Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,475 members, 7,812,467 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 01:52 PM

European Nations Cup 2008 Discussion Thread - Sports (24) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / European Nations Cup 2008 Discussion Thread (23680 Views)

African Under 17 Nations Cup: Golden Eaglets trashed Gabon, qualifies. / Your First Nations Cup / Multimedia Centre: Nations Cup 2006 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) (27) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: European Nations Cup 2008 Discussion Thread by folahann(m): 10:40pm On Jun 26, 2008
The russians were decent in the first half with a stubborn defence

the spanish midfield became very solid in the 2nd half,but the russians were still okay until they conceded the first goal

Torres had a nightmare today, he was so disappointing, adding salt to his salt was a player coming in for and scored a goal

Arshavin was completely lost in thet game, i didn't notice him at all; what a poor perfomance

A very good game for Spain, hope they could repeat that in the final

i can't do but mention fabregas, he had a really good game.   the better team won!
Re: European Nations Cup 2008 Discussion Thread by bgees(m): 10:46pm On Jun 26, 2008
Fabregas once again inspires spain to a convincing victory. In d semi finals of euro cup.
When was d last time spain playd in a final.
Its not only what he did but how he did it. Check out d pass he gave dani guiza to score.
These are d reasons why cesc deserves a mention.

And it will be very 'anti-football' if the germans rape their way to cup like they did against turkey.
Re: European Nations Cup 2008 Discussion Thread by PoDeep(m): 11:06pm On Jun 26, 2008
Ahhhhhhh!!! FABREGAS!!!
That's the only guy I could ever have sex with!! (and I ain't even gay, goddamit!)
MVP, muthafcukaz! Dis one no be Ronaldo o! Na Cesc! Na Arsenal! Na 4 lyf!
P£@c£.

Its such a pity I just happen to be a Germany luva.
Anyhow sha.
One.
Re: European Nations Cup 2008 Discussion Thread by tosinadeda: 11:09pm On Jun 26, 2008
cesc and iniesta were simply superb, russia really dissapointed me!!!!!!!
Re: European Nations Cup 2008 Discussion Thread by Razorr(f): 11:12pm On Jun 26, 2008
Po Deep:

Ahhhhhhh!!! FABREGAS!!!
That's the only guy I could ever have sex with!! (and I ain't even gay, goddamit!)

What a contradiction! Admit it, you're a bloody gay!!

No guy says sh'it like that without meaning to it. You're a bloody homosexual! Ewwwwwwwwwww

I can't stand guys like you. grin cheesy Stay away from me! grin
Re: European Nations Cup 2008 Discussion Thread by DrKitaun(m): 12:37am On Jun 27, 2008
CAN WE JUST AGREE ALREADY THAT TORRES IS NOT AS GOOD AS SOME PEOPLE MAKE HIM OUT TO BE ? tongue

what were the Russians doing giving too much respect to the Spaniards ? shocked

on to Germany vs Spain ! cool

am happy for Cesc . .IMO he has proved why he is CESC THE INDOMITABLE ! no be indomie I call am o grin grin

but yet I give this to Germany and I can bet with anything again that Schweini will score again and people like Rikkyjen can keep quiet !

whats with all these hey-u players yabis ?

how can anyone in his right sense of mind castigate Lehmann based on his howlers ?

which of em goaltenders havent had their bad experiences ?

CALAMITY JAMES ?

ROBINSON GOOFER ?

SEAMAN PONYTAIL ?

REINA OLD MAN ?

VAN DER SAR aka Nakamura grin grin

abeg leave those things

its the same Lehmann that set UECL alight with his goalkeeping exploits not so many seasons ago cool

not to talk of having LAHM, SCHWEINI, BALLACK, PODOLSKI, METESACKER, KLOSE in the same team and u call them sankwa players ? nonsense ! angry
Re: European Nations Cup 2008 Discussion Thread by lailai2(m): 12:42am On Jun 27, 2008
arshavin let peeps down but i beliv he's still good, everyone knows football is passed d stage of one man vs a tem though he even messed up when he had d ball at his feet

the way spain esp barca churn out this creative midfielders is alarming, they should borrow some to other country, naija needs one
if u watch la liga well, u'll see more, barca have like 3 comin up once more again
Re: European Nations Cup 2008 Discussion Thread by folahann(m): 12:53am On Jun 27, 2008
i tell you,the German team has someone holding them up

that is Ballack

take Ballack out of Germany, it will be like breaking the back bone of a man

prays he getts injured at the beginning of the match
Re: European Nations Cup 2008 Discussion Thread by lailai2(m): 12:59am On Jun 27, 2008
torres is good, kitaun

lehman is good but not great along with d others u mentioned

@folahann
ballack didnt play well against turkey but they still one
Re: European Nations Cup 2008 Discussion Thread by DrKitaun(m): 1:16am On Jun 27, 2008
YES TORRES IS THE BEST STRIKER AT THE EURO tongue grin
Re: European Nations Cup 2008 Discussion Thread by folahann(m): 1:18am On Jun 27, 2008
lai-lai:

