Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,518 members, 7,823,227 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 07:06 AM

Why Is Everything Bad Termed BLACK? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Why Is Everything Bad Termed BLACK? (4090 Views)

Why Are African Powers Used Negatively And Termed Evil Powers Or Dark Powers / Why Is Ogogoro Termed Illicit & Jack Daniels Isn't ? / Why Is Ogogoro Termed Illicit & Jack Daniels Isn't? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Is Everything Bad Termed BLACK? by Nobody: 11:16am On Jun 17, 2012
Is black a sign of evil, bad condition & everything evil?

Black market, black out, black september, "no wonder the devil is black", black spot, etc, etc...it hurts that everything bad is termed black, we need to start calling some white...lol
Re: Why Is Everything Bad Termed BLACK? by VOfficialR(m): 11:37am On Jun 17, 2012
Becuase of the curse of ham

Because Ham was the father of black people, and because he and his descendants were cursed to be slaves because of his sin against Noah, some Christians said, "Africans and their descendants are destined to be servants, and should accept their status as slaves in fulfillment of biblical prophecy." Now there existed a myth of inferiority with apparent biblical roots. This theological basis provided the raw material necessary to convince the slaves that to resist their assigned inferior status was to resist the will of God. This myth
became an authoritative myth because it was rooted in theology, and slave owners used this twisted theology to sustain a perverted sociology.

This process is known as sacralization, the development of theological and religious beliefs to serve the interest of a particular ethnic or racial group.
Re: Why Is Everything Bad Termed BLACK? by Nobody: 4:17pm On Jun 17, 2012
V_Official®:
Becuase of the curse of ham

Because Ham was the father of black people, and because he and his descendants were cursed to be slaves because of his sin against Noah, some Christians said, "Africans and their descendants are destined to be servants, and should accept their status as slaves in fulfillment of biblical prophecy." Now there existed a myth of inferiority with apparent biblical roots. This theological basis provided the raw material necessary to convince the slaves that to resist their assigned inferior status was to resist the will of God. This myth
became an authoritative myth because it was rooted in theology, and slave owners used this twisted theology to sustain a perverted sociology.

This process is known as sacralization, the development of theological and religious beliefs to serve the interest of a particular ethnic or racial group.

Nice analysis, so are u saying in essence that black in biblical stand point, is evil since they originated from the tribe of Ham It baffles me a lot how we (blacks) cannot challenge things, especially technology, corruption & plane governance....SMH
Re: Why Is Everything Bad Termed BLACK? by VOfficialR(m): 10:51pm On Jun 17, 2012
DailyNews:

Nice analysis, so are u saying in essence that black in biblical stand point, is evil since they originated from the tribe of Ham It baffles me a lot how we (blacks) cannot challenge things, especially technology, corruption & plane governance....SMH
It's awfully embarassing... even if you try debating otherwise, there are black brothers out there that will still be jailed for corruption tommorrow. History is against us, we at the present are not helping things...
The only way we can change the bad notions is to have a positive projection to the future...
That might be hard as nature itself doesn't look so friendly, so... some of us who are bold enough are trying to preach the good message of us to the world through media. That is also not looking too good as the industry's base is either on juju or replication of the white people's work..
we cannot but be persistent and hopefully we will one day cut the chase...
Hopefully....

Everything says we're evil (boko haram scores a point in that), we who believe otherwise will continue working otherwise till the story changes otherwise..
May God help us!!!!
Re: Why Is Everything Bad Termed BLACK? by anonymous6(f): 10:36am On Jun 18, 2012
I feel it is the western world after slavery that started that
Re: Why Is Everything Bad Termed BLACK? by Nobody: 11:31am On Jun 18, 2012
V_Official®:

It's awfully embarassing... even if you try debating otherwise, there are black brothers out there that will still be jailed for corruption tommorrow. History is against us, we at the present are not helping things...
The only way we can change the bad notions is to have a positive projection to the future...
That might be hard as nature itself doesn't look so friendly, so... some of us who are bold enough are trying to preach the good message of us to the world through media. That is also not looking too good as the industry's base is either on juju or replication of the white people's work..
we cannot but be persistent and hopefully we will one day cut the chase...
Hopefully....

Everything says we're evil (boko haram scores a point in that), we who believe otherwise will continue working otherwise till the story changes otherwise..
May God help us!!!!

So disheartening....sighs...we all need to do something...especially the issue of corruption is one too many amongst black race, it amazes me that almost every black person in position of power or authority is corrupt & with intention of looting fund to send to foreign nations.

anonymous6: I feel it is the western world after slavery that started that

Yes, but can't we prove them wrong? Can't stop being over conscious of money & material things as black people & work towards integrity & humanity? This keep bordering me seriously.
Re: Why Is Everything Bad Termed BLACK? by anonymous6(f): 12:49pm On Jun 18, 2012
DailyNews:

Yes, but can't we prove them wrong? Can't stop being over conscious of money & material things as black people & work towards integrity & humanity? This keep bordering me seriously.

