Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,762 members, 7,824,186 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 03:36 AM

What Has Love For Novels Gotten You Into? - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / What Has Love For Novels Gotten You Into? (6754 Views)

All About "JAMES HADLEY CHASE" Novels #ones You'v Read & Experiences / Those Who Love Novels / James Hadley Chase Novels: Share Your Experience (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

What Has Love For Novels Gotten You Into? by uzygirl(f): 7:37pm On May 25, 2006
Hi novel lovers,

Has your love for reading novels ever gotten you into a situation?
Could be funny, hillarious, awkward, embarrassing, upsetting, or downright bizzare.
Check this out:

My father once held family meeting on my behalf, why? He claimed I was learning how to commit murder!!!!
I was only reading "A time to Kill" by John Grisham.

Another time I got the beating of my life because I locked mysef up in the toilet for hours, dodging chores but reading for hours, only to come out clutching a novel. I can still remember the expression on my mom's face when she saw the cover. It was a temptation mills and boom series.
I learnt my lesson then, and have progressed to reading overnight instead.

What about you?
Re: What Has Love For Novels Gotten You Into? by beyunce(f): 8:10pm On May 25, 2006
well it as done no harm to me but good.
Re: What Has Love For Novels Gotten You Into? by beyunce(f): 8:13pm On May 25, 2006
well it as done no harm to me but good. educative, funny, tense e.t.c
Re: What Has Love For Novels Gotten You Into? by Zahymaka(m): 1:01am On May 26, 2006
You're like me uzygirl. I'm always with one -- eating, in the toilet, even when I'm in front of my system and I'm waiting for it to boot up, in between IM messages, etc grin grin.

My friends in secondary school said I went deaf anytime I had a book in hand. In order to catch my attention they'd either place a hand over the book or snatch it from me.

The biggest blooper has to be that I missed my flight from Washington DC to Charleston and almost missed the Frankfurt -- Washington DC flight.
Re: What Has Love For Novels Gotten You Into? by molluma(f): 3:12pm On May 26, 2006
hmm my dears that getting caught in the toilet when u are meant to be doing something else should be made a criteria for getting who the real freaks are.well my love 4 novels has got me into some desperate situations like walkin up to any one i see reading a book to beg the person for his or her no so i can come and collect books, if u go through my phone the no off name wit the suffix or pre fix "novels|" is alarming
embarassed
Re: What Has Love For Novels Gotten You Into? by uzygirl(f): 4:01pm On May 26, 2006
beyunce:

well it as done no harm to me but good. educative, funny, tense e.t.c

@beyunce, Sure reading has benefitted us all, or else we wouldn't have moved it from past-time to hobby. I agree completely that they're educative.
Just wanted to get some funny situations from nairalanders who are book lovers.
My friends complain that I ignore them too once I'm holding a book.
Problem is, I'm not that devoted to school books. Don't tell I said that oh, they'll wonder how I get my grades!!
Re: What Has Love For Novels Gotten You Into? by dominobaby(f): 12:37pm On Jun 01, 2006
I go 'temporarily deaf' n u got to scream or snatch d book 4m me to get my attention.
These days, i dnt read as much as b4.
Re: What Has Love For Novels Gotten You Into? by nwadinma(f): 4:41pm On Jun 10, 2006
reading novel got me broke last yr. i forgot i had only 500 naira with me and when i saw this novel called TANAMARA a singapor BS. i lost control of my self and bought it for 400 naira and i needed 150 to get back home. now dont ask me how i got home cos it was not funny.
Re: What Has Love For Novels Gotten You Into? by md4real(m): 3:46pm On Jun 13, 2006
Reading of novel has done a lot for me:it increase my vacabulary and other stuff in english language. it has also corrupted my mind{u know what i mean}. On a serious note,instead of reading for my test i shared the time in 2 and read novels and the other part read 4 my test or fell asleep. " i had stolen and lied just 2 buy a novel"
uzygirl:

Hi novel lovers,

Has your love for reading novels ever gotten you into a situation?
Could be funny, hillarious, awkward, embarrassing, upsetting, or downright bizzare.
Check this out:

My father once held family meeting on my behalf, why? He claimed I was learning how to commit murder!!!!
I was only reading "A time to Kill" by John Grisham.

Another time I got the beating of my life because I locked mysef up in the toilet for hours, dodging chores but reading for hours, only to come out clutching a novel. I can still remember the expression on my mom's face when she saw the cover. It was a temptation mills and boom series.
I learnt my lesson then, and have progressed to reading overnight instead.