@folahann
ballack didnt play well against turkey but they still one

he doesn't mean if you play well or not, your physical presence says a lot

anyway anyhow Espagne for the trophy
Re: European Nations Cup 2008 Discussion Thread by lailai2(m): 1:27am On Jun 27, 2008
if u say so
i'm rootin for spain also
Re: European Nations Cup 2008 Discussion Thread by dayokanu(m): 7:01am On Jun 27, 2008
I am glad Spain won and we are all waiting to see the final.

Germany is all about Ballack? Well how else do you know an EPL fan if not for those comments? In this tournament Lahm, Schweinsteiger have played better

than Ballack yet Germany is about Ballack.

When Germany came to Wembley to beat your darling England I guess It was due to Ballack's influence too who was in the hospital.

Now to the Final. One that I have been praying for Spain vs Germany. I have one plea to Aragones; He should pls drop one of Xavi or Senna and start Fabregas. Why?

SO that the Germans can win easily. I am already Bothered about how Hitzlsperger and Frings are going to cope with Xavi and Senna but I beleive with

Fabregas on the field, my problem is half solved.

Podolski has 3 goals and 2 assist, Schweinsteiger has 2 goals and 3 assist, Klose has 2 goals and 2 assist, Lahm has one goal and one assist,

Balack has 2 goals and no assist yet Germany is all about Ballack.
Re: European Nations Cup 2008 Discussion Thread by crazylegs(m): 9:30am On Jun 27, 2008
Spain was brilliant yesterday. Fabregas was the deciding factor. The revelation for me was that Fabregas and Xavi can play in the same team without conflicts.

Villa's injury was a blessing in disguise. Spain is finally going to play 4-5-1: Xavi, Iniesta, Fabregas, Silva and Senna all backing Torres up. Mouthwatering. The Germans are going to be absolutely buried in midfield. They won't know what hit them. There can be only one winner and its Spain. No doubt.

Torres has a last chance at salvation. The bobo has been a bit disappointing oh.
Re: European Nations Cup 2008 Discussion Thread by bgees(m): 9:59am On Jun 27, 2008
Torres did'nt score yesterday,but he was decisive.only technical minds can see that. Xavi's goal was created and made easy because of torres's movement. The russian defenders were busy running after torres and that made xavi's goal easy. I know a striker's job is to score,but torres has been a very good team player. And he will be rewarded by a breathtaking performance at d finals. As a matter of fact he had just 3 chances on goal,he would have scored d fourth one.

And i'm tired of people saying torres is'nt all that good. 3 goals in 6 matches against d big four of d epl and 32 goals ina all. OR IS ADEBAYOR AS GOOD AS TORRES?
Re: European Nations Cup 2008 Discussion Thread by crazylegs(m): 10:08am On Jun 27, 2008
Agreed. Torres is a good team player, but then so is Dirk Kuyt.

Torres is playing OK but he's not living up to the hype and the expectations people have of him. He was supposed to be the star man but has only scored one goal. Much more was expected of him. He should score more goals instead of distracting defenders.

But I think he'll have a better chance against Germany. He's a stronger and more physical player than the other Spaniards and they'll need his muscle.
Re: European Nations Cup 2008 Discussion Thread by hustler(m): 11:06am On Jun 27, 2008
I dont think Torres really has anything to probve to anyone. The fact that he hasnt scored doesnt make Pavyuchenko or Klasnic a better striker than him. But defenders have guarded him closely unlike in the shitty EPL.

Like Bgees said his movement created space for Xavi's goal. Plain to see by technical minds.

Fabregas' assist for the second goal was sublime but credit for the 3rd goal shld go to Iniesta's out of this world pass to locate Cesc's run.

As soon as i saw Guiza and ALonso i knew the game was wrapped up for the Russians. Midfield was closed and counter attacks were to the full effect. Aragones is really a good tactician. Dat Guiza can run and get himself in good scoring positions. If only Galliani could divert attention to him instead of dat old one season wonder AdebaYUK.

Credit to Grey GUUS and his TROOPs.

