Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,626 members, 7,813,058 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 06:01 AM

F.g, Please Demand These From ASUU - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / F.g, Please Demand These From ASUU (1016 Views)

BREAKING-boko Haram And F.G Reaches Ceasefire Agreement(picture) / Breaking News; F.g To Shut Down Black Berry Service Today (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

F.g, Please Demand These From ASUU by kingviny: 9:28am On Aug 04, 2013
F.G, you are the manager of our national patrimony. Please demand these from ASUU:-

1. Their members should stop the selling of handouts, they should make video DVDs of their lectures to serve as a supplementary learning aids for their students.

2. Each lecturer should have a blog (with threads) like that of Nairaland for him/her to interact with his/her students with for supplementary and effective communication (online Q&A sessions).

3. Lecturers should stop seeing themselves as demi-gods but as friends and parents to students. That all sadists and bad teachers (poor teaching skills) among them should be given Jonathan's booth.

4. All exam results must come out within 2 weeks after the completion of all exams so that students can know their results on time and be able to plan better for the next semester.

5. Graduates must get their certificates on their convocation day.

6. That examination should be re-designed to evaluate student's understanding of the course (application) and not student's ability to COPY & PASTE crammed definitions. Each lecturer should prepare a synoptic summary of his/ course which should then contain all the definitions and summary of what he/she wants to teach to aid students in the mastery of his/her course.

7. Productivity Allowance should only be paid to lecturers with 70% pass rate i.e 70% of his/her students must pass (C-pass) his/her course on merit based on effective teaching. Greatness lies in simplicity. If a lecturer has not mastered his/her subject to the extent that he/she is able to effectively teach it, then he/she is not fit to be employed in the system.

IF ASUU CAN FULFILL ALL THESE 7-POINT AGENDA, F.G, PLEASE DOUBLE THEIR SALARIES. IF THEY CAN'T , F.G PLEASE REDUCE THEIR SALARIES BY 50% AND LET THE LAW OF DEMAND AND SUPPLY BRING YOU ANOTHER SET OF WORK FORCE . THEY ARE SHORT CHANGING YOU (POOR SERVICE)!

STUDENTS DESERVE THE BEST. THE 7-POINT AGENDA IS NOT ROCKET SCIENCE AND ASUU DOES NOT NEED BILLIONS TO DO THE ABOVE, THEY ALREADY HAVE THE TOOLS FOR THESE WITHIN THE SYSTEM.

IF ASUU WANTS THEIR MEMBERS TO BE PAID LIKE THEIR COUNTERPARTS ABROAD, THEN THEY SHOULD ALSO DEMAND OF THEIR MEMBERS TO WORK LIKE THEIR COUNTERPARTS ABROAD.

ASUU, YOU CAN DO BETTER.

I MISS MY UNISA (University of South Africa), THE 7-POINT AGENDA ABOVE IS A PIECE OF CAKE TO THEM.

10 Likes

Re: F.g, Please Demand These From ASUU by yorex2011: 9:51am On Aug 04, 2013
thumbs up!!! well said
Re: F.g, Please Demand These From ASUU by Enegod(m): 10:00am On Aug 04, 2013
and they should also stop harassing our young girls
Re: F.g, Please Demand These From ASUU by shevon: 11:47am On Aug 04, 2013
I wonder why this has not made front page. If this can be implemented, I'd go back to school for another first degree.
Re: F.g, Please Demand These From ASUU by kingviny: 12:10pm On Aug 04, 2013
If we can all continue to promote this article over all the social media available, then it will be able to reach the right people who will help effect the change one day.

Nothing can change until we DEMAND a change because status quo is very comfortable for the wicked and the mediocre !

