Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,187 members, 7,818,612 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 07:44 PM

Nysc Program Cause Of Unemployment - NYSC - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / NYSC / Nysc Program Cause Of Unemployment (1309 Views)

Highest Paying States For Nysc Program. / Scrap the NYSC Program: Deputy Chairman of the House of Representatives Committee on Labour / The Compulsory One Year NYSC Program (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Nysc Program Cause Of Unemployment by johnemeka(m): 4:18am On Jul 28, 2013
[b]This is really a bitter truth but it must be said.I will map out my points straigth.

Our Goverment makes NYSC program out of selfiness.why should a graduate be paid #19,800 for doing jobs that worth more than #70,000.In this case,they only use the corps members because it is cheaper for them.My dear forget they said is for National unity.Ask them,what are they uniting,is Nigeria bigger than America or does America have this kind of program?Okay,why not pay that person untill he gets a job.

Why should majority of our graduates be posted to one field (Teaching).It is quite unfortunate to tell you that it does not in any way help the serving corps members in their field of study.Tell me how relavant is it that one studied Engineering in the High institution and after graduation all you could do for him is to send him to a secondary school to teach Mathematics,Physics,Chemistry,Geograghy,etc.How will this help him to develop his knowledge in his field of study?

Why must we use corps members to teach,where we have poeple who studied how to teach.During my service year I handled JSS1 Mathematics for 700 students (clases:A-N)in one of the government owned big schools in Akwa Ibom State.It was not easy but I know I did my best.The use of corps members have created enough unemployment for those of them that studied teaching as a course and have made it uninteresting course for admission sickers.

I was not happy the day I was collecting my NYSC certificate and I was told to collect my Discharge certificate.please the word 'Discharge' what is the conotation,does it have positive or negative meaning?
Our government uses the name NYSC to rough use her citizens and dump them.How many of the served NYSC corps members are been absorbed or employed per batch by our so called government.

I am not saying that NYSC program is not good.The system of running it should change.The corps members should be posted to their core area of study.If you study Agriculture you should be posted to Agricultural firm,if you study Engineering ,then you should be posted to your relavant Engineering firm,etc.Let Us stop playing tricks with the future hope of this nation.If poeple are allowed to serve in their area of relavance,they will have the opportunity of been employed by the firm they served in.If poeple are allowed to serve in their place of relavance they will work hard to be retained and employment oportunities will be created.However,even if the person was not retained,then the person must have gained more experience in his discipline and can esterblish on his own.

NYSC program is in the wrong direction now,please the authorities incharge should look into this and change the direction now that it is possible.

One Nigeria!!!
[/b]

2 Likes

Re: Nysc Program Cause Of Unemployment by drizzydrag(m): 6:26am On Jul 28, 2013
That's the hidden fact bro... Is only God that can save us from the hands of those selfish leaders.
Re: Nysc Program Cause Of Unemployment by portacabin: 9:21am On Jul 28, 2013
There is unemployment simply because the production/absorbtion capacity of the Nigerian economy is low.
If you have this writeup, it means that your understanding of the issue is poor.
We import most of our commodities- vegetable oil, rice , sugar, textiles, wheat flour, steel, most chemicals, petrol etc.
Importation cannot generate much employment.
NYSC , the way it is is not fantastic, but it is even helping as a shock absorber for unemployment
Re: Nysc Program Cause Of Unemployment by johnemeka(m): 6:11pm On Jul 28, 2013
portacabin: There is unemployment simply because the production/absorbtion capacity of the Nigerian economy is low.
If you have this writeup, it means that your understanding of the issue is poor.
We import most of our commodities- vegetable oil, rice , sugar, textiles, wheat flour, steel, most chemicals, petrol etc.
Importation cannot generate much employment.
NYSC , the way it is is not fantastic, but it is even helping as a shock absorber for unemployment

your point is clear and good but if you had read very well you would understand my point of view.
My points are:
Corps members should be paid better allawance.
They should be posted to their field of study.
They should be absorbed after their service year,etc.

One Nigeria!!!
Re: Nysc Program Cause Of Unemployment by portacabin: 12:00am On Jul 29, 2013
The current allowance paid now to corpers is the best so far. approx $130. When I served 16 years ago we were paid barely $10 and I was always broke.
There is no capacity to absorb corpers after NYSC, so the issue of serving where you can practice is out of place.
Your points are good but not feasible. Unemployment is a symptom, so the root cause must be tackled first.
Re: Nysc Program Cause Of Unemployment by Nobody: 8:01am On Jul 29, 2013
portacabin: There is unemployment simply because the production/absorbtion capacity of the Nigerian economy is low.

can this not also be due to the fact that corpers are stuffed up into employable positions so as to pay them a paltry 19k and save cost ?
Re: Nysc Program Cause Of Unemployment by portacabin: 8:14am On Jul 29, 2013
You guys argument is bland.
the number of serving corpers at any point in time is not more than 300,000. the number of unemployed is way above that.
More over most are not really doing much & can not do much apart from in schools . The current allowance is really good compared to what it was in 1996/1997.

1 Like

Re: Nysc Program Cause Of Unemployment by Nobody: 9:31am On Jul 29, 2013
portacabin: You guys argument is bland.
the number of serving corpers at any point in time is not more than 300,000. the number of unemployed is way above that.
More over most are not really doing much & can not do much apart from in schools . The current allowance is really good compared to what it was in 1996/1997.

what you can get for 1000 in 1996 is it still what you can get for 1000 in 2013?
Re: Nysc Program Cause Of Unemployment by portacabin: 9:51am On Jul 29, 2013
the difference is just about 2x but in real terms of $ exchange, now its about $130, then it was bare $10
Re: Nysc Program Cause Of Unemployment by johnemeka(m): 7:57am On Jul 31, 2013
Imanuelle:

can this not also be due to the fact that corpers are stuffed up into employable positions so as to pay them a paltry 19k and save cost ?
Ah!
Thank you for this point!
Re: Nysc Program Cause Of Unemployment by Nobody: 8:02am On Jul 31, 2013
johnemeka:
Ah!
Thank you for this point!

wink
Re: Nysc Program Cause Of Unemployment by johnemeka(m): 10:23pm On Aug 26, 2014
There is God oh!

(1) (Reply)

My Deep Regret From Nysc Orientation Camp / Good To Go Batch A Corpers , How Much Have You Saved So Far From Your Allawee / Why Graduates Cherish NYSC Certificate Than Higher Institution Certificate?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.