Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,750 members, 7,824,158 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 01:13 AM

Why Africa Is Poor? - Foreign Affairs - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Foreign Affairs / Why Africa Is Poor? (2389 Views)

Africa Is Not A Country - TIME / Foreigners Are Not Lazy Like You Poor South Africans - Zuma Says / Terror Threat In Africa Is Worrying - US General (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Africa Is Poor? by ZUBY77(m): 8:17pm On May 29, 2008
Africa is economically poor. Some Afri-philes and some Africans sometimes blame colonialism as part of the reason why the continent is economically poor. Afri-phobes insist that after half a century of freedom from colonialism, that particular excuse is no longer valid, and that we need to look elsewhere
FIND OUT MORE ON
[url=http://.com/index.php/topic,745.new.html#new]THE WALL[/url]
Re: Why Africa Is Poor? by SeanT21(f): 10:21pm On May 29, 2008
I blame the dumbass leader who take the country money and use it for their personal use. Charles Taylor comes to mine.
Re: Why Africa Is Poor? by Ezinwannem: 6:06pm On May 30, 2008
the by-product (legacy) of colonalism is why Africa is poor
Re: Why Africa Is Poor? by Kobojunkie: 8:11pm On May 30, 2008
Africa is not poor. Who said Africa is poor?? Where did you get that one from ?? And Are the colonial masters to blame for Africa not being poor ??
Re: Why Africa Is Poor? by MyTempID: 8:28pm On May 30, 2008
Africa is filled with riches. Our incapable leaders just don't know how to manage and utilize our resources. That's especially why the economy is suffering, I guess.
Re: Why Africa Is Poor? by superboi(m): 8:29pm On May 30, 2008
i think the may reason africa did not change it economic fortune for the better after independence was because most of the people that can into leadership were big dreamers who took their country straight back into slavery or conflicts.
Re: Why Africa Is Poor? by Kobojunkie: 8:30pm On May 30, 2008
superboi:

i think the may reason africa did not change it economic fortune for the better after independence was because most of the people that can into leadership were big dreamers who took their country straight back into slavery or conflicts.

yep, our so called heros turned out to be nothing but criminals and hoodlums.
Re: Why Africa Is Poor? by superboi(m): 8:49pm On May 30, 2008
yeah some kobojunkie,but alot wanted to be good but had no concept in managing a country and were plunged into debt by crasy projects like, ajaokuta akosombo and a lot of other massive programmes we couldnt develope without loans when we hadnt even grown local economics,this left us open to external forces the rest is history.look at the asians,the took the long part and are enjoying it now,but we be want short cut and till today its the same thing both the leaders and the people obj come blame abacha ,now na umoru wan catch obj.we all need to look within our head not to the ground

1 Like

Re: Why Africa Is Poor? by SamMilla1(m): 4:03pm On May 31, 2008
Kobojunkie:

Africa is not poor. Who said Africa is poor?? Where did you get that one from ?? And Are the colonial masters to blame for Africa not being poor ??

I wonder how you view things. Africa is very poor. Period !
I am African and i have been to almost all the West African countries.
So when i say Africa is poor, i know what i am talking about.
Unlike Europe, where everything is near perfect.
Transportation,Good roads,Power,Water and everything about life.
They wear shoes and clothes and send it to Africa.
Use cars and other equipments and send it to Africa.
And you said we are not poor. We are very poor.
Maybe the blames goes to our leaders but the keyword here is poverty.

3 Likes

Re: Why Africa Is Poor? by bluehorizo(m): 7:26pm On May 31, 2008
SAM MILLA:

I wonder how you view things. Africa is very poor. Period !
I am African and i have been to almost all the West African countries.
So when i say Africa is poor, i know what i am talking about.
Unlike Europe, where everything is near perfect.
Transportation,Good roads,Power,Water and everything about life.
They wear shoes and clothes and send it to Africa.
Use cars and other equipments and send it to Africa.
And you said we are not poor. We are very poor.
Maybe the blames goes to our leaders but the keyword here is poverty.