What about you?

Re: What Has Love For Novels Gotten You Into? by Consultant(f): 6:59pm On Jun 14, 2006
I like to read when i eat and eat when i read. So whenever i have a good novel to read, i put on one or two pounds cheesy
Re: What Has Love For Novels Gotten You Into? by hotangel2(f): 7:22pm On Jun 14, 2006
When i was a novel reading freak. Well u can imagine. I'm reading it while waiting for my bucket to full when i go n fetch water, reading it when the mallam im buying stuffs from is busy, reading it when the sermon in church is boring, reading it when im in the toilet, reading it when the house  is sleeping, reading it when im spose to read my school book.

I HAD TO STOP!!!!!!!!!!! I MEAN I HAD TO STOP!. My aunt/mom was in support of me reading it, because she knows it teaches alot and u know the advantages. But my cousins!!  Na wahala!!! yetunde u do this, yetunde u are this, reading reading.

The permanent trouble was when i had to go do something, and i stuck a pen in between pages, so that when i get back, i'll know where i stopped without trouble. Not knowing that the page was Bleep. My cousin opened the page, and read it, NNa men, YAWA GASS OO!

I was like, why not read what lead to that place, and blah blah. That is story, i was BANNED from reading novels, if it's not written by Bishop David Oyedepo and co. lol cheesy

Anyways that's history. i stopped reading novels, and started reading key-points. Then  took a novel one day to read, I totally lost interest. that was how my love for novels died.

BUT the story isn't done. LAst Thursday, i collected a book for my friend from the school library. I opened the first page, and before i knew what was happenin, i was in chapter two!!!

The book is "ANOTHER WOMAN" BY ERIC JEROME DICKEY! Awesome book. I ordered some more of jerome's books. lol, 

The new trouble that one got me was, I wanted to finish the book yesterday so i can give my friend her book today. Can u believe i didn't sleep till 5:10am and i had a 7:35am class? I woke up late, and missed my morning class. Now im here, done reading the book, and i guess i got my reading novel mojo back. lol, That is one fxxcking good book. Y'all should READ IT! For real.

i also got some of ZANE's book. I started reading it this morning, im reading "shame on it all". Chapter one is fun, can't wait to continue.

Okay i didn't know my story was going to be THIS LONG!
Re: What Has Love For Novels Gotten You Into? by Zahymaka(m): 7:43pm On Jun 14, 2006
I don't think I can give up reading novels. Lately, I've been reading with some moderation.

I can read about five 600-page books in a day [you need to see my eyes moving!] so I stay away from novels throughout the week, then borrow fifteen novels from the library on Saturday and return them all on Monday.

After that, I don't 'near' the fiction bookshelves.
Re: What Has Love For Novels Gotten You Into? by inspira(f): 7:46pm On Jun 14, 2006
i used to think i was a serious novel freak till i read ur replies.anywayz i guess i did the same thing u guys did and it was a dream come true when a novel shop opened on my street but now they're closed sad .i ALWAYS stare at the place where ist formely was b4 they tore it down as if it'll just come back.
  well i'm   looking at the good side of it cuz my pal told me that u start behaving like those novel ppl esp the m&b's and i definitely don't want premarital sex
Re: What Has Love For Novels Gotten You Into? by rikkyjen(m): 8:52pm On Jun 14, 2006
I remember years back in hig school in Naija, I could steal a best friends novel,then run to JSS classes during night prep to read it, obviously they always know am the one undecided undecided.i was/am so obsessed about novels that even a day to finals, if i see a novel, bye to exam textbooks
Re: What Has Love For Novels Gotten You Into? by oghos2k(m): 9:15pm On Jun 14, 2006
It has made me want to become an Agent. KIdding. cant be one, I'll get killed,
Re: What Has Love For Novels Gotten You Into? by Outkast(f): 3:39am On Jun 15, 2006
Man, I f only you guys knew

My spanish class 4 class in high school I failed because I discoveed the world of Eric Jerome Dickey, Omar Tyree, Sister Soulja, Zane( you have to pick up a Zane book to know what I mean)Terry Mcmillan and co, One read I got hooked instead of paying attention in class, my girls and I would sneak off to discuss book, I can still feel the pain in my nyash when daddy saw my results

I missed a job interview, I was reading Silent Honor by Danielle Steel and missed my stop, It took me 3 hours to get back, well you know what happened.
Re: What Has Love For Novels Gotten You Into? by ify2love2(f): 12:32pm On Jun 17, 2006
This question is not funny at all. It remind me of the several things i had done just because i want to finish reading a particular novel. There was a day that it was my turn to cook for the family. I entered the kitchen with my novel of course. And guess what i was reading? The novel was one of Diannelle Steel "REMEMBRANCE" it was not my first time, although my attitude has already started worrying my family.

