Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,833 members, 7,810,205 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:41 PM

Obaobona Slams Wenger Over Invitation For Trial - Sports (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Obaobona Slams Wenger Over Invitation For Trial (33116 Views)

Jose Mourinho Takes A Jab At Arsene Wenger Over Arsenal’s Transfer Spending... / Mourinho Agrees With Wenger Over FIFA Ballon D'or / Oboabona Denies Receiving Arsenal Invitation For A Trial (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Obaobona Slams Wenger Over Invitation For Trial by danyegbule: 1:34pm On Jul 28, 2013
I am in support of what this lad did. sometimes if not always, we have to show these people (whitemen) that the days of slavery and discrimination is over and they should get used to it. if you are not in support of what he did today maybe in the future you will be glad he did what he did. if Arsenal want him, they should hire him and give him a contract if not they should forget him, is not easy though to resist a club like arsenal, but am proud of the lad. somebody has to stand up to these people and tell them to their faces that we can't be treated as brainless folks.

1 Like

Re: Obaobona Slams Wenger Over Invitation For Trial by DrTee1(m): 1:34pm On Jul 28, 2013
I have read with disgust all the shameless negative comments against Godfrey that has been posted here.

The truth is that our people are so hungry, barely insightful despite university education and have lost their overall sense of self-worth.

How many Egyptians and Tunisians go for trials in the so-called England? Godfrey played so well for Sunshine that he is not only their captain but led them to the CAF Confederations Cup and CAF Champions League reaching the Semi Final in both respectively for two consecutive seasons. If Wenger can't watch those tapes in addition to those which Supersports can gladly provide him of the Nigerian league (which most people here barely watch on DSTV anyway, all they do is complain & lament ignorantly!), he needs to see an opthamologist.

I was skeptical when Keshi took him to the Nations Cup but he shone brightly there and maintained so in the Confederations Cup. Remember that Godfrey is indeed a utility player - he began as an attacker in osfodec (Ondo state academy) and can really play all roles possibly except goalkeeping! For the Super Eagles, he has played as both Central Defender and Right Back (Nig vs Liberia).

Godfrey is also good with free kicks. He scored Nigeria's equaliser in a recent away match. Mikel prevented him from showing his free kick abilities in the Confed Cup. Doubt me if you want, I guess you would also have doubted if any Kenyan could play that stunner that sank into Enyeama's net when the Harambee Stars came visiting a few months ago. Mind you, it was that player's seventh cap for Kenya!

Finally, for chronique and others who think they know it all and are spewing all forms of heresies here, let me leave you with this:

George 'Finito' Finidi moved from CALABAR ROVERS to Ajax which was the best team in the world, like Barcelona is today. Ajax won the Champions League with George as the Right Winger in 1995 and lost the 1996 Final. Kanu was also in that team. Kanu moved from Iwanyanwu Nationale. Let the haters make noise...

I'm sure Godfrey knows what he is doing! Shamless people! A certain English club LOANED an Egyptian international player from the Egyptian league recently - a league these people would claim is far below the English PL - the guy excelled so brilliantly in England yet he refused to stay in England at the lend of his loan deal. He knew his worth. Deal with that!

4 Likes

Re: Obaobona Slams Wenger Over Invitation For Trial by jude33084(m): 1:51pm On Jul 28, 2013
THIS GUY IS MATURED I TELL YOU cool
Re: Obaobona Slams Wenger Over Invitation For Trial by Nobody: 2:41pm On Jul 28, 2013
Dr. Tee:
I have read with disgust all the shameless negative comments against Godfrey that has been posted here.

The truth is that our people are so hungry, barely insightful despite university education and have lost their overall sense of self-worth.

How many Egyptians and Tunisians go for trials in the so-called England? Godfrey played so well for Sunshine that he is not only their captain but led them to the CAF Confederations Cup and CAF Champions League reaching the Semi Final in both respectively for two consecutive seasons. If Wenger can't watch those tapes in addition to those which Supersports can gladly provide him of the Nigerian league (which most people here barely watch on DSTV anyway, all they do is complain & lament ignorantly!), he needs to see an opthamologist.

