Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,827 members, 7,956,128 topics. Date: Monday, 23 September 2024 at 04:00 AM

Why Africa Is Poor? - Foreign Affairs (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Why Africa Is Poor? (2448 Views)

Africa Is Not A Country - TIME / Foreigners Are Not Lazy Like You Poor South Africans - Zuma Says / Terror Threat In Africa Is Worrying - US General (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply)

Re: Why Africa Is Poor? by manmustwac(m): 6:49pm On Jun 01, 2008
corruption, bad leadership, nepotism, tribalism, greed, selfishness etc
Re: Why Africa Is Poor? by redsun(m): 7:17pm On Jun 01, 2008
Afrca is poor presently fundamentally but abundantly rich in resources,the orientations are just way out of  course.I think there is a great need for us to understand what was really happening in africa before the coming of whiteman,were people really hungry,sick,uninventive and demoralize?

I,for one,the whiteman met my ancestors as leaders of my people with fierce resistence,there is a record of my ancestoral uncle that hacked a white  missionary to death,they couldn't comprehend with the idea of an albino,for all they know,from outer planet coming to take over their land, authorities,way of life and meanings,a systems that has been going on for centuries before the first whiteman touched our territory,a system that is still on today,in as much as it is being dwindle by the so-called democrazy we have today as a system.

The more things go bad,the more we want to go back to our roots with humane innovations,we will get there. Understanding the fundamentals sets you free,knowing that you breath to stay alive helps you to understand that you live to conquer.
Re: Why Africa Is Poor? by Kobojunkie: 4:06am On Jun 02, 2008
Africa is not poor, has never been but considering the amount of effort we put into building our continent, we remain the poorest continent when output is weighed over input.

The situation in that continent today has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with what has taken place in that continent centuries ago or even 50 years ago. The situation in that continent is a result of the poor effort put forth by it's inhabitants to see to it that the continent is developed and resources are used to it's benefit. Take the case of Nigeria for instance, a country rich in oil but plagued with one man-made problem after another. We do not refine our own oil and have been unable to handle the working of refineries for so long now.

I believe the time is coming when the world will, instead of pumping more money into africa will demand that africa sign over managing of it's resources in exchange for it's people being taken care of, if the situation continues. It has already started happening and countries like China and India are working hard to get significant hold on africa's resources but I believe the west is pushing to get's it's own share of the cake and soon, Africans who have been pushing slavery as their reason not to work to develop things in that continent maybe faced with little or no choice but to accept such. We already hear of stories of sweatshops right there in Nigeria managed by small chinese companies. We may see more if things continue the way they are today and we do not start to hold our leaders more accountable.

Trying to respond by pushing the world away is not going to work as we live now in a global village and it is in our best interested to welcome the world and make sure we build the best relationship as we do so now. Continuing to function with the mentality of the past is not going to help at all. We have tons of examples why this will not work and we are not willing to learn from these failures, we may continue to see failure and more failure in the near future.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Blame It On Congress: Not Bush / US Banks Freeze Nigerian Embassy Accounts / Wealthy Brits Slam London ‘invasion’ Of Arab Playboys

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.