Let the mass awareness ... BEGIN!
Re: F.g, Please Demand These From ASUU by Edipee(m): 1:47pm On Aug 04, 2013
Brilliant write-up, but you cannot reap where you did not sow. Let Government meet their demand 1st, thereafter ASUU will be well equipped to carry out your agenda.
Re: F.g, Please Demand These From ASUU by Nobody: 2:00pm On Aug 04, 2013
Edipee: Brilliant write-up, but you cannot reap where you did not sow. Let Government meet their demand 1st, thereafter ASUU will be well equipped to carry out your agenda.
The only sensible post on this thread so far. Let the government fund the university adequately first and pay lecturers what the national assembly and executives earn, then we would see if they will sell handouts
Re: F.g, Please Demand These From ASUU by Nobody: 2:19pm On Aug 04, 2013
A Nigerian with brainz!!! HIGHLY SECONDED. demi gods? lol
Re: F.g, Please Demand These From ASUU by Dospix(m): 3:11pm On Aug 04, 2013
A very sensible thread...front page pls. Our lecturers keep making demands;demands that end up having nothing to show for it. The Nigerian students should hold ASUU and Fg responsible for the deplorable state of our universities.
Re: F.g, Please Demand These From ASUU by proffemi: 5:25pm On Aug 04, 2013
Obiagelli:
The only sensible post on this thread so far. Let the government fund the university adequately first and pay lecturers what the national assembly and executives earn, then we would see if they will sell handouts

Although I agree with the first part of your comment, I do not like the second part. Academics should please stop this habit of comparing themselves with national assembly members. It detracts attention from more important points. Whatever reason we have for doing this job should have nothing to do with what Senators earn.

@OP, as a lecturer, I agree totally with the spirit of your post. I do not wish to nitpick, so I won't state little disagreements I have with some points. Long story short, I'm all for the idea of government properly funding university education and then taking steps to ensure that academics deliver.
Re: F.g, Please Demand These From ASUU by Iniobon(m): 7:16pm On Aug 04, 2013
[quote author=Obiagelli]
The only sensible post on this thread so far. Let the government fund the university adequately first and pay lecturers what the national assembly and executives earn, then we would see if they will sell handouts I beg to differ sir, any ASUU member that wants to earn as much as the National assembly member, let him resign his Lecturing appointment and contest for National assembly job. Why jealousing what politicians earn as though one is bar from going into politics. They should rather advocate for harmony in salary structure in all ministries. A B.SC in any ministry or agency should be paid same salary.
Re: F.g, Please Demand These From ASUU by kingviny: 10:06am On Aug 10, 2013
Obiagelli:

You don't pour water into a leaking bucket. Fix the bucket 1st before you pour water so that it doesn't go to waste.

The 7 point demands are deficits ASUU has been owing us for too long a time. Money is not the real problem with Nigeria's public institutions but EFFECTIVE MANAGEMENT.

A well managed citadel of learning will always attract great endowments.
Re: F.g, Please Demand These From ASUU by ITbomb(m): 11:12am On Aug 10, 2013
kingviny: F.G, you are the manager of our national patrimony. Please demand these from ASUU:-

1. Their members should stop the selling of handouts, they should make video DVDs of their lectures to serve as a supplementary learning aids for their students.
And this is one of the main demands by ASUU
xi.. . . Provision of Research Equipment to laboratories
and classrooms in our universities.
████

2. Each lecturer should have a blog (with threads) like that of Nairaland for him/her to interact with his/her students with for supplementary and effective communication (online Q&A sessions).

Same as No. 1. Research equipments include Projectors in classroom , a functioning webpage or blog or forum and online resources database. Those are demanded by ASUU ████

3. Lecturers should stop seeing themselves as demi-gods but as friends and parents to students. That all sadists and bad teachers (poor teaching skills) among them should be given Jonathan's booth.
More investment in education and infrastructure will see more lecture rooms and more lecturers. If the student-lecturer ratio is at most 20-30 to one than the current 400 to one, u will see better learning relationship between lecturers and students. U will be surprise how friendly most lecturers are when u get close to them ████