I was skeptical when Keshi took him to the Nations Cup but he shone brightly there and maintained so in the Confederations Cup. Remember that Godfrey is indeed a utility player - he began as an attacker in osfodec (Ondo state academy) and can really play all roles possibly except goalkeeping! For the Super Eagles, he has played as both Central Defender and Right Back (Nig vs Liberia).

Godfrey is also good with free kicks. He scored Nigeria's equaliser in a recent away match. Mikel prevented him from showing his free kick abilities in the Confed Cup. Doubt me if you want, I guess you would also have doubted if any Kenyan could play that stunner that sank into Enyeama's net when the Harambee Stars came visiting a few months ago. Mind you, it was that player's seventh cap for Kenya!

Finally, for chronique and others who think they know it all and are spewing all forms of heresies here, let me leave you with this:

George 'Finito' Finidi moved from CALABAR ROVERS to Ajax which was the best team in the world, like Barcelona is today. Ajax won the Champions League with George as the Right Winger in 1995 and lost the 1996 Final. Kanu was also in that team. Kanu moved from Iwanyanwu Nationale. Let the haters make noise...

I'm sure Godfrey knows what he is doing! Shamless people! A certain English club LOANED an Egyptian international player from the Egyptian league recently - a league these people would claim is far below the English PL - the guy excelled so brilliantly in England yet he refused to stay in England at the lend of his loan deal. He knew his worth. Deal with that!

you are so very much on point in your accessment.the negativist seem to forget that Nigerian footballers could walk into any team and command regular starting shirts and when a player decides enough is enough,they start calling hima looser.the stance has to start from somewhere.if it was some unknown player,i understand but someone who actually has played in CAF champions league 2 seasons straight and wenger is claiming ignorance......well,that says it all
Re: Obaobona Slams Wenger Over Invitation For Trial by sambos994(m): 3:34pm On Jul 28, 2013
afrokid: I've been reading comments people have been posting here on this issue and some are just laughable and appalling. For the fact that Godfrey Obaobona won the nations cup and played at the Confederation's Cup is not an automatic ticket for him to play for a top club in Europe.
You need to ask yourself what league does he play in and which of the teams is he in. The NPL or NPFL as it called presently has been rocked with challenges such as sponsorship, financial crisis, age cheating, match fixing scandals, etc. Now, do you expect a club like Arsenal, Chelsea, Manchester United, Barcelona or Real Madrid to just look at 1 player from such a league of so much uncertainty and sign him automatically? Your guess is as good as mine. Recently, there were lower league matches that were played and a team won 67-0, a laughable result. This season alone, Nigeria, African Champions, couldn't produce a club to represent her in the CAF Champions League and Confederations Cup.
Godfrey mentions Neymar without knowing that the club he (Neymar) came from went as far as playing at the world club championship and this makes you wonder the basis of his argument when his own club hasn't won a domestic title. If players such as C. Ronaldo and Zlatan Ibrahimovic (who turned down his own) who came from better leagues could be offered trials I see no reason why he should make a big fuss out of it. If he's good enough trying to mark out players he contends with, why wouldn't Arsenal sign him?
My advice: Godfrey, swallow your pride and go for it or stay at Akure with Sunshine Stars

Which top club?
Re: Obaobona Slams Wenger Over Invitation For Trial by sambos994(m): 3:36pm On Jul 28, 2013
Dr. Tee:

Thank you, someone who understands.
Re: Obaobona Slams Wenger Over Invitation For Trial by Nobody: 3:49pm On Jul 28, 2013
honeric01:

Pls tell us how many national team games 50% of the current Arsenal players played before they were bought by Arsenal! Infact 70% of the current squad were unknown players when they were signed by Arsenal.

