Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,253 members, 7,953,942 topics. Date: Friday, 20 September 2024 at 09:31 AM

Abuja Under Lockdown Over Security Threats - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Abuja Under Lockdown Over Security Threats (14568 Views)

Police To Take Over Security In North-east From Military:ig / Owerri Under Lockdown By Biafra Seccessionists!!! / CNN Claims Abuja Under The Control Of Boko Haram (Video) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Abuja Under Lockdown Over Security Threats by Handsomeemmy(m): 8:01am On Jul 22, 2013
The Federal Capital Territory (FCT), at the weekend, witnessed unusually tight security surveillance and lockdown with red beret anti-terrorism policemen manning major districts of the city.
This was the case on Friday night with stern looking security officials engaged in stop and search around Maitama, Asokoro,Wuse and Garki areas of the city.A similar exercise was repeated on Saturday night with the stop and search operations now complemented with series of mobile patrols around the city.
Unlike in previous exercises, the operation was conducted with such seriousness that an officer even refused a tip from a jeep driving lady at Gana street in Maitama district. This reporter was stopped more than 10 times while driving from Maitama to Asokoro on Friday night.
Nigerian Tribune gathered that the surveillance was due to a security report that hinted of security threats from unidentifiable sources. The report was said to have pointed at alleged smuggling of arms with the goal still unclear to security agencies.
Already, security agents have increased their presence on Adetokunbo Ademola Crescent since the arrest of the Lebanese owners of Amigo Plaza. A similar enhanced security presence is observablearound national stadium where the wonderland park operated by the Lebanese was located.
It was, however, not clear if the operation has anything to do with threatfrom Boko Haram.
Reacting to the development, the FCT commissioner of police, Mr Femi Ogunbayode, however, said there was no imminent threat of attack, adding that the FCT is safe and secure.
He explained that the operation was partof an elaborate measures to enhance safety of lives and property in the city, adding that the police command is not waiting for conflict before action.
Ogunbayode explained further that during daytime, the command deployed water cannons and armoured vehicles in strategic points within the city as a precautionary measure, adding that ‘’policing under the command of the current Inspector General of Police is becoming more strategic, proactive and tactical rather than reactive to attacks and conflicts.’’

source : Nigerian Tribune

http://www.tribune.com.ng/news2013/index.php/en/news/item/17284-abuja-under-lockdown-over-security-threats
Re: Abuja Under Lockdown Over Security Threats by donem: 8:38am On Jul 22, 2013
Good development.
Re: Abuja Under Lockdown Over Security Threats by Handsomeemmy(m): 9:33am On Jul 22, 2013
As long as it will safegaurd the lives of the populace.

1 Like

Re: Abuja Under Lockdown Over Security Threats by momodub: 9:48am On Jul 22, 2013
Re: Abuja Under Lockdown Over Security Threats by 1bunne4lif(m): 9:48am On Jul 22, 2013
Ok
Re: Abuja Under Lockdown Over Security Threats by hunkydory(m): 9:51am On Jul 22, 2013
Good move by the security agencies.
Re: Abuja Under Lockdown Over Security Threats by Nobody: 9:52am On Jul 22, 2013
which Abuja, unless there are 2 Abujas in nigeria.....

4 Likes

Re: Abuja Under Lockdown Over Security Threats by iamswizz(m): 9:53am On Jul 22, 2013
Those 'in virgins we believe' predators are at it again.. Nice job awon olopa.
Re: Abuja Under Lockdown Over Security Threats by akereconfi: 9:53am On Jul 22, 2013
Re: Abuja Under Lockdown Over Security Threats by papil: 9:54am On Jul 22, 2013
Good work
Re: Abuja Under Lockdown Over Security Threats by metro10: 9:54am On Jul 22, 2013
For this same asokoro, abuja we i dey so? I only saw the police around aso rock. Drove around adetokunbo, asokoro, maitama and area 11 freely all weekend and saw nothing....

1 Like

Re: Abuja Under Lockdown Over Security Threats by bio12: 9:54am On Jul 22, 2013
So no where s safe in nija anymore,oya na kenya nw again oo
Re: Abuja Under Lockdown Over Security Threats by datChelseaBoy: 9:54am On Jul 22, 2013
Nice one, but I think calling it a "lockdown" is misleading
Re: Abuja Under Lockdown Over Security Threats by Lilimax(f): 9:55am On Jul 22, 2013
They wouldn't want to be caught unaware like in time pastshocked
All the same good.
Re: Abuja Under Lockdown Over Security Threats by Austyn44(m): 9:55am On Jul 22, 2013
I have been wondering why all of a sudden check points come dey plenty pass street lights.its good to know we are safe. Policemen @ d checkpoints ll b like: "Oga, anything for weekend?" grin

1 Like

Re: Abuja Under Lockdown Over Security Threats by infobiz9ja(m): 9:57am On Jul 22, 2013
Re: Abuja Under Lockdown Over Security Threats by Nobody: 9:57am On Jul 22, 2013
The report clearly says "over the weekend", particularly Friday night.

