not support research cos that is the major area where a Biochemist can fit in. Someone mention working in research Lab But i want to let you know that those area are now professionalised. If you are not registered as a lab scientist, you cant work in a lab. And to be registered as a lab scientist you must have a cert in SLT. These leaves the Biochemist floating . You go to the food sector its same, they need professionals, you need be reg to be able to work with them. The pharmaceutical industries its same, accept you want to be in the marketing sector. However one sector of Biochemistry is still left untapped that is the forensic bch and Enzymology even though we are constrained by poor facilities. Every other sector or field of BCH, there are competitors from other fields. In all the study of Biochemistry in nigeria is more or less theoretic even at masters level and percentage of them end up with chalk.
My dear, you'd definitely be left behind if you don't know how to sell yourself. I believe you should know that majority of the diagnostic tests carried out the hospital labs are done using biochemical principles. That's where you as a Biochemist comes in. As for Nutrition, you should also know that thereks a branch of Biochemistry that deals with Nutrition/Dietrics. Same with Environmental Biochemistry/Toxicology and Pharmaceutical Biochemistry/Toxicology. I'd advise you to go for an M.Sc degree, if you have the means to do that. Other than that, you can try to fix yourself somewhere, even if it means being the classroom, until a better job opportunity presents itself.
Re: A Thread For Biochemistry Students, Biochemists And Those Aspiring To Be One. by tomclem5: 8:49pm On Sep 05, 2013
Wotz d difference btw medical biochemistry nd biochemistry
Re: A Thread For Biochemistry Students, Biochemists And Those Aspiring To Be One. by Kunlexic(m): 10:17pm On Sep 05, 2013
Diakpa:
Have you gotten admission into a poly yet? If no, are you still interested in getting admission into a poly to study SLT? If your answer is yes, please holla me here or call me on: 07086715200.
tanx 4 ur reply to dis post bro but y dnt we discuss what we want to say here or i shd drop my e-mail-kunlex4real95@gmail.com.
Re: A Thread For Biochemistry Students, Biochemists And Those Aspiring To Be One. by ajoskele(m): 9:14am On Sep 06, 2013
Biosphere: how tough is biochemistry?
No course is ''untough'',bro..Just av d strong believe U̶̲̥̅̊ gonna beat all odds..and d pathways cud be frustrating sometimes!!!

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Biochemistry Students, Biochemists And Those Aspiring To Be One. by ajoskele(m): 9:25am On Sep 06, 2013
Iniobon: Am a Biochemist but want to say i regret been one. I left school well equipped but there were no area to invest my skills after five years of graduation and the skills were not only gone but out- dated. Nigeria society does not support research cos that is the major area where a Biochemist can fit in. Someone mention working in research Lab But i want to let you know that those area are now professionalised. If you are not registered as a lab scientist, you cant work in a lab. And to be registered as a lab scientist you must have a cert in SLT. These leaves the Biochemist floating . You go to the food sector its same, they need professionals, you need be reg to be able to work with them. The pharmaceutical industries its same, accept you want to be in the marketing sector. However one sector of Biochemistry is still left untapped that is the forensic bch and Enzymology even though we are constrained by poor facilities. Every other sector or field of BCH, there are competitors from other fields. In all the study of Biochemistry in nigeria is more or less theoretic even at masters level and percentage of them end up with chalk.
Bros,it's tru witout SLT cert. U̶̲̥̅̊ can't work in d labs buh Ȋ̝̊̅ must tell U̶̲̥̅̊ Ȋ̝̊̅ av older colleagues dat are employed in various firms and are very comfortable:breweries,fud processing and other fMCGs.Some are even lecturing..Bros,abeg nor bring ur frustration come nairaland ooh,it's discouraging!!!!!
Re: A Thread For Biochemistry Students, Biochemists And Those Aspiring To Be One. by mayorall(m): 10:38am On Sep 06, 2013
Can someone please explain if or how protein sparing effect of carbohydrate and fat affect weight.
Re: A Thread For Biochemistry Students, Biochemists And Those Aspiring To Be One. by IamSassy(f): 1:41pm On Sep 06, 2013
@johndwayy. So far, I lyk everythin dat as to do wit proteins and nucloetides. But d aspect I find challengin is d different pathways
Re: A Thread For Biochemistry Students, Biochemists And Those Aspiring To Be One. by tomclem5: 1:48pm On Sep 06, 2013
different btw medical biochemistry nd biochem. Can a medical biochem work in a lab
Re: A Thread For Biochemistry Students, Biochemists And Those Aspiring To Be One. by johndwayy(m): 1:59pm On Sep 06, 2013
IamSassy: @johndwayy. So far, I lyk everythin dat as to do wit proteins and nucloetides. But d aspect I find challengin is d different pathways

