Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,306 members, 7,839,486 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 08:28 PM

20 Interesting Things About Water Birth - Health (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / 20 Interesting Things About Water Birth (25392 Views)

Info About Water Birth (baby Delivery In Water) / 20 Interesting Facts You Don't Know About Your Tongue / 10 Interesting Things About Veiled Births (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 20 Interesting Things About Water Birth by Nobody: 1:29pm On Aug 03, 2013
Any medium that works should be given a hit.
Re: 20 Interesting Things About Water Birth by oyedun82(m): 1:31pm On Aug 03, 2013
water birth koh water bed ni
Re: 20 Interesting Things About Water Birth by agohavivi(f): 1:33pm On Aug 03, 2013
Somtime ago I watched an American talk show "the doctors", organised by medical doctors. On that particular episode, water birth/delivery was the topic of discussion. A black female gyneacologist who usually featured on the programme advised mothers to desist from this mode of delivery claiming that the consequencies greatly outweighed the benefits. I've had to undergo excruciating labour pain twice but if I'm guaranteed a successful delivery and a health baby afterwards why would I go for a water birth which from all indication isn't more healthy that a dry delivery just because it's believed to be less painful(not even guaranteed sef)? No matter how we try to garnish the idea of water birth, I bet it isn't safer/better than dry birth.
Re: 20 Interesting Things About Water Birth by kendraloops(f): 1:33pm On Aug 03, 2013
Mehn, me I no fit o. Good old labour room all the way. Nigerian hospitals with their 'pure' water........make I dey nurse skin infection right after birth? No way!
Re: 20 Interesting Things About Water Birth by Babymyne: 1:39pm On Aug 03, 2013
watched it on keeping up with the kardashians. I didnt find it fascinating . D woman involved was in pains and i think its jst anoda crazy thing to do at that critical moment of child delivery!
Re: 20 Interesting Things About Water Birth by Bryancrox(m): 2:03pm On Aug 03, 2013
Is it a mammy water initiation?
Re: 20 Interesting Things About Water Birth by trolling(m): 2:10pm On Aug 03, 2013
my fore-mothers no do am why my wife go con do am, follow follow 9ja people
Re: 20 Interesting Things About Water Birth by Abiyamo: 2:18pm On Aug 03, 2013
Kilanwi, ki leleyii n so nisin? LOL!
free2ryhme: where you paid for this publicity stunt

1 Like

Re: 20 Interesting Things About Water Birth by Abiyamo: 2:20pm On Aug 03, 2013
Hmmm, actually, it is more of a mermaid ceremony. With doctors as ushers.
Bryancrox: Is it a mammy water initiation?
Re: 20 Interesting Things About Water Birth by Abiyamo: 2:21pm On Aug 03, 2013
You are on point dear, some people will find this really crazy...lol!
Babymyne: watched it on keeping up with the kardashians. I didnt find it fascinating . D woman involved was in pains and i think its jst anoda crazy thing to do at that critical moment of child delivery!
Re: 20 Interesting Things About Water Birth by Abiyamo: 2:25pm On Aug 03, 2013
No study has shown that water birth is more dangerous that dry birth. You can forward that study or report if there is one. Each mode (including dry birth)has its own advantages and disadvantages. As I have said, a woman should always consult with her ob on the most ideal method. Yes, it is new and more research is still being done. Hope it will be perfected with time. Interestingly, a vast fraction of animals deliver in water with little or no consequences. Let's see how it goes.
agoha_vivi: Somtime ago I watched an American talk show "the doctors", organised by medical doctors. On that particular episode, water birth/delivery was the topic of discussion. A black female gyneacologist who usually featured on the programme advised mothers to desist from this mode of delivery claiming that the consequencies greatly outweighed the benefits. I've had to undergo excruciating labour pain twice but if I'm guaranteed a successful delivery and a health baby afterwards why would I go for a water birth which from all indication isn't more healthy that a dry delivery just because it's believed to be less painful(not even guaranteed sef)? No matter how we try to garnish the idea of water birth, I bet it isn't safer/better than dry birth.
Re: 20 Interesting Things About Water Birth by thaoriginator: 2:28pm On Aug 03, 2013
Lol tis Op get touch Lmao! Nice post thou.
Re: 20 Interesting Things About Water Birth by Abiyamo: 2:29pm On Aug 03, 2013
I want to believe that the British Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists, RCOG, have a better understanding of foetal physiology than anyone on this page. They've given it their stamp of approval. As for the points you've raised, very brilliant points but I will suggest you carefully watch a video of a water birth to see how and when the umbilical cord is cut.
Watermelon: My concern is about the baby because the first breath of a baby in the first minute of life is highly essential for the survival and well being of that baby. A fetus delivered under water may be more prone to birth asphyxia. Sure in the womb, the baby is submerged in water, that is the amniotic fluid and does not breath with the nostrils while in that environment but gets oxygen and other nutrients through the placent. At birth and in some cases, immediately before the baby is born, this process is compromised as the p;acenta detaches form the maternal uterus and the newborn has to depend on the other route of obtaining oxygen which is the nostrils. Further compromising this route by immersing the baby in water might have dire consequences for the baby. If you have been in a labour room your will notice that the newborn may be turned upside down upon delivery or some medical tools placed in the nostrils all to clear to make breathing feasible for the baby. It may be ok for the mother but I will not prescribe this mode of delivery for any women. I am glad more research is being done in this field