Apparently whatever intelligence reports required the "lockdown" may no longer be the case.
Re: Abuja Under Lockdown Over Security Threats by evvyking(m): 9:57am On Jul 22, 2013
[color=#990000][/color] cheesy Tor...
Re: Abuja Under Lockdown Over Security Threats by GentleNaaz(m): 10:04am On Jul 22, 2013
ARES: which Abuja, unless there are 2 Abujas in nigeria.....
d plural should b Abuji, nt Abujas; or better stil, Abuja.
Re: Abuja Under Lockdown Over Security Threats by unite4real: 10:05am On Jul 22, 2013
metro10: For this same asokoro, abuja we i dey so? I only saw the police around aso rock. Drove around adetokunbo, asokoro, maitama and area 11 freely all weekend and saw nothing....

i equally didnt see anything. i was at the millineum pack on Saturday. drive all through Wuse 2 and Maitama. Saw nothing
Re: Abuja Under Lockdown Over Security Threats by remecy(f): 10:07am On Jul 22, 2013
Asokoro, wuse, garki,maitima are those the only areas in abuja. Abi those staying in other areas are nt part of the security threat cos i did not see any police or mobile or even security in our area and we are under fct map.
Re: Abuja Under Lockdown Over Security Threats by Fadelex(m): 10:07am On Jul 22, 2013
nothing like security lockdown...it's just normal snap roadblock by security agencies
Re: Abuja Under Lockdown Over Security Threats by intercom: 10:12am On Jul 22, 2013
Honestly this caption is misleading, i drove round the town during the weekend and saw notthing like that, i wonder where this reported got her/her experience from

1 Like

Re: Abuja Under Lockdown Over Security Threats by rill: 10:13am On Jul 22, 2013
Seriously i no understand dis post
Re: Abuja Under Lockdown Over Security Threats by Dagoma: 10:16am On Jul 22, 2013
Abuja should be the safest city in this country due to the high concentration of corrupt leaders and high profile thieves... just guessing.
Re: Abuja Under Lockdown Over Security Threats by Nobody: 10:20am On Jul 22, 2013
see lie abeg. am presently in lake chad, maitama and aside traffic warden and d regular anti-crime squad me no see any police checkpoint on my way from wuse2
Re: Abuja Under Lockdown Over Security Threats by blackbeau1(f): 10:26am On Jul 22, 2013
Abeg,I use God name beg them oh. Make I just finish my service year oh
Re: Abuja Under Lockdown Over Security Threats by costan306(m): 10:31am On Jul 22, 2013
proactive dnt involve refusing bribe
Re: Abuja Under Lockdown Over Security Threats by Dagoma: 10:35am On Jul 22, 2013
remecy: Asokoro, wuse, garki,maitima are those the only areas in abuja. Abi those staying in other areas are nt part of the security threat cos i did not see any police or mobile or even security in our area and we are under fct map.
Which part of Abuja are you? Remember, FCT is different from Abuja. While the former is the territory, the later is the capital city.
Re: Abuja Under Lockdown Over Security Threats by Fazhy: 10:35am On Jul 22, 2013
Okay.

Re: Abuja Under Lockdown Over Security Threats by diarra94(m): 10:41am On Jul 22, 2013
remecy: Asokoro, wuse, garki,maitima are those the only areas in abuja. Abi those staying in other areas are nt part of the security threat cos i did not see any police or mobile or even security in our area and we are under fct map.
not the slums, the main abuja cos honestly nobody cares about u.

1 Like

Re: Abuja Under Lockdown Over Security Threats by sexyglow(f): 10:47am On Jul 22, 2013
ARES: which Abuja, unless there are 2 Abujas in nigeria.....
obviously you don't live in Abuja city then! mind you nyanya mararaba isn't Abj!the Op is very much correct just drive pass Chicken house juction by ascon filling station off Aminu kano Cre,or Ecobank zone4 towards NNPC towers,mabuci gwarimpa roundabout you go know how far,,the guys at Diamond bank road wuse 2 yesteday evening were not smilling at all

(1) (2) (Reply)

Buratai, Abba Kyari, Lai Mohammed Visit Shettima Over IDPs Bombing / Osinbajo Presides Over FEC Meeting / Why Tinubu Appointed New Management Team For CBN – Aide

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 21
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.