did i hear u say nucleotides? 4 me i think dey re d most difficult, esp purine biosynthesis, porphyrin & heme biosynthesis... followed by proteins, cos u hv to knw d synthesis nd degradation of each of d amino acids. Carbohydrates pathways re quite easier to understand cos glucose is @ d crossroad of each of these pathways. Wot abt enzymology??
Re: A Thread For Biochemistry Students, Biochemists And Those Aspiring To Be One. by Diakpa(m): 7:33am On Sep 07, 2013
Kunlexic: tanx 4 ur reply to dis post bro but y dnt we discuss what we want to say here or i shd drop my e-mail-kunlex4real95@gmail.com.
I don't have any problem discussing anything with you here. It's just that the polytechnic where I work (Delta State School of Marine Technology, Burutu) is currently selling admission forms, and you can apply to study SLT there. If you need the full admission details and to check for authenthicity, visit: www.deltastatesomatech.edu.ng
Re: A Thread For Biochemistry Students, Biochemists And Those Aspiring To Be One. by eremy: 9:14am On Sep 07, 2013
Biochemistry is the bedrock of Pharmacy and Medicine.

To get good job placements with a degree in BCH,
1. Study well and excel (it is not he that read pass that pass pass,Lol)

2. Be able to explain the concepts you have learnt on the course

3. Be able to sell yourself

4. Prepare for an exam/interview as thoroughly as practicable.

5. Add value to yourself however possible
.Thank God for the internet.

6. Get a higher degree

7. Become your own boss(manufacturing on a small scale)

In all, bear in mind that competition is fierce in the job market and good companies go only for the best.

Many Biochemists work in breweries, pharmaceuticals(Emzor, GSK), FMCG companies(Unilever, Reckitt Benkiser, PZ, P&G),etc.

I am a brewer and I studied Biochemistry.

3 Likes

Re: A Thread For Biochemistry Students, Biochemists And Those Aspiring To Be One. by Nobody: 9:15am On Sep 07, 2013
I have been following this thread for some time now, just want to hola @ you all, though a Microbiology student of University of Abuja, just saying hi to you guys

1 Like

Re: A Thread For Biochemistry Students, Biochemists And Those Aspiring To Be One. by JewelBukky(f): 2:37pm On Sep 07, 2013
Just to say hi too... Luv d thread nd m really learnin frm d ques n replies... Weldone!
Re: A Thread For Biochemistry Students, Biochemists And Those Aspiring To Be One. by feyisayorrr: 12:29pm On Sep 08, 2013
eremy: Biochemistry is the bedrock of Pharmacy and Medicine.

To get good job placements with a degree in BCH,
1. Study well and excel (it is not he that read pass that pass pass,Lol)

2. Be able to explain the concepts you have learnt on the course

3. Be able to sell yourself

4. Prepare for an exam/interview as thoroughly as practicable.

5. Add value to yourself however possible
.Thank God for the internet.

6. Get a higher degree

7. Become your own boss(manufacturing on a small scale)

In all, bear in mind that competition is fierce in the job market and good companies go only for the best.

Many Biochemists work in breweries, pharmaceuticals(Emzor, GSK), FMCG companies(Unilever, Reckitt Benkiser, PZ, P&G),etc.

I am a brewer and I studied Biochemistry.
...thnx sis,i'm an aspirant of biochem,i will luv 2 av ur details may b ur facebook username will just do...who knows,u cud b of help 2 me in d nearest future.
Re: A Thread For Biochemistry Students, Biochemists And Those Aspiring To Be One. by Biosphere(m): 11:48pm On Sep 08, 2013
Great job goin on here. Tnx 4 d piece of advicn n enlightenment. Kip it up great metabolites!
Re: A Thread For Biochemistry Students, Biochemists And Those Aspiring To Be One. by IamSassy(f): 9:10pm On Sep 09, 2013
smiley@johndwayy. remember i said i am a 200l student.i prefer nucleotide and protein to carbohydrates and lipids maybe cos of the little i know about them for now. maybe when i move further, my orientation about each of them will change. smiley