Bad and Corrupt Leadership is the answer. Thanks to the colonial masters and our illiterate leaders.
Re: Why Africa Is Poor? by madamkoko: 7:28pm On May 31, 2008
Africa is the richest and wealthiest continenent in the entire universe ( in heaven and on earth) African is the richest.
Re: Why Africa Is Poor? by madamkoko: 7:32pm On May 31, 2008
Africa is poor because we are stupid, and our leaders know that. We are not stupid because we are not smart or brilliant, we are stupid because we do not talk, we do not speak up, we do not stand up for our lives, We accomodate stupidity, ( I appauld some Nigerian writers who have done spoken out, although few have been exiled, they have at least spoken up.

We don't know a good leadership from bad leadership, plus our leaders have severe INFERIORITY COMPLEX. ( they see white man and they're shaking)
Re: Why Africa Is Poor? by 4Play(m): 7:33pm On May 31, 2008
madamkoko:

Africa is the richest and wealthiest continenent in the entire universe ( in heaven and on earth) African is the richest.

No we are not.For instance,if you look at Nigeria's oil revenue per capita,its effectively peanuts.

What we possess is economic potential not wealth.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Africa Is Poor? by madamkoko: 7:35pm On May 31, 2008
I appauld BLACK men like Okoya, Motsepe and Sexwale, who have been able to use African resources to make some GOOD money.

Usually, its normally foreigners that use our resources, we work for foreigners in our own countries,, we easily let foreigner use us and our resources, and then we RUN to other countries,

I appauld Abiola, FELA, who can TALK and speak up,
Re: Why Africa Is Poor? by madamkoko: 7:37pm On May 31, 2008
Quote from: madamkoko on Today at 07:28:57 PM

No we are not.For instance,if you look at Nigeria's oil revenue per capita,its effectively peanuts.

What we possess is economic potential not wealth.

Do must be looking at the wrong data, hahah ( maybe we need a better research anaylst)

Nigeria's oil revenue and production =
Re: Why Africa Is Poor? by madamkoko: 7:38pm On May 31, 2008
I don't know of any white man who makes money without something in Africa,

Africa is the richest continent in the entire universe.
Re: Why Africa Is Poor? by dee02(m): 7:54pm On May 31, 2008
madamkoko:

Puhhhlleeeaze!
You are wrong and you would always be wrong!
We might have resources(which we can't harness!) but that doesnt mean we are rich

3 Likes

Re: Why Africa Is Poor? by madamkoko: 9:33pm On May 31, 2008
If you are going to make a point, make sure its valid.

I am entitled to my opinion and your opinion is WRONG and will always be WRONG.

You must be very stupid to think that Africa does not harness its resources,  You might need further research to support your statements before you choose to post.

Motsepe and Sexwale are among the wealthiest men in the world. I wonder how ?
Re: Why Africa Is Poor? by madamkoko: 9:50pm On May 31, 2008
The fact you've acknowledged that Africa has resources only means that its not POOR.

China alone invests almost 8 billions dollars in Africa, I wonder why

If there was no potential for thier return I am quite certain that they won't invest in it.

Bill Clinton's Global Initiative is focused on how to exploit Africa, ( Bill Clinton has tagged himself an expert on Africa and he is paid 2 million dollars to give speeches on Africa)

Almost every foriegner I know wants to go to Africa, not to visit but to find ways to exploit it, I wonder why, if the continent was soo POOR why would they want to go

Anyways onward, I go
Re: Why Africa Is Poor? by savanaha: 11:33pm On May 31, 2008
I think the inability for most African nations to come out of their poverty is more than has been profferred by many.
Re: Why Africa Is Poor? by MyTempID: 2:32am On Jun 01, 2008
dee02:

Puhhhlleeeaze!
You are wrong and you would always be wrong!
We might have resources(which we can't harness!) but that doesnt mean we are rich

Actually, no, you're wrong! Africa, most especially, Nigeria has resources. Resources we can tap into, like other nations can tap into their resources, to help strengthen their economy. In many ways, our handicapped leaders in Nigeria have done a poor managerial job of putting these resources to good use. To be fair, it is true that poverty has bed-ridden the people in Nigeria. But why fault the people when all they can do is depend on the economy and the economy to better their future. Look at the roads, the entire infrastructure especially our schools all lead to a near-predictable dead-end. The rich continue to get richer while the poor will continue to struggle. At least the poor in America can still rely on menial jobs at McDonalds to get by.

