Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,440 members, 7,819,622 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 07:19 PM

Obaobona Slams Wenger Over Invitation For Trial - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Obaobona Slams Wenger Over Invitation For Trial (33146 Views)

Jose Mourinho Takes A Jab At Arsene Wenger Over Arsenal’s Transfer Spending... / Mourinho Agrees With Wenger Over FIFA Ballon D'or / Oboabona Denies Receiving Arsenal Invitation For A Trial (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply) (Go Down)

Obaobona Slams Wenger Over Invitation For Trial by IyfeNamikaze(m): 6:58pm On Jul 26, 2013
Super Eagles inform defender, Godfrey Obabona has expressed anger against the management and technical staff of Premiership entertaining team, Arsenal for inviting him for trial before offering
him a deal, frowning that such decision more of less discredits him and the country at large.

Speaking to Daily Sunsports at the Super Eagles camp in Abuja, the Sunshine Stars FC of Akure defender argued that he could not see the rationale, why Barcelona should sign midfield attacking sensation, Nermay da Silva Santos, who was playing in the Brazilian league without trial and Arsenal could not do the same to him, describing his invitation for trial as an embarrassment.

Asked what happened to his Arsenal deal the Super Eagles defender angrily thundered: “I don’t think anything happened because it is high time some of these clubs started respecting this country. Nigeria is a very big football playing country. “I continue to wonder why Barcelona should sign Nermay for £50 million from a Brazilian club even before Brazil won the Confederations Cup, only for Arsenal management to tell me, who participated in the team that won the Africa Cup of Nations to come for trial.

www.sunnewsonline.com/new/sports/obaobona-slams-wenger/

26 Likes

Re: Obaobona Slams Wenger Over Invitation For Trial by Afam4eva(m): 7:04pm On Jul 26, 2013
Why should he be tried? This is an insult. This is someone that has won the nations cup and been to the confederations cup. If they think he did not do well in these competitions then they should look elsewhere instead of telling him to start his life all over again in the name of trials. Nonsense.

32 Likes

Re: Obaobona Slams Wenger Over Invitation For Trial by Adufaye(m): 8:03pm On Jul 26, 2013
Dey wan check u fr trials weda,u really lie 4 ya age!

Arsenal cal u 4 trial u dy do shakara,u neva knw weitin dy hapun,u no wan dy chop money week in week out abi? Pounds ooh!!

If u really good,u wuld hv gone fr d trial

5 Likes

Re: Obaobona Slams Wenger Over Invitation For Trial by LesbianBoy(m): 8:09pm On Jul 26, 2013
This thread would make frontpage who wan bet grin grin

1 Like

Re: Obaobona Slams Wenger Over Invitation For Trial by Bigcake: 8:56pm On Jul 26, 2013
Adufaye: Dey wan check u fr trials weda,u really lie 4 ya age!

Arsenal cal u 4 trial u dy do shakara,u neva knw weitin dy hapun,u no wan dy chop money week in week out abi? Pounds ooh!!

If u really good,u wuld hv gone fr d trial
Obaobona is not a coward. U na long throat go kill u.

14 Likes

Re: Obaobona Slams Wenger Over Invitation For Trial by Adufaye(m): 9:13pm On Jul 26, 2013
Bigcake: Obaobona is not a coward. U na long throat go kill u.
bros dis is nt mata of coward or long throat! If I dy e shoe born dat tin,I go don go tey tey! Arsenal no b small club!

Wht Arsenal wanted 2 do is 2 play him along wit his age group/mate 2 see if he is lyin abt his age or can stand d pace wit his mate! No playa is bigger dan trials

9 Likes

Re: Obaobona Slams Wenger Over Invitation For Trial by IyfeNamikaze(m): 9:54pm On Jul 26, 2013
the guy has some point, don't they (arsenal) have scouts? Why invite him for trails as if he hasn't been playing regular international football? Analyze his games and see if he is fit for your club or not. The only sensible trial for him would be medical trails.

