Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,452 members, 7,812,383 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 12:32 PM

European Nations Cup 2008 Discussion Thread - Sports (26) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / European Nations Cup 2008 Discussion Thread (23679 Views)

African Under 17 Nations Cup: Golden Eaglets trashed Gabon, qualifies. / Your First Nations Cup / Multimedia Centre: Nations Cup 2006 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (23) (24) (25) (26) (27) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: European Nations Cup 2008 Discussion Thread by 4Play(m): 10:44pm On Jun 29, 2008
These Gunners have no shame! After 3 trophyless years,they have been reduced to claiming trophies won by their players on national duty .
Re: European Nations Cup 2008 Discussion Thread by romeo(m): 10:49pm On Jun 29, 2008
A POR ELLOS OEEEEEEEEEEEE A POR ELLOS OEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SOMOS LOS CAMPEONES DE EUROPA grin grin grin grin
Re: European Nations Cup 2008 Discussion Thread by noetic(m): 10:49pm On Jun 29, 2008
4 Play:

These Gunners have no shame! After 3 trophyless years,they have been reduced to claiming trophies won by their players on national duty .

GERRAAWWAAAAYYYYYYYYYY UP GUNNERS
Re: European Nations Cup 2008 Discussion Thread by lailai2(m): 10:52pm On Jun 29, 2008
romeo:

A POR ELLOS OEEEEEEEEEEEE A POR ELLOS OEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

SOMO LOS CAMPEONES DE EUROPA grin grin grin grin

i think i agree
Re: European Nations Cup 2008 Discussion Thread by bgees(m): 11:22pm On Jun 29, 2008
1st of all,these gunners should take it easy . Liverpool fc has 4 players in d spanish squad but we liverpool fans are not doing like you are doin.
Spain deserved to win but i'm really impressd with senna,xavi,iniesta,torres and ramos.
I'm just happy torres scored his trademark goal tonight. Spain should try and be world champions in 2010 but they are still underachievers.
Re: European Nations Cup 2008 Discussion Thread by mystikal(m): 12:01am On Jun 30, 2008
Hannibal:

Ronaldo is our best player and Portugal cannot do without him. . . .Spain showed they can do without Fab4 with midfield generals like Xavi, Iniesta, Alonso and Senna. . . . .
@ Hannibal
was only referring 2 ur quote
No matter how you look at it, u just cant shrug of the fact , that Cesc is a brilliant even if he had limited minutes with Spain.
Re: European Nations Cup 2008 Discussion Thread by Hannibal: 12:12am On Jun 30, 2008
@ Mystikal,

My quote was to take a jab at Debo who can't seem to get his head straight about Arsenal.
Why poke shots because Cesc(the only Arsenal player) in Spain won the Euros??
What should Barca fans do then? Scream the roof off.

Cesc is as brilliant as Anderson. . . . . They still have a long way to go.
Re: European Nations Cup 2008 Discussion Thread by doyin13(m): 12:35am On Jun 30, 2008
Fabregas did not play well today. Largely Anonymous

I prefer Iniesta but he was not at his best during the tourney.

Xavi and Senna were the true studs.
Re: European Nations Cup 2008 Discussion Thread by rikkyjen(m): 2:18am On Jun 30, 2008
Summary of Michael Ballack's ill-rotten luck

2002 runner up champions league
2002 runner up world cup
2007 runner up premierleague
2008 runner up premierleague
2008 runner up champions league
2008 runner up Carling cup
2008 runner up European championship

At this point, Ballack should be re-christened as the'running man" grin grin grin. Honestly, this guy should never start a final again. . . He is jinxed!!!!. . . embarassed embarassed embarassed. I feel so sorry for this man who has lost a lot of finals and finale in his career. cry
Re: European Nations Cup 2008 Discussion Thread by lordimpaq(m): 6:03am On Jun 30, 2008
i thot it was about the euros,

who brought arsenal into it,

if arsenal is brought into it, then why can't anyone bring in liverpool or barcelona or villareal or valencia,

its the euros not the premier league,
Re: European Nations Cup 2008 Discussion Thread by hustler(m): 7:20am On Jun 30, 2008
It has become obvious that most people only support teams that have their best club players in it.

Rather pathetic the way Nigerians follow football. The same kind of ppl that opened an Inter Thread cuz Mourinho went there, That jumped to Barca cuz Henry moved there.

Really pathetic.

COngratulations to Aragones. What a good tactician he is.
Re: European Nations Cup 2008 Discussion Thread by PoDeep(m): 8:15am On Jun 30, 2008
What an end to Euro 2008.
Anyway, congrats to Spain.
Next on - SA 2010!
Re: European Nations Cup 2008 Discussion Thread by dayokanu(m): 8:45am On Jun 30, 2008
Is it not funny that Arsenal fans became spanish fans by default hailing Fabregas who was the least influential member of the team.

