Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,785 members, 7,831,543 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 08:28 PM

Do You Stand Up For The Elderly In Public Transports? - Nairaland / General (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Do You Stand Up For The Elderly In Public Transports? (11353 Views)

White Man Urinating In Public In Lagos (photos) / Lifeless Body Of An Elderly Man Along Airport Road Ikeja [photos] / Who Would You Stand For Among The Following People And Give Your Reasons? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Do You Stand Up For The Elderly In Public Transports? by Nobody: 10:31pm On Jul 22, 2013
Do it as an act of respect and love not for what will hapn or be said.
There are two groups of pple u shud always be kind to:children and old pple. Thou some can be annoying but I try hard to ignore them and do what is right.evn youths dependin on d person's condition but if he or she is fit,sori o!u go stand.
adaobi123: Yes, if not the granny crew will be on your case. undecided tongue
Re: Do You Stand Up For The Elderly In Public Transports? by fredoooooo: 10:31pm On Jul 22, 2013
Egba girl: Most times I do but there are times when I'm lost in my own world that it doesn't really hit me that there's an elderly person standing and I should get up for them. But I def try to whenever I can.

good gal , omo odo agba grin
Re: Do You Stand Up For The Elderly In Public Transports? by Rooneyboy(m): 10:35pm On Jul 22, 2013
mikolo80: HELL NO.THEY bleeped THE COUNTRY UP, TRANSPORT SYSTEM INCLUDED SO LET THEM STAND

For some reasons unknown, I just love this comment .
Re: Do You Stand Up For The Elderly In Public Transports? by omonla10(m): 10:37pm On Jul 22, 2013
That law can't work in a molue where bus fare for sitting is double cost of standing. D elderly go refuse f seat offer sharperly
Re: Do You Stand Up For The Elderly In Public Transports? by joe4christ(m): 10:38pm On Jul 22, 2013
Mehn, it largely depends on my mood at that time o.
Re: Do You Stand Up For The Elderly In Public Transports? by tonygee1(m): 10:39pm On Jul 22, 2013
I have dis reserved respect for old people and undying love for children I can do any thin for them
Re: Do You Stand Up For The Elderly In Public Transports? by Nobody: 10:43pm On Jul 22, 2013
Yes sincely speaking u can't see me sitting why an elder stands.
Re: Do You Stand Up For The Elderly In Public Transports? by Nobody: 10:43pm On Jul 22, 2013
Another yaba left patient
mikolo80: HELL NO.THEY bleeped THE COUNTRY UP, TRANSPORT SYSTEM INCLUDED SO LET THEM STAND

1 Like

Re: Do You Stand Up For The Elderly In Public Transports? by tomzman: 10:53pm On Jul 22, 2013
Yeah! I made it to fp for the second time this year. Thanks mods!

The comments so far have been amazing. It's nice to see different opinions on an issue that concerns our everyday lives.

Keep the comments coming!
Re: Do You Stand Up For The Elderly In Public Transports? by Nobody: 10:56pm On Jul 22, 2013
For many Nigerians, especiallly those from a particular geo-political zone, the concept of respect is essentially double-standard 'eye-service'. That's why you would see 90-year old men grovelling before Mike Adenuga because he is who he is, but the same agbayas would make noise about how 89-year old men didn't prostrate before them, how 1 year is a massive difference that necessitates "respect", or to put it simply, how important "respect" is in their culture.

Anyways, in the finest traditions of TRUE respect, I would CERTAINLY give up my seat to an elderly (not necessarily older) person in the same bus or train or whatever. It's just manners/courtesy/good breeding, in most cases. Elderly people, the weak, and the infirm should always enjoy privileges that are necessitated by their circumstances. . . .except in cases where they behave like buffoons by disrespecting themselves (e.g. the ignoble laureate godfather of cultism with unkempt hair).

1 Like

Re: Do You Stand Up For The Elderly In Public Transports? by Beey(f): 11:11pm On Jul 22, 2013
Beey: I used to do that when I was in Kenya but let's. be real, shouldn't the person see that the vehicle is packed before getting in??
Re: Do You Stand Up For The Elderly In Public Transports? by babsomotde(m): 11:12pm On Jul 22, 2013
Yes....
Re: Do You Stand Up For The Elderly In Public Transports? by ann14(f): 11:13pm On Jul 22, 2013
[quote author=Afam4eva]I do that all the time. I was even given an award for it.[/quote na who we go ask?
Re: Do You Stand Up For The Elderly In Public Transports? by lacicrips(m): 11:24pm On Jul 22, 2013
Standing is a good exercise for them.
Re: Do You Stand Up For The Elderly In Public Transports? by lacicrips(m): 11:28pm On Jul 22, 2013
Rooneyboy:

For some reasons unknown, I just love this comment .

