Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,755 members, 7,824,167 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 02:02 AM

FRSC Arrests 11,951 Traffic Offenders In Seven Days – Chidoka - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / FRSC Arrests 11,951 Traffic Offenders In Seven Days – Chidoka (5310 Views)

Military Arrests 11-Year-Old Potential Suicide Bomber (Photo) / FRSC Arrests Driver Carrying Container In Eket, Akwa Ibom - Photos / Bicycle Ride By Osita Chidoka To Last Federal Executive Meeting (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

FRSC Arrests 11,951 Traffic Offenders In Seven Days – Chidoka by Ptimes: 7:19am On Jul 24, 2013
The Federal Road Safety Commission, FRSC, on Tuesday said it arrested 11,951 traffic offenders between July 15 and July 21 across the country.

The FRSC Corp Marshal, Osita Chidoka, made the figure known at the Pan-Nigeria Road Safety Awareness workshop in Eket, Akwa Ibom.

The workshop was organised for ExxonMobil Drivers, Quo-Iboe Terminal, Eket, in collaboration with the commission.

He said the offences, included seat belt violation, over speeding, use of phone while driving, lack of fire extinguishers, sign violation, road obstruction and excessive smoke emission.

Represented by Abayomi Olukoju, the Deputy Corp Marshal, Mr. Chidoka said the workshop was organised to check violation of road traffic rules and regulation in the country.

Mr. Chidoka said the commission was committed to zero tolerance to road traffic crashes, adding that during the period, 134 road crashes were recorded, while 59 people were killed. He also said that 756 people were rescued during the incidences.

The corps marshal appealed to the drivers and other road users to ensure the safety of lives on the road, adding that 85 per cent of the crashes were caused by human error. He urged ExxonMobil drivers and other road users to be conversant with Highway Code to reduce road accidents in the state.

“It is the responsibility of the road users to obey traffic rules and regulations,’’ he said.

In his remarks, Effiok Udouwem, the Unit Coordinator, ExxonMobil, Quo-Iboe Terminal, said that Nigeria was one of the countries with highest rate of road accidents.

Mr. Udouwem said the objective of the campaign was to sensitise road users on safety and driving advocacy for attitudinal change on road use.

“This is the target of the campaign, we want to change attitude of drivers on the road,” he said.

He said that the attitude of drivers on highway was responsible for the road accidents, saying that drivers should not exceed the speed limit of 80 kilometres per hour.

He warned drivers and other road users against wrong over taking, saying that many people lost their lives because of reckless over taking.

“If we are careful and obey all traffic rules and regulations, road carnage in the country will reduce by 50 per cent,’’ he said.

http://premiumtimesng.com/news/141520-frsc-arrests-11951-traffic-offenders-in-seven-days-chidoka.html
Re: FRSC Arrests 11,951 Traffic Offenders In Seven Days – Chidoka by DICKtator: 1:40pm On Jul 24, 2013
FRSC has a lot of work to do.
Still not good a enough!!!!

grin grin grin grin
Re: FRSC Arrests 11,951 Traffic Offenders In Seven Days – Chidoka by fyneconcepts: 1:41pm On Jul 24, 2013
Over 50% must be drivers license related

2 Likes

Re: FRSC Arrests 11,951 Traffic Offenders In Seven Days – Chidoka by Eneze1(f): 1:41pm On Jul 24, 2013
thumps up to them
Re: FRSC Arrests 11,951 Traffic Offenders In Seven Days – Chidoka by Lordave: 1:42pm On Jul 24, 2013
People are damn stubborn!
Re: FRSC Arrests 11,951 Traffic Offenders In Seven Days – Chidoka by Nobody: 1:43pm On Jul 24, 2013
How many greased ur palms?