11 Likes

Re: Obaobona Slams Wenger Over Invitation For Trial by Kgdavid(m): 1:05am On Jul 27, 2013
lol ok naw don't go for the trials. foolishness of th ehighest order...even freddy adu and other far bigger players go for trials and one small unknown player would be making mouth. in any case im pretty sure this info is fabricated

4 Likes

Re: Obaobona Slams Wenger Over Invitation For Trial by Kgdavid(m): 1:16am On Jul 27, 2013

1 Like

Re: Obaobona Slams Wenger Over Invitation For Trial by Nobody: 2:38am On Jul 27, 2013
Kgdavid: lol ok naw don't go for the trials. foolishness of th ehighest order...even freddy adu and other far bigger players go for trials and one small unknown player would be making mouth. in any case im pretty sure this info is fabricated

Err... sorry, but except in your ignorant little head, Oboabona is NOT an ''unknown player'', having performed before the entire world at the African Nations Cup and Confederations Cup to GREAT credit. In the course of those tournaments, he held his own effectively against major names like Didier Drogba, Iniesta, Xavi and Suarez. These are all names that the average Arsenal defender crumbles at the sight of, so it is a GROSS INSULT to ask Godfrey Oboabana, African Champion par excellence, to come for ''trials'' at ANY club including Barcelona and Real Madrid, talk less of Arsenal. Any club that wants him - even if it is Sunderland - MUST respect him enough to acquire him outright.

92 Likes

Re: Obaobona Slams Wenger Over Invitation For Trial by sambos994(m): 3:55am On Jul 27, 2013
Kgdavid: lol ok naw don't go for the trials. foolishness of th ehighest order...even freddy adu and other far bigger players go for trials and one small unknown player would be making mouth. in any case im pretty sure this info is fabricated

You're a complete buffoon. Oboabona is NOT an unknown player. Putting Drogba, Suarez, Cavani in his ponket is no easy feat. And to think the best he deserves is a trial? That's an insult. You can play your part by shutting the f**k up.

15 Likes

Re: Obaobona Slams Wenger Over Invitation For Trial by Kgdavid(m): 7:35am On Jul 27, 2013
ROSSIKE:

Err... sorry, but except in your ignorant little head, Oboabona is NOT an ''unknown player'', having performed before the entire world at the African Nations Cup and Confederations Cup to GREAT credit. In the course of those tournaments, he held his own effectively against major names like Didier Drogba, Iniesta, Xavi and Suarez. These are all names that the average Arsenal defender crumbles at the sight of, so it is a GROSS INSULT to ask Godfrey Oboabana, African Champion par excellence, to come for ''trials'' at ANY club including Barcelona and Real Madrid, talk less of Arsenal. Any club that wants him - even if it is Sunderland - MUST respect him enough to acquire him outright.

be a little civil, i'm not one of those posters who comes on here to trade insults and for sure on a good day you an di won't be found hanging in the same spot but since you seem like you have some decent points i will answer you. of course ogboagbona is not absolutely unknown, he is relatively unknown. the first thing you must realize is that European clubs do not take the African nations cup seriously. then consider the following:

1. did Ogboagbonna take on all those players by himself? and in fact it was Omeruo who really impressed against Drogba and Cavani stop exposing your lack of insight here. anyone who knows anything about football knows that in the Nigeria national team, Omeruo is usually the one marking the bigger more physical players.
2. didnt we still concede 6 goals in three games at the confederations cup? any defender would be thoroughly ashamed of that record especially when we were the only team tahiti could score against.
3. Ogboabona took on xavi and iniesta? how did a defender take on xavi and iniesta? he practically never even came into contact with either of those two especially xavi...be reasonable in the things you say. rather a fellow defender like himself, jordi alba, made a mockery out of him and his fellows. hope you realize that fernando torres's goal was directly ogboabona's fault? give me the stats on how many clean sheets we kept during the nations cup.... or you don't know that all these count in the assessment of a player?
4. if you know football at all, you would know that if this story was true in the first place the reason he is being invited for trials is because they need to know his ability to play at premier league level, with better players around him. if you think the standard of defending of the nigerian national team is up to scratch then you really have no clue at all of what football is all about. you think making the step up from NPL to EPL is easy??
5. the fact is the guy is still a local player who would earn a minimum of 20 times wat he is currently earning if he should manage to make it to arsenal. did i say 20? make that 50. so if you think he can afford to sit down somewhere and demand to be bought outright ... grin thats all i gotta say to you.

