Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,037 members, 7,818,060 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 06:26 AM

Prof. Soyinka Blast First Lady, Called Her "Shepopotamus" - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Prof. Soyinka Blast First Lady, Called Her "Shepopotamus" (1963 Views)

Amaechi And Prof Soyinka At The N82Million Dinner Party - Photos / Amaechi Spent N82million To Host Prof Soyinka To A Dinner - Rivers State / Teju Cole To Prof. Soyinka - " How Does It Feel To Be An Embarrassment? " (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Prof. Soyinka Blast First Lady, Called Her "Shepopotamus" by legendsilver(m): 6:05pm On Jul 22, 2013
AT 79, Africa’s first Nobel Laureate in Literature, Prof. Wole Soyinka, seems not to have lost his zeal for standing up against those he perceives to use their public office tooppress others in Nigeria.
And though the afternoon open-door lecture series was supposed to be a commemoration of his birthday, he quickly swapped the garment of a celebrant with that of a political activist as it became necessary. Referring to the First Lady, Dame Patience Jonathan’s alleged meddling in the affairs of Rivers State and abuse of power, Soyinka asked, “What’s the problem with Madam Shepopotamus?”
Fielding questions from a member of the audience at the African Centre in Covent Garden, venue of Saturday’s “WS79 – Memoirsof Our Future: An Audience with Prof. Wole Soyinka,” he said he was not afraid to stand up and call the First Lady to order and also educate her if she cannot take a cue from howother first ladies behave.
“People said I call her a domestic appendage,what’s the problem with that? What’s the problem with Madam Shepopotamus?”
Pressed to comment on the lingering politicalcrisis in Rivers State, Soyinka revealed: “Whathappened in Rivers began long ago, before five decided that five was greater than 27. If we don’t move in support of the truth at certain mathematics, we shouldn’t be surprised if the next mathematics anomaly takes place at our doorstep.”
He added: “We move when there’s interference, when all roads are closed – for hours - because she’s going to her hairdresser.”
He argued that if members of the civil society do nothing when such abuse is taking place in Rivers, Ibadan and Lagos, then Nigerians should not be surprised when a curfew is imposed the next time she is visitingtheir state.
He called on Dame Jonathan to take a cue from President Barack Obama’s wife, stating: “We ask unelected people to look around and see how the Mrs. Michelle Obamas of the world are conducting themselves,” adding, however, that if the Dames of this world do not learn, “we must educate them.”
Asked if he was a friend of the embattled Rivers State Governor Rotimi Amaechi, Soyinka replied: “That Amaechi is my friend isnot an allegation,” because he would be friends with anyone who has been given the mandate of the people through the electoral process.
According to him, he is not afraid to be associated with such if they are fulfilling their obligations and responsibilities of governance.He added: “To say the Governor of Rivers is my close friend is like saying Kayode Fayemi or Dr. Babangida Aliyu or Governor Ibikunle Amosun or even the Second Republic Governor, Mohammed Shugaba, in Shagari’s administration, is my friend.”
However, Soyinka said ‘it’s not a matter of friendship,” but defence of democracy and truth, stressing that he would not be afraid to switch loyalty if the people he once praised change and start oppressing the very people who elected them.
Meanwhile, he commended Governor Godswill Akpabio of Akwa Ibom State who he said has provided educational opportunities for all in the state.

2 Likes

Re: Prof. Soyinka Blast First Lady, Called Her "Shepopotamus" by Nomski0(f): 6:12pm On Jul 22, 2013
legendsilver: AT 79, Africa’s first Nobel Laureate in Literature, Prof. Wole Soyinka, seems not to have lost his zeal for standing up against those he perceives to use their public office tooppress others in Nigeria.
And though the afternoon open-door lecture series was supposed to be a commemoration of his birthday, he quickly swapped the garment of a celebrant with that of a political activist as it became necessary. Referring to the First Lady, Dame Patience Jonathan’s alleged meddling in the affairs of Rivers State and abuse of power, Soyinka asked, “What’s the problem with Madam Shepopotamus?”
Fielding questions from a member of the audience at the African Centre in Covent Garden, venue of Saturday’s “WS79 – Memoirsof Our Future: An Audience with Prof. Wole Soyinka,” he said he was not afraid to stand up and call the First Lady to order and also educate her if she cannot take a cue from howother first ladies behave.
“People said I call her a domestic appendage,what’s the problem with that? What’s the problem with Madam Shepopotamus?
Pressed to comment on the lingering politicalcrisis in Rivers State, Soyinka revealed: “Whathappened in Rivers began long ago, before five decided that five was greater than 27. If we don’t move in support of the truth at certain mathematics, we shouldn’t be surprised if the next mathematics anomaly takes place at our doorstep.”
He added: “We move when there’s interference, when all roads are closed – for hours - because she’s going to her hairdresser.”
He argued that if members of the civil society do nothing when such abuse is taking place in Rivers, Ibadan and Lagos, then Nigerians should not be surprised when a curfew is imposed the next time she is visitingtheir state.
He called on Dame Jonathan to take a cue from President Barack Obama’s wife, stating: “We ask unelected people to look around and see how the Mrs. Michelle Obamas of the world are conducting themselves,” adding, however, that if the Dames of this world do not learn, “we must educate them.”
Asked if he was a friend of the embattled Rivers State Governor Rotimi Amaechi, Soyinka replied: “That Amaechi is my friend isnot an allegation,” because he would be friends with anyone who has been given the mandate of the people through the electoral process.
According to him, he is not afraid to be associated with such if they are fulfilling their obligations and responsibilities of governance.He added: “To say the Governor of Rivers is my close friend is like saying Kayode Fayemi or Dr. Babangida Aliyu or Governor Ibikunle Amosun or even the Second Republic Governor, Mohammed Shugaba, in Shagari’s administration, is my friend.”
However, Soyinka said ‘it’s not a matter of friendship,” but defence of democracy and truth, stressing that he would not be afraid to switch loyalty if the people he once praised change and start oppressing the very people who elected them.
Meanwhile, he commended Governor Godswill Akpabio of Akwa Ibom State who he said has provided educational opportunities for all in the state.