2 Likes

Re: A Thread For Biochemistry Students, Biochemists And Those Aspiring To Be One. by Datshyguy(m): 6:30pm On Sep 13, 2013
mayorall: Can someone please explain if or how protein sparing effect of carbohydrate and fat affect weight.
is this a project topic? if no help urself with a textbook or use google
Re: A Thread For Biochemistry Students, Biochemists And Those Aspiring To Be One. by Datshyguy(m): 6:35pm On Sep 13, 2013
It seems i am the odd one here
Re: A Thread For Biochemistry Students, Biochemists And Those Aspiring To Be One. by Shollyps(m): 9:20pm On Sep 13, 2013
Just got admitted to study biochemistry at FUTA.hw is d course,because all i dey read here say witout OND in SLT is nt 2 gud.cos am already studying SLT at poly going to nd2 but i want to leave der and focus fully on bch.pls advice
Re: A Thread For Biochemistry Students, Biochemists And Those Aspiring To Be One. by tomclem5: 10:57pm On Sep 13, 2013
uniben gat biochemistry nd medical biochemistry,wotz d difference btw d 2?uniben gat biochemistry nd medical biochemistry,wotz d difference btw d 2?uniben gat biochemistry nd medical biochemistry,wotz d difference btw d 2?
Re: A Thread For Biochemistry Students, Biochemists And Those Aspiring To Be One. by Nobody: 12:06am On Sep 15, 2013
its ur type that graduated with 3rd class or pass..your ability to sell urself matters a lot.talking about job,is there a course that can guarantee u a job,is it pet eng,law,theatre arts.geology,mech eng.theres is no guaranteed job for any course,.wat matters most in nigeria is ur ability to sel yourself and your connection.,my cousin read biochemistry in u.i and has been working with ndlea for more than 5yrs,he is living large..u can become watever u want to become if uve got d right mindset and work towards it
ifeanyi,futo
Re: A Thread For Biochemistry Students, Biochemists And Those Aspiring To Be One. by IamSassy(f): 9:15pm On Sep 15, 2013
Ifyikillz:
its ur type that graduated with 3rd class or pass..your ability to sell urself matters a lot.talking about job,is there a course that can guarantee u a job,is it pet eng,law,theatre arts.geology,mech eng.theres is no guaranteed job for any course,.wat matters most in nigeria is ur ability to sel yourself and your connection.,my cousin read biochemistry in u.i and has been working with ndlea for more than 5yrs,he is living large..u can become watever u want to become if uve got d right mindset and work towards it
ifeanyi,futo

Maybe he does not know o.
Re: A Thread For Biochemistry Students, Biochemists And Those Aspiring To Be One. by Profcamsey(m): 10:26pm On Sep 18, 2013
Ama Eksuite. Great Metabolyts (AcetylCOA).
Re: A Thread For Biochemistry Students, Biochemists And Those Aspiring To Be One. by Shollyps(m): 9:00am On Oct 06, 2013
Dnt let dis thread die o
Re: A Thread For Biochemistry Students, Biochemists And Those Aspiring To Be One. by Swagakid(m): 9:49am On Oct 06, 2013
greatest chemisite...bch z an extraordinary course....am a 300level student studyinq industrial biochemistry...in cross river state university of technology#crutech#....biochem ah must say has taught me manythings...initially ah wanted med surg...but ma jamb cut off was low#198#...so ah applied for anatomy nd biochem as 2nd choice....i can bet you now...am so loving biochem....acid z in our DNA....
Re: A Thread For Biochemistry Students, Biochemists And Those Aspiring To Be One. by Shollyps(m): 1:37pm On Oct 06, 2013
Swagakid: greatest chemisite...bch z an extraordinary course....am a 300level student studyinq industrial biochemistry...in cross river state university of technology#crutech#....biochem ah must say has taught me manythings...initially ah wanted med surg...but ma jamb cut off was low#198#...so ah applied for anatomy nd biochem as 2nd choice....i can bet you now...am so loving biochem....acid z in our DNA....
GOD IS UR STRENTH BRO
Re: A Thread For Biochemistry Students, Biochemists And Those Aspiring To Be One. by KunAviero(m): 11:15pm On Sep 04, 2014
Kunlexic: Iam an aspirant and i wish to study pharmacy but i put in 4 bch as my 2nd choice course,all are still d same,xo wlc me as i am hear to gain experience on the course.
Oh dear here they come. Please don't make the mistake of thinking that pharmacy and biochemistry are related. They are similar but pharmacy is much more tougher than biochemistry. You get to write professional exams in pharmacy with a possibility of studying the course for way more than five years that is if you are among those that just rushed in and registered for the course without actually knowing what it is all about;without knowing that it is as tough as preparing for a neurosurgery final exam. Biochemistry on the other hand is a four year course that guarantees you graduation in four years and a minimum of 2.2 because, though it is tough, it is something you enjoy practice in your everyday life.
Re: A Thread For Biochemistry Students, Biochemists And Those Aspiring To Be One. by MohdGMohd: 11:36am On Jan 16, 2015
Hi.frnds i'm new here pls.help me,what are the DEPARTMENTAL COURSES OF B.sc.Biochemistry at 100 Level.i need your replies.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

NDA Postpones Screening Test For 72 Regular Courses / Courses Available In NDA Short Service And DSSC / Sylvester Oromoni: Police Investigate 4 More Dowen College Students

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.