I was preparing Ogbonno soup, and i did not follow the normal way to prepare the soup, you know now-THE SHORTCUT. When it get to the stage of adding salt by then i was already shedding tears because of what happened to one of the characters, i just don't know what happened, i took the can of salt and emptied it in the pot of soup. Oh my God!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! that night was the one time i always remembered as be beaten. It was not funny at all. My family went to bed on empty stomach, while some sour garri. But that does not stop me from continuing with the novel. I was crying and reading. It was an addiction.

When i arrived at Lagos. I boarded a bus from oshodi going to Ikeja, i was supposed to alight at Levetis bus stop. I was bending over a novel titled 'STANDS A CALDER MAN' when i heard the conductor saying " this girl you no go come down, abi you dey deaf, this na the last bus stop oooooohhhhh".

After, that last incident, i managed to find my way back to levetis, it was not easy as a village girl wey just come Lagos. I vowed never to touch novel again ever with a long stick. And guess what, i have been delivered. If you want to be delivered join me and read JOURNEY by Diannelle Steel. That is what i am reading now. Care to have a look :Laugh jarry no be you fualt.
Re: What Has Love For Novels Gotten You Into? by damygurl(f): 1:17am On Jun 18, 2006
I love reading. can't do without it.
I had my grade lowered by a letter grade for reading by this teacher and my classmates think i'm a sex addict. it gets on my nerves cuz they r alwayz making this comments and asking me questions dat just make me wanna slap them.
All the teachers are on to me and they r alwayz threatening to do something if i don't stop reading in their class.

About 5yrs ago cuz peeps know i lov reading they started bringing me cool books and i had to pay them 4 it. after that they lend me books then steal it from me and i had to pay them back the whole cost of the book, this happened like 4times.
Re: What Has Love For Novels Gotten You Into? by hotangel2(f): 4:58am On Jun 18, 2006
Outkast, i think we r gonna bcome friends. I just got in the world of eric Jerome dickey and ZANE. i know wat u mean by ZANE!!

u should read her book "ADDICTED". girl, u'll BOW!!!!!! cheesy
Re: What Has Love For Novels Gotten You Into? by Outkast(f): 2:58am On Jun 19, 2006
@hot-angel. girl I've read all her book except the new one she just edited. If you liked Addicted, you should read
Nervous, Sky-scraper and isters of APF(you'll love this one)
Sex chronicles a bit raw (what am I saying, it's RRRRRAAAWWW)

Girl tell me what else you read?
Re: What Has Love For Novels Gotten You Into? by somebody(f): 8:45am On Jun 19, 2006
Can I join the Eric Jerome fan club cause I absoultely adore him?? Another woman is whoa, I really liked that. I have read all Dickey's books apart from his new one which I am going to order off ebay now. Been waiting to be less busy before doing that. Other black fiction authors I love are Marissa Montleigh, Omar Tyree and Michael Baisden. Hmm, enough of the story.
Re: What Has Love For Novels Gotten You Into? by Zahymaka(m): 2:13pm On Jun 19, 2006
Err. . . please I've been seeing some rather strange authors' names. As you mention anyone can you specify what genre he / she writes in so that others that love that area can also join in reading the author's books?

I'm a bit prejudiced and stick to authors I know except I happen to pick up a book judging by the title and discover another author.

I just started reading Stephen Hunter last week. He's been called a blend of John le Carre and Robert Ludlum and I agree - he's completely unpredictable, his sex scenes (something every bestselling American author uses angry angry angry) like Grisham are very very inexplicit [which I love] and the winner never takes all.