Lastly, why didn't Arsene call sanogo for trials before signing him?
As a manager of the club he knows the best. probably, he already knows sanogo can adapt to the team but oboabana is just a local champion. Sanogo competed in an international competition this summer and he emerged as one of the top scorers.
Re: Obaobona Slams Wenger Over Invitation For Trial by jango99(m): 3:52pm On Jul 28, 2013
toprealman: This guy is a big headed fool! Intelligent students are tested and some who excel remarkably well get double promotion.
Rather than let his ego hinder his progress, why didn't he go and show arsenal what he can do and afterwards say no to the offer for being insulted as a result of being invited for trials.
Ibrahimovic did that...yes but then scouts are no fools. They see what most people don't see. he should go and find out what happened to Ndidi Anumunu, one of our finest local player who played for iwuanyanwu int'l.
Hope you don't regret your action son.
I think d fool is you. D only players that do trials are unestablished or 'spent' players. Zlatan was a teenager when he went for that trial and u compare that situation with that of an international. It is pple like u who don't know their worth that make dis country messed up.
Re: Obaobona Slams Wenger Over Invitation For Trial by jdilight(m): 4:05pm On Jul 28, 2013
if u know your value, you don't go for trials. The guy knows his what. kudos
Re: Obaobona Slams Wenger Over Invitation For Trial by sambos994(m): 4:06pm On Jul 28, 2013
Chukskalidon:
As a manager of the club he knows the best. probably, he already knows sanogo can adapt to the team but oboabana is just a local champion. Sanogo competed in an international competition this summer and he emerged as one of the top scorers.

Why are comparing a defender to a striker? Are you OK in the head?
Re: Obaobona Slams Wenger Over Invitation For Trial by tallceejay(m): 4:11pm On Jul 28, 2013
Iyfe Namikaze: Super Eagles inform defender, Godfrey Obabona has expressed anger against the management and technical staff of Premiership entertaining team, Arsenal for inviting him for trial before offering
him a deal, frowning that such decision more of less discredits him and the country at large.

Speaking to Daily Sunsports at the Super Eagles camp in Abuja, the Sunshine Stars FC of Akure defender argued that he could not see the rationale, why Barcelona should sign midfield attacking sensation, Nermay da Silva Santos, who was playing in the Brazilian league without trial and Arsenal could not do the same to him, describing his invitation for trial as an embarrassment.

Asked what happened to his Arsenal deal the Super Eagles defender angrily thundered: “I don’t think anything happened because it is high time some of these clubs started respecting this country. Nigeria is a very big football playing country. “I continue to wonder why Barcelona should sign Nermay for £50 million from a Brazilian club even before Brazil won the Confederations Cup, only for Arsenal management to tell me, who participated in the team that won the Africa Cup of Nations to come for trial.

www.sunnewsonline.com/new/sports/obaobona-slams-wenger/

Who wud turn down an arsenal trial invite ?? U be neymar ? U wan die for sunshine stars of ilesha abi na ile-ife....Abeg na wash joor! wink
Re: Obaobona Slams Wenger Over Invitation For Trial by sambos994(m): 4:16pm On Jul 28, 2013
tallceejay:

Who wud turn down an arsenal trial invite ?? U be neymar ? U wan die for sunshine stars of ilesha abi na ile-ife....Abeg na wash joor! wink

People who want to win trophies.
Re: Obaobona Slams Wenger Over Invitation For Trial by KayDee4: 4:31pm On Jul 28, 2013
The club has the right to assess a player before investing.
The player has the right to refuse to be assessed (but he can't force the club to sign him without a trial).
It then comes down to a case of who wants the other party more.
If @ Arsenal, they need him that badly, they will go all out to get him even if he doesn't want a trial (this is obviously not the case).
Apparently, Obaobona has a better option elsewhere and can afford to shun Arsenal or he is happy to remain at Sunshine stars.