4. All exam results must come out within 2 weeks after the completion of all exams so that students can know their results on time and be able to plan better for the next semester.
For a lecturer to handle 600 students to 2 , at different levels when his colleagues abroad are marking at most 30 exams script per semester , don't expect miracles.
Investment in Education will employ more lecturers, and make result compilation more IT based ████

5. Graduates must get their certificates on their convocation day.
that will not be a problem if more lecturers handle fewer students ████

6. That examination should be re-designed to evaluate student's understanding of the course (application) and not student's ability to COPY & PASTE crammed definitions.
Brilliant but how will a students have mastery of what is being taught when he is at the 20th row of the classroom and can barely hear what the lecturer is saying ████

7. Productivity Allowance should only be paid to lecturers with 70% pass rate.
For a chemistry lecturer who was trained in a well equipped lab and class to be teaching students who are using kerosene stove as bunsen burner and 50 students share one test tube, it would be the height of irresponsibility to claim that 70% of your students passed the chemistry exam and could perform most of the experiments by themselves ████

IF ASUU CAN FULFILL ALL THESE 7-POINT AGENDA, F.G, PLEASE DOUBLE THEIR SALARIES.
No. 5 of ASUU demand is EARNED allowances, if FG provide all these and ASUU does not deliver then going by their words, they shouldn't earn their allowances ████

STUDENTS DESERVE THE BEST.
That is why ASUU is on strike to ensure that the certificate given to you is the best worldwide not just a paper to show that u can learn ████
ASUU DOES NOT NEED BILLIONS TO DO THE ABOVE
ASUU will not build lecture rooms are equip the lab or employ more hands , it is the government that is to provide the conducive learning environment for students and lecturers alike and government is failing and THEY KNOW IT ████

, THEY ALREADY HAVE THE TOOLS FOR THESE WITHIN THE SYSTEM.
U call a jam packed classroom or a lab for 500 undergraduates with 5 test tube , tools?
You really need education not what the government is providing for you presently ████

IF ASUU WANTS THEIR MEMBERS TO BE PAID LIKE THEIR COUNTERPARTS ABROAD, THEN THEY SHOULD ALSO DEMAND OF THEIR MEMBERS TO WORK LIKE THEIR COUNTERPARTS ABROAD.
At last we agree on a point but I will add ' GIVEN THE SAME WORKING AND TEACHING ENVIRONMENT AS THEIR COUNTERPARTS ABROAD ████

For the record here is the list of ASUU demands for good of Nigerian students
www.osundefender.org/?p=107249
Re: F.g, Please Demand These From ASUU by kingviny: 4:23pm On Aug 10, 2013
ITBOMB, you should know that about 80% of F.G's income is currently being used to take care of recurrent expenditure and 20% on capital infrastructure.

Looking at the expenditure profile above as a reality, if you are called upon as a consultant to advise the F.G on how to handle institutional demands (because after ASUU, many will follow suite) what will be your advise?

If you say they should reduce from the recurrent side to increase the capital side then, MANY WORKERS (including ASUU members) WILL NEED TO BE SACKED!

If you say they should reduce from the capital side to increase allocation on the recurrent side then, INFRASTRUCTURE WILL SUFFER! as it has been suffering hitherto!

What then is the way out:- ACCOUNTABILITY, CONTROL, CREATIVITY AND EFFICIENCY (ACCE principle)

Waste, incompetence and corruption should be eliminated from the system so that we can actually then have more from both side to augment what obviously is one of the cardinal problem bedeviling our educational sector - infrastructure.

Not until then should major allocations be made in my own opinion. It will just result into pouring water into a perforated bucket! if more money is poured as usual.

If we can apply the ACCE principle judiciously, we will be able to make a lot of savings which can then be used to improve on this pathetic status quo.

You don't throw money into a disfunctional system, you audit it, re-engineer it and then reform it.

The Ministry of agriculture under the indefatigable leadership of Dr. Adewunmi Adesina is a case study to learn from.