In last nights game he had little influence. See the player ratings here http://www.goal.com/en/Articolo.aspx?ContenutoId=756588

If Arsenal fans who contributed just one subtitute player to Spain victory should be rejoicing what then should Barcelona- Xavi, Iniesta, Puyol. Madrid- Cassilas, Sergio Ramos. Valencia- Marchena, Silva, Villareal - Senna, Capdevilla and others.

How is fabregas different from Carzola, Guiza, and other substitute?.

To the game proper. The best side won the tourney. In games like these little details determine the winner like the communication breakdown between Lahm and Lehmann which was the vital moment.

Also kudos to Aragones for removing Fabregas on time when the Germans swooped on the Spanish midfield and threatened by replacing Fab with a more reliable Alonso that Substitution was divine.

In tournaments like this, its efficiency that matters that is the German spirit thats is why They are the 3rd best team in the world and the 2nd best team in Europe.

Congrats to Spain, Still MANNSCHAFT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: European Nations Cup 2008 Discussion Thread by otokx(m): 11:32am On Jun 30, 2008
Spain deserved it
Re: European Nations Cup 2008 Discussion Thread by tocdee(m): 11:53am On Jun 30, 2008
[size=8pt]TORRRRRRESSSSSS !!!!!![/size]

To think he was bashed left, right and centre here makes his goal priceless. That should keep guys like Rikkyjen and co quiet for some time. Someone criticized him for being swallowed away from Anfield. Bollocks! He's scored at Stamford Bridge, Stade Velodrome and the San-Siro. The Kid's a genius. But I still believe that Spain's style doesn't suit him.
Re: European Nations Cup 2008 Discussion Thread by crazylegs(m): 12:53pm On Jun 30, 2008
dayokanu:

To the game proper. The best side won the tourney. In games like these little details determine the winner like the communication breakdown between Lahm and Lehmann which was the vital moment.
Congrats to Spain, Still MANNSCHAFT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Fairplay dude! Well said.

It was a great final. Finals often end up as cramped and tense affairs but the Spaniards were totally fluid. Torres also scored the most important goal of the tournament. Some kudos to him.

But Xavi is still my man of the tourney. Mr. Consistency. Senna is a close second.
Re: European Nations Cup 2008 Discussion Thread by folahann(m): 1:00pm On Jun 30, 2008
dayokanu:

Is it not funny that Arsenal fans became spanish fans by default hailing Fabregas who was the least influential member of the team.

In last nights game he had little influence. See the player ratings here http://www.goal.com/en/Articolo.aspx?ContenutoId=756588

If Arsenal fans who contributed just one subtitute player to Spain victory should be rejoicing what then should Barcelona- Xavi, Iniesta, Puyol. Madrid- Cassilas, Sergio Ramos. Valencia- Marchena, Silva, Villareal - Senna, Capdevilla and others.

How is fabregas different from Carzola, Guiza, and other substitute?.

Also kudos to Aragones for removing Fabregas on time when the Germans swooped on the Spanish midfield and threatened by replacing Fab with a more reliable Alonso that Substitution was divine.

I could imagine how your pains are aching you right now  grin

this post is part of what u could do to console yourself, wonderful self-cosolation

After everything, Spain won it and we are happy; you are sad tongue

Fabregas didn't do that much in the final but what about games that brought them to the final

As a subtitute player, made the final team of the tournament, that makes him different from other subtitutes
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/euro_2008/7481108.stm if you like to take a look
Congrats to Xavi for winning the player of the tournament

This is what i have been waiting to see

Re: European Nations Cup 2008 Discussion Thread by macty: 3:50pm On Jun 30, 2008
yes spain carries da trophy dey actually deserved it anyway cause they played better than Germany. i was quite disappointed with the Germans, i was expectin more from them, they ve won it like 5 times anyway so for spain carryin it is really somethin  i mean  44 years na long thin men,  cool
Re: European Nations Cup 2008 Discussion Thread by PDF: 5:05pm On Jun 30, 2008
dayokanu:

so funny! obviously u'r just trying to elicit reactions by ur blatantly fallacious and insagacious statement.

Can anyone else say Fabregas was not influential in Spain's overall victory of the tournament, not to talk of being the least influential? Ask Hiddink (twice), Donadoni, or is ur black n white TV equal in effect to a 32MB RAM PC?

http://sport.setanta.com/en/Sport/News/Football/2008/06/27/Euro-2008-Hiddink-reaction/#spanComments

hustler:

It has become obvious that most people only support teams that have their best club players in it.