Whatever the case, good luck to Obaobona.
Re: Obaobona Slams Wenger Over Invitation For Trial by honeric01(m): 5:04pm On Jul 28, 2013
Chukskalidon:

And the other small boys nko? how many goals did Djorou score before being signed by Arsene?
One last time. trials are meant for youngsters to come test their prowess, not for already established name.

Oboabona is an established name whether you like it or not, a captain of his club and a starting 11 in the national team like Nigeria going for trial? THE GUY KNOWS HIS WORTH!
Re: Obaobona Slams Wenger Over Invitation For Trial by babyboy3(m): 5:15pm On Jul 28, 2013

Re: Obaobona Slams Wenger Over Invitation For Trial by babyboy3(m): 5:18pm On Jul 28, 2013
What a fool, the worst that would happen would be Arsenal not signing him but he would enjoy the experience and someone else could easily pick him up
Re: Obaobona Slams Wenger Over Invitation For Trial by honeric01(m): 5:48pm On Jul 28, 2013
baby-boy:
What a fool, the worst that would happen would be Arsenal not signing him but he would enjoy the experience and someone else could easily pick him up

What is the meaning of that article you posted?

Oboabona is 22, Traore is 17, he's a youngster and an unknown name WITH NO CLUB AT ALL unlike Oboabona who's a captain of his club and already in the national team.

Reason before replying me.
Re: Obaobona Slams Wenger Over Invitation For Trial by babyboy3(m): 6:00pm On Jul 28, 2013
honeric01:

What is the meaning of that article you posted?

Oboabona is 22, Traore is 17, he's a youngster and an unknown name WITH NO CLUB AT ALL unlike Oboabona who's a captain of his club and already in the national team.

Reason before replying me.

And what club would that be? Barcelona or AC Milan

The Premiership has eaten up so many defenders alive, if am correct Ben Iroha was a Nigerian International but flopped, Issac Okoronkwo flopped, Ifeanyi Udeze flopped when they all showed up in the Premier League. All am saying is that whats the worst that would happen?

Managers dont buy players based on International Tournaments, so many clubs have got burnt by doing so. Manchester United bought Klebberson after Brazil won the 2002 WC and was a total flop, Leeds with Roque Junior, Arsenal with Arshavin!
Re: Obaobona Slams Wenger Over Invitation For Trial by honeric01(m): 6:02pm On Jul 28, 2013
baby-boy:

And what club would that be? Barcelona or AC Milan
Re: Obaobona Slams Wenger Over Invitation For Trial by Kgdavid(m): 6:02pm On Jul 28, 2013
Dr. Tee:

its not the best to analyse things out of emotion. you are wrong on quite a few levels.

1. the egyptian league is miles above the nigerian league my broda! the money you could earn in a top egyptian club is comparable to what you would earn as a non european in a smaller english club. that was why junior agogo could leave england and go to play in egypt. and im sure the mysterious egyptian player you are referring to is amir Zaki? Zaki made a big name for himself when he played in egypt, but do you know that just last year he was invited for trials with blackpool? and he accepted. so why should someone who is just making his way up reject a trial with ARSENAL? or is it el hamady or something like that, one full back like that, yu r talkin about? lol if he "knew his worth' then why did he go on loan in the first place? such moves have nothing to do with knowing your worth thats utter nonsense. im sorry!
2. which egyptian or tunisian has played for arsenal? or chelsea? or Man Utd? or Liverpool for that matter? we are not talking about derby county here we are talking about arsenal who expect to sign world class players.
3. you yourself said that after watching him in the action for his club you still doubted him when Keshi called him up. so if you could doubt his quality for the super eagles how much more should arsenal want to see him in action on their own terms?
4. don't you think that the gulf in class of NPL and EPL is huge? i have watched NPL games my guy so don't throw that line up. playing well at that level is not enough proof that you can play well at EPL level! you were invited for a trial, all you have to do is go, prove yourself and sign your contract. what is the problem with that? even in other career fields, you might be asked to prove yourself in a trial at a job interview... its perfectly normal. who knows if all they want to see is if he can play "arsenal football"?

