Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,484 members, 7,830,438 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 10:16 PM

Nigerian Players Banned For Life For Match-fixing Scandal - Sports (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Nigerian Players Banned For Life For Match-fixing Scandal (20918 Views)

Alex Song And Cameroon Under Investigation For Match Fixing In Brazil / Nigerian Players That Deserve Super Eagles Call-up / Emmanuel Emenike Arrested For Match Fixing; Released Now (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerian Players Banned For Life For Match-fixing Scandal by Damsman10(m): 4:17pm On Jul 23, 2013
Okija_juju: Why ban the players for life and give the club 10years?! Dont they realize that the players only executed the crime, but the real culprit are those behind the fraud (e.g Referee, club managers, coaches and co.)
10yrs or 100yrs...its still d end of deir career
Re: Nigerian Players Banned For Life For Match-fixing Scandal by nijanigga: 4:18pm On Jul 23, 2013
Time wasting,Jonathan will pardon them,like he pardoned DSP.
Re: Nigerian Players Banned For Life For Match-fixing Scandal by Dee60: 4:26pm On Jul 23, 2013
Nigerian legislators earn the highest in the world according to a new report by The Economist. Also, Nigerian footballers are now scoring the highest in the world, 79 goals in one match!

So, why ban the footballers and leave the legislators to continue their 'scoring'?

1 Like

Re: Nigerian Players Banned For Life For Match-fixing Scandal by sayitout1: 4:38pm On Jul 23, 2013
Okija_juju: Why ban the players for life and give the club 10years?! Dont they realize that the players only executed the crime, but the real culprit are those behind the fraud (e.g Referee, club managers, coaches and co.)

its suppose to be the other way round. Ban the club for life and the player 10year.

Police don bring their attitude come inside football.

NPF we hail una
Re: Nigerian Players Banned For Life For Match-fixing Scandal by JaaizTech: 4:38pm On Jul 23, 2013
Okija_juju:

MAYOWAAK:
The intention is most welcome development and applauded. But let me say this, frankly specially i see no sense whatsoever to ban for life these footballers. This is no justice at all. It's unthinkable to do this to innocent soccer players who are owned and dictated to by the club managements. Yet you ban them for life and punish these clubs and their officials in what i will call peanut justice. This is totally a miscarriage of justice, and it ends up to be even more damaging and disappointing than the criminal act itself, if you really consider the defense i am making for this poor players. This is similar to what happens in the Armed Forces where officers are given less penalty because they were simply obeying orders from the above. I think the President of NFF Alhaji Maigari should try as much as possible and ask these people to have a rethink. Else this is an embarrassing discharge of justice.

[b]So let me explain my stand...

The players deserve to be punished.. Banned for like 5 years. lets all remember that these are atheletes and 5 years is a very long time in a footballers life. The players definitely had a part in this fiasco. They cant feign not being aware of the fraud. Reports had it that they were at some point scoring so many own goals. I even learnt that when a goal was scored, the ball boys just threw in another ball and left the other in the post. So the players definitely deserve to be punished..

The clubs on the other hand should get the 10year to life ban. They can be barred from ever contesting for qualification for the next 50yrs. That is a well deserved punishment.

The management of the clubs, coaches and also the officiating referees are the real culprits here and should be totally banned from football for life..

I really think its silly to throw the blame squarely on the players... This is like taking away their only source of livelihood. Without football, some of these players have nothing else to fall back on. Im not in support of this ruling.. [/b]

This is exactly my point, I am so disappointed to see sports Journalist celebrating this ruling. I see no reason why the players of the team that was doing the scoring should be so severely punished. Was it their fault that the opposing team was willing to let them score so many goals.
This thing was obviously arranged at the management level, the players were simply instructed to allow in as many goals, how and why should the opposing team that was scoring the goals be held accountable for that. This is not justice by any yardstick.
I didn't hear any mention of the coaches nor the top officials of the club being banned, they deserve it more and far more than the players. this is definitely not justice.
Re: Nigerian Players Banned For Life For Match-fixing Scandal by horlabiyi(m): 4:45pm On Jul 23, 2013
Re: Nigerian Players Banned For Life For Match-fixing Scandal by pekelepekele(m): 5:02pm On Jul 23, 2013
They are too dumb!!!!! when its not a basketball . A match was also fixed today Yokohama vs Man utd but they did it wisely
Re: Nigerian Players Banned For Life For Match-fixing Scandal by Dee60: 5:06pm On Jul 23, 2013
Bgino: same punishment should be given to those that declared 16 votes winner over 19 votes..else they players and club officials should appeal the judgement in the FIFA court of arbitration