2 Likes

Re: FRSC Arrests 11,951 Traffic Offenders In Seven Days – Chidoka by symbianDON(m): 1:43pm On Jul 24, 2013
hmmmm......this is serious!!!
Re: FRSC Arrests 11,951 Traffic Offenders In Seven Days – Chidoka by Nobody: 1:43pm On Jul 24, 2013
Lordave: People are damn stubborn!
I beg to differ. Not
Re: FRSC Arrests 11,951 Traffic Offenders In Seven Days – Chidoka by kwaraguy(m): 1:44pm On Jul 24, 2013
Congrats
Re: FRSC Arrests 11,951 Traffic Offenders In Seven Days – Chidoka by zuzuonyi: 1:44pm On Jul 24, 2013
This one na small. I know say una dey wait for September this year when una go arrest vehicle owners unto say we never pay the 40K to change our license plates. angry angry angry
Re: FRSC Arrests 11,951 Traffic Offenders In Seven Days – Chidoka by Nobody: 1:45pm On Jul 24, 2013
I beg to differ. Not all of them were stubborn.
I'd like to criticise the govt for inadequate publicity of some of these laws
Re: FRSC Arrests 11,951 Traffic Offenders In Seven Days – Chidoka by docjuli(m): 1:46pm On Jul 24, 2013
... He said the offences, included seat belt violation, over speeding, use of phone while driving, lack of fire extinguishers, sign violation, road obstruction and excessive smoke emission.

Didn't know those trailers are sometimes arrested for that (excessive smoke emission). So, what happens thereafter. The goods offloaded or what?
Re: FRSC Arrests 11,951 Traffic Offenders In Seven Days – Chidoka by Lordave: 1:47pm On Jul 24, 2013
fyneconcepts: Over 50% must be drivers license related
I doubt that.
Go to semi rural areas and see what's happening there. Whenever I'm passing through some roads in Abuja suburb I use to see these guys battling with drivers because of overload, the last one I saw was a driver that got arrested for sharing his seat with two passengers.
Re: FRSC Arrests 11,951 Traffic Offenders In Seven Days – Chidoka by Burger01(m): 1:47pm On Jul 24, 2013
No wonder we have some agbero drivers on our roads. Damn! Some drivers drive like they're possessed by the devil himself sad
Re: FRSC Arrests 11,951 Traffic Offenders In Seven Days – Chidoka by Jaywilzee(m): 1:47pm On Jul 24, 2013
Wow....dt HUGE figure in just 7days... shocked
Re: FRSC Arrests 11,951 Traffic Offenders In Seven Days – Chidoka by Jodasy: 1:47pm On Jul 24, 2013
Good development
Re: FRSC Arrests 11,951 Traffic Offenders In Seven Days – Chidoka by Nobody: 1:48pm On Jul 24, 2013
I'd like to criticise the govt for inadequate publicity of some of these laws. For example,the lagos state traffic law dat was passed sumtym ago,since we have a lot of illiterate pple in Lagos,why did the govt not take its time to demystify this law to the masses. How many of the commercial motocyclists knw what this law is talking abt?

1 Like

Re: FRSC Arrests 11,951 Traffic Offenders In Seven Days – Chidoka by Super1759: 1:51pm On Jul 24, 2013
Hahahahahahahha
And in some part of the country like aba,they don't even know what traffic is let alone the RULES.
Put head where you see space.
FRSC should go there and bundle the whole city
Re: FRSC Arrests 11,951 Traffic Offenders In Seven Days – Chidoka by Lordave: 1:52pm On Jul 24, 2013
OKeokpa:
I'd like to criticise the govt for inadequate publicity of some of these laws
I'll not argue you. These laws were made to ensure safety, I don't think someone on his/her right senses would wait for government to teach him/her how to secure his/her own life.
I'd say utter ignorance though.
Re: FRSC Arrests 11,951 Traffic Offenders In Seven Days – Chidoka by specialguest(f): 1:55pm On Jul 24, 2013
fyneconcepts: Over 50% must be drivers license related