2 Likes

Re: Why Africa Is Poor? by madamkoko: 2:55am On Jun 01, 2008
MyTempID very solid points!!!!!!! Thank you.

BTW: At least the poor in America can still rely on menial jobs at McDonalds to get by.

Most poor people in America can't get by with menial jobs considering that the economy is very weak and something basic as food prices keeps increasing, History will repeat its self and what happened in the 1970s will happen again (drugs, high crimes rates, and all and all)
Re: Why Africa Is Poor? by madamkoko: 2:57am On Jun 01, 2008
I also don't blame the leaders. I blame US, NIGERIANS, for not speaking up against our leaders. We stay mum shut.

BABA FELA, may his musical work live on, he was the only one who had the BALLS, grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Why Africa Is Poor? by MyTempID: 2:59am On Jun 01, 2008
What you do realize is, it is difficult to to speak out against the leaders for fear of assassination.   Not only is it a fear, it is a realistic concern that even politicians have to guard against.
Re: Why Africa Is Poor? by 4Him1(m): 3:02am On Jun 01, 2008
madamkoko:

I also don't blame the leaders. I blame US, NIGERIANS, for not speaking up against our leaders. We stay mum shut.

why dont you go back home and speak up against our leaders on our behalf? its easy to make unrealistic comments from the relative comfort of foreign nations.

Nigerians spoke out loud during June 12 . . . most of them are 6ft under today. Dele Giwa, Kudirat, MKO, Rewane, Dikibo . . . Fawehinmi, Ransome Kuti, Falana . . . those who survived with their lives have had various stints with the gulag. Its not easy to lay ur life on the line to speak out against leaders.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Africa Is Poor? by madamkoko: 3:11am On Jun 01, 2008
Absolute valid points!!!!!!!!!!!! grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

Obviously, whoever speaks up needs to do so strategically,
Re: Why Africa Is Poor? by MyTempID: 3:12am On Jun 01, 2008
madamkoko:

Most poor people in America can't get by with menial jobs considering that the economy is very weak and something basic as food prices keeps increasing, History will repeat its self and what happened in the 1970s will happen again (drugs, high crimes rates, and all and all)

Ugh! Wouldn't you be surprised to find out just how many mexican families (no pun intended) live off these jobs (not only @ mcD), and sometimes even two or three of them at a time.  Nevermind the fact that these jobs are still a reliable source of income.  At least these people don't have to worry about being cheated out of their pay on Fridays.  There's no doubt it's a daily struggle, no denial here, but fact remains people here do live off these.  They still have an opportunity to live, to survive.  Even if the economy is weak, not much can be said about the economy over there in the land of our fathers.

1 Like

Re: Why Africa Is Poor? by madamkoko: 3:14am On Jun 01, 2008
MyTempID, absolutely brilliant, I can't dispute your points.
Re: Why Africa Is Poor? by MallamMusa: 9:13am On Jun 01, 2008
auch
Re: Why Africa Is Poor? by oziomatv(m): 9:18am On Jun 01, 2008
MallamMusa:

auch

You don'thave anything reasonable to add?
Re: Why Africa Is Poor? by dee02(m): 9:53am On Jun 01, 2008
oziomatv:

You don'thave anything reasonable to add?

the mallam story be like spectator who likes to look on while others make constructive comments! grin
Re: Why Africa Is Poor? by Mambola: 5:41pm On Jun 01, 2008
Africa is poor for the same reason that Singapore is rich.

If you can work that out, do so.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Hilarious! China Erects A Dog Statue That Looks Like Trump / Kyiv Totally Surrounded, All Escape Routes Have Blocked / Meet The Man Who Funds ISIS: Bilal Erdogan, The Son Of Turkey's President

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 48
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.