Those calling for Cesc to start shld know dat he cant stand a chance against a fit Frings if he really is 100%. But if paired with Xavi, there could be problems for the germans as they may not be able to cope.

These Arsenal fans and Fabregas sef angry
The spaniards will dominate possession of course in dat game but Germany can create 3 chances and score 2.

Mertesacker and Metzelder tho are having a dreadful campaign as partners.
Will they get it right in the final game??
Re: European Nations Cup 2008 Discussion Thread by PoDeep(m): 11:20am On Jun 27, 2008
@razorr, lol. Don't mind me, I'm a crazy muthaf, a! I'm just so proud of dat guy but back 2 d matta at hand,,
Germany isn't going to take dat sh.t of last nyt frm Spain, dat midfield will be jampacked and overcrowded.
I predict a goaless draw leading to penalties or a single dieing minute goal from Podolski.

One.
Re: European Nations Cup 2008 Discussion Thread by crazylegs(m): 11:26am On Jun 27, 2008
@hustler
Torres has a lot to prove. When he is well-marked (Spain-Italy por ejemplo) he doesn't quite make the cut.

At Atletico he was widely known to be a great player but Spanish defences had his number. Like you implicitly said, the EPL was taken by surprise. Torres is going to have a much more difficult 2nd season.

Don't get me wrong. I think Torres is a great player and I rate him highly but he has had an indifferent tournament. A world-class striker whose main talking point  is the distraction of defenders has not fulfilled his role. Thats a role for Dirk Kuyt and his likes not the great Fernando Torres.

Torres has to score goals against European defences that mark him tightly otherwise he'll just be a good team player. He can and should be a lot more.
Re: European Nations Cup 2008 Discussion Thread by otokx(m): 11:49am On Jun 27, 2008
Spain should not get carried away just yet; there is the efficiency of the german machine.
Re: European Nations Cup 2008 Discussion Thread by tocdee(m): 1:40pm On Jun 27, 2008
A BIT ON TORRES

I can't believe the amount of stick torres is getting on this thread. While I'm a

bit disappointed by his performance in the Euros, I know his game too well to know

that he is one of the best strikers (If not the best)  in the world. I mean its like

saying P.Cech is crap for his howlers against Turkey or Van D Saar is overrated for

letting in 3 goals agains Russia! No! we know these guys are excellent players with

their clubs. Its almost like people enjoy seeing players fail.

YOU CAN'T JUDGE A PLAYER BY 4 APPEARANCES!!! Torres is obviously not suited (YET)

for the Spanish slow, patient system. He's accustomed to the fast, direct football

of Liverpool with Gerrard and Alonso finding him with long, searching passes and

then using his pace to run behind defenders to finish. That's how he scored 33

goals in 48 appearances for Liverpool. He even admitted that Gerrard brings out the

best in him.

I have also heard people saying here that he doesn't perform in big games. Utter

Bollocks!
THE ONLY PREMIERSHIP CLUB HE HASN'T SCORED AGAINST IS MANCHESTER UNITED(How many

have?)AND ALL IN HIS 1ST SEASON!!! which matches were bigger than Uefa CL 2nd

Round, quarters and Semi's where he scored against Inter, Arsenal and Chelsea

respectively?

FUTURE

The chap just turned 24 and he has broken many Liverpool records (not easy with the likes of Dalglish, Ian Rush, Owen and Fowler) and a

Premier league record(Highest debutant goal scorer in Pl history). He's yet to peak

and with 52 CAPS for Spain at that age, surely his coach knows something we don't.

So please show me  a better stiker for this past season and i'll rest my case.

Just a thought.
wink
Re: European Nations Cup 2008 Discussion Thread by dayokanu(m): 3:02pm On Jun 27, 2008
Torres is a good striker but his strike rate in the premiership is a bit flattering for his talent. A player who averaged 13 goals per season now had about 25 in his debut season .

When asked he has this to say: Premiership defender are below standard says Torres. See Link

Spanish super-striker Fernando Torres has risked becoming public enemy number one amongst opponents next season by publicly ridiculing the ability of Premiership keepers and defenders. He also raised eyebrows by suggesting that Chelsea stars Petr Cech and Ricardo Carvalho are two of the only people in England's top division who really know how to keep the ball out of the net.

http://goal.com/en/Articolo.aspx?ContenutoId=723987
Re: European Nations Cup 2008 Discussion Thread by folahann(m): 3:33pm On Jun 27, 2008
dayokanu:

Torres is a good striker but his strike rate in the premiership is a bit flattering for his talent. A player who averaged 13 goals per season now had about 25 in his debut season .