What's there to love? People stand in the US and other countries with better economy - Does that make their country fu.cked up? He has no sense.
Re: Do You Stand Up For The Elderly In Public Transports? by bolayei: 12:03am On Jul 23, 2013
Irrespective of location, priority should always be given to senior citizens(elderly people), disabled and pregnant women,they can even ask you to get up its a right.An English police is obliged to take off his hat for a pregnant woman to urinate if she is pressed in public. Priority for the elderly is not a culture or African thing its just morals
Re: Do You Stand Up For The Elderly In Public Transports? by Vicuca: 12:09am On Jul 23, 2013
Yes i stand up for them any time i have the opportunity.
Re: Do You Stand Up For The Elderly In Public Transports? by InvertedHammer: 2:17am On Jul 23, 2013

1 Like

Re: Do You Stand Up For The Elderly In Public Transports? by koredex4love(m): 4:03am On Jul 23, 2013
Not just for an elderly person but also to pregnant women and nursing women backing a baby.I do this regularly in brt no matter how Idressed.
Re: Do You Stand Up For The Elderly In Public Transports? by Nobody: 5:42am On Jul 23, 2013
Provided he/she is directly beside me,and old enough to b my father or mother,not like an uncle or aunty.Actually i'v not done that b4,but whenever i'm standing in a BRT bus with an elderly person,i don't struggle to sit down whenever someone sitting down alight at any bus stop
Re: Do You Stand Up For The Elderly In Public Transports? by drake2(m): 6:09am On Jul 23, 2013
tomzman: Cool day to everyone!
I just want to have your opinion on this. For those of us who stay in places like Lagos, there are times when you see an old man or woman entering a bus especially BRT and there's no empty seat, which means..... standing things (lol). Do you always or would you give up your seat for such a person? Let's discuss and please be sincere.

This ain't ur original idea, is it?
seems u watch alot of free chinese TV on Strong Decoder. That was where I saw ds stuff, but u posted it as if u originated d thought ; WHY?
Re: Do You Stand Up For The Elderly In Public Transports? by Vansnickers: 6:50am On Jul 23, 2013
yuzedo: ALWAYS! cool

.. I mean, no, wait! I dont enter publick transpot. I have chaffuer driver wit rose roys plis! embarassed u treaked me!! cry angry

LMAO!!!!!!! grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Do You Stand Up For The Elderly In Public Transports? by TruthFM(m): 7:04am On Jul 23, 2013
If the old guy smells of cheap liquor or mawawee am so not standing up. But if responsible i will gladly stand up.
Re: Do You Stand Up For The Elderly In Public Transports? by TruthFM(m): 7:06am On Jul 23, 2013
[quote author=Beey][/quote]

If they could see clearly then they wont be called old.
Re: Do You Stand Up For The Elderly In Public Transports? by BlackHuman(m): 7:31am On Jul 23, 2013
I can do it for pregnant ladies or the physically challenged. but not for an "whole bodied" old man/woman.....we seem to have this subconcious misconception that old people are very "nice" and should be treated with sympathy. i don't buy that.infact, many old people are terrible they're just old in age.so a lot of weak minded people get this "eeyah" feeling of sympathy for them. and yes; if i were an old man and a young person did'nt stand up for me, i won't have a problem with it. afterall, it's his/her right, and i'm not the one feeding him/her neither have i contributed anything to his/her life.
Re: Do You Stand Up For The Elderly In Public Transports? by dust144(m): 7:47am On Jul 23, 2013
When they are other free buses? I won't. I might stand up for pregnant ladies and very very one once.
Re: Do You Stand Up For The Elderly In Public Transports? by Okijajuju1(m): 7:50am On Jul 23, 2013
I always did when I was abroad.. Infact, it was a law and they had seat reserved for them on the bus.. But ever since I started doing business with Chief Sweetus Oyoyo Yuzedo, I no longer have need for that. I am now a bigs boy.

1 Like

Re: Do You Stand Up For The Elderly In Public Transports? by back2sender: 7:58am On Jul 23, 2013
I got the most embarrassing moment in my life when a white colleague of mine and I were in a train travelling from Paris to Brussels. the white guy is from our Spain office and we met at the airport on our way for a course in Brussels, when the train stop at a bus stop & an old woman walked in and there was no seat, surprisingly the white colleague of mine (59 yrs) stood up for the lady to sit and me that was suppose to know better was sitting down. I was so ashamed of myself that day.

1 Like

Re: Do You Stand Up For The Elderly In Public Transports? by gahyip(m): 8:27am On Jul 23, 2013
Yes i did stand for old people when i was in Nigeria and also got the chance to do the same in China in 2011 an old woman entered the bus mean while many Chinese were just watching me as naijanow then i stood for the mama she was happy and was saying something in China she prepared to seat on my seat despite others offering to seat on theirs that event changed the mood in my favour in the bus

1 Like

Re: Do You Stand Up For The Elderly In Public Transports? by BB013(m): 8:49am On Jul 23, 2013
Did that once and regretted ever doing so..I vowed never to again even if he/she is dying I would ignore
Re: Do You Stand Up For The Elderly In Public Transports? by Wendyslim(f): 8:54am On Jul 23, 2013
. Don't u have parents or elderly people in ur family? Attention seeker mtchewwwwww

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

2016: Top 21 Most Used Memes On Nairaland (pictures) / 11 World's Most Corrupt Police Forces / Is Your Nairaland Character A True Reflection Of Your Real-life Character?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.