Yes, it is possible and I predict will happen and is already happening. Blacks need to progress on their own economically, entertainment wise, academically/educatively and etc. The problem is Blacks from different communities have a different view of how that should go and try to force a mindset on other communities and each community needs to fix their immediate issues, for example I feel Black Africans need to start helping each other economically and fix our image, which is happening through people like Aliko dangote, Patrice Motsepe, stable governments. Plus I feel image wise we I feel we already started through our own media entertainment industry, which we see now in CNN and aljizerra. At the same time internal/national issues in each country in Africa needs to be addressed first before expanding beyond because the issues in like the country of Somalia internally are a strike difference from the internal issues in Nigeria or Ghana for example. You have to fix you back yard first before helping other people's backyard but that doesn't mean you don't help at all but their are limitations.

When it comes to Black diasporians(Caribbeans, Black south Americans, and etc), I feel they need to fix their immediate problems and progress on their own as well.

Slow and steady wins the race but I don't agree with the United States of Africa nonsense, where every country is a state and then there is one president because North Africa will have preference over the rest, and I don't think they have Africa at best at heart. I also feel african americans and Black africans need to stop getting in disagreements with each other or forcing racial mindsets on each other because it isn't necessary, it is a pure waste of time because each communities have their own issues they should worry about and put that energy in their communities. To me I have seen this personally because I am a first generation Nigerian born in America, and have seen the mindset of both communities and is totally different for the most part except for racism of course but that is just experience wise, they each community addresses it is different I have noticed.

Lastly the self hate issues and love for mixed race people over our own needs to stop, especially with certain communities in Black diasporia because they are the ones I see do it the most and whites see this and use it against blacks; the only country I can let slide with this is Haiti but the rest not so much. I am not saying to hate mixed race people but they are not the future of the Black africans particularly at all, to a extent black Caribbeans as well but Africans americans well it is up to that community.
Re: Why Is Everything Bad Termed BLACK? by VOfficialR(m): 12:59pm On Jun 18, 2012
Let me share one of the personal ways i've been trying to help this...

This virus is far more than what we can all heal, we can only help our immediate environment (the ones within the reach of our power), so...
i'm planning to create a club (sort of like a cult), where the members are those with utmost sincerity, high prestige, high self esteem and high integrity. we might just be 5 or less. So far we share the same aim of purification, we'll share ideas and spread systematically (more on screen than reality though)...
This sickness is to widely spread to be cleansed at once, we can just help our immediate environment...

Hope good people out there can also hold their heads up.
The unborn will never want to experience this world if where they'll live can be foreseen. I pity them but unfortunately, i can only help my own...

Hope there are good people out there who can create a good world for their unborn to live in :S
Re: Why Is Everything Bad Termed BLACK? by anonymous6(f): 1:06pm On Jun 18, 2012
V_Official®:
Let me share one of the personal ways i've been trying to help this...

This virus is far more than what we can all heal, we can only help our immediate environment (the ones within the reach of our power), so...
i'm planning to create a club (sort of like a cult), where the members are those with utmost sincerity, high prestige, high self esteem and high integrity. we might just be 5 or less. So far we share the same aim of purification, we'll share ideas and spread systematically (more on screen than reality though)...
This sickness is to widely spread to be cleanse at once, we can just help our immediate environment...

exactly, the immediate environment is what needs to be addresses, as far as I am concerned; Nigerians fix their problems as a primary goal, african american fix their problems as a primary goal, and etc. Your online club you want to start is good, start small and expand. This is one of the reasons I am glad Nigeria has their own business/entrepreneur sector, media, fashion industry, entertainment industry and etc now, they are doing what Indians are doing for their own community for a while now, not wait on the western world for help on it.
Re: Why Is Everything Bad Termed BLACK? by VOfficialR(m): 1:29pm On Jun 18, 2012
anonymous6:

exactly, the immediate environment is what needs to be addresses, as far as I am concerned; Nigerians fix their problems as a primary goal, african american fix their problems as a primary goal, and etc. Your online club you want to start is good, start small and expand. This is one of the reasons I am glad Nigeria has their own business/entrepreneur sector, media, fashion industry, entertainment industry and etc now, they are doing what Indians are doing for their own community for a while now, not wait on the western world for help on it.
Hopefully...
I dont think we should be compared to the likes of india for now. although, we are thriving in these sectors as you've mentioned buh you shouldnt leave behind the main aim most of us (esp Nigerians) are going into business, too win at all cost. If our motivation is development, a different pictured will definitely be painted but as it is now...
So help us God!!!
Re: Why Is Everything Bad Termed BLACK? by anonymous6(f): 3:51pm On Jun 18, 2012
V_Official®:

Hopefully...
I dont think we should be compared to the likes of india for now. although, we are thriving in these sectors as you've mentioned buh you shouldnt leave behind the main aim most of us (esp Nigerians) are going into business, too win at all cost. If our motivation is development, a different pictured will definitely be painted but as it is now...
So help us God!!!

I agree
Re: Why Is Everything Bad Termed BLACK? by PhysicsQED(m): 11:38pm On Jun 18, 2012
@ V Official

First, as far as "Ham, Shem, and Japheth" are concerned, none of those people existed, and Noah probably didn't either.