When asked he has this to say: Premiership defender are below standard says Torres. See Link

Spanish super-striker Fernando Torres has risked becoming public enemy number one amongst opponents next season by publicly ridiculing the ability of Premiership keepers and defenders. He also raised eyebrows by suggesting that Chelsea stars Petr Cech and Ricardo Carvalho are two of the only people in England's top division who really know how to keep the ball out of the net.

yeah! that is very true, let's see the dude's second season

i'm sure Tevez, Morientis,Crespo and Sheva have a different story to tell

Bundesliga defence is the best in world init
Re: European Nations Cup 2008 Discussion Thread by tocdee(m): 4:09pm On Jun 27, 2008
folahann:

yeah! that is very true, let's see the dude's second season

i'm sure Tevez, Morientis,Crespo and Sheva have a different story to tell

Bundesliga defence is the best in world init

He'll have an even better season nxt season. C. Ronaldo improved phenominally didnt he?
Re: European Nations Cup 2008 Discussion Thread by doyin13(m): 4:10pm On Jun 27, 2008
I say last nite's match was further evidence, a midfielder attacking
from deep poses a lot more problems than dedicated strikers functioning
largely in the attacking third.

Villa's exit and Fab's introduction galvanised the team. Xavi, Iniesta and
Silva were liberated.
Re: European Nations Cup 2008 Discussion Thread by rikkyjen(m): 5:01pm On Jun 27, 2008
dayokanu:

[b]Spanish super-striker Fernando Torres has risked becoming public enemy number one amongst opponents next season by publicly ridiculing the ability of Premiership keepers and defenders. He also raised eyebrows by suggesting that Chelsea stars Petr Cech and Ricardo Carvalho are two of the only people in England's top division who really know how to keep the ball out of the net.
[/b]

Torres is retarded for saying shyte. Is that the reason he mostly failed to score outside Anfield? A player who cant score outside the confines and comfort of his home is now yarning opaks. Though his strike rate is pretty impressive, however he develops cold feets in stadiums where you can't hear the "You will never walk alone" chants. undecided undecided undecided undecided. I still love the way Vidic & Rio kicked and shoved him all day @ OT. grin grin. It later became Rafa to the rescue
Re: European Nations Cup 2008 Discussion Thread by A40(m): 8:29pm On Jun 27, 2008
Permit me to say Cesc 10 times Cesc Cesc Cesc Cesc Cesc Cesc Cesc Cesc Cesc Cesc that boy is Spain's meal ticket their ace their Jackpot that boy is simply anointed i am backing Spain all the way if not for anything else but for Fabregas scratch that i meant Fabreclass
Re: European Nations Cup 2008 Discussion Thread by A40(m): 8:34pm On Jun 27, 2008
@dayokanu
Cesc will compound your problems because all it takes is one defence splitting quarterback like pass to tear that shaky defence to shreds
Re: European Nations Cup 2008 Discussion Thread by debosky(m): 9:08pm On Jun 27, 2008
Is it the same Petr Cech that dropped the ball for Turkey to score, the same one who was sleeping when Gallas stole in to head against him at the Emirates? Or is it the same Carvalho that was bamboozled by Klose to score? grin grin

When VIda and Rio made him cry at OT, I wonder what he said then. tongue
Re: European Nations Cup 2008 Discussion Thread by dyabman(m): 1:42pm On Jun 28, 2008
Holland have learnt their lessons now, ibere ko se ti onise , i still feel sad till today. embarassed embarassed embarassed
Re: European Nations Cup 2008 Discussion Thread by javaprince(m): 2:15pm On Jun 28, 2008
dyabman:

Holland have learnt their lessons now, ibere ko se ti onise , i still feel sad till today. embarassed embarassed embarassed

True Talk, "Not who starts well that matters, but He who Finishes Well"

In SPAIN's CASE WE STARTED WELL and We are FINISHING WELL TOO.
Re: European Nations Cup 2008 Discussion Thread by Hugoboi(m): 3:38pm On Jun 28, 2008
Sumone tell Torres to shut his mouth and stop talkin fu'gazy.He should concentrate on seeing his team and improvin on his game cos he's had a real shyte tournament!!!

(1) (2) (3) ... (21) (22) (23) (24) (25) (26) (27) (Reply)

Chelsea Fan Loses His Job Over Racist Chant At Raheem Sterling / Eden Hazard Scores First Real Madrid Goal Since Chelsea Transfer (Photos) / Arsenal Signs Thomas Partey From Atletico Madrid

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.