Any prob with that? Whether u like it or not, pple supported and will still support their club players at various levels of international competitions. You define and decide on ur own how u want teams to be supported.
Re: European Nations Cup 2008 Discussion Thread by debosky(m): 5:13pm On Jun 30, 2008
least influential member of the team indeed, but somehow managed to get into the squad of the tournament, something Xabi did not do cheesy

@ 4Play

bear with us cheesy, 3 trophyless seasons is no joke, any remote link of success must be immediately celebrated in hopes of catapulting the club to success next season. Like y'all say, not many of the Arsenal squad know much about winning trophies, but now, we have another one who does cool

Whether he was least influential or not, he was at least better than Gomez, Klose and Kuranyi all put together. grin grin
Re: European Nations Cup 2008 Discussion Thread by PDF: 5:23pm On Jun 30, 2008
C.Ronaldo was very influential for Portugal,  abi? but couldnt make the 23 best players of the tourney. World's best indeed

Cesc was the least influential, but made it.

Is sth wrong with sb here?

I dare not doubt

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/euro_2008/7481108.stm
Re: European Nations Cup 2008 Discussion Thread by Hannibal: 5:28pm On Jun 30, 2008
Don't be so naive, PDF. . . . .

In a competition of this magnitude, players that played in the S/finals and the final will dominate the best 23 players.
Fabregas making the UEFA list was because his team got into the finals. . . .He is not necessarily better than Ronaldo.
Would Ronaldo have been left out if Portugal had made the Semis or the Final??
Please reason objectively.
Re: European Nations Cup 2008 Discussion Thread by A40(m): 5:39pm On Jun 30, 2008
@4play
You can drown in your jealousy for all we care tongue!!We know how jealous you and your Scummies are that Fabregas has won what C.Ronaldo and his Utd compadres might not win in their career aint that a bitch?

Ronaldo was shyte in this tournament there is no question about that, name one Utd player that was as good as Cesc?

Michael Ballack should change his name to Michael Badluck that dude is jinxed

Another funny stats!! two of Bundesliga's finest strikers Toni and Gomez fired blanks
Re: European Nations Cup 2008 Discussion Thread by PDF: 5:40pm On Jun 30, 2008
@ Hannibal

Naivity is what i think u exemplify. Did u bother to go thru the list of d best 23

Bosingwa, Pepe (both Portugal), Modric, Sneijder, Edwin van der Sar all made the list but didnt reach the semis nor the final.

Fabregas being a substitute for most parts of the tourney made it, the only substitute to make the 23.

Pls reason more objectively, k grin grin
Re: European Nations Cup 2008 Discussion Thread by A40(m): 5:47pm On Jun 30, 2008
@Jackal
So you are Hannibal now? how many weeks do we wager on this one? Dont you get tired of this mixing and matching of names

There's no need to hate on Cesc this guy did more coming from the bench than 90% of players that started he sent them to the Semis and made provided two goals what more do yall want from this boy? must he walk on water before yall acknowledge his goodness
Re: European Nations Cup 2008 Discussion Thread by debosky(m): 5:50pm On Jun 30, 2008
PDF:

@ Hannibal

Naivity is what i think u exemplify. Did u bother to go through the list of d best 23

Bosingwa, Pepe (both Portugal), Modric, Sneijder, Edwin van der Sar
all made the list but didnt reach the semis nor the final.

Astute observation PDF, that simply means that Ronaldo was not even the best PORTUGUESE player on display cheesy so much for best player in the world - dreaming of Real Madrid and the Madrilenos women cost him dearly cheesy
Re: European Nations Cup 2008 Discussion Thread by Hannibal: 6:12pm On Jun 30, 2008
PDF:

@ Hannibal

Naivity is what i think u exemplify. Did u bother to go through the list of d best 23

Bosingwa, Pepe (both Portugal), Modric, Sneijder, Edwin van der Sar all made the list but didnt reach the semis nor the final.

Fabregas being a substitute for most parts of the tourney made it, the only substitute to make the 23.

Please reason more objectively, k grin grin

Now u need to think more astutely. . . . .

Bosingwa and Pepe and Modric made the list because they were obviously better than all the defenders that made the finals. . .
C. Ronaldo for all his efforts with Portugal was marginally close to the wealth of midfielders that played in the Semis and the final.
It will be very hard to choose him ahead of many players like Ballack, Xavi, Iniesta and so many others. . . . .

Uefa technical director Andy Roxburgh said: “Of course he (Ronaldo) was mentioned - and if Portugal had gone further, there’s no argument he would have been in this group because he’s a fantastic player.
“He was in our Champions League all-star squad for the season, and the beginning of the tournament he threatened he was going to be in this one.
“But then it came abruptly to an end. When it comes to a squad of the tournament, those that go to semis and final dominate things like this.”