btw like i said earlier this story is not true so don't give yourself unnecesarry hypertension ok dear? smiley

56 Likes

Re: Obaobona Slams Wenger Over Invitation For Trial by toprealman: 8:19am On Jul 27, 2013
This guy is a big headed fool! Intelligent students are tested and some who excel remarkably well get double promotion.
Rather than let his ego hinder his progress, why didn't he go and show arsenal what he can do and afterwards say no to the offer for being insulted as a result of being invited for trials.
Ibrahimovic did that...yes but then scouts are no fools. They see what most people don't see. he should go and find out what happened to Ndidi Anumunu, one of our finest local player who played for iwuanyanwu int'l.
Hope you don't regret your action son.

6 Likes

Re: Obaobona Slams Wenger Over Invitation For Trial by hollandis(f): 10:19am On Jul 27, 2013
I love it when nigerians reject this sort of racial profilling.Not All these uselesss poor muther fuuvkers criticising his decision

6 Likes

Re: Obaobona Slams Wenger Over Invitation For Trial by ayusco: 2:17pm On Jul 27, 2013
@kgdavid decent points u raised but the fact of the matter is that oboabona is a full international playing for a recognised footballing nation and as such deserves respect

As per him keeping clean sheets to be fair to him he wasn't always at fault for the goals nigeria conceded the tahiti one you mentioned was enyeamas fault. No doubt oboabona needs to improve his game greatly b4 he can play for a top club like arsenal but he is definitely beter than some clowns arsenal bought in the past.
Plus if marsielle could buy Taiye Taiwo direct from lobi stars in the same npl then y not oboabona

6 Likes

Re: Obaobona Slams Wenger Over Invitation For Trial by Nobody: 3:24pm On Jul 27, 2013
Ah the beautiful game smiley
Re: Obaobona Slams Wenger Over Invitation For Trial by Adex097: 3:30pm On Jul 27, 2013
Good for that old stingy man!!!
Re: Obaobona Slams Wenger Over Invitation For Trial by Adex097: 3:31pm On Jul 27, 2013
hollandis: I love it when nigerians reject this sort of racial profilling.Not All these uselesss poor muther fuuvkers criticising his decision
Na everything white do to black be racism...
Nawa o...maybe na inferiority complex dey worry una.

3 Likes

Re: Obaobona Slams Wenger Over Invitation For Trial by Ibangap(m): 3:31pm On Jul 27, 2013
Sorry, but which club does obaobona play for?

2 Likes

Re: Obaobona Slams Wenger Over Invitation For Trial by Nomski0(f): 3:31pm On Jul 27, 2013
I think he should just go for the trial......the worst that could happen is that he wont be signed.
With time, Nigerian players will hopefully be given more respect......right now, he should let sleeping dogs lie.

2 Likes

Re: Obaobona Slams Wenger Over Invitation For Trial by Nobody: 3:32pm On Jul 27, 2013
I am an Arsenal fan but Arsené Wenger don chop am. Kudos to you my tallented defender.
Re: Obaobona Slams Wenger Over Invitation For Trial by Ajibel(m): 3:32pm On Jul 27, 2013
Dis one na beauteafool insalt on the person of Oboabona na. Its berra he didnt go, he'd have been priced at 500k embarassed
Re: Obaobona Slams Wenger Over Invitation For Trial by Obiagu1(m): 3:33pm On Jul 27, 2013
+1000 Gbosa for Godfrey Oboabona.

Wenger is a clown! How could he call a full international for a trial

It's an insult for both Oboabona and Nigeria.