1 Like

Re: 20 Interesting Things About Water Birth by Abiyamo: 2:31pm On Aug 03, 2013
LMAO!!!! My first line was meant for you...lol! Your comment cracked me up!
kendraloops: Mehn, me I no fit o. Good old labour room all the way. Nigerian hospitals with their 'pure' water........make I dey nurse skin infection right after birth? No way!
Re: 20 Interesting Things About Water Birth by Awelechukwu16(f): 2:31pm On Aug 03, 2013
Unknowingly initiated the innocent child into water spirit.

1 Like

Re: 20 Interesting Things About Water Birth by Idowuogbo(f): 2:33pm On Aug 03, 2013
freecocoa: Is this some sort of joke or what?

Ain't nobody putting me or my baby in a container of water.
Bush gal! Water birth helps you relax and it also helps you feel more in control of your labour.

1 Like

Re: 20 Interesting Things About Water Birth by obimind(m): 2:34pm On Aug 03, 2013
paul_288@yahoo.:
why do we human beings like making things complicated for ourselves, i don't see any sense in dis undecided
I tire o!
Re: 20 Interesting Things About Water Birth by obimind(m): 2:36pm On Aug 03, 2013
adeaugustus: Unsafe delivery method!
Don't compare the Amniotic fluid with water. They're two different thing.

Do you even know why baby cry when they're born? They cry because they're need oxygen badly! If you have a long delivery, take for instance the baby did not come out once, then am sorry for you...

Relaxing during pregnancy is a bad idea, as it would not allow the proper continuation of Positive feedback mechanism which is very important during paturation.
Bros, u're too much! I'm learning a lot from this thread.

1 Like

Re: 20 Interesting Things About Water Birth by obimind(m): 2:38pm On Aug 03, 2013
honey86: There are a lot of delivery methods used in western worlds that we don't use. some of this is home birth setting in the hospital, hypnosis birth, active birth to name a few. People even squat (the old fashioned way our forefathers used) to deliver. its known to be faster because it works with gravity and helps to put pressure. Nigeria is backward in child delivery.
Really? Pls tell me more.
Re: 20 Interesting Things About Water Birth by Nobody: 2:41pm On Aug 03, 2013
I have an oyinbo friend who had water birth and the whole thingy was pictured and filmed. It was interesting sha
Re: 20 Interesting Things About Water Birth by Abiyamo: 2:54pm On Aug 03, 2013
Wait, wait, what's this?. The main function of the liquor amnii (amniotic fluid) is to serve as a protective cushion for the baby while in the womb against blows and allowing for proper development. Amniotic fluid itself does not serve any purpose once the baby is out so I don't get your comparison with water. And the foetus gets the nutrients from the PLACENTA. And babies do not cry at birth because they need oxygen badly, as a matter of fact, not all babies cry at birth. Nobody knows exactly and for sure why they cry at birth, some do, some do not. However, we know that crying at birth has its functions such as help clearing the lungs which is actually full of amniotic fluid at birth. Relaxing during pregnancy is bad? It will affect the positive feedback mechanism Ha! What?! Maybe you explain that better. At any rate, there is nothing called paturation. Unless you are referring to parturition. quote author=obimind]
Bros, u're too much! I'm learning a lot from this thread.[/quote]
Re: 20 Interesting Things About Water Birth by Abiyamo: 2:55pm On Aug 03, 2013
Wait, wait, what's this?. The main function of the liquor amnii (amniotic fluid) is to serve as a protective cushion for the baby while in the womb against blows and allowing for proper development. Amniotic fluid itself does not serve any purpose once the baby is out so I don't get your comparison with water. And the foetus gets the nutrients from the PLACENTA. And babies do not cry at birth because they need oxygen badly, as a matter of fact, not all babies cry at birth. Nobody knows exactly and for sure why they cry at birth, some do, some do not. However, we know that crying at birth has its functions such as help clearing the lungs which is actually full of amniotic fluid at birth. Relaxing during pregnancy is bad? It will affect the positive feedback mechanism Ha! What?! Maybe you explain that better. At any rate, there is nothing called paturation. Unless you are referring to parturition.
adeaugustus: Unsafe delivery method!
Don't compare the Amniotic fluid with water. They're two different thing.