Lmao

I just want to hear PEJ pronounce this word or better still conjure up her own insult animal-name for the professor
Re: Prof. Soyinka Blast First Lady, Called Her "Shepopotamus" by legendsilver(m): 6:23pm On Jul 22, 2013
Waiting for madam Dame Jonathan's reply. undecided
Re: Prof. Soyinka Blast First Lady, Called Her "Shepopotamus" by Nwaoguta(m): 6:26pm On Jul 22, 2013
this old man no wan respect his old age, he just dey talk like a woman i wonder how ur wife use d cope with u at home, what a nagging man!
Re: Prof. Soyinka Blast First Lady, Called Her "Shepopotamus" by whisper88(m): 6:30pm On Jul 22, 2013
grin grin grin grin
Re: Prof. Soyinka Blast First Lady, Called Her "Shepopotamus" by olabukola: 6:37pm On Jul 22, 2013
Nwa oguta: this old man no wan respect his old age, he just dey talk like a woman i wonder how ur wife use d cope with u at home, what a nagging man!
Him get wife? Very soon he will support those cradle robbers.
Re: Prof. Soyinka Blast First Lady, Called Her "Shepopotamus" by PointB: 6:59pm On Jul 22, 2013
legendsilver: Waiting for madam Dame Jonathan's reply. undecided

Ironically, PEJ has shown more class than ISoyinka since this saga begun.

1 Like

Re: Prof. Soyinka Blast First Lady, Called Her "Shepopotamus" by legendsilver(m): 10:46pm On Jul 22, 2013
olabukola: Him get wife? Very soon he will support those cradle robbers.
he may have reasons beyond our knowledge o!!!
Re: Prof. Soyinka Blast First Lady, Called Her "Shepopotamus" by Nobody: 11:52pm On Jul 22, 2013
Nomski0:

Lmao

I just want to hear PEJ pronounce this word or better still conjure up her own insult animal-name for the professor

"Why the mad man Pronephesor dey callu me Shinpponpontanemust? Who he think he is when even my hubby is in Pee-esh-dee!"
Re: Prof. Soyinka Blast First Lady, Called Her "Shepopotamus" by redsun(m): 12:08am On Jul 23, 2013
PointB:

Ironically, PEJ has shown more class than ISoyinka since this saga begun.

She is got nothing to say,if actually she had to ground the traffic of a commercial city for 4 hours just to service her brazillian borrowed hair.It is the height of moral decadence in nigerian leadership.The height of power abuse in a suppose demorcatic society.

Democracy allows a truck pusher to have the same legal rights as gej himself.That is what democracy does,it levels the people up.
Re: Prof. Soyinka Blast First Lady, Called Her "Shepopotamus" by Nobody: 2:56pm On Jul 23, 2013
whisper88: grin grin grin grin
Dis one way u with ur family open una teeth dey laugh dis, na so d tin funny reach?
Re: Prof. Soyinka Blast First Lady, Called Her "Shepopotamus" by legendsilver(m): 3:02pm On Jul 23, 2013
onyejiokem: Dis one way u with ur family open una teeth dey laugh dis, na so d tin funny reach?
I tire o!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Prof. Soyinka Blast First Lady, Called Her "Shepopotamus" by Ikengawo: 3:33pm On Jul 23, 2013
and this man is called the 'sage' of the nation. smh. Dislike and oppose her all you want but this type of childish low IQ insulting only makes me wonder why the man has a NOBEL PEACE PRIZE.

Imagine Martin Luther King, or Barack Obama, his fellow recipients, saying something like this, about anyone.

1 Like

Re: Prof. Soyinka Blast First Lady, Called Her "Shepopotamus" by Rhino5dm: 3:40pm On Jul 23, 2013
Ikengawo: and this man is called the 'sage' of the nation. smh. Dislike and oppose her all you want but this type of childish low IQ insulting only makes me wonder why the man has a NOBEL PEACE PRIZE.

Imagine Martin Luther King, or Barack Obama, his fellow recipients, saying something like this, about anyone.

NOBEL PEACE PRIZE . And this shepopotamus is insulting WS.
Re: Prof. Soyinka Blast First Lady, Called Her "Shepopotamus" by ProfessorPeter(m): 3:45pm On Jul 23, 2013
Cultist
Re: Prof. Soyinka Blast First Lady, Called Her "Shepopotamus" by legendsilver(m): 7:14pm On Jul 23, 2013
Professor Peter: Cultist
abeg o!!! Wetin b cultist inside dis matter na?
Re: Prof. Soyinka Blast First Lady, Called Her "Shepopotamus" by Druhill(m): 8:06pm On Jul 23, 2013
Its really bad practice for a public servant to oppressed de public in such manners. if they are going to the toilet,kitchen,sitting room nd even their bed room they will ask the force to block the road nd curse heavy traffic nd putting the citizens to a stand still.Nah God go help them.

(1) (Reply)

Accept Yoruba Leader Or Leave Lagos-Igbo Traders Warned / Dr Ngige, Has Presented A12-point Agenda. / 10 Governor Plan To Leave APC and PDP To Labour Party to save their jobs

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.