1 Like

Re: Obaobona Slams Wenger Over Invitation For Trial by venorite(m): 3:35pm On Jul 27, 2013
No go trial make dem no weda dem go fit help ur life
Re: Obaobona Slams Wenger Over Invitation For Trial by olagamalin(m): 3:35pm On Jul 27, 2013
Funny guy, E go tey oooo ...nice points raised by Kgdavid.
Re: Obaobona Slams Wenger Over Invitation For Trial by free2ryhme: 3:35pm On Jul 27, 2013
Iyfe Namikaze: Super Eagles inform defender, Godfrey Obabona has expressed anger against the management and technical staff of Premiership entertaining team, Arsenal for inviting him for trial before offering
him a deal, frowning that such decision more of less discredits him and the country at large.

Speaking to Daily Sunsports at the Super Eagles camp in Abuja, the Sunshine Stars FC of Akure defender argued that he could not see the rationale, why Barcelona should sign midfield attacking sensation, Nermay da Silva Santos, who was playing in the Brazilian league without trial and Arsenal could not do the same to him, describing his invitation for trial as an embarrassment.

Asked what happened to his Arsenal deal the Super Eagles defender angrily thundered: “I don’t think anything happened because it is high time some of these clubs started respecting this country. Nigeria is a very big football playing country. “I continue to wonder why Barcelona should sign Nermay for £50 million from a Brazilian club even before Brazil won the Confederations Cup, only for Arsenal management to tell me, who participated in the team that won the Africa Cup of Nations to come for trial.

www.sunnewsonline.com/new/sports/obaobona-slams-wenger/

Nice one Obaobona! Well said
Re: Obaobona Slams Wenger Over Invitation For Trial by HAH: 3:37pm On Jul 27, 2013
This mumu is comparing himself with Neymar, stay there if you don't want to go for trials your best bet is israel or norway.

6 Likes

Re: Obaobona Slams Wenger Over Invitation For Trial by free2ryhme: 3:38pm On Jul 27, 2013
Nomski0: I think he should just go for the trial......the worst that could happen is that he wont be signed.
With time, Nigerian players will hopefully be given more respect......right now, he should let sleeping dogs lie.

na people like you dont know their worth ....

You think say everythign na money ..

Na women you be wetin you no sef
Re: Obaobona Slams Wenger Over Invitation For Trial by omiobo: 3:38pm On Jul 27, 2013
God bless u Obaobona! It's good to know your worth.
Re: Obaobona Slams Wenger Over Invitation For Trial by Obiagu1(m): 3:39pm On Jul 27, 2013
The inferiority of some Nigerians here is shocking.

It's a risk clubs take. You sign a matured player and hope for the best.

[size=16pt]It's only kids that go for trials.[/size]

4 Likes

Re: Obaobona Slams Wenger Over Invitation For Trial by zerocool(m): 3:40pm On Jul 27, 2013
Even Cristiano Ronaldo went for Trials at Arsenal back then and Zlatan Ibrahimovic

Zlatan Ibrahimovic turned down the chance to move to Arsenal because boss Arsene Wenger wanted the Sweden striker to go through a trial.

The AC Milan player was a teenager when he met up with Wenger in 2000 to discuss a possible move to north London.

Ibrahimovic, 30, told The Sun: 'Arsene gave me the famous red and white jersey - the No 9 shirt with Ibrahimovic on it and I was so pleased I even posed for a picture wearing it.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2109996/Zlatan-Ibrahimovic-rejected-Arsenal-trial-offer.html#ixzz2aFzg9hwL
Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

He should better carry his bags and go for trials. Nobody knows him just yet.. Even Mikel will be eager to play for Arsenal if offered a deal. You are offered trial..a stepping stone to a deal, you dey do yanga. Arsenal does not waste time trying to convince a player to join them. You turn them down, they try a little harder and if it seems you are not too passionate about them, they move on to the next player available and they are still among the topmost club in the EPL.

Mikel who was popular in Nigeria youth world cup with Messi..and plays in Norway, went for trial at Man Utd and Chelsea.

And also many many other great players you know now today. Who is Obawetin? Sunshine Stars my foot!

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (11) (Reply)

Obafemi Martins Poses With His Ferrari Spider / FIFA World Cup Logos From 1930 – 2018, Which One’s The Best? / Real Madrid Re-Appoints Zinedine Zidane As Manager

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.