Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,782 members, 7,817,248 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 08:44 AM

First Lab-grown Burger Is "Like A Protein Cake" - Food - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Food / First Lab-grown Burger Is "Like A Protein Cake" (699 Views)

The Chicken Burger I Bought At Onitsha Restaurant (Pictures) / Which Is The Best Source Of Protein,animal Protein Or Plant Protein? / Peanut Burger (2) (3) (4)

(1)

First Lab-grown Burger Is "Like A Protein Cake" by dustydee: 8:27pm On Aug 05, 2013
Yahoo! News reporter Rob Waugh was one of a select number of journalists invited to witness the unveiling of the world's first test tube burger...

“Even if I had closed my eyes, I would have known the difference - it was crunchy, like a cake, and the texture was... surprising,” says Austrian food researcher Hanni Ruetzler.

Food writer Josh Schonwald says, “You mentioned the word cake - that’s what it was like... an animal protein cake.”

The burger looks much like a traditional one - a perfect pink disc with colour added from beetroot juice. In a frying pan, it sizzles like the real thing – although the way it goes brown is slightly artificial, like a frozen supermarket burger. It also seems to lack the smell of the real thing.

It’s the first laboratory-grown burger ever served to members of the public.

Chef Richard McGowan cooked it in front of an audience in a small studio in West London. The crowd included film crews from Japan and a smattering of technologists from firms aiming to enter the synthetic meat industry.

The burger has “lived” in a dish for three months - “shorter than it takes to grow a cow”, points out Dutch physician Dr Mark Post. The cells grow in a jelly in a Petri dish, supplied with serums and antibiotics, “flexing” as they grown into tiny tubes.

Post’s “cultured beef” is meant to act as a subsitute, to offset the environmental costs of growing “real” beef. As it is cooked, Ruetzler says, "I'm very keen to taste it, it's a very interesting technology."

"If I offered this to people in the streets - probably their primary answer would be, "No, are you out of your mind?" Post says. He informs the room that the name - “cultured beef” - was chosen because 'it’s better than Frankenburger'. The technology could be used to create anything from pork to chicken.

Despite pleas from the audience, only three people tasted the burger - the two critics and the burger’s creator. The few crumbs of meat left over were spirited away - although Post suggested he might feed them to his children later.

More than one trillion cells can be grown from one cell taken from a cow, Post says - enough for ten tonnes of meat. Post says, "We took muscle from a cow through a harmless procedure - they contain cells that can repair tissue when it's injured. We make from one cell 40 billion cells - enough for a burger. We let them form into tissues - muscle fibres . There are 20,000 muscle fibres in that hamburger."

Schonwald says that the texture of the “minced” fibres is better than the textured vegetable proteins currently used in “mock meats” - and somewhere "between" those and a McDonalds burger.

source: http://uk.news.yahoo.com/first-lab-grown-burger-is--like-a-protein-cake--143413831.html#rMZO7oy
Re: First Lab-grown Burger Is "Like A Protein Cake" by MissyB3(f): 6:47pm On Aug 08, 2013

(1)

Suggest Another Meal That Can Replace Rice On Chrismas Day / 5 Tips For Getting Rich On Food / Catering School Lekki

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.