I've read The Second Saladin and The Spanish Gambit - they're both as Grisham would say 'a shocking read.'
Re: What Has Love For Novels Gotten You Into? by Rhodalyn(f): 2:16pm On Jun 19, 2006
well, I love reading, but not just Some dull books! the Only books I love to read are ''Sweet Valley'', Mills and boon and harlequin Romance''
Re: What Has Love For Novels Gotten You Into? by Outkast(f): 2:30pm On Jun 19, 2006
@Zah, Hi, lobg time right? Well the authors mentioned are classified as Black-Interest books I'm in Love with John Grisham also, I'll take a look at Stephen Hunter. I think one of my favorites of Grisham is The Rainmaker,The pelican brief and the chamber

@Rho, lol, I used to read those in Nigeria especially the sweet-valley, and I mean all the series including the SVU ones

@Somebody, Micheal Baisden's good. I love maintenance man and God's gift to women(you should read that if you havent, the suspense is like whoa)
Re: What Has Love For Novels Gotten You Into? by Zahymaka(m): 3:15pm On Jun 19, 2006
Rhodalyn, what do you mean by dull books? Everyone has their tastes - my pet aversion would be towards anything Romance and Erotica.

Outkast, it's been quite a while. Are you on AIM?
Re: What Has Love For Novels Gotten You Into? by Rhodalyn(f): 3:17pm On Jun 19, 2006
@Outkast kiss
they're interesting aint they?? cheesy kiss i love them! esp the Unniversity wink

@Zah cheesy
by dull books i mean dull books cheesy
Re: What Has Love For Novels Gotten You Into? by Outkast(f): 3:49pm On Jun 19, 2006
@Zahy, unfortunately no, more on YIM,
Re: What Has Love For Novels Gotten You Into? by hotangel2(f): 9:23pm On Jun 19, 2006
Outkast, im presently reading "Shame on it all" by ZANE.

I'm in chapter 3 and i started it this morning.

Another great black author is Morrison Mary B. I haven't read all of jerome's book, neither ZANE's, but I'm getting there sister!!!

U should read "drive me crazy" by eric Jerome. That book is GENIUS!! As in the storyline, some parts were boring, but it makes sense. I must confess, i skipped some pages tho. cheesy

I reuqested all of jeromes book in my library. Gosh, im back to my reading ways. I read Kimberla Lawson Roby's "A TASTE OF REALITY" over the weekend. She's not a well known author, but i love her books.

I love black authors, they touch MY SOUL!! lol, I'm not descriminating please. lol there's just the, feeling to their books.
Re: What Has Love For Novels Gotten You Into? by hotangel2(f): 9:27pm On Jun 19, 2006
somebody:

Can I join the Eric Jerome fan club cause I absoultely adore him?? Another woman is whoa, I really liked that.

Girl u see that book is awesome!! I read in it. When freckles said: Goddamn. And charlse said: God's last name and damn.

Then freckles said: Well mother's last name ain't fxxcker either, but u sure is acting like one right now.

That got me cracking!!! Mother's last name aint fxxcker. True talk.
Re: What Has Love For Novels Gotten You Into? by ify2love2(f): 11:37am On Jun 20, 2006
you have not answered the question. Have you ever gotten into trouble because you are addicted to novels?
Re: What Has Love For Novels Gotten You Into? by uzygirl(f): 1:08pm On Jun 21, 2006
WOW!!!!!!! shocked shocked shocked shocked

Reading all these replies made me realize that I'm not alone in the world of books. I used to think i was weird or something else when I would skip meals and even classes because I was reading novels, but I was really bowed over by some of your replies.

Just yesterday evening, three friends from my old school came to visit me. I had just started reading a Mary Higgins Clark[i]-"Let Me Call You Sweetheart"[/i] before they arrived. Can You guess what happened next?

After "aahhh, is this you", "long time no see" and the "so whats happening now" (I had not seen two of them in 3 years) I excused myself, left them with my mum, went into the room and back to my novel!! Two hours later I emerged with a satisfied smile from my "cocoon" to find the sitting room empty.

I sent my apologies thru sms last night, I haven't got the courage to call them yet. What do I tell them?
Re: What Has Love For Novels Gotten You Into? by Zahymaka(m): 4:58pm On Jun 21, 2006
Chei shocked shocked shocked. They must have felt real bad cry cry cry.

I think we ought to control ourselves more. There was a time I used to read while walking - and I never bumped into anyone.

I eventually stopped because some people thought I looked crazy - others thought I was 'forming' [or is it 'feeling'?].

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Shadows! / PHOTOS: Chimamanda Adichie Receives Honorary Degree From University Of London / The President ’ S Daughter And I (18 +) By Phemmyjnr

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.