Dr. Adewunmi did not ask for more money from President Jonathan when he took over that 'sick' ministry, he instead set out first to block major areas of corruption (e.g fertilizer racketeering, contracts e.t.c) in his system - ACCOUNTABILITY

He then came up with the idea of using mobile phone technology to be dissipating information and opportunities directly to registered farmers so that they can benefit directly and be able to cut out corrupt middle men. - CONTROL AND CREATIVITY

With pragmatic evaluation of where we were agriculturally, and the scientific forecasting of where he wanted us to be, given the resources at his disposal, he was and he is still putting in place efficient systems that is now giving rise to great results in that sector of our economy ( which will soon be visible on a larger scale) - EFFICIENCY

Why would all the tiers of government and even the private sector not be willing to then fund this positively working man and his Ministry?

Deliver then Demand.

Let the ministry of education and ASUU work together to block all the leakages in their system, deliver the 7 point agenda above ( which I still insist can be done by them without billions) and then make the utmost use of what they are getting now to set the ball rolling for intervention from the F.G etc.

The savings made from their system and from other systems in the country can then be used to take care of the infrastructure in all of our schools holistically and not one-sidedly.

This is my position, ITBOMB.
Re: F.g, Please Demand These From ASUU by ITbomb(m): 6:28pm On Aug 10, 2013
I do not see how any of your 7p agenda could save money in the system.
I may have to educate you that ASUU is a body of lecturers AND NOT the management of the universities. On my record , SSANU , the senior staff - VCs n co, are not on strike and are even reported to be using consultants to conduct post UTME exams to the dismay of ASUU.
So the question of accountability is more of SSANU and Min of Education concern than ASUU .
I may add a little politics here that GEJ administration has been the most truthful .whereas before , when government signed the UNESCO charter to allocate at least 10% of the budget to education , didn't they remember that other ministries existed.
What ASUU is even demanding is an implemention of a previously agreed solutions. If government could not execute the agreement , why sign it and deceive Nigerians in the first place.
What ASUU is demanding is just a conducive learning environment for both students and lecturers so that they can give in their best.
The backbone of any industrial society are the 3 powers - Electric Power , Military Power and Mind Power. Allocating 40% of budget to these 3 is the sure path to greatness. Level playing and its children eg Federal Character has been the bane of development of Nigeria. We need to identify the areas to take us forward and invest massively in it then other sectors will automatically move up.
Eg in electricity , giving power to key industrial cities will progress the country than trying to supply equal power to all the states .
Finally as I said , ur 7 point agenda is not workable in Nigeria as u said worked in SA given the present environment.
Nowhere can a lecturer develop personal relationship with 400 students in a one year class.
Nowhere can a lecturer finish compilation of results of 400 students and publish them 2 weeks after exams.
In my opinion no students in Nigerian universities should be given a first class cos they are not even learning in a first class environment.
Re: F.g, Please Demand These From ASUU by kingviny: 11:14am On Aug 11, 2013
ITbomb: I do not see how any of your 7p agenda could save money in the system.

Billions of naira are paid annually as salaries to train half baked graduates and you don't see that as a colossal waste?

I may have to educate you that ASUU is a body of lecturers AND NOT the management of the universities. On my record , SSANU , the senior staff - VCs n co, are not on strike and are even reported to be using consultants to conduct post UTME exams to the dismay of ASUU.

Are SSANU members also not lecturers? I am actually talking about improved service delivery by our lecturers given the limitations which they were aware of before taken up the job. I agree with you that there is the need to improve on infrastructure but the issue is, how best are they making use of the little they have right now.

So the question of accountability is more of SSANU and Min of Education concern than ASUU .

Why the Bulk passing. ASUU should also then indict SSANU and MOE if they really want a long lasting change in the system.
If they succeed in winning more funding that will still be manged by SSANU or MOE, what will be the net gain. What has been the net gain after every strike in this country?