Exactly. And the 5 votes that was greater than 27 according to beepee!
Re: Nigerian Players Banned For Life For Match-fixing Scandal by zanga420: 5:06pm On Jul 23, 2013
u jst said my mind bro. The architects of this crime are the club owners, managers, the refs etc, they should get bigger punishment b4 the players. This nation's so unfair to the youths(the players). Thank God their's punishment atleast
Re: Nigerian Players Banned For Life For Match-fixing Scandal by tonanza(m): 6:11pm On Jul 23, 2013
79- 0 What a SWEETEST TABOO!!
Re: Nigerian Players Banned For Life For Match-fixing Scandal by trappatoni(m): 7:41pm On Jul 23, 2013
i love that,banned for life,now their greediness has brought their careers to an end
Re: Nigerian Players Banned For Life For Match-fixing Scandal by CHIDONE: 7:55pm On Jul 23, 2013
Even brazil will not win tahiti with that margin
Re: Nigerian Players Banned For Life For Match-fixing Scandal by armadeo(m): 7:57pm On Jul 23, 2013
Is there no video of this match. Need to watch it. Shaolin soccer tinz.
Re: Nigerian Players Banned For Life For Match-fixing Scandal by Nobody: 9:00pm On Jul 23, 2013
Wahala dey for naija,shey d goalkeeper dey close one eye as d goals dey enter? hahaha aragbam wa unu isi.
Re: Nigerian Players Banned For Life For Match-fixing Scandal by Olisaht19(m): 9:22pm On Jul 23, 2013
nawaa oo
Re: Nigerian Players Banned For Life For Match-fixing Scandal by Sike(m): 9:38pm On Jul 23, 2013
Them suppose amputate them join. :-|
Re: Nigerian Players Banned For Life For Match-fixing Scandal by jajad: 9:46pm On Jul 23, 2013
Okiki_Oluwa: Fellow Nigerians, I Chief Dr Okiki_Oluwa is here today to erase the fallacious story that India defeated Nigeria 100-1 in a football match in 1976, 1886 or whatever year. It's an ugly lie.

Chief, you are the one that is lying. My grandfather said his friend told him all about it. His (my grandfather's friend) friend knew an Indian woman from Bangalore whose uncle's in-law played in that very match. It actually happened. Most of our players that took part in the match refused to come back home because of the shame. Their families disowned them in shame. Yes, we must be proud of our country but there is no need to shamelessly rewrite history. We must learn from our previous mistakes and this case is one where we seem to have done so. We are champions of Africa and should FIFA ever make the mistake of unbanning India I am sure that the new and improved Eagles will teach them a lesson they will never forget. Of course the NFF will need to unban the players involved in these matches. The 14-goal-a-game striker will come in handy in such a match.
Re: Nigerian Players Banned For Life For Match-fixing Scandal by Nobody: 5:33am On Jul 24, 2013
Re: Nigerian Players Banned For Life For Match-fixing Scandal by tijan201(m): 7:29am On Jul 24, 2013
Sky-walker:
haha 79-0 and 67-0 wtf
NO KEEPER 4POST ABI NA 200MIN ?
Re: Nigerian Players Banned For Life For Match-fixing Scandal by freakyhat: 11:13am On Jul 24, 2013
shame on them, yeye fowl
Re: Nigerian Players Banned For Life For Match-fixing Scandal by viwesan(m): 2:47pm On Jul 24, 2013
Big shame on them... Come to think of it, was the goals scored every minutes of the game?
Re: Nigerian Players Banned For Life For Match-fixing Scandal by Z8(m): 3:17pm On Jul 24, 2013
Sky-walker:
haha 79-0 and 67-0 wtf

Seriously how did it happen?
Re: Nigerian Players Banned For Life For Match-fixing Scandal by EmmyDe25(m): 3:46pm On Jul 24, 2013
The fans that saw that match deserve to be ban as well, not leaving out the stadium.
Re: Nigerian Players Banned For Life For Match-fixing Scandal by Nmeri17: 8:10am On Jul 25, 2013
;Dthe kind gbagaun wey dey this thread 1st page ehn
Re: Nigerian Players Banned For Life For Match-fixing Scandal by Charlzino(m): 11:17am On Jul 25, 2013
[color=#990000][/color][i][/i] i believe dem no wnt play futbal. Ppl wer wnt play futbal dey waist 4 street. Abasi ubok fo o o

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Mason Greenwood Suspended By England Team Amid Rape Probe / Tokyo 2020 Olympics: D’Tigers Ranked 4th In Latest FIBA Power Rankings / Why Sports Stars Go Broke- Sunday Oliseh

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.