Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,192 members, 7,839,055 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 01:04 PM

20 Interesting Things About Water Birth - Health (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / 20 Interesting Things About Water Birth (25390 Views)

Info About Water Birth (baby Delivery In Water) / 20 Interesting Facts You Don't Know About Your Tongue / 10 Interesting Things About Veiled Births (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 20 Interesting Things About Water Birth by Nobody: 3:45pm On Aug 04, 2013
Jiteshell:
babies start cryn after the muscus has been has been suckd out of d mouth and nostrils, it's probably on very rare cases that the child cries immediately it comes out. I doubt if it even happens
The medical reason as to why they cry is because they need oxygen, ma. Lemme do some Google search and give a link to medical article
Re: 20 Interesting Things About Water Birth by Nobody: 3:48pm On Aug 04, 2013
trolling: were they deprived of oxygen in the womb if thats the reason why they cry,or in those watersack that they are encased in isnt oxygen an element in water,abeg tell your story to babies wink me i wan surmise say dem cry because they are being born into a world of trouble
Funny! O'level chemistry is still messing with you. If you think people can survive in water because it contains oxygen, God help you in swimming the Atlantic.

1 Like

Re: 20 Interesting Things About Water Birth by Abiyamo: 3:59pm On Aug 04, 2013
Oh....lol! I get your point now...lol! Yes, of course, positive feedback is needed when the muscles of the myometrium start contracting, that's elementary physiology, Ganong et al. But I didn't know you were talking of relaxation of muscles...lol! I thought you meant that relaxing, as in, not stressing herself by avoiding strenuous tasks during pregnancy is bad, that's why I was surprised...lol! Your point now makes perfect sense to me. Thanks for taking time to explain.
adeaugustus:

Sorry for the typo.

Let me explain the principle of positive feedback mechanism to you...

The body is expected to be in complete homeostasis for you to remain healthy, but this is almost impossible, due to different reasons. So as nature will have it, we have different control system in the body that is responsible for the maintenance of homeostasis. Most of the control system are Negative feedback, i.e. When something is happening somewhere, the body through receptor sends message to the brain and the brain send message back by instructing the process to stop, that's the simple English of negative feedback.

Positive feedback on the other hand is very rare and it may lead to death, the simple English explanation is this: When something unusual is happening and the brain receives signal and instead of instructing it to stop, it instructs the process to continue, example is during child birth and blood clot.

When a pregnant woman is in labour, what happens is that, the womb contracts, and the foetus head hits the cervix, this process continues until delivery. Positive feedback is what helps the womb to contract. This explanation is a bit simple, but it's a complicated medical process that would probably have no meaning to you if you're not in the medical field.

Shey you don get am now? As in why relaxing during child birth no good?

1 Like

Re: 20 Interesting Things About Water Birth by Abiyamo: 4:00pm On Aug 04, 2013
Okies, I'll be glad to see that.
adeaugustus:
The medical reason as to why they cry is because they need oxygen, ma. Lemme do some Google search and give a link to medical article

1 Like

Re: 20 Interesting Things About Water Birth by Abiyamo: 4:02pm On Aug 04, 2013
Where or were? SMH.
free2ryhme: where you paid for this publicity stunt
Re: 20 Interesting Things About Water Birth by Nobody: 4:04pm On Aug 04, 2013
This articles explains why baby cry immediately after birth: It's an anatomical and physiological issue, so you might want to put a medical dictionary beside you... Enjoy.

www.whale.to/a/morley4.html
Re: 20 Interesting Things About Water Birth by Abiyamo: 4:15pm On Aug 04, 2013
I don't really need a dictionary for that. Studied anatomy and physiology too and I am in the field myself. I have read the piece, a brilliant one I must say BUT nowhere was it stated that babies cry because they are desperate for oxygen like you stated. Let me quote your source: All of this complicated process is coordinated and controlled by the child’s reflexes; it usually happens within three or four minutes of birth. What makes it happen?

All babies are born soaking wet, and on meeting the atmosphere, the skin cools; this triggers two reflexes:

The cold crying reflex - cold, wet diapers produce the same result, crying.
The cold pressor reflex - cold skin raises blood pressure.
[b]In order to cry, the child must first take a deep breath, and an inspiratory "gasp" is often the first sign, triggered by cold, that a child is going to cry or breathe. Contraction of the diaphragm and intercostal muscles increase thoracic volume and create negative intra-thoracic pressure. Once air is in the lungs, another reflex is triggered that relaxes the pulmonary arterioles; this causes an enormous increase in pulmonary blood flow.