you are right. when they decided to make the procedure for acquiring the new driver's license very tedious what do they expect? most people would continue to use their expired licenses till they get arrested.
as for talking on the phone while driving, i am guilty as hell but i hope to break that habit soon and become a law abiding citizen before i get arrested. i heard its a 6 months jail term for that offence shocked
Re: FRSC Arrests 11,951 Traffic Offenders In Seven Days – Chidoka by Maidoki14(m): 1:58pm On Jul 24, 2013
Perharps d 11,951 offenders did not pay bribe.
Re: FRSC Arrests 11,951 Traffic Offenders In Seven Days – Chidoka by Lordave: 2:01pm On Jul 24, 2013
OKeokpa:
I'd like to criticise the govt for inadequate publicity of some of these laws. For example,the lagos state traffic law dat was passed sumtym ago,since we have a lot of illiterate pple in Lagos,why did the govt not take its time to demystify this law to the masses. How many of the commercial motocyclists knw what this law is talking abt?
Most of them are illiterate yet they are been arrested for commiting the same offence they committed a day before.
I don't know wether to say they lack common sense or the are stark stubborn.
Re: FRSC Arrests 11,951 Traffic Offenders In Seven Days – Chidoka by Fazhy: 2:01pm On Jul 24, 2013
angry
Re: FRSC Arrests 11,951 Traffic Offenders In Seven Days – Chidoka by sarutobie(m): 2:08pm On Jul 24, 2013
Burger01: No wonder we have some agbero drivers on our roads. Damn! Some drivers drive like they're possessed by the devil himself sad
Many of them no smell driving school..driving like formula one racers,and when they cause an accident dem go blame bad road
Re: FRSC Arrests 11,951 Traffic Offenders In Seven Days – Chidoka by Capnd143(m): 2:11pm On Jul 24, 2013
Maidoki14: Perharps d 11,951 offenders did not pay bribe.
it is this type of mentality of urz that is killing our nation. After you will blame only the leaders
Re: FRSC Arrests 11,951 Traffic Offenders In Seven Days – Chidoka by javipee: 2:13pm On Jul 24, 2013

road obstruction and excessive smoke emission

THIS IS THE MAJOR PROBLEM THEY SHOULD TACKLE.

DANFO DRIVERS angry angry angry

1 Like

Re: FRSC Arrests 11,951 Traffic Offenders In Seven Days – Chidoka by Nobody: 2:18pm On Jul 24, 2013
I was arrested too o about 6 weeks ago because one of my brake lights wasn't working (I had absolutely no idea). They asked to see my drivers licence which i handed over to them thinking i had no reason to be afraid as i had all my docs, c caution etc. I pleaded with them, being a first offender to let me off with a warning but all pleas fell on deaf ears. They were wasting my time so I requested that they fine me if what I did warranted it. He gave me a ticket to pay N2000 and refused to return my drivers license which infuriated me. The check point was almost an hour from where I live. When I told him that I stay far from the check point, he said I shd av told him that earlier, that since he had issued d ticket, there was nothing he could do anymore. The most annoying part is if I had condescended and given him 500 or 1k, he would av lemme go. I was so pained enh and drove off in annoyance. I av dashed dem d license. Where in the whole world do you confiscate a first offender's license - his offence being a broken brake light. Yeye people.
Re: FRSC Arrests 11,951 Traffic Offenders In Seven Days – Chidoka by YoshiMaster: 2:29pm On Jul 24, 2013
Why are they still arresting drivers in this day and age?
Re: FRSC Arrests 11,951 Traffic Offenders In Seven Days – Chidoka by Tonylyte(m): 3:25pm On Jul 24, 2013
Dis figure show dat, nigerians are worlds most hectic pple to govern. Just under one week? Now u understand wat presido is passing tru. May God help naija.
Re: FRSC Arrests 11,951 Traffic Offenders In Seven Days – Chidoka by eightsin(m): 3:41pm On Jul 24, 2013
Is the old driver license no longer valid? Mine would expire next year. Do they arrest drivers without fire xtinguisher who only uses their cars within the city?
Re: FRSC Arrests 11,951 Traffic Offenders In Seven Days – Chidoka by Nobody: 4:07pm On Jul 24, 2013
Na Fund Raising Exercise dem carry out.

1 Like

(1) (2) (Reply)

This Is Sad; Really Sad! Europeans Making Jest Of African Beauty / FACT: It Was PDP That Promised To Make Nigeria Ungovernable In 2011, Not Buhari. / Southeast: The Time Is Now!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 33
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.