Do you even know why baby cry when they're born? They cry because they're need oxygen badly! If you have a long delivery, take for instance the baby did not come out once, then am sorry for you...

Relaxing during pregnancy is a bad idea, as it would not allow the proper continuation of Positive feedback mechanism which is very important during paturation.

1 Like

Re: 20 Interesting Things About Water Birth by Nobody: 3:10pm On Aug 03, 2013
Idowuogbo:
Bush gal! Water birth helps you relax and it also helps you feel more in control of your labour.

Make Una feel women wey don born tire cheesy
Re: 20 Interesting Things About Water Birth by Watermelon(m): 3:27pm On Aug 03, 2013
[quote author=Abiyamọ]I want to believe that the British Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists, RCOG, have a better understanding of foetal physiology than anyone on this page. They've given it their stamp of approval. As for the points you've raised, very brilliant points but I will suggest you carefully watch a video of a water birth to see how and when the placenta is cut. [/quote
You should talk about a neonatologist or paediatrician when the baby is born or about to be birthed and the obstetrician does not have any bussness with baby immediately it is outside the womb and at that time, it is no longer a fetus but a neonate, newborn or a baby. I have explained in my previous post that while in the womb, the fetus depends solely on the placenta for oxygen and as the placenta detaches d from the mothers womb, the nostrils or rather the baby's respiratory system which had been inactive in the womb takes over. Mind you, the nostrils and the lungs can only take over outside the womb and if the placental detachment takes place long before delivery or delivery was not expedited immediately following the detachment, that fetus will be a stillborn.
Underwater paturition is not a nascent technique, it had been in existence for decades and the American Paediatrics Association has not endorsed it for the baby even though it cool for the mother.
Pardon my typos from my Nokia 1101 and sleepy eyes, it midnight where I am. grin
Re: 20 Interesting Things About Water Birth by Abiyamo: 3:32pm On Aug 03, 2013
Brilliant points, and I agree with you. I hope the Americans will kowtow soon. Sweet dreams smiley [quote author=Watermelon][/quote]
Re: 20 Interesting Things About Water Birth by Watermelon(m): 3:38pm On Aug 03, 2013
Crying, at birth is a sign of a healthy baby and if the brain of the newborn lacks oxygen, that baby cannot cry and that may be a danger sign. I am sure you seen midwives slapping hell out of the baby's back just to make the little one cry.

1 Like

Re: 20 Interesting Things About Water Birth by Watermelon(m): 3:42pm On Aug 03, 2013
Abiyamọ: Brilliant points, and I agree with you. I hope the Americans will kowtow soon. Sweet dreams smiley
Thank you. I am off to sleep.
Re: 20 Interesting Things About Water Birth by Dstar1(f): 3:45pm On Aug 03, 2013
This can neve be in naija. Hw clean is our hospitals to talk of water pools. Abeg! I no dey 4 dis ooo!

1 Like

Re: 20 Interesting Things About Water Birth by Abiyamo: 3:52pm On Aug 03, 2013
Lmao!!! @SlappingTheHellOut grin
Watermelon: Crying, at birth is a sign of a healthy baby and if the brain of the newborn lacks oxygen, that baby cannot cry and that may be a danger sign. I am sure you seen midwives slapping hell out of the baby's back just to make the little one cry.
Re: 20 Interesting Things About Water Birth by toluene12: 4:03pm On Aug 03, 2013
This water birth thing get as e be o.
The whole process looks unhygienic, i cant imagine sitting in a pool of water contaminated with blood, liquor, fecal matter and debris. And to think 2 to 3 people will be inside the contaminated pool. The risk of infection is real esp to the baby.
The argument that it reliefs labour pain and ensure muscle relaxation to the mother is unconvincing and simply psychosomatic. Its just an alternative way of reassuring anxious mothers. If u're really scared of labour pain, ask for epidural anaesthesia. You will sleep like a baby thruout the 1st stage of labour and the nurses will only wake u up when its time to push. A lot of nigerian hospitals offer epi anaesthesia during labour including established govt hospitals at a relatively affordable cost. It's a lot better than this unsubstantiated and dangerous experiment.
Finally and most importantly, the risk to the newborn is real! distressed babies make use of oxygen during passage thru the birth canal esp in cases of placenta insufficiency or umblical cord compromise. In a pool of water, the baby wont have the needed oxygen instead the baby aspirates contaminated water into her lungs. Thus the baby is at risk of birth asphyxia, brain damage, due to HIE, and pneumonia.
The truth is 95% of delivery will be uneventful irrespective of birth method used and most of these unconventional birth methods offers nothing and are placebo at best.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Gaining Weight / We Are Still COVID-19 Free - Kogi Government Insists / 290 New COVID-19 Cases, 160 Discharged And 5 Deaths On August 10 - (2100 Tested)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.