The cold pressor reflex increases the blood pressure in the aorta, and this may be sufficient to reverse blood flow through the ductus arteriosus causing more blood to flow through the lungs.

The cord is also cooling, and the cord is a well-designed self-refrigerator. It has no skin and blubber to keep it warm like the child. It contains only the cord vessels surrounded by a watery gel, Wharton’s jelly, covered by a single layer of cells, the amnion. Water evaporation cools it rapidly, causing the vessels, especially the muscular arteries, to constrict; this further helps to raise systemic blood pressure and to reverse ductus arteriosus flow.[/b] But again, brilliant piece!
adeaugustus: This articles explains why baby cry immediately after birth: It's an anatomical and physiological issue, so you might want to put a medical dictionary beside you... Enjoy.

www.whale.to/a/morley4.html

2 Likes

Re: 20 Interesting Things About Water Birth by Nobody: 4:30pm On Aug 04, 2013
[Quote] Contraction
of the diaphragm and intercostal muscles
increase thoracic volume and create
negative intra-thoracic pressure. Once air is
in the lungs, another reflex is triggered that
relaxes the pulmonary arterioles; this causes
an enormous increase in pulmonary blood
flow. [/Quote]

Great to know you're in the field too! The part I quote occurs as a result of inspiration right? Which means baby don't cry until they inhale. I might have to do more reading on this before I can start a reasonable argument.

But thanks for "Pushing" me into reading, I will come back to affirm my claim with medical facts.

1 Like

Re: 20 Interesting Things About Water Birth by trolling(m): 4:48pm On Aug 04, 2013
adeaugustus:
Funny! O'level chemistry is still messing with you. If you think people can survive in water because it contains oxygen, God help you in swimming the Atlantic.
so how do babies live then in the womb if they dont have any source of oxygen,me i no go medical school but i get common sense,use your logic,that is if you can apply it grin
Re: 20 Interesting Things About Water Birth by Abiyamo: 5:41pm On Aug 04, 2013
No problems at all, it is always mutually beneficial rubbing minds with people like you. Wonderful contributions from your end.
adeaugustus: [Quote] Contraction
of the diaphragm and intercostal muscles
increase thoracic volume and create
negative intra-thoracic pressure. Once air is
in the lungs, another reflex is triggered that
relaxes the pulmonary arterioles; this causes
an enormous increase in pulmonary blood
flow. [/Quote]

Great to know you're in the field too! The part I quote occurs as a result of inspiration right? Which means baby don't cry until they inhale. I might have to do more reading on this before I can start a reasonable argument.

But thanks for "Pushing" me into reading, I will come back to affirm my claim with medical facts.

1 Like

Re: 20 Interesting Things About Water Birth by Nobody: 6:36pm On Aug 04, 2013
trolling: so how do babies live then in the womb if they dont have any source of oxygen,me i no go medical school but i get common sense,use your logic,that is if you can apply it grin
I never said they don't have any source of oxygen, Normally I shouldn't have replied, but you never can tell who is surfing the web for an assignment, better clarification would help such people.

ABOUT THE FOETUS.

It's not a rocket science, and there is nothing called LOGIC when it comes to the issue of life (medicine), studying about the Placenta and the Umblical cord would answer your question on how Foetus are supplied with oxygen and nutrients. You can please read the article on the link above, it will help clarify issue. Thanks.
Re: 20 Interesting Things About Water Birth by Abiyamo: 7:33pm On Aug 04, 2013
Yes, you are right. Medicine is not about logic. In fact, often times, things you see are far from logical.
adeaugustus:
I never said they don't have any source of oxygen, Normally I shouldn't have replied, but you never can tell who is surfing the web for an assignment, better clarification would help such people.

ABOUT THE FOETUS.

It's not a rocket science, and there is nothing called LOGIC when it comes to the issue of life (medicine), studying about the Placenta and the Umblical cord would answer your question on how Foetus are supplied with oxygen and nutrients. You can please read the article on the link above, it will help clarify issue. Thanks.

1 Like

Re: 20 Interesting Things About Water Birth by mzkanye(f): 10:03am On Aug 05, 2013
Omoh..will try it out 4 mi first son...I love it!
Re: 20 Interesting Things About Water Birth by danistone(f): 7:05am On Aug 06, 2013
I have heard of many women that have done water births. I think that the best part of this is doing it in your own home. The atmosphere of being at home is probably much more soothing than a hospital.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

Gaining Weight / We Are Still COVID-19 Free - Kogi Government Insists / 290 New COVID-19 Cases, 160 Discharged And 5 Deaths On August 10 - (2100 Tested)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.