3 Likes

Re: Obaobona Slams Wenger Over Invitation For Trial by tonydoes: 6:32pm On Jul 28, 2013
this is an argument that can be debated correctly for or against (That is if the story is true)...but in my honest opinion Oboabona should have gone for the trials.. As good a player as he is, and lets not forget there's actually a reason why a club of Arsenals status want to see him in action, that's because his performances for Nigeria has caught their eye...but here's why he should have gone

1, unless he wants to lie to himself, he is far from being a finished article on the world stage yet and needs at this stage of his career to Grab opportunities not turn them down..Humility is still needed at this very important stage. He should remember that other players in the league probably even BETTER THAN HIM BUT less fortunate will give their right leg to be in his shoes.

2,in 2010/2011 the Epl designed a clause to cap the number of foreigners talents in the League. it is called the the 80-20 rule or something like that. it states that no Prem.Team can have more than 17 non-home grown players in their team.it was designed to allow development of their own British talent. So my guess is Inorder not to go into a contract situation prematurely, Arsenal wanted to make sure of what they were acquiring first.

3,at every job in this life you will need to go into some kind of assessment before you are employed. Unless you were poached from a Reputable employer boasting of some serious accomplishments in your CV, anything other than that is considered high risk.

4,The Epl is a HUGE step up in quality from the CAN. it involves a lot more than marking TOP names in the game (Which Godfrey is Good at mind you). it also involves Discipline, Psycology and others plus if you must sign for any EPL club you must have notched up at least 70% national team appearances. (i don't think Godfrey has reached that yet)

5,i am 100% SURE Oboabona would have passed that trial in flying colours, which is why i feel it was a shame he didnt go. if he had passed they would definitely come back for him after his National team appearances would have gotten to 70% where he would then be liable to get a work permit
Re: Obaobona Slams Wenger Over Invitation For Trial by SNOWWHITE240(m): 8:04pm On Jul 28, 2013
keshi dey market una u dey shakara go prove ur self if u thick say u good
Re: Obaobona Slams Wenger Over Invitation For Trial by SNOWWHITE240(m): 8:13pm On Jul 28, 2013
1 of d best coaches gave u opportunity u turned it down i pity u
Re: Obaobona Slams Wenger Over Invitation For Trial by bakkielibra001: 10:56pm On Jul 28, 2013
Adufaye: bros dis is nt mata of coward or long throat! If I dy e shoe born dat tin,I go don go tey tey! Arsenal no b small club!

Wht Arsenal wanted 2 do is 2 play him along wit his age group/mate 2 see if he is lyin abt his age or can stand d pace wit his mate! No playa is bigger dan trials
this is not good for the guy.the guy need to be respected by arsernal management,if it's true.why would arsernal make him suffer before putting his hand in paper.They need to get his club manager and get him a deal shikena.
Re: Obaobona Slams Wenger Over Invitation For Trial by 617aircav: 5:53am On Jul 29, 2013
It's his choice to refuse, and arsenals choice to ask for a trial. Nothing wrong with either. How many clubs want him, he should go to a club that wont require a trial.
Re: Obaobona Slams Wenger Over Invitation For Trial by Adufaye(m): 6:55am On Jul 29, 2013
Kgdavid:

its not the best to analyse things out of emotion. you are wrong on quite a few levels.

