Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,096 members, 7,811,074 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 10:42 PM

Ondo Senator Weeps For Endorsing Under Age Girl Marriage - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ondo Senator Weeps For Endorsing Under Age Girl Marriage (414 Views)

Governor Ugwuanyi Weeps As Fulani Herdsmen Ravage Community / We’re Under Threat For Endorsing Buhari – Christian Group / No Apologies For Endorsing Fayemi - Tinubu (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Ondo Senator Weeps For Endorsing Under Age Girl Marriage by awesomep(m): 11:17am On Jul 23, 2013
[img]http://3.bp..com/-3eaom_VhqrI/Ue4XRSfXSSI/AAAAAAAB3pM/2HZvwk7DjGQ/s1600/Senator-Ayo-Akinyelure-480x300.jpg[/img]
The member representing Ondo Central Senatorial District at the National Assembly, Senator Ayo Akinyelure, wept before members of his constituency in Akure on Monday as he apologised to them that he voted in error to support the senate resolution backing marriage of underage girls.

Akinyelure was summoned by his constituents to explain his role in the controversial passage of a resolution to retain the provision of Section 29 (4) (b) of the 1999 Constitution, which states that a married underage girl is deemed to be an adult.

Politicians, women groups and students had besieged the Adegbemile Hall, venue of the meeting, with placards to protest against what they described as the legalisation of sexual abuse of young girls, which their representative had supported.

But Akinyelure burst into tears as he laboured to convince the obviously enraged crowd at the tension-soaked session that he mistakenly pressed the wrong button during the electronic voting exercise thinking that he was voting against child marriage.

The Senator said he had aligned his thought with that of other senators, who supported the resolution that the provision should be expunged from the constitution.
He added that the resolution was paraphrased again in a way that confused him to mean that pressing the ‘No’ button would mean voting against the resolution that the resolution should be retained in the constitution.

He said, “I am very sorry for this costly mistake. I actually voted in error. I pressed the ‘No’ button during the electronic voting session, thinking that I was kicking against the early marriage. I can never support such barbaric and wicked bill.”
Source: Punch
FB: www.facebook.com/naijacrib
Re: Ondo Senator Weeps For Endorsing Under Age Girl Marriage by bobo09: 5:45pm On Jul 23, 2013
Thank you sir for your apology but mind you, this is your last chance in the senate, dont ever think of going back again oh.
WE WILL FINISH YOU
Re: Ondo Senator Weeps For Endorsing Under Age Girl Marriage by redsun(m): 5:50pm On Jul 23, 2013
Nigerian politicians still think they are in the old age of media secrecy,forgetting they are more like gold that can not hide.All their actions and evil deeds are in the view of the people in just matter of minutes.

This is time people.The time to topple the wicked and the inefficient.
Re: Ondo Senator Weeps For Endorsing Under Age Girl Marriage by sexkilzaphull: 5:54pm On Jul 23, 2013
Hmmn...at least he seems to be able to acknowledge an error! Very good and I hope he can now work in concert with other like minded people to completely reject such useless, evil, exploitative bill of our women and daughters!
Re: Ondo Senator Weeps For Endorsing Under Age Girl Marriage by kokoA(m): 6:36pm On Jul 23, 2013
That means he doesn't listen to proceedings at all. Him own na just to press "yes" or "no", say "iii" or "nay".. Ode! They better recall him back to the village.

(1) (Reply)

Soldiers Of Fortune: "Wetin Concern Abiola With Soldiers?" / Outrage Greets Lawmakers’ Jumbopay / Agreement With ASUU Impossible To Implement —fg

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.