Mr Objective, i hope you are satisfied now.
When u learn to stop, look and listen. . . . .U would LEARN more. tongue
Pub gists won't get u anywhere.
Re: European Nations Cup 2008 Discussion Thread by hustler(m): 7:04pm On Jun 30, 2008
@ Topic

Seeing that Italy were the only ones that Spain couldn't beat in open play gladdens my hear that the defensive spirit which has been associated with Italy is back again. It took only the luck of penalties to stop the Azzuri and take Donadoni's job.

What with a great performance from d young Chiellini in central defence which he just started playing last season.

Anywayz, coming of a hectic season, i think Senna should be given the player of the tournament. Xavi didnt have the kind of season Senna had. Whoever follows the Spanish league here would agree with me. Senna was among my top 5 performers for the season just ended in the la liga.

For him to replicate dat form without showin any form of "Tiredness" unlike some Portuguese superstar players, me thinks he should be player of the tournament.

I used to think Aragones included him in the team in the past so as to prove to ppl he wasnt racist in the light of racist comments aimed at Henry, but i have been proven wrong. The talent was showcased for the world at large at the Euros.

My first team of the tournament is

Casillas, Ramos, Chiellini, Puyol, Zhirkov, Senna, Xavi, Sneijder, Arshavinnn, Villa, Guiza( belive me at guy would have been goleador if he had played all games, exceptional positioning skills)

Honorable mentions

Buffon
Schweini
SIlva
Ballack
Ugor Boral
Altintop
De Rossi
Van der Vaart
Re: European Nations Cup 2008 Discussion Thread by Hannibal: 7:09pm On Jun 30, 2008
What about DECO??
Re: European Nations Cup 2008 Discussion Thread by A40(m): 7:37pm On Jun 30, 2008
Deco! schmeco he killed Portugal with his over elaborations on the ball against Germany he doesnt deserve to be on that list
Re: European Nations Cup 2008 Discussion Thread by PDF: 9:00pm On Jun 30, 2008
Euro 2008 team of the tournament

Goalkeepers: Gianluigi Buffon (Italy), Iker Casillas (Spain), Edwin van der Sar (Netherlands).

Defenders: Bosingwa (Portugal), Philipp Lahm (Germany), Carlos Marchena (Spain), Pepe (Portugal), Carles Puyol (Spain), Yuri Zhirkov (Russia).

Midfielders: Hamit Altintop (Turkey), Luka Modric (Croatia), Marcos Senna (Spain), Xavi Hernández (Spain), Konstantin Zyryanov (Russia), Michael Ballack (Germany), Cesc Fàbregas (Spain), Andrés Iniesta (Spain), Lukas Podolski (Germany), Wesley Sneijder (Netherlands).

Forwards: Andrei Arshavin (Russia), Roman Pavlyuchenko (Russia), Fernando Torres (Spain), David Villa (Spain).

Hannibal:

Now u need to think more astutely. . . . .

Bosingwa and Pepe and Modric made the list because they were obviously better than all the defenders that made the finals. . .
C. Ronaldo for all his efforts with Portugal was marginally close to the wealth of midfielders that played in the Semis and the final.
It will be very hard to choose him ahead of many players like Ballack, Xavi, Iniesta and so many others. . . . .

Uefa technical director Andy Roxburgh said: “Of course he (Ronaldo) was mentioned - and if Portugal had gone further, there’s no argument he would have been in this group because he’s a fantastic player.
“He was in our Champions League all-star squad for the season, and the beginning of the tournament he threatened he was going to be in this one.
“But then it came abruptly to an end. When it comes to a squad of the tournament, those that go to semis and final dominate things like this.”

So Ronaldo couldn't have just been 'managed' in the list despite the inclusion of the likes of modric, Altintop, Zyryanov, Podolski, and the even a substitute Fabregas grin grin

The excuse the Uefa technical director gave for Ronaldo's exclusion could just have been used for the likes of Nistelrooy, Vander Vart, Ooijer, De Jong, etc. They were equally, if not more fantastic in the tournament than C.Ro
Re: European Nations Cup 2008 Discussion Thread by lailai2(m): 9:15pm On Jun 30, 2008
A-40:

Deco! schmeco he killed Portugal with his over elaborations on the ball against Germany he doesnt deserve to be on that list

A-40, deco was d only portugese player alive against germany

(1) (2) (3) ... (23) (24) (25) (26) (27) (Reply)

Emenike In ‘shock’ After Fenerbahce Bus Shooting - Vanguard / Chelsea Fan Loses His Job Over Racist Chant At Raheem Sterling / Eden Hazard Scores First Real Madrid Goal Since Chelsea Transfer (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.