I may add a little politics here that GEJ administration has been the most truthful .whereas before , when government signed the UNESCO charter to allocate at least 10% of the budget to education , didn't they remember that other ministries existed.
What ASUU is even demanding is an implemention of a previously agreed solutions. If government could not execute the agreement , why sign it and deceive Nigerians in the first place.

Deceive Nigerians? or ASUU you mean. Well, I can sympathize with ASUU and that's why they have to take active interest in politics.

If these lecturers are doing the 7 point agenda, their student will then definitely love them. They will trust them to transform this country should they form a political party and contest to wrestle power from the present crop of rulers. Just imagine the magnitude of the combined votes of all their students , parents of their students , friends of their students, tertiary institution workers e.t.c. Even if they don't then win the Presidency, they can try to capture the Assembly and then influence things from there.

We need leadership in this country. Who better than our beloved academics (with international exposures) should be the ones to constitute the critical mass that will galvanize the citizenry to deliver us from the enemies of this potentially great a nation.

What ASUU is demanding is just a conducive learning environment for both students and lecturers so that they can give in their best.

Do you know that with the use of IT tools like Facebook and Youtube, lecturers can improve their service delivery? and it is free to use this tool. They just have to be creative.

With Facebook, a lecturer can open an account for his/her subject and add all his/her students as learning friends. With this tool, they can easily collaborate. Facebook is not just for gossip, let's be creative please.

With Youtube, a lecturer can comfortably sit in his/her office and make use of a class rep to use his/her camera phone to record his/her lecture presentations which will then be uploaded to his/her account with Youtube for easy download and view by his/her students in equally, the comfort of their rooms on campus.

Even this can be used for practicals too so that haven watched the experiments on video, it will then be easy for students to come in batches to the lab to put to practice what they had already watched on video and master it with lesser effort from the lecturer.

The backbone of any industrial society are the 3 powers - Electric Power , Military Power and Mind Power. Allocating 40% of budget to these 3 is the sure path to greatness. Level playing and its children eg Federal Character has been the bane of development of Nigeria. We need to identify the areas to take us forward and invest massively in it then other sectors will automatically move up.
Eg in electricity , giving power to key industrial cities will progress the country than trying to supply equal power to all the states .

We know this. What in practical terms do we then do about it to change things. Let the change we desire start from us.

Finally as I said , ur 7 point agenda is not workable in Nigeria as u said worked in SA given the present environment.
Nowhere can a lecturer develop personal relationship with 400 students in a one year class.
Nowhere can a lecturer finish compilation of results of 400 students and publish them 2 weeks after exams.
In my opinion no students in Nigerian universities should be given a first class cos they are not even learning in a first class environment.

It is very workable. How many friends are on the average on the facebook account of many of us? we post information and they all see it don't they. If you have a question and you post it, you can easily tap from the minds of all the other learning friends and the lecturer easily without haven to cluster in a classroom.

With barcode technology, you can scan shaded answer papers and get 1000s of scripts marked in a matter of minutes. The hardware and programmers for this are already in the system. If our Masters and Ph.D students in I.T can't do this, then it is just a pity!

Finally, we should become problem solvers and not textbook writers or grammar mongers. What is the essence of education if not to solve problem?

Jobs are created when solutions are created. The quality of life in the society is also improved and life on planet earth is made a little Paradise.

America(USA) is the cynosure of all eyes because they got it right in education and technology. They also ensured that products from their Ivy leagues schools get to captain their ship. Can you compare Obama with Jonathan?

Nigeria's Ivy league products, it's time to rise up and take over. I support ASUU but I want them to lead by example. QED.

(1) (Reply)

INCREDILE: How 18 Year Old Played Dead To Survive Kenya Terrorist Attack / ‘shame, Shame, Shame’ Mugabe Tells U.S., Britain / We Had Premonition Of Tragedy -family Member

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.