Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,843 members, 7,810,248 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 02:16 AM

My 2005 Avensis Slows Down After Reaching 100 Kh - Car Talk - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Car Talk / My 2005 Avensis Slows Down After Reaching 100 Kh (1527 Views)

Help! My 2005 Toyota Camry Has A Rattling Noise On Starting It. / My Car Slows Significantly With The AC On / My 2003 Nissan Maxima Keeps Stalling Whenever It Slows Down . (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

My 2005 Avensis Slows Down After Reaching 100 Kh by maphed: 3:08pm On Jul 24, 2013
I need urgent advice pls. Toyota avensis 2005 slows down a bit and the sound from the engine increases whenever i accelerate up to 100. Even when i try to apply more pressure on the throttle,the engine noise increases with just little more increase in speed.This happens for about a minute b4 it stabilizies again.I dnt just go beyond 110 even when making a long distance journey.
My mech seems confused,plus i dnt wanna complicate issues more. Pls help a friend
Re: My 2005 Avensis Slows Down After Reaching 100 Kh by JUO(m): 6:29pm On Jul 24, 2013
manual or automatic, what is the rpm like?
Re: My 2005 Avensis Slows Down After Reaching 100 Kh by IdaraCHODB(m): 7:27am On Jul 25, 2013
blocked catalyst? once my car would accelerate to 80 km/hr but had difficulty going beyond that, turned out to be a blocked catalytic cnverter. might want to check that. do a scan.
Re: My 2005 Avensis Slows Down After Reaching 100 Kh by maphed: 8:19am On Jul 25, 2013
JUO: manual or automatic, what is the rpm like?

Automatic sir,any idea?
Re: My 2005 Avensis Slows Down After Reaching 100 Kh by maphed: 8:22am On Jul 25, 2013
IdaraCHODB: blocked catalyst? once my car would accelerate to 80 km/hr but had difficulty going beyond that, turned out to be a blocked catalytic cnverter. might want to check that. do a scan.

Noted sir,pls expantiate on what a blocked catalytic converter is pls.Thanks a million
Re: My 2005 Avensis Slows Down After Reaching 100 Kh by IdaraCHODB(m): 9:36am On Jul 25, 2013
Re: My 2005 Avensis Slows Down After Reaching 100 Kh by kakameks: 9:54am On Jul 25, 2013
I suspect it could be your gear trying to get into overdrive.
Same as the noise, if you observe when the noise occurs your RPM will suddenly jump, it may hover between 4000 - 5000 rpm, this could be when the gear are trying to get into overdrive and failing, that also explain why you cant go above the 110km/p mark, the overdrive is supposed to take it from there.

But wait o, are you sure you did not put your overdrive switch off? or is the switch faulty? you may look into that.

But mean while don't over race your engine as your racing it closer to the grave, drive at the car's limit for now while you fix the problem. Try not to exceed 3500-4000 rpm.
Re: My 2005 Avensis Slows Down After Reaching 100 Kh by maphed: 1:43pm On Jul 25, 2013
Re: My 2005 Avensis Slows Down After Reaching 100 Kh by maphed: 2:17pm On Jul 25, 2013
kakameks: I suspect it could be your gear trying to get into overdrive.
Same as the noise, if you observe when the noise occurs your RPM will suddenly jump, it may hover between 4000 - 5000 rpm, this could be when the gear are trying to get into overdrive and failing, that also explain why you cant go above the 110km/p mark, the overdrive is supposed to take it from there.

But wait o, are you sure you did not put your overdrive switch off? or is the switch faulty? you may look into that.

But mean while don't over race your engine as your racing it closer to the grave, drive at the car's limit for now while you fix the problem. Try not to exceed 3500-4000 rpm.
Thanks a bunch. I ensure i dnt exceed its limit.There is a little switch just above the gear surface,i mean where u have the numbering D1,D2 ....and so on.Cld dat be the overdrive switch? If not,where cld it be? Whats the likely solution to a failing overdrive?
Thanks
Re: My 2005 Avensis Slows Down After Reaching 100 Kh by maphed: 2:23pm On Jul 25, 2013
IdaraCHODB: blocked catalyst? once my car would accelerate to 80 km/hr but had difficulty going beyond that, turned out to be a blocked catalytic cnverter. might want to check that. do a scan.

This makes a lot of sense to me.Too bad my location wnt allow a scan,no such facility around here.Do u think local mechs wld ever understand this if i try to throw some light in the direction of ur suggestion?
Re: My 2005 Avensis Slows Down After Reaching 100 Kh by IdaraCHODB(m): 4:22pm On Jul 25, 2013
yes they would

BUT t

hey usually want to cut out the entire catalytic converter to check if it is blocked, cut before and after the catalytic converter.

But it is your car, you can insist they do as you saw in the video by showing them the video, the issue is how many of them have the tester Scott uses in that video.

The problem with cutting is that you are forced to work with him return things to normal and will definitely cost you more than just drilling a hole would have cost.

So the simple way out is order that tester or hire it - am sure if you tell us your location, we might be able to point you to someone who might have and then you can go to a panel beater and ask him to drill those two holes and give you a chance to perform the test and then seal back the holes.

What do you think?

You can also get an obd tester, am sure you can get a unit for about $100 excluding shipping for personal use, the professional editions cost much much more.
Re: My 2005 Avensis Slows Down After Reaching 100 Kh by maphed: 10:33pm On Aug 20, 2013
Tanks for ur wonderful contributions. I finally rectified the problem. It was bad gear box oil,tanks to the low-life who sold me expired oil few months back
My car is back and firing,just lik the capital one rides! Lol....God bless my hitherto clueless mech
Re: My 2005 Avensis Slows Down After Reaching 100 Kh by IdaraCHODB(m): 7:45am On Aug 22, 2013
Great, and how did you reach that diagnosis? Not questioning it though! Your mechanic? A transmission tech? Or someone else?

Am plain curious!
Re: My 2005 Avensis Slows Down After Reaching 100 Kh by maphed: 12:41am On Aug 27, 2013
IdaraCHODB: Great, and how did you reach that diagnosis? Not questioning it though! Your mechanic? A transmission tech? Or someone else?

Am plain curious!

All through the period of complain,i never really explained to my mech cos i felt it was sumtin more tech..i told every other person dat cared 2listen though.
I was confused as i had gathered too many info,both confusing once as regards the problem.Dropped by my mech one day cos it was getting worse and i gave him in details..he went straight to check the gear oil,it looked ok,told him it was just 3months and cldnt have caused such problem...i still had one unfinished can left,we checked the expiry date and it had expired 3months b4 i bought it..i guess they all had same dates. He emptied it and u cld percieve the smell of burnt oil! was really bad but looked ok frm d gauge. We changed it and bang....i cldnt bliv it was same car,made a trip from benin to abj and back over d weekend...real cool.

Taking time to say all these cos its such a huge relief for me and i might just be helping someone here too.
Pls take expiry dates seriously. Even for airtime now,i dey check b4 i buy nw
Re: My 2005 Avensis Slows Down After Reaching 100 Kh by IdaraCHODB(m): 8:00pm On Aug 30, 2013
Am so happy for you. It takes a lot to find out the root of a car problem because different problems can produce the same symptoms. I am glad that in the end, you got your car back! lol!!

(1) (Reply)

By 2020 : Volvo Cars Will Predict Accidents BEFORE They Happen / Urgent! Urgent!! Urgent.pls Advise On My Hyundai H1 2010 / Help, Nissan Almera

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 26
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.