1. the egyptian league is miles above the nigerian league my broda! the money you could earn in a top egyptian club is comparable to what you would earn as a non european in a smaller english club. that was why junior agogo could leave england and go to play in egypt. and im sure the mysterious egyptian player you are referring to is amir Zaki? Zaki made a big name for himself when he played in egypt, but do you know that just last year he was invited for trials with blackpool? and he accepted. so why should someone who is just making his way up reject a trial with ARSENAL? or is it el hamady or something like that, one full back like that, yu r talkin about? lol if he "knew his worth' then why did he go on loan in the first place? such moves have nothing to do with knowing your worth thats utter nonsense. im sorry!
2. which egyptian or tunisian has played for arsenal? or chelsea? or Man Utd? or Liverpool for that matter? we are not talking about derby county here we are talking about arsenal who expect to sign world class players.
3. you yourself said that after watching him in the action for his club you still doubted him when Keshi called him up. so if you could doubt his quality for the super eagles how much more should arsenal want to see him in action on their own terms?
4. don't you think that the gulf in class of NPL and EPL is huge? i have watched NPL games my guy so don't throw that line up. playing well at that level is not enough proof that you can play well at EPL level! you were invited for a trial, all you have to do is go, prove yourself and sign your contract. what is the problem with that? even in other career fields, you might be asked to prove yourself in a trial at a job interview... its perfectly normal. who knows if all they want to see is if he can play "arsenal football"?

ma gee u don talk am finish
Re: Obaobona Slams Wenger Over Invitation For Trial by Adufaye(m): 7:06am On Jul 29, 2013
bakkielibra001: this is not good for the guy.the guy need to be respected by arsernal management,if it's true.why would arsernal make him suffer before putting his hand in paper.They need to get his club manager and get him a deal shikena.
its not as easy as u tink,Arsenal is a big club,nd wouldn't like 2 sign a flop! Oboabona is good bt lacks technique(even Sunday Oliseh said it Nig vs Spain@supersport) all Nigerian players dream,is 2 play in Europe (top clubs) nd he got d chance he is scared

I gat a frnd who went 2 AC milan fr trials,he was trainin wit d senior team nd couldn't do well cus on Ronaldinho! Bt leta signed by anoda club in Italy
Re: Obaobona Slams Wenger Over Invitation For Trial by ideylaff: 7:17am On Jul 29, 2013
milehigh06:
no minddem,like arsenal go give am stake for the club.dem baba kanu sef na THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICES HE GET

See how mis informed you are.. When Wenger gave Kanu a chance, no other club was willing to help him, even his current club back den Inter Milan were hanging on to the Doctors/Surgeons report to retire the poor boy.

No man gives kids a chance to flourish more than Wenger even if will cost him the title

How many kids are playing @ d Arsenal academy right now from African origin.. how many Loads...

Please lets show some respoect... this decision about coming for a trial might not even have gotten to Wengers desk..

He has scouts and talent harnessing people who make those kind of decision

Na Obaobona dey make mouth, we go soon hear Arsenal side... may be the boy turned up and filled a form with two conflicting dates of Birth sef , could have filled a form with anoda club and that one landed on Arsenals desk 2 be compared with a new date hes quoting

we dont know if you ask me

AW is a legend weda una like am or not, dont judge him with the last 8 years look @ his entire career, players he has made and what he has done

Google wenger up and see his rating even with his no trophy 8 years den you will know that ds nijas kid has goofed big time Going Public and attacking Arsenal and Wenger in person.

What has d boy/man done or wia he don reach... Tscewwwwww

na 2000 una nija boys just begin watch football ni... Slamming Wenger because of wan 30 + year old player

All of una dey yap oyinbo, why are we doing long throat to play in their league if ours is any better?

LOL.

We yap Oyinbo and den go and do yes sir in Greece, Russia, Turkey, Poland, and Norway... for pittance

Obaobona is making noise so he can get recognition but he went about it the wrong way by attacking Arsene Wenger

Back to Kanu, have you heard Kanu himself bad mouth Wenger . NO cos hes not an ingrate.

Come for trial no or yes simple why attack the employer noaw Obaobona...wrong move if u were advised oooo

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (11) (Reply)

Nigeria Vs Libya: Chelsea, Arsenal React To Super Eagles’ Win / Solomon Dalung Orders Amaju Pinnick To Step Down As NFF Boss / Patrice Evra Backs England To Win Euro 2020 While Holding A Fish (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 103
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.