The person called "Noah" is a version of Utnapishtim/Ziusudra (look it up), and the fantastical stories about these people are not real, even if they might be based on real people who survived a (local, not global) flood in the middle east in ancient times and then perpetuated the idea that God intended specifically for them to survive because they weren't wicked.

The "curse of Ham" is not a curse on Ham, but on Canaan. The Israelites invaded and conquered Canaan and to justify this they asserted that the religion of the Canaanites was evil and also that the Canaanites were cursed for something lewd that their supposed forefather (Ham) did to his father Noah. Whether their religion was really "evil" or not, the Phoenicians (Canaanites) don't really exist as a nation or distinct culture today and they were conquered by the Iranians (Cyrus the Great), an "Indo-European" group, and by Greeks (Alexander the Great and multiple other times), a European group, and also the Romans (after the Battle of Carthage), another European group, and all of these groups could be interpreted as being descended from "Japheth" (who for whatever reason is associated with Europeans just as Ham is associated with blacks) had he existed, seemingly confirming Genesis 9:27 to people who believe in that sort of stuff.

Of course the Canaanites were actually definitely a Semitic group so they would actually have been descendants of "Shem" had he existed and very closely related to the Israelites, but the story claims they are descendants of Ham for reasons best known to the author that made up the story. Probably it was best to distance the Canaanites from the Israelites by claiming an alternate origin for them since their practices were considered evil and they were considered the enemy.

Ham, Shem, and Japheth are actually blessed by God in the Bible. Since Ham is blessed by God and not cursed by Noah, and his son Canaan is singled out for punishment, it makes no sense for people to assert that "Ham is cursed and blacks are descended from Ham, so blacks are cursed" like some people do. Not just because the story is religious fiction, but also because the bible just doesn't support that interpretation.

If you've read the Bible you will remember this episode:

Moses takes an "Ethiopian" (black) wife upon leaving Egypt and one of Aaron's female relatives or some other woman in their group objects to this and as punishment God turns that woman's skin to a pale white color.

The import of this fable is obvious - God doesn't have a problem with the skin color of "Ethiopians" (blacks).

Since you seem to believe in the Bible or one of the Abrahamic religions, I just thought you should know this.
Re: Why Is Everything Bad Termed BLACK? by VOfficialR(m): 10:24am On Jun 19, 2012
Thanks for the heads man. imma check it up
Re: Why Is Everything Bad Termed BLACK? by Nobody: 10:43am On Jun 19, 2012
PhysicsQED: @ V Official

First, as far as "Ham, Shem, and Japheth" are concerned, none of those people existed, and Noah probably didn't either.

The person called "Noah" is a version of Utnapishtim/Ziusudra (look it up), and the fantastical stories about these people are not real, even if they might be based on real people who survived a (local, not global) flood in the middle east in ancient times and then perpetuated the idea that God intended specifically for them to survive because they weren't wicked.

The "curse of Ham" is not a curse on Ham, but on Canaan. The Israelites invaded and conquered Canaan and to justify this they asserted that the religion of the Canaanites was evil and also that the Canaanites were cursed for something lewd that their supposed forefather (Ham) did to his father Noah. Whether their religion was really "evil" or not, the Phoenicians (Canaanites) don't really exist as a nation or distinct culture today and they were conquered by the Iranians (Cyrus the Great), an "Indo-European" group, and by Greeks (Alexander the Great and multiple other times), a European group, and also the Romans (after the Battle of Carthage), another European group, and all of these groups could be interpreted as being descended from "Japheth" (who for whatever reason is associated with Europeans just as Ham is associated with blacks) had he existed, seemingly confirming Genesis 9:27 to people who believe in that sort of stuff.

Of course the Canaanites were actually definitely a Semitic group so they would actually have been descendants of "Shem" had he existed and very closely related to the Israelites, but the story claims they are descendants of Ham for reasons best known to the author that made up the story. Probably it was best to distance the Canaanites from the Israelites by claiming an alternate origin for them since their practices were considered evil and they were considered the enemy.

Ham, Shem, and Japheth are actually blessed by God in the Bible. Since Ham is blessed by God and not cursed by Noah, and his son Canaan is singled out for punishment, it makes no sense for people to assert that "Ham is cursed and blacks are descended from Ham, so blacks are cursed" like some people do. Not just because the story is religious fiction, but also because the bible just doesn't support that interpretation.

If you've read the Bible you will remember this episode:

Moses takes an "Ethiopian" (black) wife upon leaving Egypt and one of Aaron's female relatives or some other woman in their group objects to this and as punishment God turns that woman's skin to a pale white color.

The import of this fable is obvious - God doesn't have a problem with the skin color of "Ethiopians" (blacks).

Since you seem to believe in the Bible or one of the Abrahamic religions, I just thought you should know this.

This write-up is highly tempting...wow...what a piece for research, hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm....

(1) (Reply)

Rastafarianism / Meet The Leader Of The Popular Aba Women's Riot Of 1929 (photo) / Lets Discuss The Possibility Of An Igbo Language Section

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.